• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've just never found myself in this position.

Yesterday morning, I started getting phone calls - local (same area code) - that I didn't recognize. Let it go to voicemail, and the voicemail states, "Breached before using any Apple device please contact Apple support advisor press one to connect..." ... Clearly a scam. I'm aware, so not worried about giving up my info.

The issue is that I rely on my phone for work to make local calls with unknown numbers all the time. So, while I used to just answer the phone, I'm now letting every call go to VM. And I dunno about you all, but after hours, every time I get a call my stomach sinks, because who tf calls any more unless it's bad news.

Blocking the number does no good, because each time it's a slightly different number. Do I just hope it stops - wtf, literally getting another right now.

Any tips?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I love having an area code different from where I live. Instant way to tell spam calls from real ones

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Only block the ones that keep calling from the same number if you want some of them to stop, but I usually just block them all.

Really the best you can do unfortunately.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Get a Google Pixel... I went from getting about 20+ a day to ZERO after picking up my Pixel 5 thanks to built in call screening. They really need to market that feature as its the Pixel's one true "killer feature" IMHO

screencall5.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having the problem as well, I get at least two calls every day. Always a different number. I'm tired of constantly blocking.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting them a lot too daily. I always pick up though. If I automatically rejected every number my phone flagged as a scam caller, I wouldn't be employed now

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Get a Google Pixel... I went from getting about 20+ a day to ZERO after picking up my Pixel 5 thanks to built in call screening. They really need to market that feature as its the Pixel's one true "killer feature" IMHO

screencall5.jpg
How intelligent is it with regards to delivery people calling? I get more deliveries now and they can sometimes call me using completely unrecognizable number with different area codes.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
How intelligent is it with regards to delivery people calling? I get more deliveries now and they can sometimes call me using completely unrecognizable number with different area codes.

It uses A.I. to answer the call for you (it will ask the caller their name and business, etc)... You get a real time transcription of what the other party is saying and can jump in anytime. It also uses A.I. to determine what type of call it may be and gives you a heads up in most cases (I believe it uses Googles internal database to cross reference voices and speech patterns with known spam and scammers, etc)... ie, it will tell me if it thinks an unknown number is SPAM or a legit busiuness, etc... If you don't answer, it will record its conversation and you can call back later if its legit.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you're on iPhone you can silence calls from numbers that aren't in your address book. It will still ring for them silently in the background and let them leave a voicemail too. I've had that feature turned on for the same reason for the past couple of years. Rarely will miss a legit call, but if I do they usually leave a voicemail and I can call back.

If you're also on T-Mobile (other carriers might also offer this) you can turn on a feature that labels these calls as "Scam Likely." You can also just block them outright if you want, but that might block legit ones by accident.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Have you signed up to get vaccinated recently? I know it sounds like a random question, but I noticed an increase in spam calls after I signed up. I'm just curious if there might be possible connection.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Job hunting is a bitch with how spam calls are these days. I normally just don't answer numbers I don't recognize but now I gotta answer pretty much everything.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone bitching, seriously get a Google Pixel (even the $350 Pixel 4a has Call Screening built in).... or you know, continue bitching.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I also use the Google pixel call screening as posted above. Works incredibly well. Basically is an AI secretary, and you get a live transcription of the call and you can jump in if you want.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

screencall5.jpg
I forgot all about this feature. Skipped past it when it first popped up because I was busy trying to do something. Thanks for the reminder, I just turned it on. Hopefully it will reduce all the spam calls I've been getting recently.

My settings right now are to screen the spam numbers from Google's database and the possible faked numbers. All other calls should get through to me just fine.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot all about this feature. Skipped past it when it first popped up because I was busy trying to do something. Thanks for the reminder, I just turned it on. Hopefully it will reduce all the spam calls I've been getting recently.

For me, it seriously went from 20+ a day to zero. I get maybe 1 a month out of the blue that the screening feature didnt catch.

EDIT: Also dont forget Pixel phones have Spam Block for MMS/SMS as well. Go to settings under your default Messaging app and you should see the option to turn it on.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Our house phone (google voice line) gets probably 5 calls a day. They are all local area code and always different numbers. The caller ID comes up as "V"+random numbers so it's easy to know not to answer but it's still annoying. They never leave a message so not sure what their scam is even for.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Question for the more knowledgeable here, how come this seems to be such a huge problem, from what I can tell, in North America? While my peers and I have personally rarely encountered anything like this, in Austria.
Is it because Austria is tiny? Is it some EU stuff? Is it the language thing, with English being taught all over the world, offering scammers easier access to NA people?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Answer the phone with - "Thank you for enrolling to the world's hottest all-male party line, your phone number will be billed $9.95 for the first minute and $1.95 each additional minute"

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Question for the more knowledgeable here, how come this seems to be such a huge problem, from what I can tell, in North America? While my peers and I have personally rarely encountered anything like this, in Austria.
Is it because Austria is tiny? Is it some EU stuff? Is it the language thing, with English being taught all over the world, offering scammers easier access to NA people?
There might be local laws in your country that would fine anyone who allows that kind of calls. In the US I am not sure if one exists, and if they do they are not usually enforced hence why it's common here.

Oct 25, 2017
ive seen a big increase in spam calls the past month or so
but i cant just put a blanket ban on unknown numbers because of work

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you have AT&T they have something called Call Protect you can download. It lets you block numbers within the app and it has a database so it will flag stuff as telemarketer, potential spam, etc as the name when it comes in sometimes. I also report every spam text I get to their spam text line.. kind of annoying but whatever, I like to try and do my part. It's a neverending battle.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've just never found myself in this position.

Yesterday morning, I started getting phone calls - local (same area code) - that I didn't recognize. Let it go to voicemail, and the voicemail states, "Breached before using any Apple device please contact Apple support advisor press one to connect..." ... Clearly a scam. I'm aware, so not worried about giving up my info.

The issue is that I rely on my phone for work to make local calls with unknown numbers all the time. So, while I used to just answer the phone, I'm now letting every call go to VM. And I dunno about you all, but after hours, every time I get a call my stomach sinks, because who tf calls any more unless it's bad news.

Blocking the number does no good, because each time it's a slightly different number. Do I just hope it stops - wtf, literally getting another right now.

Any tips?
Canada here and I get hit with them too, in waves. The scammers are using caller ID spoofing and already know some basic facts about you that's how they target you. They even spoofed a realistic voice system for when you call them back impersonating whichever company they are trying to spoof

I kept getting calls for a mandarin service for my my actual telecom provider. Checking with my actual provider reveals they do not offer services in mandarin.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

screencall5.jpg

I don't think it needs to be a Pixel phone. I think any Android phone with the latest firmware will have this option. I have it on my Motorola G8 Power.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
But why? Seems like these calls would piss off everyone. The most bipartisan of all issues

The answer to all question: $$$

I don't think it needs to be a Pixel phone. I think any Android phone with the latest firmware will have this option. I have it on my Motorola G8 Power.

I think Motorola and Nokia phones get it due to using Vanilla Android. I'm sure the latest Samsung phones don't have this feature (I checked since my wife uses one, she is switching to a Pixel soon though because of it).

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
It's annoying when it happens. Though this thread is weird timing because I've had about ten scam emails/texts in the last 24 hours about Royal Mail and Netflix.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
TIP: Android phone users

1- download NoPhonSpaam from
No ads and bullshits like that.

You can use wildcard to block all range of numbers.

2- You need to use a special ringtone as call notification

WHY?

Because when you will get a call, the phone turn on AND will play the ringtone for will seconds before the nophonspam app kick in and block the call.

How to fix it:
The way to fix it is to make the ringtone starting volume be at ZERO and gradual increase the volume to normal levels after few seconds.

I download the sound I liked from my phone and edited it:
Example:
original:
www.dropbox.com

Lost_and_found.ogg

Shared with Dropbox
edited:
www.dropbox.com

Lost_and_found2.ogg

Shared with Dropbox

So if the call is blocked I will only notice the screen turning on and off immediately BUT no audio.

the caller will be redirected to voice mail if you have this service available in your plan. I contact my provider and request to turn it OFF. In my case the caller get the message that I can't answer and no stupid voice mail notifications icon to bother me :P

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
WE ARE CALLING TO TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR VISA MASTERCARD ACCOUNT.
WE ARE TRYING TO REACH THE VEHICLE OWNER

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I just block all calls that dont originate from my address book. If its important they can leave a message or text.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips?
This happened to me 6 times from a CA number... on the day of the election last year.

Like bruh, you picked the worst time to try to scam me... When me and other people are sick of political calls and they're less likely to pick up their phones lol

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Either I just block them all, or if it really was important they would have left a message. It happens in waves with me where I will get a bunch over the course of 48 hours then none for months. They are literally just fishing for who will bite.