• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Great movie, not for everyone.

I notice, throughout all of your threads, there's this common element of negativity for shit you don't like, then you just chalk the thing up to being terrible just because *you* personally said it is.

Nah, doesn't work like that.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
It's like (bad analogy TYME) a cup of hot chocolate. It won't work in hot weather -- but when you feel the kind of chill it aims to alleviate, it will proceed to do just that.

Soak in the cultural conversation it's entrenched in and you may find the movie in this. It is pretty much a non entity without some investment in Tate and 60s Hollywood hippy zeitgeist.

It is a what-if tribute filled with love for the star doomed to fade, to be forgotten. The whole movie suggests, 'Cinema will never forget, and can sometimes reveal the best out from us.' Just one big hug.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is I saw the 2nd season of Mindhunters just a few days before the film, and it's the same guy playing the same character in both films

The movie's problem is not that it's a "nothing" movie, with no real narrative. Cohen Brothers make that kind of film all the time and yet people don't really dislike it having no real plot, it's that it lacks the special factor that makes movies like Big Lebowski, No Country, Fargo etc so amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience this was one of his more broadly appealing movies. I know quite a few people who I didn't expect to even go see it, let alone enjoy it. Especially older people.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it, i think you like it more the more you know about the real events.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I loved it. Almost certainly a top ten of 2019 for me and easily my favorite Tarantino film in a long time. I've only seen it the once, though, so I'm curious how well it holds up on repeat viewings.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this with large group of people and everyone loved it. Weird how that works.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Movie was great. Saying it has 0 redeeming qualities is disingenuous.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8/10 movie for me. I had some issues with but overall a very good movie.

True kino as Martin Scorsese would say.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine paying 13€ to watch this piece of shit movie in theaters, and I ended up paying my gf's ticket too. These days, I rarely waste my time hating stuff I disliked on the internet because I'm better off just doing something fun instead, but this movie probably deserves some public slamming. It's the single worst piece of media I've either read, watched or played in 2019 and I'm having a hard time naming anything remotely as unworthy of my time and money. This movie has no discernable plot, no tension and ultimately no point. It's torture for which the viewers should be compensated. I actually like most of Quentin's "recent" output (IB, Django, Hateful Eight) and I don't think he's gotten any worse with age, but what the hell was this?

0/10 movie if I've ever seen one. I regret not walking out of it, like some others did.

If this was the worst piece of media you consumed in the entire year of 2019, you are living the most privileged life possible.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well OP, this thread is full of them. Great movie.

I've met plenty. I didn't like the movie though, it felt like a Cohen brothers movie without the Cohen brothers flair.
I think it was a bit too long for that type of movie.
Just a note: It's the Coen Brothers, not the Cohen Brothers.

While there do exist a Joel and an Etan Cohen, you probably wouldn't want to see their movies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this was the worst piece of media you consumed in the entire year of 2019, you are living the most privileged life possible.
I know my preferences extremely well and I have an easy time avoiding bad games and books, at least lately. It's a bit harder when it comes to movies because I absolutely refuse to watch trailers, as they're too revealing 99% of the time.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Its one of his best movies to be honest. Fantastic acting. Great Tarantino-esque dialog. And especially the ending was so amazing and a beautiful love letter to Sharon Tate. On top of that it is a fascinating journey into Tarantino's own mind and the struggle between having affection for the old but understanding why it needs to change.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. One of his best.

It's not easy to do an 'aimless' movie and still have it feel this well done.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, save for the Bruce Lee scene.

Same here. I thought the movie was great but that scene is a huge mistake. It only exists because Tarantino misremembered what was said in a book. Such a giant fuck-up.

Imagine paying 13€ to watch this piece of shit movie in theaters

[...]

This movie has no discernable plot, no tension and ultimately no point.
I always feared the movie wouldn't work internationally because the tension only exists if you think you know what's coming. It's a movie that builds up to a traumatic moment in American history before rewriting that history. If you know nothing about the tragedy, yeah, there's not going to be much tension.

Edit: I see you said you knew about the events, but I think most non-Americans wouldn't. I'm surprised you felt there was no tension though in that case.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If their biggest complaint was "I don't get why they wasted so much time on Margot Robbie's character" it kind of would

That is not even the issue here.

She barely does anything in the movie and the stuff she does do is ultimately pointless. She has the least amount of presence in the movie compared to other characters . QT should have given her more screen time considering the RL events. Ultimately even if people knew about those events, it wouldn't really matter because the movie fails to make her interesting.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong, it's one of the best movies of the year. By far QT's best movie since Inglorious and I'm happy it's getting recognition by a lot of the major outlets.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this yesterday! I enjoyed it, but I have very mixed opinions on it. The direction and characters were overall great, as they should be with Tarantino. I was pretty enthralled with most of the time watching the movie. It's well shot, and DiCaprio/Pitt are great.

The theme and the Sharon Tate stuff was weird, though. As an alt-history exercise I loved Inglorious and Django. Those felt like they were for large groups of people and fantasies based on events that a lot of people obviously remember and can empathize with. They also don't really rely on outside knowledge to work. You see how the slave owners fucking suck and you see how the nazis suck within their respective movies. With this movie the Sharon Tate murder, while tragic, is just so specific of an event to base an alt-history fantasy on that it's not terribly enticing.

Within this movie Tate is an non-character. Her scenes were charming I suppose, but I feel nothing about her. The Mason group is kinda creepy when Pitt's character goes there, but that's about it. You don't learn enough within the movie. So as you approach the ending I think the only thing really giving tension is knowledge that Tate gets murdered. Then you have the swerve and she doesn't here. They kill the hippies, the end. If you know nothing about Tate then this is just a strange fucking ending. And if you know the ending of the movie then it also doesn't work. One of the few times I think a spoiler could actually ruin the movie in a big way.

Some people talk about it giving Tate the life she deserved or something, but you get none of that in the movie. It's about two other random dudes, not her at all.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably my least favorite Tarantino film, but I enjoyed it. Just never gonna watch it again, I guess.

Great movie, not for everyone.

I notice, throughout all of your threads, there's this common element of negativity for shit you don't like, then you just chalk the thing up to being terrible just because *you* personally said it is.

Nah, doesn't work like that.

You can count on Imp the Dimp for incredibly hyperbolic negative "takes".

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Runtime felt like 15 minutes, watching it was like a dream you dont want to end

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I didn't like it. The only scenes I enjoyed were when brad went to the ranch and demanded to see the previous owner, and the last 20 mins of the movie.

Tarantino is losing his touch. Didn't like the hateful 8 either. His last great classic movie was inglorious basterds for me.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Imagine paying 13€ to watch this piece of shit movie in theaters, and I ended up paying my gf's ticket too. These days, I rarely waste my time hating stuff I disliked on the internet because I'm better off just doing something fun instead, but this movie probably deserves some public slamming. It's the single worst piece of media I've either read, watched or played in 2019 and I'm having a hard time naming anything remotely as unworthy of my time and money. This movie has no discernable plot, no tension and ultimately no point. It's torture for which the viewers should be compensated. I actually like most of Quentin's "recent" output (IB, Django, Hateful Eight) and I don't think he's gotten any worse with age, but what the hell was this?

0/10 movie if I've ever seen one. I regret not walking out of it, like some others did.

You live a very, very sheltered life if you think OUAT is anywhere near the worst film of the year.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last night and thought it was phenomenal. Great acting from Pitt and Leo, great sets and directing, and what an ending. I guess if you're clueless about the actual history of the story you might be a little lost and not "get" the ending or the name of the movie.