• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My recent trek through the Studio Ghibli filmography has me in the mood to check out even more animated movies. When it comes to the Disney side, I haven't seen anything since Wall-E, which just so happens to be my all-time favorite.

I don't want to burn myself out by trying to watch everything, but I'd like to catch the "essentials." I imagine most of the Pixar catalogue will be among the favorites, but what three or so movies would you folks put above the rest?

Up is going to be the one I start out with, as that one has always piqued my interest.

Oh, I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack by the way, so ideally I'm looking for ones that really help set the tone through the music.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Tangled and Moana are top tier. Coco is pretty amazing as well. I have a soft spot for Brave too.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Frozen obviously.

(don't sleep on the 2011 Winnie the Pooh which is underrated as hell)

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, every animated feature Disney and Pixar has done since 2009 is at least worth checking out (with some exceptions like Cars 2 and maybe Brave).

Both studios have had an insanely consistent quality for the past decade.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Frankenweenie
Inside Out
Zootopia
Coco
Soul

Also I know many people didn't like it but I loooooved The Good Dinosaur.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Since Wall-E?

Up, Moana, Coco, and Zootopia.

And as a second tier if you are still feeling it when you finish those ones, Soul, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Inside Out.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of good films from DIsney and Pixar since Wall-E

From PIxar:
Up
Toy Story 3&4
Inside Out
Coco
Onward
Soul
Incredibles 2
Brave

From Disney:
Bolt
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Moana
Zootopia

Oh, I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack by the way, so ideally I'm looking for ones that really help set the tone through the music.

Go watch Coco. Bring a tissue.

Andamo

Oct 27, 2017
Moana is fantastic. Personally I loved Big Hero 6. I rarely go to the theater but I went to see it three times.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Moana and Inside Out would be my top picks.

I can't remember when Wall E came out so maybe Tangled counts too, which is my favorite Disney movie since Sleeping Beauty.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Moana, Coco and Inside Out are my favs from the last several years. Soul is also quite good but not quite on the same level as those three.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Moana

are the only essentials that you missed

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Up is super good, I hope you enjoy it!

Tangled, Coco, and Zootopia are probably the top three I'd recommend.
Moana, Brave, Wreck-it-Ralph, and Inside Out are all great, as well. Frozen kinda ended up with a super obnoxious reputation for some but it's honestly a solid film, and it's been a long ass time but I think I recall Big Hero Six being pretty decent, too.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Coco, Big Hero 6, and Onward have been my favorites lately. If you love music you basically have to watch Coco.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it might be easier to post the ones to avoid, a lot of them are good to great

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
My favorites in order
Moana, Tangled, Coco, Frozen, Toy Story 3, Princess Frog, Soul

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
For WDAU, Moana is top tier but Bolt, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen and Zoomtopia are all worth watching.

For Pixar: Up, Coco and Inside Out are top tier. And Brave, Monsters University and The Incredibles 2 are highly entertaining.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, every animated feature Disney and Pixar has done since 2009 is at least worth checking out (with some exceptions like Cars 2 and maybe Brave).

Both studios have had an insanely consistent quality for the past decade.
I'll have to echo this, it's just a really good portfolio from Disney Animation and Pixar despite some stumbles such as the aforementioned and The Good Dinosaur. I'd even say Brave is still decent, just nowhere near the usual quality and very by-the-numbers.

If I had to tier the line-up (no order within the tiers):

Great:
*Tangled
*Moana
*Zootopia
*Coco
*Toy Story 3
*Soul

Good:
*Up
*Inside Out
*The Princess and the Frog
*Big Hero 6
*Wreck-It-Ralph
*Wall-E (included to set the baseline you're working with)

Decent (MMV depending on where you sit on demographic or relation to subject/themes):
*Frozen
*Onward
*Monsters University

Passable:
*Brave
*The Incredibles 2

Forget It:
*Cars 2
*Wreck-It-Ralph 2 (Best of these three and just misses passable, so mmv I guess)
*The Good Dinosaur

Can't speak for Bolt (always forget about this one), Cars 3, Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4, though the last of which seems great from what I gleaned from the kids story books.

Edit: Most of the shorts from Pixar are worth checking out as well

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
watch it now
moana
tangled
frozen
coco
zootopia
inside out
soul

watch it soon
toy story 3
toy story 4
frozen 2
the princess and the frog

watch it eventually
brave
bolt
the good dinosaur
wreck-it ralph
wreck it ralph fuck up the wifi
big hero 6
find that dory fish
Incredibles 2
onward

meh, maybe
spies in disguise
tinker bell
the tinker bell sequels
cars 3
monsters university
a christmas carol nightmare fuel edition

hard pass
mars needs moms
cars 2

hard piss
planes
planes 2

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Coco, Soul, Tangled, Zootopia, Toy Story 3, Inside Out --- in that order. Pass everything else.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't miss the Burrow short that was paired with Soul. It's on Disney+ and only 6 minutes long, but just... *chef's kiss*

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Tangled, Coco, and Soul are must-sees. Get on that.

Wreck-It Ralph (but only the first one), Zootopia, and Moana are also great

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
  1. Soul
  2. Moana
  3. Frozen
  4. Toy Story 3
I strongly suggest watching the Pixar SparkShorts too. Out is fantastic, and the first time Disney really let a story be gay.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inside Out, Coco, Moana, Tangled, Soul, Zootopia, and Toy Story 3 and 4.

Be sure to check out all of the animated shorts too.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Special shout-out to Soul because it is legit an animated movie for adults. Not even exaggerating, not talking about "family-friendly", it actually feels like a movie mainly targeting adults because I can't imagine children getting its messages. Honestly truly incredible from Disney/Pixar.

Also special shout-out to Coco, which is guaranteed to make you bawl your eyes out.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely agree with Tangled and Moana as quality Disney. For Pixar, everyone seems to be on the mark. However, I honestly believe that Monsters University and Finding Dory are being slept on in my honest opinion. And Zootopia
is essentially an animated introduction into systemic racism. I think some of the messaging (especially when it comes to predators) is a bit muddled as it tries to both sides an issue by making real-life analogues for something that's entirely to complex address in a kids film, but it's a gorgeous, imaginative movie

Oct 29, 2017
Pixar's top five since 2008:
1. Coco
2. Up
3. Soul and Inside Out
5. Toy Story 3

Disney's top five since 2008:
1. Moana and Zootopia
3. Wreck-It-Ralph
4. Tangled
5. Frozen

Best soundtrack is easily Moana.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Tangled might be Disney's best animated movie since before acquiring Pixar

Wreck-It Ralph is really fun. The sequel not so much but if you already have Disney+ no reason not to watch it

Zootopia is a real treat

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As most people already said, Tangled, Moana, Coco and Frozen are top tier, in that order.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Moana is an absolute must watch.

Tangled, Both Frozen movies, Zootopia, Wreck it Ralph. Really any Pixar movie.....fuck. Basically any of them!

But Moana is THE film to watch. It's the best of the best.