• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 5, 2017
A legitimate classic. I saw it twice in theaters; the second time, this group of women in the row in front of us screamed and jumped out of their seats at Sam Jackson's death scene. And that LL Cool J track is a legit banger. I may just revisit this tonight too.

OP
OP
Cantona222

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

ss2195921_-_photograph_of_saffron_burrows_as_dr_susan_mccallister_from_deep_blue_sea_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__16113__71646.1394485015.jpg

The wet suit she wore was a small v shape neck opening with a zipper and not that big oval shape shown in the poster.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
The wet suit she wore was a small v shape neck opening with a zipper and not that big oval shape shown in the poster.

Oh, right. It's not the wetsuit that has that neckline, it's the sweater she wears before she suits up. She has it on under he lab coat during the surgery scene, and she still has it without the lab coat in the subsequent scene where the Skarsgard gets thrown into the glass. I'm pretty sure she even has to wade through water with it on at some point, just like in the poster. They don't switch to wet suits until just before SLJ gets eaten.

Oct 27, 2017
The special effects were great. The visual effects were awful.

Ha, I never really considered the distinction, I use the terms interchangeably. So special effects refers to the practical effects? Ok yeah, they were fine, the physical shark models were cool, the explosions and sets were good. Visual effects presumably referring to any scene with a digital shark, they were all dire.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I never really considered the distinction, I use the terms interchangeably. So special effects refers to the practical effects? Ok yeah, they were fine, the physical shark models were cool, the explosions and sets were good. Visual effects presumably referring to any scene with a digital shark, they were all dire.
Yeah, special effects are anything done in camera (animatronics, prosthetics, makeup, lighting, puppets, optical trickery, sets, props, explosions, fire, etc).

Visual effects are stuff added in later, which nowadays mainly means digital but can also mean footage composited in using older techniques.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
One of my childhood favourites! Still have the VHS around somewhere.

I remember a few girls in my class borrowing it from me when I was 11 and they really liked it!

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Visual FX were apparently done in really tight time line and they couldn't use flubber simulation they were developing etc.

Really happy that they used so much practical fx.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Still can't believe they killed the love interest and LL survived
The part I'll always remember about watching Deep Blue Sea in theatres on opening weekend is that both my date at the time and myself were adamantly rooting for LL Cool J's character the entire way. Poor dude lost his parrot. Seemed destined to get sacrificed because that's always what happens to brothers in these movies. The euphoria that we had as he somehow survived and Saffron Burrows wound up fish chow instead (deservedly given her character's role in things) cannot be overstated. We left that film in such great spirits which is wild seeing how we'd just spent two hours watching people get mauled by sharks. But LL lived and that made it awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this and Lake Placid which was also released in 1999. My dad took me to see these in theater as a kid.

OP
OP
Cantona222

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I want to elaborate on how effective Sam L. Jackson shark scene is. Keep in mind that the terrible experience he had in the snowy mountain was mentioed/teased twice in the begining of the movie. Then came the scene where he shared more details and secrets about this snowy mountin tragic experience and while he is explaining we were surprised by the shark attack. So I give the writers credit on building up this mountain disaster to make us want to know more about it and then bam.... we have a worse disaster now.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
What happened to Thomas Jane? For a while he was in everything and then... He was a great punisher imho.

He was amazing in The Mist as well (which is another one of these Deep Blue Sea type of movies that once seen, never forgotten). He's still around. He was in The Expanse, which was a pretty big deal of a TV series not long ago and IMDB has a lot of credits for him in stuff that's in post production now.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that a black chef, who at the time would have been ripe for fodder, is one of the two survivors is great.

OP
OP
Cantona222

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Oh, right. It's not the wetsuit that has that neckline, it's the sweater she wears before she suits up. She has it on under he lab coat during the surgery scene, and she still has it without the lab coat in the subsequent scene where the Skarsgard gets thrown into the glass. I'm pretty sure she even has to wade through water with it on at some point, just like in the poster. They don't switch to wet suits until just before SLJ gets eaten.
Sorry to nitpick here but the sweater in the linked picture is long sleeve and not as tight/sexy as the one in the poster. These are different outfits.

Jan 10, 2018
I probably haven't rewatched since the 90's or early 00's, but it was a great film. Audiences now are too savvy, but back then you didn't just kill of Sam Jackson like that. Amazing.

If I recall it correctly, Jackson was only a limited time available so he asked Harlin for a great death.

Than Jackson hated his monologue and the VFX team made sure it is a quick and sudden death, also on his request.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
The physical shark models look amazing, except for the tiger shark, which looks like a mako with stripes on it. Tiger sharks have seriously blunt heads, not pointy snouts.

The license plate that Jane pulls from it's mouth is the same plate state and number as the one pulled from the tiger shark's belly in Jaws.

it's one of my favorite B movies for sure, and probably the 2nd best shark movie behind Jaws. The Shallows and The Reef are also pretty damned good.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Definitely one of the better shark movies out there, that isn't Jaws.

I always enjoyed the unexpected deaths, like Sam Jackson and the lead scientist woman at the end.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
He was amazing in The Mist as well (which is another one of these Deep Blue Sea type of movies that once seen, never forgotten). He's still around. He was in The Expanse, which was a pretty big deal of a TV series not long ago and IMDB has a lot of credits for him in stuff that's in post production now.
The mist was so good! Damn that ending was heartbreaking!
He is still very fond of the Punisher, did you see that little short he made for a fan I think where he kind of plays the punisher and beats the shit out of some punks. I wish he had another shot at it, but it's too late I think.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"They ate me! A fuckin' shark ate me! Drink bitch!"

On topic, great 6-pack and turn off the brain movie.