• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I was casually looking through Mario trivia and I came across this:

b3f.jpg

At first I thought "why is goomba here...?" And then, the truth hit me: Goombas are supposed to be mushrooms too, just like Toads. How could I never know this?

I always thought Goombas looked weird with that triangular shaped head, I thought they designed it as a simple shape for SMB and then it stuck around, even though it's shape didn't make sense to me in 3D. But now I see it, it's not triangular, it's supposed to be the head of a mushroom. And it's so obvious, I can't see anything else now. And it makes all the sense in the world with the Mario universe. Godamnit.

I wonder how many here on Era will also be surprised by this? I was apparently not alone, many japanese players and even Satoru Iwata thought it was something else (granted they had a reason to, since Goomba's name in japanese means "chestnut", but still) according to this.

My mind is blown and I'm not even considering the implications for the Mario timeline yet.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Goombas are a biologically enhanced weapon created during the Great Ape War.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You really need to read the SMB NES manual for that deep, deep lore.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I've always wonder if goombas are toads turned evil just like orcs are elfs turned evil or if they just are a different type of mushroom.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I only ''realized''(I probably knew subconsciously but never had one of those lightbulb moments) a few years ago, don't feel so bad because you're not alone

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I always thought they were round because Nintendo was saying "hey now we have enough pixels to make round Goombas instead of triangles, look". But I know now they are chestnuts.
What enforced it in my mind that they were not the same was that goombas went away when you hit them. Those rock things fell on their backs. Completely different things.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
955490-goombagroove.jpg

The only one that's a really suss mushroom is Super Mario World's. That's an acorn.

Edit: Wait are they not even goombas? Ok now my mind is blown.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the mushroom portion was part of their head, until I saw this.

nocap.png

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just told my girlfriend how ridiculous this thread was and how could anyone not realize they're mushrooms, and she's telling me she never thought about them being mushrooms before, but it's very obvious now that I say it. Bananas.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I just told my girlfriend how ridiculous this thread was and how could anyone not realize they're mushrooms, and she's telling me she never thought about them being mushrooms before, but it's very obvious now that I say it. Bananas.

Hah, take that.

I just realized the pun in Miles "Tails" Prower from Sonic about 8 years ago.

I found this out earlier this year lol I always found peculiar how thorough his naming was, complete with a last name and alias

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
The kuribo aspect is interesting, but then again there are chestnut mushrooms and apparently gomba means mushroom in Hungarian.

Mar 18, 2020
They are quite visibly mushrooms with feet

Ed: well shit, guess they're chestnuts

The super Mario world version is the only one that looks that way

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they're not actually mushrooms. Otherwise, depicting the only brown-skinned mushrooms in the kingdom as evil is kinda... yeah. Yikes.