• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Inside Out is the best Pixar movie of them all*

Tangled is an absolute fave of mine and Zootopia was a very fun time.

*... although I still haven't seen Coco for some reason.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Moana and Coco are the two movies that you must watch. Incredibles 2 is also alright, but it's not a pressing issue if you don't watch it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
WDAS and Pixar have been on a hot streak for over a decade now. The only misses are the Cars movies. Pixar's sequels/prequels outside of Toy Story are also not up to the quality standard of their original stuff, but still worth a watch if you've run through everything else.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
We went to see Moana almost on a lark, like "hey, we've got a free evening, might as well check it out in the theatre." By 3 minutes in, it was clear that this was something really special.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Incredibles 2 is amazing btw. The family dynamic is even stronger than the first and the action is so fresh and exciting. It has issues like a weak villain but that does not drag the film down that much. Some people like to call it terrible but it's better than 99% of other superhero films that have come out in the past decade.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Tangled is one of my all-time favorite "classic style" Disney movies. It's beautifully animated, it's funny, it has a great Alan Menken score, etc.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Tangled should be required viewing if for no other reason than as an introduction to the animated series that is a direct continuation of the story, is epic as fuck with lots of cool characters, and has a nice theme song.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI, do not skip Toy Story 4 despite basically nobody mentioning it here. Its some of their most impressive animation hands down.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Special shout-out to Soul because it is legit an animated movie for adults. Not even exaggerating, not talking about "family-friendly", it actually feels like a movie mainly targeting adults because I can't imagine children getting its messages.

It's a stupid film and it's rubbish and if you like it you're stupid.

Review from my six year old daughter...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Almost every single animated movie they made since aside from the Cars ones. They have been on fire.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
The recommended movies above are good choices, however nowadays quality 2d animation shifted to Europe and Asia

Eg the much lower budgete Song of the Sea tops all Disney/Pixar output in serious story development and has traits that would not fit in USA conmercial movies.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Moana is overrated. Charming character, charming first third, then the movie falls completely off and becomes a 'triforce hunt'-style mindless trek across the ocean. Bottom tier.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Inside Out
Wreck it Ralph
Moana

If you're a fan of Toy Story, then can't go wrong with 3 & 4 either.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow wow wow. First we have to seperate the pixar movies from the official Disney animated movies (Masterwork line) here.

Best Disney movies were definitely Tangled, my absolute favorite since Aladdin, Moana and Frozen.

Pixar, I really liked Brave, haven't seen Coco and Soul yet oh and Toy Story 3 is a f'n masterpiece of course.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Tangled is the best
Moana is awesome
Tangled is their best work in many, many years.
Tangled and Moana are top tier. Coco is pretty amazing as well. I have a soft spot for Brave too.
Tangled, Moana and Zootopia are top-tier, as for Pixar, I'd say Coco and Inside Out.
Tangled and Moana are the best, with Frozen being a close third.
There's a lot of good films from DIsney and Pixar since Wall-E

From PIxar:
Up
Toy Story 3&4
Inside Out
Coco
Onward
Soul
Incredibles 2
Brave

From Disney:
Bolt
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Moana
Zootopia

Go watch Coco. Bring a tissue.
Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Moana

are the only essentials that you missed
My favorites in order
Moana, Tangled, Coco, Frozen, Toy Story 3, Princess Frog, Soul
For WDAU, Moana is top tier but Bolt, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen and Zoomtopia are all worth watching.

For Pixar: Up, Coco and Inside Out are top tier. And Brave, Monsters University and The Incredibles 2 are highly entertaining.
I'll have to echo this, it's just a really good portfolio from Disney Animation and Pixar despite some stumbles such as the aforementioned and The Good Dinosaur. I'd even say Brave is still decent, just nowhere near the usual quality and very by-the-numbers.

If I had to tier the line-up (no order within the tiers):

Great:
*Tangled
*Moana
*Zootopia
*Coco
*Toy Story 3
*Soul

Good:
*Up
*Inside Out
*The Princess and the Frog
*Big Hero 6
*Wreck-It-Ralph
*Wall-E (included to set the baseline you're working with)

Decent (MMV depending on where you sit on demographic or relation to subject/themes):
*Frozen
*Onward
*Monsters University

Passable:
*Brave
*The Incredibles 2

Forget It:
*Cars 2
*Wreck-It-Ralph 2 (Best of these three and just misses passable, so mmv I guess)
*The Good Dinosaur

Can't speak for Bolt (always forget about this one), Cars 3, Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4, though the last of which seems great from what I gleaned from the kids story books.

Edit: Most of the shorts from Pixar are worth checking out as well
watch it now
moana
tangled
frozen
coco
zootopia
inside out
soul

watch it soon
toy story 3
toy story 4
frozen 2
the princess and the frog

watch it eventually
brave
bolt
the good dinosaur
wreck-it ralph
wreck it ralph fuck up the wifi
big hero 6
find that dory fish
Incredibles 2
onward

meh, maybe
spies in disguise
tinker bell
the tinker bell sequels
cars 3
monsters university
a christmas carol nightmare fuel edition

hard pass
mars needs moms
cars 2

hard piss
planes
planes 2
Coco, Soul, Tangled, Zootopia, Toy Story 3, Inside Out --- in that order. Pass everything else.
Tangled, Coco, and Soul are must-sees. Get on that.

Wreck-It Ralph (but only the first one), Zootopia, and Moana are also great
Inside Out, Coco, Moana, Tangled, Soul, Zootopia, and Toy Story 3 and 4.

Be sure to check out all of the animated shorts too.
I definitely agree with Tangled and Moana as quality Disney. For Pixar, everyone seems to be on the mark. However, I honestly believe that Monsters University and Finding Dory are being slept on in my honest opinion. And Zootopia
is essentially an animated introduction into systemic racism. I think some of the messaging (especially when it comes to predators) is a bit muddled as it tries to both sides an issue by making real-life analogues for something that's entirely to complex address in a kids film, but it's a gorgeous, imaginative movie
Pixar's top five since 2008:
1. Coco
2. Up
3. Soul and Inside Out
5. Toy Story 3

Disney's top five since 2008:
1. Moana and Zootopia
3. Wreck-It-Ralph
4. Tangled
5. Frozen

Best soundtrack is easily Moana.
Tangled might be Disney's best animated movie since before acquiring Pixar

Wreck-It Ralph is really fun. The sequel not so much but if you already have Disney+ no reason not to watch it

Zootopia is a real treat
As most people already said, Tangled, Moana, Coco and Frozen are top tier, in that order.
Moana is an absolute must watch.

Tangled, Both Frozen movies, Zootopia, Wreck it Ralph. Really any Pixar movie.....fuck. Basically any of them!

But Moana is THE film to watch. It's the best of the best.
Inside Out is the best Pixar movie of them all*

Tangled is an absolute fave of mine and Zootopia was a very fun time.

*... although I still haven't seen Coco for some reason.
Moana, Coco, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Frozen and Tangled are all excellent.
Tangled is one of my all-time favorite "classic style" Disney movies. It's beautifully animated, it's funny, it has a great Alan Menken score, etc.
Tangled should be required viewing if for no other reason than as an introduction to the animated series that is a direct continuation of the story, is epic as fuck with lots of cool characters, and has a nice theme song.
You'll notice Coco, Tangled and Moana on pretty much everybody's list. Start there.
Zootopia, Tangled and Coco!
Quoted for truth
giphy.gif

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't include them on my previous post, but I really like Brave and Onward. They got some of the best spins to family dynamics carrying the plot. They are a bit uneven overall, but the relationship between main characters are fantastic.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me that I haven't seen Monsters University and Finding Dory yet, as someone who loved Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo.
Also The Good Dinosaur and Cars 2&3. Didn't like Cars 1 (it was the only mediocre Pixar animation until that day for me), so maybe won't watch 2&3 in future, but should watch The Good Dinosaur some day.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Basically all of them.
They are all varying degrees of good, some are awesome.
Definitely Coco, Soul, Moana, Zootopia

Oct 27, 2017
You can given Frozen a miss, way overrated.

Inside Out was brilliant.

Moana was brilliant.

Moana has a top soundtrack and characters.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
This thread reminded me that I haven't seen Monsters University and Finding Dory yet, as someone who loved Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo.
Also The Good Dinosaur and Cars 2&3. Didn't like Cars 1 (it was the only mediocre Pixar animation until that day for me), so maybe won't watch 2&3 in future, but should watch The Good Dinosaur some day.

I loved Monsters University (and actually Cars 3 in a similar vein) for its message. You can have a dream and strive for it, but how you accomplish things might not be what you expected and that's perfectly okay. Such a surprising and real lesson in kid's movies.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
From Pixar: Toy Story 3 and Inside Out.

From Disney: Tangled and Wreck-it Ralph. And then Moana even if just for the songs.

But almost all of them are worth checking out. They have been very consistent lately.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked people love Tangled so much. I thought it was fairly mediocre. The TV show is surprisingly good though.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Tangled is the best all rounder
Inside out is the best concept/tearjerker
Moana is the best musical
Zootopia is probably the funniest
Bolt is a personal fave of mine

I dont rate coco or frozen at all

Update - BIG HERO 6.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Tangled is secretly the best rom-com of the 10s. Rapunzel and Flynn are very well written characters and their dialogue and development is lovely. The songs are not incredible but they are good enough. It is beautifully animated and it has great slapstick comedy. Love it.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
If you feel like crying, give coco a watch.
Tangled is secretly the best rom-com of the 10s. Rapunzel and Flynn are very well written characters and their dialogue and development is lovely. The songs are not incredible but they are good enough. It is beautifully animated and it has great slapstick comedy. Love it.
I thought the soundtrack was great! It captured the setting and atmosphere perfectly imo.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Spiderman: Into the spiderverse is the only movie I haven't seen mentioned. It's kindof animated?

I know it was Sony but it should have been a Disney movie.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Honestly as someone who really loved most of WALL-E (I found the whole bit on the human ark a bit too goofy and lost all of the wonder and joy of the first half), the only Pixar/Disney film that I've properly enjoyed since has been Soul. The rest have some redeeming qualities (Zootopia is enjoyable, Coco is fine, Tangled is good fun), and even Soul has Tina Fey doing her best to ruin it, but Soul is the only one that I've felt had something genuine to say, and succeeded in saying it without feeling like it was hitting a checklist of 'emotional setup/payoff' story beats that you can see a mile off.

I'm probably too much of a cynic to properly buy into the films, though. I think there's plenty of far better animated kids films out there, like Wolfwalkers, Children of the Sea, and everything Studio Laika has done.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
(don't sleep on the 2011 Winnie the Pooh which is underrated as hell)

This is a great movie. The hand drawn animation is so clear and high quality, it truly feels like a children's book come to life. The music is also pretty great. It's at the top of the list of best Winnie the Pooh content, and it's totally suitable for very young children.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Honestly I'd say Zootopia, Inside Out, Toy Story 3 and Coco are the main ones to consider. Frozen too, if you aren't sick of the mainstream attention that it gets.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Moana, Coco, Inside Out and Toy Story 3 are the ones you should start with. Maybe Frozen too mostly for the cultural footprint of that film.