• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
I see this occasionally when I play Heroes Of the Storm With my friends most nights. Sometimes I get called the n-word. Not often enough to be a problem though.

But thats how it is when playing with random people.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You're right OP that it's everywhere and its deplorable, but Inigo Montoya has a point, a lot of people do use it self-demeaningly as a joke. That doesn't make it fine obviously, but not everything you're seeing out there is necessarily all hate speech.
Yeah that is the point I was trying to make but you said it better. I'm all for banning the clan name if some people find it offensive but I was just saying that the people in that specific clan may not be using it with racist intent. The OP had no proof of it either way.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that rings about as hollow as white people telling me that "Jap" isn't a slur because "that's just what we said to refer to 'orientals' when I was growing up".

Good thing i'm not white then.

The 4 Pakistani people I know would absolutely fight you if you called them a "paki" to their face. That's super fucking racist.

I live in non-native english speaker country, paki is frequently used as an abbreviation to adress pakistani people and pakistani don't fight you if you use the word to address them.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I see this occasionally when I play Heroes Of the Storm With my friends most nights. Sometimes I get called the n-word. Not often enough to be a problem though.

But thats how it is when playing with random people.

tenor.gif

Good thing i'm not white then.

I live in non-native english speaker country, paki is frequently used as an abbreviation to adress pakistani people and pakistani don't fight you if you use the word to address them.

Sure jan.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My first few minutes into playing WoW classic and the chat was full of people talking about black people having low intelligence. Then calling people who reported then snowflakes.

I've reported so many people in retail WoW for similar things and I doubt anything ever happens. Money matters more to devs than decency.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You can keep going as much as you wish, if you are using your country as a standard and think that a non-native english speaker country knows about the racial meaning of the word "paki" go on, i don't have much to add.

Sure, I'm just gonna keep giving you the side eye, the same way I gave people the side eye that said "there are no black people in prague" during the kingdom Come race discussions, especially when the evidence you put down of why "paki" is okay is a link to americanisms on a wiki that is just as hollow as the example I previously gave.

Because I don't fucking believe you.

But you do you, and keep pretending that racism isn't a problem where you live.

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'm just gonna keep giving you the side eye, the same way I gave people the side eye that said "there are no black people in prague" during the kingdom Come race discussions, especially when the evidence you put down of why "paki" is okay is a link to americanisms on a wiki that is just as hollow as the example I previously gave.

Because I don't fucking believe you.

But you do you, and keep pretending that racism isn't a problem where you live.

You are saying this to a brown guy, son of immigrants living in a white country lmao
I did not say that racism is not a problem where i live, because it is, i'm just saying the reality of the country, the n-word is known by the people living here as a "slur", but the world paki it's not known as a slur, if you don't believe me i really don't know what do tell you again.

Bye

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
It's awful in basically any competitive/multiplayer online game I've played. It's honestly kind of frightening how normalized it is.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How's one supposed to have a reasonable discussion if this sort of over-exaggeration is acceptable?

How can we have a reasonable discussion if the response to actual racial slurs is a huge shrug and "well we don't have that here".

Outside of the fact that I don't believe that for a second becuase literally everytime it's come up in conversation it's always horseshit, where does that discussion go? "Oh it's okay to say it because it's not a problem in Italy"? This being said the day after the breakdown of the hold of the Italian right's hold on their government? Come on man.

Whatever, yes, casual racism online is super rampant none of the powers that be are interested in curtailing it. Someone will make a TON of money developing some sort of 3rd party middleware that can just be plugged into the social elements of a game that can do real time moderation, but until we get there, this is how it is. And that sucks.

We had this same conversation a while back about "why doesn't anyone use open chat on xbox live anymore". It's because people are racist dipshits who know that the worst thing that will happen to them for going on a 2 hour racist tirade is having to sit out of a game for, maybe, 30 minutes.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder: assuming we're ignoring voice chat, is there less toxicity on consoles because it's harder to express these views with random people (i.e., no keyboard to type of racist views)?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh ffs I just meant it's not so bad that I want to quit playing.

It's cool, I was just giving you a little shit because that's a wild thing to say.

I know what you mean though. It takes a special session of real shit heads to get me to put up the sticks for the night.

But I do run into those shitheads, more often than not. Team based games are the worst that way. You get a better experience just going radio silent then ever tryign to use strategy or planning with randos because the moment something goes wrong, it's almost always a shitshow. That's just how it is.

I wonder: assuming we're ignoring voice chat, is there less toxicity on consoles because it's harder to express these views with random people (i.e., no keyboard to type of racist views)?

I mean, only because the means of communication aren't there, sure.

I'm sure Splatoon would have super racist voice chat as well (if the mii plaza posts are anything to go by), were it easily accessible and didn't cost money.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I've been called a nigger and every other racist, homophobic, and misogynist name in the book since I started playing Warcraft 2 when I was 10 in the late 90s / early 2000s.

Oct 26, 2017
How can we have a reasonable discussion if the response to actual racial slurs is a huge shrug and "well we don't have that here".

Outside of the fact that I don't believe that for a second becuase literally everytime it's come up in conversation it's always horseshit, where does that discussion go? "Oh it's okay to say it because it's not a problem in Italy"? This being said the day after the breakdown of the hold of the Italian right's hold on their government? Come on man.

You should train your reading comprehension because i didn't say it's ok to say it, i said that in my country, people use it to adress people in a non-racial way because it's not known as a racial slur here.

People here use the n-word as a racial slur because they know the meaning, "paki" is not viewed as a racial slur, it's not a hard concept to understand, Italy is not a native english speaker language and the population is pretty dumb. "Jap" is a slur, in Italy people doesn't even know about the existence of the world "Jap" at all, the slur used to refer to Japanese people here is "almond eyes" (occhi a mandorla) for example.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
"why do games these days don't focus on team play and player communication. It builds a better community etc". Yeah I wonder why

closer

Oct 25, 2017
it is absolutely ridiculous, has been since I first started playing multiplayer games, and imo will have far reaching effects and influence as time goes on. it provides a safe haven for ppl of particular minds. It reinforces the idea that you are acting out a pleasurable taboo in private. It can be incredibly influential on children who parrot and internalize things they hear. definitely sucks

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
N-word was thrown at me a lot playing Smash 4 on Wii U (Mii visible). That game allowed you to change your "tag" that displayed above your character. I don't believe Ultimate works like this, and Switch doesn't have messaging, so this hasn't happened lately.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's not like I don't understand where you're coming from here but I find it hard to see that much malicious intent when they quickly got an answer and replied with this:

Thanks, this is an UK slur then, here "paki" is used as an abbreviation for pakistani people.

Later making clear that it's not really a term used in Italy which...might legit be the case? It's not really in Germany, either, and I made sure to google around some just now to make sure it isn't solely my own ignorance.

But your replies are aggressive and insinuating that the user just has to be a covert racist that would make such absurd claims as to there not being any racism in their country. That is frankly insulting and crappy behavior.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
it is absolutely ridiculous, has been since I first started playing multiplayer games, and imo will have far reaching effects and influence as time goes on. it provides a safe haven for ppl of particular minds. It reinforces the idea that you are acting out a pleasurable taboo in private. It can be incredibly influential on children who parrot and internalize things they hear. definitely sucks

I don't doubt that a lot of this behavior still stems from people who hate that gaming is now more popular than it's ever been and still wish that the medium was their own personal haven that they can retreat to, even if the rest of the world ostracizes it. The racism element is very real and extremely prominent, but I think the fact that it is being used as a gatekeeper, the mentality of "you're not willing to call people the n word online at random, GET OUT", is huge part of it.

Because most of the time, it's not little kids doing it because you can go "teehee, I said a naughty word", it's full grown adults. People who should know better.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is the point I was trying to make but you said it better. I'm all for banning the clan name if some people find it offensive but I was just saying that the people in that specific clan may not be using it with racist intent. The OP had no proof of it either way.

And that's the tough part about policing this kind of thing in any kind of anonymous, online interaction. There was a topic on OT about AI bots being biased and targeting black people more when trying to detect hate speech and as it turns out it's really hard for AI or anyone to know if it's a racist or a term re-claimed by minorities

Not saying game companies are doing enough but, some of the situations laid out in OP might just be impossible to crack unless we start living in a world where our identity is totally out there for everyone to see.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I joined the Xbox Ambassadors program so I could review offensive gamer tags. I was curious. A reported username is displayed and you have 10 seconds or so to decide whether it is offensive or not. I was disturbed by the level of racism, homophobia and misogyny that I encountered. After a while I stopped, it was just too depressing.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wow was never aware of the P4K1 tag thing. Has that been a thing? That's news to me. I just mute everyone at this point. Since it's only a matter of time before you get called the N word and god forbid they're able to confirm you're actually black where they'll be encouraged to do it more since they can say it in confidence talking tough behind a mic, but wouldn't dare say to my face. Online public game lobbies just isn't as fun and lightly friendly as it was back in the OG xbox days. It was how i made a good amount of friends online back in the day. Kinda sad really.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I joined the Xbox Ambassadors program so I could review offensive gamer tags. I was curious. A reported username is displayed and you have 10 seconds or so to decide whether it is offensive or not. I was disturbed by the level of racism, homophobia and misogyny that I encountered. After a while I stopped, it was just too depressing.

I used to get a lot of schedenfruade from going to the old Xbox 360 forums and reading the banned account requests. Half of them were, "my son stole my credit card and bought COD mods, I've punished him, please turn my account back on, Sincerely Mr. Smith" and the other half were, "what do you mean (insert obvious slur here) isn't allowed! I DIDN'T KNOW! HOW SHOULD I HAVE KNOWN!"

How indeed.

It was sad when they stopped making that public-facing.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I still remember that someone made a post in the LFG discord for Destiny 2 on PC and it literally said

"LF2M *name of the raid*, must be fine with casual racism"

I once got invited into a farm raid night with one of the world leading mythic raiding guilds in WoW (Horde side, Europe), because a friend has a son who raids with them. I had to be on their TeamSpeak, and the levels of casual racism and homophobia in their "friendly banter" was appalling. I imagine this is the norm, especially among the younger players (these guys were mostly 15+ years younger than me).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hate to be that guy, but what does P41K mean? I can't keep up with the creativity that racism takes.

As for the online experience, I think young people end up getting into it because older players often forget that as they blab their racial diatribes over their microphone, they aren't just yelling with or at people their own age. People with no mic can hear you too, and it's more likely that they are young and impressionable than not.

People should always be mindful about what they are saying and who they are attacking, because an 11-year old might be listening or might be the person you're attacking (not that you should be attacking or talking crazy to anyone of any age).

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the tough part about policing this kind of thing in any kind of anonymous, online interaction. There was a topic on OT about AI bots being biased and targeting black people more when trying to detect hate speech and as it turns out it's really hard for AI or anyone to know if it's a racist or a term re-claimed by minorities

Not saying game companies are doing enough but, some of the situations laid out in OP might just be impossible to crack unless we start living in a world where our identity is totally out there for everyone to see.

Yeh, not really being able to deal with this without resorting to manual reviews is why it probably is going to remain a big problem for the foreseeable future, as companies generally want to cut down the number of employees working such jobs. It's also a pretty depressive job in and of itself, of course.

I hate to be that guy, but what does P41K mean? I can't keep up with the creativity that racism takes.

I mean, the first reply was asking the same and got quick responses. So, you can just look that up.

On another note, you spelling it P41K instead of P4K1 just goes to show another example that racists might go with if P4K1 were to be banned/filtered.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing Battlefield V this week. I already met a squad with the clan tag [SS]. In a WW2 game where you can play the Nazi side... How is this not automatically impossible to type in as a clan tag?

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I only throw the n-word around when I gets real heated. Looks like you're overreacting and got some learning to do.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
My first few minutes into playing WoW classic and the chat was full of people talking about black people having low intelligence. Then calling people who reported then snowflakes.

I've reported so many people in retail WoW for similar things and I doubt anything ever happens. Money matters more to devs than decency.

This is one of the reasons why I won't sub to WoW classic until the initial phase is over. I don't want to deal with the stream kids. Unfortunately I know I'm outnumbered 100:1 in the WoW community, so there's very little incentive for people like Blizzard (and other companies) to deal with it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This shit's really everywhere. I once got a Jynx via Wonder Trade in Pokemon X that was named "Nicki Minaj". I also couldn't do anything about it, as I found no means to report the player.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Anonymity allows people to be shit stains. And I had no idea what your acronym meant.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So much racism in several the guilds I used to be in, it was appalling. Just tossing the N-word around causally and I'm like "would you fucking stop saying that!". One of the main reasons I stopped playing WoW.

Came across some ass in Destiny 2 a few weeks back with the tag "N****whoppr". Saw the name in the fire strike I was in, dropped out and reported it.

Getting really tired of the immaturity of online players.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really encountered much in modern games. Not many people communicate anymore if at all even in the games where you are "supposed" to. Rarely do I hear people on mic anymore.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I went in a team on Apex with a person who didn't speak english and an asshole of the highest degree. It didn't go well. The non-english speaker died pretty quick, and then the asshole started yelling horrible stuff at him over the mic. I said "You know what, you're on your own asshole" and disconnected. I probably could have said more but was pretty shocked to hear such blatantly offensive stuff thrown at a teammate.

Another couple of games later I ran into a team of 2 assholes (who must know each other) who took it upon themselves to run far in front of me, die, and then yell at me for about 5 mins solid while I took their green tag thing to the respawn thing. They died again after respawning and blamed me for everything.

I don't play Apex anymore :\

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Every game is full of this crap. I cant do PUBG with randoms anymore. The constant amount of racist shit I hear is crazy.

What's worse is this has existed since back when I started playing CS/UT on PC and Halo 2 on Xbox Live.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's absolutely bananas to me that people don't know the word paki.

It's even more bananas that it's still thrown around so much in the UK.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I cut myself from an important aspect of online team shooters by muting everyone. The toxicity was too much, racism and homophobia especialy.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So much racism in several the guilds I used to be in, it was appalling. Just tossing the N-word around causally and I'm like "would you fucking stop saying that!". One of the main reasons I stopped playing WoW.

To be fair, there are a few guilds where there's zero tolerance for this shit. I could set you up with one if you ever felt like coming back to WoW.

But yes, most guilds and the general chat are toxic af.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Halo at its peak made me numb to online racist insults.

Its pretty Sad that things haven't changed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was playing Apex Legends the other day, and one of the guys (clearly drunk) started going on about all Arabs supposedly wanting to blow up America.

The third guy I was playing with, who'd been largely silent up to that point, came on the mic and began to berate the other guy for his racist comment, because as it turns out, he was from Saudi Arabia. He mentioned how offensive the comment was to him, and how ignorant the guy was.

Then the second guy, clearly somewhat embarrassed and in backtracking overdrive mode, claimed he was only joking, that the world was too sensitive and easily offended these days, that there just needed to be more love between all.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played with a mic and headphone since halo 2 and haven't read general chat since WoW original

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rarely a minute goes by without the n word being slung on Warframe's general chat. If you really want an insight into what hell really looks like then check out the Black Desert online general chat. That's by far the worst I've seen online