• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I just answer occasionally and fuck with them. It gets me off the lists lol

I strung one guy along for like 40 minutes while walking my dog. He was super pissed toward the end. Haven't had that particular scam call come in since

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Oh those Apple breached phone calls are the most annoying thing ever.

The way they work is they call numbers, and whoever picks up is put on their "harrass" list where they are given the OK to recall that certain number again and again. Same thing happens with certain scam texters--I accidentally opened the link in a spam text I got because I was super curious (huge mistake, don't do this!) and that set the flag for them to harrass me with spam links. Thankfully I now use the Pulse SMS app which filters out keywords or phrases, once I found out about that app I was able to block out the scam texts.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I have been getting tons of these in the last month. Hopefully the new FCC will crack down on this, I seem to remember there was a huge surge in this a few years ago too.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
I also use the Google pixel call screening as posted above. Works incredibly well. Basically is an AI secretary, and you get a live transcription of the call and you can jump in if you want.
It also saves the audio and transcript if you missed a call that was screened. Frequently scammers hang up so you'll just see the assistant icon and "Call was disconnected".

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait until phone numbers just stop existing. It will put an end to this crap. If I don't know the number, when I answer, I don't say anything. It usually auto-hangs up like two-three seconds in. Been getting fewer/no calls recently. It comes and goes in waves.

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
Isn't this something that Ajit Cuntface Reece's Cup Mug could have held the telecoms' feet to the fire for and chose not to? I swear there's some tech the wireless and telecom providers could put in to help curtail the vast majority of these calls.
Maybe once Biden's pick is in place place at the FCC this could be a quick win.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Recently, someone listed their property under my phone number, so now I'm getting a ton of actually legit spam calls. I've been using my Pixel's screening feature a lot because of this.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. About 10 spam, all local area spoofed. Went to voicemail about compromised icloud.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
This was maddening for me for months, where I'd get multiple calls daily. At some point it just... stopped, though. Thankfully.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I just answer occasionally and fuck with them. It gets me off the lists lol

I strung one guy along for like 40 minutes while walking my dog. He was super pissed toward the end. Haven't had that particular scam call come in since
You actually get a person on the other end of the call? My experience with spam calls is they're always robot voices so there is nobody on the other end to mess with.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
I side loaded google's phone app on my Samsung, and activated the spam block feature, and it has working pretty good blocking those annoying spam calls

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Get a Google Pixel... I went from getting about 20+ a day to ZERO after picking up my Pixel 5 thanks to built in call screening. They really need to market that feature as its the Pixel's one true "killer feature" IMHO

Between blocking known spam and taking an audio and written transcript for unknown numbers it is an amazing feature. I might even go so far to say that it is a make or break feature for any phone purchase going forward now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So much this. I maybe get one or two a month being on T-Mobile. My wife, who is on Verizon, gets a stupid amount of scam calls. Anybody who isn't already on T-Mobile should consider switching for this feature alone.
Yup and I tag any calls that get through. It's pretty damn good.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It uses A.I. to answer the call for you (it will ask the caller their name and business, etc)... You get a real time transcription of what the other party is saying and can jump in anytime. It also uses A.I. to determine what type of call it may be and gives you a heads up in most cases (I believe it uses Googles internal database to cross reference voices and speech patterns with known spam and scammers, etc)... ie, it will tell me if it thinks an unknown number is SPAM or a legit busiuness, etc... If you don't answer, it will record its conversation and you can call back later if its legit.

yo this is pretty cool I can't lie

I don't think it needs to be a Pixel phone. I think any Android phone with the latest firmware will have this option. I have it on my Motorola G8 Power.

I have a note 9 and I sadly can't find this option

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever you do, don't call the number back and yell at the person on the other end. There was a period of...maybe 6 months that my number was used as a spoofed callback number for some spam caller and I got so many calls "Why did you call me?!?" "I didn't call you m'am, my number has been spoofed, just block it" "YOU FUCKING SCAMMER BLAH BLAH BLAH I'M GOING TO REPORT YOU TO THE FBI" etc. etc. etc. it was exhausting constantly getting cussed out and I couldn't just ignore unknown calls because I was doing some work at the time that had people calling me for jobs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Recently, someone listed their property under my phone number, so now I'm getting a ton of actually legit spam calls. I've been using my Pixel's screening feature a lot because of this.

This happened to me too! It's super annoying and I even know the guy's name and house address because of this. I'm not sure how to stop it either. I can get up to like 10 calls a day from different numbers trying to reach this guy about improving their mortgage loan rate. I'm not sure what to do and it's really disruptive.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By the way, I changed my number a few years ago and never gave it out to any companies ever again. And the calls stopped for a few months.

Recently, I still get 1-2 calls a daily though.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Pixel thing is interesting. I have an iPhone and I noticed more spam calls lately, even with the blocking feature. I attribute to the lame data sharing that I am not aware of and unknown data breaches.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I've got call screening on with a regular Pixel 2 and it's generally pretty good about spam calls. It really stumbles with the robocalls in Mandarin: the live transcript during the screening is nonsense English and it lets it through like half the time.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ah that sucks because I'd love that feature. :/ Any experience with a pixel? I need to eventually upgrade and not sure where to go from a note9

I don't like spending a lot of money on phones so I always go for Motorola. They are really, really good phones for the price. (A little under $200 USD is what I paid)

I have a Moto G8 Power. The battery is nuts. Lasts like two full days. Plus you get the call screening feature and "Moto actions" which I also can't live without anymore. (You use physical motions for certain features, such as doing a double chop motion to turn on your flashlight, or a double twist motion to open the camera. So much easier than unlocking the phone and navigating to those functions) It's also got a finger print reader for unlocking the phone.

I love it. The Moto G9 is out, but I went for the G8 because it has stereo speakers and the G9 only has mono sound.

Last edited:

Silius

Dec 10, 2017
Tacoma, Wa
I would get them occasionally but straight up yesterday and today I've had 20+ or more! Maybe like 2 an hour. It's just started yesterday for me. This one says to answer or leave a voicemail, haven't heard this one.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't get any calls like this, but in the last two days I've got two of them. I sort of wanna mess with them for fun, but I know the moment they think I might actually be a potential victim, they're gonna put my number on some list and then I'm gonna get those calls tenfold.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've gone from getting a couple a month to a few a day in the last week. I thought it was another data breach, but friends with different state numbers say they're experiencing the same thing. And then I saw this thread.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How do you block spam texts? I goy quite a bit two weeks ago advertising some sex services. Really awkward getting these texts during work >. <

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have both iPhone and T-Mobile so I barely notice that I get scam calls, but the volume of them has indeed increased for me as well.

Does this have anything to do with Trump-era FCC, or is this just some surge occurring for other reasons?

Oct 27, 2017
Every once in a while I get a text from an email...

And I've also gotten a text from a "number neighbor" (what they called me) who was one digit off from my number.

But nothing worse than the scam of the keypad disappearing while I type to "accidentally" tap on the ad on this site (just happened again so I'm ranting).

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Google phone call filtering works pretty well, and like others have said I highly recommend. The few that get through I just use the automated responder for and if it's spam they almost always hang up right away. Sometimes it turns out to be something real that I just didn't recognize the number for, and in those cases I can hop on and answer the call.

An alternative is changing your phone number. No guarantees unfortunately, given how constant spam calling is everywhere now, but back before smart phones were a thing I had to get my number changed because I was getting endless spam calls every day. They would all hang up instantly too, even if I answered. It was infuriating. I'd check my phone and see 40-120 notifications of missed calls that were all spam.

I demanded the phone company change my number as it was making the phone unusable, and so they did it for free. The new number was a blessing and cut off the endless spam. If your situation is like that, then abandoning the spammed number may be your best option.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My scam calls have easily tripled in the last week. Mind you, I don't have to answer unknown numbers so I've literally never answered one. But if I were to warrant a guess, right now it's a mix of stimulus and tax refund scams. That's what my text message scams have been coming through as, so phone calls are likely the same.

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I answer my phone is when I am expecting a delivery that isn't from the major carriers or a repair person to arrive at my house or something like that. Basically, when someone might be calling me who needs help with directions right away.

Otherwise they can leave a voicemail. 99% of the calls I get are robocalls. Nobody in my family calls - we just use a chat app for everything. Work is done through Slack. Doctor's offices leave voicemails. Phone service is almost completely useless to me.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Answer the phone but don't talk, the scam numbers will think you're an automated dialer as well and hang up, it'll remove your number from their lists.

I don't know how true this is but it's a tale I've believed and I don't get many calls anymore.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The att call protect data I need HD voice. Skip.

At least I get spam warning on text. But I get a bunch of bunk calls. I skip most because of it being from the area code, but I'm in a different state.

The dumbest was one time I answered.
"hi I'm from the police union and we could use your vote"
I don't live in the state, fuck off.
"so do you intend to support?"
I just said I live 2000 miles away, no.

Most of my spam calls don't even bother with voice mail.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
This happened to me and they were all calls from SoCal and one from Boulder, CO. I ended up answering the Boulder one because I thought it was my buddy who had just moved over there. Lady really wanted my house in Malibu and when I told her wrong number she tried selling me a house... lol

Anyway, after I set up my iPhone and Verizon account to filter spam I don't get them anymore

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Several networks offer some sort of spam blocking.

For T-mobile for example just dial "#662#" and it will activate spam block.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Now they trick you by using the same area code. I get a lot of calls about an expired warranty.