• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've just seen the 2 methods used for the gastroscopy. I hope the sedatives are fucking strong because that looks like a bunch of my worst fears in medical form.
Its not as bad as you'd think. You're from the UK too iirc so you'll have the option to be sedated or not. Personally I went without and I was out of the hospital within 30 minutes from being called through. The start is unpleasant for a while but the whole thing is over and done with in 5 minutes more or less.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Not trying to alarm or anything OP, but this happened to my dad before his diagnosis of Esophageal Cancer. It runs in my family along with GERD and the symptoms sound the same.

I hope it's something much less serious for you

Edit: somehow missed the updates and I'm glad you're doing better!

Yeah my mum died of oesophageal cancer and the symptoms are indeed similar to this, but they were progressive to a point where she couldn't eat solids until a stent was inserted. I think GOP's ability to eat solid food now is a sign that it isn't cancerous but he is definitely doing the right thing taking it seriously. Get well soon GOP.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude that happened to me once at a restaurant maybe 10 years ago. I was real prone to that feeling around then, but it's been much better in subsequent years. Though, I'll still very occasionally get it with stuff like rice.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Had something similar for years, where certain types of food (usually meat like hamburger or steak but also things like chips would cause it too) would get stuck lower in my throat (not blocking breathing) and I'd end up having to make myself puke to dislodge it.

Finally went to get it checked out and it was basically inflammation causing it. Took pills for a month and cleared it up.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
If you have dysphagia/difficulty swallowing food, more than likely you'll just be prescribed some exercises for building your swallowing muscles and stronger meds for your GERD. No biggie

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm really bad at that sort of thing. No health insurance.
Your state appears to suck for that, sorry.

If you meet the income requirements for Medicaid, do sign up.

Otherwise, if you can save up for basic screening at least every other year, it's a good idea to do it, so you can ask a doctor about this sort of non-urgent care sort of question.

With regards to general phlegm production, that's supposed to happen, it's part of how the respiratory mucous membranes clean debris out of the tubes. However if it's really opaque that's worse than if it's semitransparent. And turning yellow or green is another worse step. Do you own a thermometer? Get regular heartburn? Have the feeling the OP described about feeling like stuff gets stuck in the throat?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Your state appears to suck for that, sorry.

If you meet the income requirements for Medicaid, do sign up.

Otherwise, if you can save up for basic screening at least every other year, it's a good idea to do it, so you can ask a doctor about this sort of non-urgent care sort of question.

With regards to general phlegm production, that's supposed to happen, it's part of how the respiratory mucous membranes clean debris out of the tubes. However if it's really opaque that's worse than if it's semitransparent. And turning yellow or green is another worse step. Do you own a thermometer? Get regular heartburn? Have the feeling the OP described about feeling like stuff gets stuck in the throat?
I don't have any other symptoms as far as I can tell. Just phlegm, and only after eating. Its mostly just really annoying. Thanks!

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I've got various issues with GERD/heartburn/reflux acid, and was meant to get a camera down the throat just before lockdown.

10 months later the cough I have every morning is worse than ever, and yesterday at lunch, i swallowed some food and it just lodged. I hacked it up...And then couldnt eat. Every meal since, as a chew the food I fear having to swallow it and when I do, it needs washing down with water or it just feels like it's sticking to the sides. I think I may have coughed so hard I've basically damaged my oesophagus.

I have a doctor's appointment (online) at 10 and I'm absolutely shitting myself over the idea I might have to visit a hospital. has anyone else ever had similar health problems?

I have a lot of trouble with this myself among many other problems (hiatal hernia, etc). It's no joke. I also don't digest stuff properly so often I have to take an RX called Linzess to make myself shit (tmi lol). Don't worry over visiting the hospital just be thankful you have that option. Hope all works out for you and they can get you sorted.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
I have eosinophilic oesophegitis (EoE) and what you're talking about sounds similar to my experience. I've been to hospital many times with things stuck.

If you're going to have a gastroscopy, make sure they do a biopsy to make sure you don't have it.
I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis, and it makes it hard to eat a lot of times. I feel you OP.

Have to get scoped every 6 months too
This is me as well. For the first couple years I had to have a number of endoscopies, but if they are able to put you to sleep for it then it's no big deal. The good news is lodged food is not an immediate threat as you can still breathe, but it can be uncomfortable leading to pain as gases and pressure build and your esophagus constricts around the lodged item(s). In any case, if they're going to scope you make sure they test for this too.

As EoE is chronic I use an inhaler, not to inhale medicine into my lungs but to coat my throat with steroids twice a day, which keeps my throat just large enough to eat anything so long as I chew carefully. I feel your stress OP, hope whatever the cause in your case is, is treatable or curable with minimal fuss.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Can back up that gastroscopy is easy; first two times I wasn't even aware the procedure happened because of the short term memory loss (the anesthesia can cause you to forget the part where they wheel you in and start inserting the tube). Usually a bit of a stomach ache from the biopsy, all you really gotta do is take it really slow on waking up so that your blood pressure doesn't tank.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
God_Of_Phwoar I'm curious if you take any medicine for your acid issues? I have some strong acid/indigestion issues and take nexium daily. It works really well for me, but you may have to experiment. For instance, prilosec is another option, but isn't effective at all for me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Also, I've had the upper endoscopy and biopsy done. It's nothing. You'll fall asleep and wake up. No pain, no irritation. You'll probably be foggy from the anesthesia for the rest of the day though.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
This is me as well. For the first couple years I had to have a number of endoscopies, but if they are able to put you to sleep for it then it's no big deal. The good news is lodged food is not an immediate threat as you can still breathe, but it can be uncomfortable leading to pain as gases and pressure build and your esophagus constricts around the lodged item(s). In any case, if they're going to scope you make sure they test for this too.

As EoE is chronic I use an inhaler, not to inhale medicine into my lungs but to coat my throat with steroids twice a day, which keeps my throat just large enough to eat anything so long as I chew carefully. I feel your stress OP, hope whatever the cause in your case is, is treatable or curable with minimal fuss.

Yep I use the inhaler as well, plus some anti-reflux medication.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me also with a history of GERD/acid reflux. Had a scary situation two years ago where I could not swallow anything. I've since had several endoscopies, and everything checks out fine. The barium swallow test doctor said it seemed to him it was something neurological.

I stopped drinking coffee and soda and had the dilation procedure done on my esophagus, and I am swallowing better now. But I still have to think and be careful of swallowing each and every bite. I am also not fond of the medications I've been taking long term, but without them I seem to be in worse shape.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, add me to this boat, but I'm right at the beginning of it. Was eating a chicken wing Saturday evening and got this feeling that I couldn't initiate the swallow properly, like the food was stuck in the top back part of my mouth/throat.

Since then I've been getting that same sensation with drier or more dense foods and it's terrifying.

I've already been to my doctor yesterday for it and they mentioned an X-ray or a swallow study but I wanted to wait a little longer to make sure this wasn't just stress for anxiety causing this.

The weirdest part is, this just came up 4 days after my second Covid shot.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
They gave me Propofol before the camera down the throat procedure and that stuff puts you OUT in less then a few seconds.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You feel tightness where the bottom of your throat? That tightness is related to anxiety. But you GERD problems are probably very real. It's good you are seeing a doctor for it.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
I have sometimes had acid reflux or similar either later before bed or even while sleeping, leading me to wake up. Never really thought about it.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I have had this on an off for years. But yeah, basically at one point they widened my esophagus and it worked for a few years, and then came back. Originally had scarring due to reflux and such.

What helped (if not going to invasive procedures) was losing weight, eating less acidic foods, not eating a few hours before sleep and sleeping in elevated position.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So, add me to this boat, but I'm right at the beginning of it. Was eating a chicken wing Saturday evening and got this feeling that I couldn't initiate the swallow properly, like the food was stuck in the top back part of my mouth/throat.

Since then I've been getting that same sensation with drier or more dense foods and it's terrifying.

I've already been to my doctor yesterday for it and they mentioned an X-ray or a swallow study but I wanted to wait a little longer to make sure this wasn't just stress for anxiety causing this.

The weirdest part is, this just came up 4 days after my second Covid shot.

how you feeling?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stressed out. Was feeling better today since I was getting some calories in from yogurt, cottage cheese, soft white bread /peanut butter. A few times today I took too big of a bite and felt the swallow stop but worked my way through it.

So I was feeling good and asked my wife to get me a hamburger from McDonald's so I could test myself. Bad idea. I finished about 3 quarters of it but I didn't trust myself to take more than nibbles and chew it up finely with water. There was one swallow that felt like the food was stuck or going down my esophagus slowly but I could still breathe.

It doesn't help that I've been googling this. I've convinced myself that I've probably had a silent stroke or a mini stroke and that this is my fate.

I just can't stand to wait another 2 weeks only to wait some more. I'm going to call to see if anyone canceled so I can move my appointment up or see if one of their other locations has a sooner appointment.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm stressed out. Was feeling better today since I was getting some calories in from yogurt, cottage cheese, soft white bread /peanut butter. A few times today I took too big of a bite and felt the swallow stop but worked my way through it.

So I was feeling good and asked my wife to get me a hamburger from McDonald's so I could test myself. Bad idea. I finished about 3 quarters of it but I didn't trust myself to take more than nibbles and chew it up finely with water. There was one swallow that felt like the food was stuck or going down my esophagus slowly but I could still breathe.

It doesn't help that I've been googling this. I've convinced myself that I've probably had a silent stroke or a mini stroke and that this is my fate.

I just can't stand to wait another 2 weeks only to wait some more. I'm going to call to see if anyone canceled so I can move my appointment up or see if one of their other locations has a sooner appointment.
Praying for you, hope everything turns out well. Hopefully the shot you took is mere coincidence.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Praying for you, hope everything turns out well. Hopefully the shot you took is mere coincidence.

Small update: my swallowing got a ton better since then and I've been eating most things without issue. Steak and other chewy stuff still bothered me.

Anyway, I got an endoscopy Tuesday. They removed a benign polyp. They also also stretched my esophagus with a balloon. There was also some irritation going on. Doc just called with biopsy results and apparently I have EoE. So I'll be taking omeprazole daily and Flovent (steroid) to help with the inflammation. He wants to re-scope me in 3 months.