• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gave up things like potatoes over half a year ago, but with the virus making food not so readily available, I've sort of relaxed what I let myself eat and have been turning to fast food a couple of times now. I had a hamburger with french fries earlier this week, and the french fries made me feel awful, very bloated and kind of made me feel sick for the rest of the day. Just now, I had some chicken strips and french fries from a different place, and same thing. The fries bloat me up, make me feel outright gross. I find I don't really enjoy eating them, the flavor isn't good to me anymore. I'm like half way through this current box of fries and I've finally realized I'm just not liking this at all. Made me wonder why I was even eating them, like it was an obligation.

Weird, weird realization because I used to really like french fries. Has this happened to anyone else before?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
no. though I do dislike low quality french fries. when I'm making fatter chips (I think americans call them steak-cut fries?), they're always good, but I always struggle making proper thin french fries anywhere near as good as the good fast food shops do

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm actually coming to the same realization. I've been ordering them as a habit for the last few years. But really I don't actually enjoy resting them anymore. Just trying to gather the strength to break the habit at this point

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's valid not to like french fries but it's weird to me that they make you feel bloated and not the burger. As someone who feels that way easily french fries are usually pretty light on my stomach unless I eat them in large quantities.

One time when I was in college I pretty much ate just salads from the university salad bar for like half a year and nothing else. When I came home from school that year for a Summer a few random foods made me feel gross. I got used to them though, since I knew it wouldn't be realistic to do what I was doing at college again, and now my tastes are back to how they were before.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i've had similar feelings before though not with french fries.

i was eating chick fil a sauce with my fries , and as i began dipping the fries in the sauce i sort of realized that i didn't very much like chick fil a sauce. i always ate it along with any thing that i purchased despite my disdain of its flavor.

so yeah op. fuck chick fil a sauce.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
vS8NOF.gif

Not really. I've dropped some candies sometimes. Greasy potatoes are home tho.

Do you just hate potatoes now?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is it. You're finally a man now.

Edit: If you wanted a personal story, on my first trip to Montreal, after a wild flurry of strip clubs and hookers, me and my bud landed on what must have been the only McDonalds in the city. And after getting my order and working through the fries, I became aware about how repulsed I felt about the taste. I just left the meal as is and left.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh man, and here I am, just bought a toaster oven that air fries them in ten minutes. I am turning into a potato this quarantine.

Try the Oreda frozen zesty fries. Closest thing from the grocer to the bomb Rally's fries. Might lure you back.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I actually prefer sweet potato fries now. Fries from McD are still great though.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I eat fries only a handful of times a year and almost always with burgers. But I dont eat at the fast food joints. Pretty much just Five Guys so its a treat every time I go.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just need to make your own without the greasy fat stuff.

I make my own fries in the oven, with some nice seasoning and only a spoon full of good olive oil.

Eat them and tell me again that you hate fries now :)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought americans had switched to "freedom fries" to make us sad

top-gun-tom-cruise-freedom-fries.jpg

Glad to see the correct term is still used :p

And personnally I love them but it depends where you buy them. Here in France they're pretty bad in McDonalds for instance.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Funny thing is that in quarantine I've started to make and eat more fries than usual since I just buy large bags of potatoes and make a lot of various things from them. But I mostly make oven fries amd try not to add too much oil.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I've made french fries by hand before, but not in probably over 10 years by now. It's usually really messy to make fries in my experience.

Yeah... takes 20 minutes to peel (exaggerating of course, i am pretty bad at peeling since i want to give as close a shave as possible), then you must fry in 3 steps... 5 minutes to eat and 50 minutes to clean
I stopped cooking my own a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

nowadays we get proper oven fries anyway (or it's just that i have a good oven and so they are always well made now).

I prefer water-cooked potatoes with a pinch of salt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I could eat fried potatoes daily. There's so many kinds and so many dipping sauces. I want some right now

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A good set of fries doesn't need any ketchup. When things calm down, visit a non-chain hamburger place in Japan and I'll guarantee you'll like fries.

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah... takes 20 minutes to peel (exaggerating of course, i am pretty bad at peeling since i want to give as close a shave as possible), then you must fry in 3 steps... 5 minutes to eat and 50 minutes to clean
I stopped cooking my own a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

It's possible to make decent fries without the blanching step (multi stage frying). Cooks Illustrated had an 'easier french fries' method people can google if they are interested. Basically cut up gold potatoes, throw in cold peanut oil, turn stove on and wait ~20 minutes. They aren't amazing but definitely get the job done.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
This is it. You're finally a man now.

Edit: If you wanted a personal story, on my first trip to Montreal, after a wild flurry of strip clubs and hookers, me and my bud landed on what must have been the only McDonalds in the city. And after getting my order and working through the fries, I became aware about how repulsed I felt about the taste. I just left the meal as is and left.
Imagine being drunk in Montreal and not eating poutine

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
try making your own dude! super easy if you just wedge up some potatoes, toss em in oil, salt and some seasoning and bake em for 40ish mins.
Used to be my favourite thing with a hangover, wake up feeling shit, chuck some wedges in the oven, go back to sleep for 40 mins and wake up to lovely crispy potatoes. perfection.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
No I absolutely love them, they have always been my favorite food. You are a monster OP.

But also fries vary so much in quality I can see being turned off on them, even though I am a fry connoisseur, a bad batch is really hard to eat.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I went off fries a few years ago. If I do buy any fast food, it will just be burgers now, I think fries are just padding for a meal.

If they come with a meal I'll often leave them. Although as someone pointed out, McDonalds fries that have just been cooked are decent, occasionally.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I have a soft spot for fast food frozen fries from the store with (probably too much) salt. Air frying them at 350F for 15 mins is the best, nice and crispy. Soggy fries are the worst.

Otherwise I'm not a huge fan, they're okay and I eat them every few weeks.