• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a thread about realizing the poor quality of your audio source/files.

That's probably your next epiphany.
Lossless audio, amplifiers, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
From a more objective point of view, Galaxy Buds are actually better than those Grados you bought. They're actually pretty good thanks to Samsung's purchase of AKG/JBL.

Grados made by the the current owner (so not Joe Grado) are objectively bad, though some people might enjoy them from a subjective standpoint. Nice you found headphones you like but they're not quality headphones lol.

It's the old school method of making shit drivers sound like they have a lot more detail by ramping up the treble and suppressing the midrange. It's the audio equivalent of turning sharpening to max on your TV.

I used to think I was an audiophile until I went to the convenience of Bluetooth headphones in my Bose QC35 II which I'm sure audiophiles will have an equivalent for the same or similar price that sound way better but are wired. And I know the Sony equivalents are better audio wise but I'm not spending more money until these break down and I upgrade.

Bose QC35 are pretty much the best you're going to get with noise cancelling headphones (note: have not heard NC700) and sound better than most "audiophile" headphones with the active noise correction turned on. All ANC headphones have correction circuits that unfuck the frequency response. A lot of audiophile products just don't sound good and suffer from being extremely underengineered, tuned by someone with extremely strange tastes (Sony's current headphone lineup as an example, they all sound odd yet their IEMs have no such issue) or being complete snake oil (fucking Spiral Ears selling custom only IEMs with special proprietary technology yet offering ZERO demo units).

The Sony's main advantage is maybe better compatibility and better ANC. They absolutely do not sound better than the Bose.

Last edited:

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
About "earbubs" Nothing beats the famous "BLON BL03" in terms of audio performance, if you wish to spend less $100 on an IEM. They cost $38.00 on Amazon (though they can be easily found for less, $28.00 on other reliable sites such as Massdrop, Linsoul etc). They have a huge word of mouth nowadays, with tons of reviews on youtube praising them.

41kAL7rIrTL._SX466_.jpg

The BlON BL03 are like the Koss Porta Pros or PkH30I, but in form of IEMs, offering a similar wao factor but adding a better resolution and even better tonality.

What makes the BLON BL03 especial is the tonality. By far, it performs the best natural tone out of all the headphones I've tried and I currently own. The guitars rock on those.

The cons about the BLON BL03 is the shitty cable they come with as well as the tips. Generally, every single reviewer recommends swapping out the default cable at least to get the best comfort and even best sound impressions out of them; also, the unboxing experience is pretty laughable but we can forgive this due to the price.

Note: Forgot to mention that BLON BL05 has just released a few days ago for the same retail price as BLON BL 03. The problem is that some users who already owm them are talking about that new model being a dissapointment compared to the BLON BL03, though it's too soon to have a proper conclusion yet.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Those are just headphones. Wait until you get a good speaker set-up. Once Dolby Atmos hit my home theater set-up, my life was permanently changed. Nothing else will ever compare.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of Sony's WH-1000XM3?

Decent sounding enough for a bluetooth set, but the real reason to get these cans is the active noise cancellation. It helps that they are comfortable and have great battery life, but these have a very specific purpose for that pricepoint - block out as much sound as scientifically possible around you while you listen to your stuff. Great for planes, general travel, and workplaces. It has a 3.5mm jack if you need it as well. The one downside compared to similar competition is that it can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time, so you just have to re-pair every time you switch devices.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I was seriously considering getting some Koss headphones but I just couldn't get over just how damn ugly they are... I realise that's a silly reason not to get some headphones which I'm almost entirely going to be using at home but oh well.

These Grados were only £40 more than the Koss headphones though so I'm still pretty happy.
Personally I kinda dig the look of the KPH30is, but yeah most of their other fare is pretty rough on the eyes.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The KPH30is being ugly is part of their appeal, because people that see them will wonder "the fuck are those cheap ass speak n spell headphones", then they try them on and get punched in the face by a soundstage that has no business being in a <$400 pair of cans, much less a THIRTY DOLLAR pair of cans.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
The KPH30is being ugly is part of their appeal, because people that see them will wonder "the fuck are those cheap ass speak n spell headphones", then they try them on and get punched in the face by a soundstage that has no business being in a <$400 pair of cans, much less a THIRTY DOLLAR pair of cans.
Yeah I love the shitty 90's PC beige color. I think the Porta Pros rock that look even harder though:

61axmdZG97L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Too bad these cost twice as much as the normal Porta Pros...

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I've recently upgraded from HD600s to Focal Elegias. Holy crap. Detail, texture, three dimensionality and great layering. Op, I'd also recommend the Chord Mojo if you're in the market for a DAC/Headphone amp. It's price to performance ratio is insane. I haven't heard a DAC that's as musical. It renders musical phrases in such a natural way. I almost don't want to hear Chord's higher end products, because I'll never be able to afford them and I don't want to torture myself.

Mar 21, 2018
It gets crazy. I have a Stax SR009 set up w/matching amp in my study. And that doesn't include my Manley Labs 300B pre-amp that I sometimes plug my Sennheiser HD-800S into.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I have an HD280 pro that I use for production. It's great but I still use my cheap ass sony buds most of the time for some reason. lol

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, big beefy expensive headphones are cool and all but have you ever put on a pair of Koss KPH30is?

They ruin everything. Not because they're the best sounding headphones on the market but for some library lookin ass headphones that only cost $20-30 you really start to question why you spend money on really expensive audio equipment unless you're a professional.

XhA73t7.jpg

I'm going to ammend this post to say that I'm not one of those people who doesn't believe in spending lots of money in audio. There's totally a reason and it's valid, but I keep a pair of these next to me at all times because they do the job well enough and they really make me appreciate what has gone into them compared to my $200-600 cans.

They've got a really fun sound signature and they're comfy too, not very strong unfortunately I've already broken two pairs on fairly light use.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, big beefy expensive headphones are cool and all but have you ever put on a pair of Koss KPH30is?

They ruin everything. Not because they're the best sounding headphones on the market but for some library lookin ass headphones that only cost $20-30 you really start to question why you spend money on really expensive audio equipment unless you're a professional.

XhA73t7.jpg

I'm going to ammend this post to say that I'm not one of those people who doesn't believe in spending lots of money in audio. There's totally a reason and it's valid, but I keep a pair of these next to me at all times because they do the job well enough and they really make me appreciate what has gone into them compared to my $200-600 cans.
These are the ugliest headphones ever made. They could bellow the voices of the gods themselves and I still would not put them on my head.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

XhA73t7.jpg

Are these supposed to sound the same as the PortaPros?

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
These are the ugliest headphones ever made. They could bellow the voices of the gods themselves and I still would not put them on my head.

Maybe you just don't like that color, which looks very late 70s or 80s. I have the grey color version, and they are not ugly at all. They look acceptable.

I'd be more concerned about the build quality than how it looks. They are a bit fragile.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I love the idea of good headphones but I'm way too paranoid to walk around in them, during public transit and it's always a hassle putting it away because of the size. I have a pair of bluetooth Taotronics TT-BH072 now and they do the trick just fine. Most of my listening is podcasts anyways.

For PC listening and playing when I'm not using my external speakers I use Cloud X Flights which are fantastic, not 7.1 officially but their directional sound is spot on in games like PUBG and Siege.

Oct 28, 2017
I have an HD280 pro that I use for production. It's great but I still use my cheap ass sony buds most of the time for some reason. lol

A lot of Sony stock earbuds are actually quite decent. Half the battle is a coherent sound signature and a lot of Sony earbuds do alright in that department.

Are these supposed to sound the same as the PortaPros?

Apparently they do. A lot of these cheap Koss headphones are really, really similar to be honest. That's not a bad thing since these Koss headphones sound "right" until you listen to something better.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Quality headphones make a huge difference and they don't have to cost much.

I have an old pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s I've been using for years (dented in moving).

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
yea good luck. you're going to be buying $500 headphones soon enough. you're always going to be chasing that next best
I think my AT's cost ~$90 when I bought them, probably less. Other than a pair of Sony MDR7506 (which fell apart) I don't think I've ever owned a better pair.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to Black Magic Women by Santana - wow - the sound of an electric guitar through these things is incredible.

yea good luck. you're going to be buying $500 headphones soon enough. you're always going to be chasing that next best
I've already spent all morning looking at the GW100 wireless Grados...

I really don't need them but...

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just listened to Black Magic Women by Santana - wow - the sound of an electric guitar through these things is incredible.

I've already spent all morning looking at the GW100 wireless Grados...

I really don't need them but...
listen to:

• A Tear for Eddie by Ween
  • Europa by Santana
  • Cause We've Ended as Lovers by Jeff Beck
  • Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see the Koss Porta Pro mentioned here. Surprisingly, it can cast a pretty open sound stage.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a thread about realizing the poor quality of your audio source/files.

That's probably your next epiphany.
Lossless audio, amplifiers, etc.
I'm going to be honest. I've compared FLAC, AAC, WAV, MP3 etc. And I can definitely tell the difference. On a blind test I got them all right. But much like people are saying about diminishing returns on audio equipment, the size of the files just isn't worth it in my opinion. Maybe my equipment just wasn't good enough though. Hard to say, for most users though I imagine at best they were in my boat which is just a mid tier pair of headphones Audio Technica ATH-M50x or Sennheiser HD 650 range. Which is probably the upper echelon for your general user. I'm not sure what level you have to reach for the value to be really apparent or if it's just personal though.

I'm like this with video peripherals so I get it.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
With all the people online saying that Grados are too bright and lacked bass I was worried that they might be a bit shit for the electro style music I quite often listen to.

Turns out I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's just the type of electro I listen to but these things absolutely elevate it. Bass is definitely still present and they give out a kick when they need to. But it takes a slight backseat to the melodies and detail. I'm loving this.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
With all the people online saying that Grados are too bright and lacked bass I was worried that they might be a bit shit for the electro style music I quite often listen to.

Turns out I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's just the type of electro I listen to but these things absolutely elevate it. Bass is definitely still present and they give out a kick when they need to. But it takes a slight backseat to the melodies and detail. I'm loving this.

I have similar experiences with my Sundaras that are also not bass heavy. When listening to my old EDM tracks on them, I'm always going "WOW! I never heard this part of the melody before" :)

It's a very different yet still awesome experience compared to a speaker setup with a subwoofer

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So to the few people mentioning better sources. Any recommendations to someone who isn't really interested in buying music and ripping it to a DAP?

ps3ud0 8)

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

XhA73t7.jpg

I tried finding them in germany and its impossible. andon amazone they dont ship em to germany

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna sound like a total stoner response, but I truly believe that you'll save more money and get more enjoyment out of your music by simply taking a little cannabis prior to any intense listening sessions.

Upgrading your kit only provides a marginal return once you get pass a certain spending level, whereas you'll discover notes and instruments you never knew were there while listening with budget cans on a little weed.

OP, just stay content with your setup and enjoy it for what it is.
Try to make sure your audio files are good bit rates (320 and above), and that alone should provide you with all you need.

Audio is absolutely a game of diminishing returns.
And it's a ludicrous game of one-upmanship, one where the only winners are those who learn to be content with their current setup.

As others have said $150-200 is the best price point for headphones.
Now good speakers are another thing...and considerably more expensive.

Remember the priority for good sound: it goes good audio source, followed by speakers/headphones, followed by proper amp, and last would be your DAC.

Last edited:

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I'm going to be honest. I've compared FLAC, AAC, WAV, MP3 etc. And I can definitely tell the difference. On a blind test I got them all right. But much like people are saying about diminishing returns on audio equipment, the size of the files just isn't worth it in my opinion. Maybe my equipment just wasn't good enough though. Hard to say, for most users though I imagine at best they were in my boat which is just a mid tier pair of headphones Audio Technica ATH-M50x or Sennheiser HD 650 range. Which is probably the upper echelon for your general user. I'm not sure what level you have to reach for the value to be really apparent or if it's just personal though.

I'm like this with video peripherals so I get it.

Oh that is definitely valid. For me it's basically down to how inconvenient it is to get a higher quality source. It's especially tricky with audio when you can have a better sounding 128kpbs mp3 than a 23mb FLAC because of the source that it came from 😵

For a while, I was pretty picky to the point I was annoying even to my friends. I still appreciate quality sources (I drove 3 hrs to find the best movie theater for Avengers) but at some point you gotta draw the line or you'll drive yourself crazy.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Sennheiser HD598, which led to me getting a small amp/dac and a pair of HD6xx's. It was definitely a mistake, in a great way.

I have the 598 now, my dad gave them to me after realizing he never used them. I think they're great but for some reason I was also thinking of upgrading to the 6xx. Is it a big jump?

I have a PS Sprout DAC / amp for my home PC but more frequently just use them with my phone or laptop.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I have the 598 now, my dad gave them to me after realizing he never used them. I think they're great but for some reason I was also thinking of upgrading to the 6xx. Is it a big jump?

I have a PS Sprout DAC / amp for my home PC but more frequently just use them with my phone or laptop.

It's a slightly different sound signature, and they def need an amp IMO to get the most out of them. I think the 598s are more comfy for long term wear but I swap pretty regularly.

OP
OP
jem

jem

Oct 25, 2017
OP, just stay content with your setup and enjoy it for what it is.
Try to make sure your audio files are good bit rates (320 and above), and that alone should provide you with all you need.

Audio is absolutely a game of diminishing returns.
And it's a ludicrous game of one-upmanship, one where the only winners are those who learn to be content with their current setup.

As others have said $150-200 is the best price point for headphones.
Now good speakers are another thing...and considerably more expensive.

Remember the priority for good sound: it goes good audio source, followed by speakers/headphones, followed by proper amp, and last would be your DAC.
Oh really?

I wasn't going to bother with an amp because the headphones get plenty loud enough straight from the phone but I was under the impression that a quality DAC was quite important.

My laptop for example sounds awful in comparison to my phone - there's constant crackling - I thought a USB DAC might solve the problem.

Oh really?

I wasn't going to bother with an amp because the headphones get plenty loud enough straight from the phone but I was under the impression that a quality DAC was quite important.

My laptop for example sounds awful in comparison to my phone - there's constant crackling - I thought a USB DAC might solve the problem.

It sounds like you are good to go for your amp, then!

The crackling could be a number of issues, so trying a low-cost DAC might help, I suppose...does it sound like static or more like squeaking?

As for opinions on how important DACs are, opinions vary. In the realm of audio, you'll have 6 opinions in a room of 5 people.
And those opinions can completely reverse over the course of the years.

My current philosophy is that you'll know when you have a bad DAC. Apart from that, there's not a big need to fuss about them, at least at the low-end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Just wait until you get into speakers also, OP. Developing a proper 5.1 set up can be life changing. I'm big on Polk and Yamaha for this.

As for headphones, 5 years ago I bought myself a pair of Sony MDR-1Rs. I dont think I've ever used a product more between music listening, during film shoots, or editing audio/video, etc. These babies hold up insanely well. I dont even like pricier sets I've tried compared to these. Sony earned my loyalty in the headphone department here.

Best of all, they still feel like I'm wearing pillows on my head.

LyBMvzvdjEDLzxmTSDw7PX-480-80.jpg

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
wait there are sub 100$ audiophile-grade cans ? can anyone recommend some widely available brands with good sound quality for this price

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I got some Superlux HD668B headphones a couple of years ago and they're fantastic (for the price!), but really uncomfortable on the top of my head.

I might go back to some lighter headphones.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome to the club!

My Westone 3 in-ears have served me so, so well over the last 7 years, no regrets dropping ~350 bucks on them.

I'd also recommend spending a little bit on a quality DAC or soundcard as they make a pretty big difference as well.

Lastly, if you don't have lossless sources available, try out Tidal as they have a 60 day free trial.

Oct 27, 2017

XhA73t7.jpg

I got these after they were touted on Era (was it you?) and they were my work and movie-watching headphones for a good many months until a couple days ago when my nephew snapped one of the ears off. But if anyone was wondering, this is a great buy at $25ish as a complimentary set, especially given how light they are.