• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing to feel strange about OP, they aren't for many people. Me included.

The Soulsbourne games remain relatively niche in appeal, although on an enthusiast forum it might not feel that way. This particular remake is getting prominence because it's a first-party, next-gen only experience, not because it's unanimously loved.
Dark Souls 3 sold something like over 10m copies and the franchise like 27m, they absolutely aren't niche. The sub genre outside of From maybe, but plenty of "Souls-likes" that sell well.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm starting to feel the same. I've tried Tower Knight like 30+ times at this point and just get crushed. I got him to 50% health one run, but that's as close as I've gotten. About to just give up.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Agree with you OP. The Dark Souls games I did not enjoy and tried to like them with all the hype. Just feels like a chore for me and not fun.

But may I recommend you try Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. It is an awesome game. It is Dark Souls-like but makes it fun, enjoyable, and has its own great characteristics.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Soulsborne games, so my hard games are just shmups. I play relatively casually, though, giving myself like an hour to see where I get, and quitting if I ever get frustrated.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Main issue isn't necessarily that it's hard, it's the fact you have to keep restarting from the beginning just to get another try at what killed you. It can end up feeling like a waste of time especially if you have limited time in the first place.
This. And everything OP states.

No more really hard games for me. I can't do really long times either. Looking for more split-screen or shared screen co-op games.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
That's fine. Not every game or genre is for everyone. I have tried multiple times to get into real time strategy games like StarCraft and have come to the realization that I just can't do it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that you tried something out of your comfort zone, but it's also totally fine for you to not like it. You are playing games to have a good time and if you aren't then what is the point.

For instance GTA, RDR and AC are technical achievements and have a lot of content, but I just find them incredibly tedious to get through, they aren't bad games they just aren't for me.
Yeah, GTA doesn't do it for me either. I love RDR1, but the only GTA I actually loved was Vice City, for some reason. Never truly liked any other, but kept buying each one because they felt like "canonical" games, you know? Those games you have to play. Not anymore, next one that comes out I'll pass. No need to bother with stuff I know I won't enjoy.

They make me, so frustrated. Especially all the love they get, because I like being in "the know" of games, so I don't want to shut out these experiences. So I find myself forcing my way through them and cursing everyone that loves them every hour or so.

If you love these types of games infallibly, I have probably inadvertently cursed you out at some point... so I'm sorry.

There is a fine fucking line though of TERRIBLE GAME DESIGN and "FUN REWARDING CHALLENGE" that these games skirt heavily. It's not always flawless fun. Running around a dark hallway no idea where the fuck I'm going, getting one shot by some glowing creature that can stun lock you through walls and then losing all your souls is not always enjoyable.

But I do find myself crawling back after I swear them off... there is something enjoyable about them.
1ivwUqt.png

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I am surprised no one has said "git gud' yet lol.

Seriously though, not all games are for everyone. I personally love these games, then again I am the kinda person that plays all games on the hardest "reasonable" difficulty.

Dec 23, 2017
I find them very fair, when you die you know what you did wrong and the games are very predictable. They're mostly about learning patterns and executing correctly.

Oct 25, 2017
I heard its pretty hard, harder than demon's souls (i am already struggling with this one :D)
It's way harder than Demon's Souls, but I had a much easier time with Sekiro than The Last of Us on Grounded, as well as any FPS on the hardest setting. Of course, each person has a different skill level for each genre, so maybe I'm as good at parrying as I suck at aiming, that's a strong possibility.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like hard games. Can't get into Souls games, couldn't get into Celeste, and gave up relatively early with Super Meat Boy.

That's ok, there's plenty of other games I enjoy.

Folstern

Jan 30, 2018
Understandable but I absolutely love Demon's Souls. Perfect blend of atmosphere, lore, challenge and aesthetics for me. If you aren't in love with the game or challenge just drop it. Plenty of games that I find unenjoyable on the hardest difficulty settings like Fire Emblem and all the save scumming and trial and error.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Soul games aren't hard. They are just not handholding easy. And even that can be reached with summones and magic.

I'd rather say you like easy games, than framing it this way.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%. I don't enjoy getting angry or frustrated. If I think a game is gonna be overly difficult I just don't bother.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I wish there was an easy mode for people who just want to enjoy the world. It's probably the best Dark Fantasy story and world-building I've ever encountered. The art design is simply beyond this world and nothing is comparable.

Probably the best games of the generation. Not sure what dark magic From is doing, but it's incredibly they churn out so many amazing, GOAT games on a consistent basis!

delete

Jul 4, 2019
They make me, so frustrated. Especially all the love they get, because I like being in "the know" of games, so I don't want to shut out these experiences. So I find myself forcing my way through them and cursing everyone that loves them every hour or so.

If you love these types of games infallibly, I have probably inadvertently cursed you out at some point... so I'm sorry.

There is a fine fucking line though of TERRIBLE GAME DESIGN and "FUN REWARDING CHALLENGE" that these games skirt heavily. It's not always flawless fun. Running around a dark hallway no idea where the fuck I'm going, getting one shot by some glowing creature that can stun lock you through walls and then losing all your souls is not always enjoyable.

But I do find myself crawling back after I swear them off... there is something enjoyable about them.

It's the rewarding feeling of catharsis of completing an area that keeps you coming back. Real life isn't fair or straightforward but when you achieve something it feels great, that is why overcoming something that seems unfair is so rewarding compared to other games where everything feels like it's pushing you towards success.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Understandable, have a great day.

It's fine if they're not for you, does suck to waste $70, though. Games are way too expensive. Was it your first one? If so, at least there's that. I've seen quite a few people who can't get into Souls games but keep buying every new one that comes out, that's just way too much of a waste.

Ninja Gaiden is definitely waaaaay harder than Souls. At least up to Ninja Gaiden 2 on X360, never played anything that came out after that one.

See this is kinda funny to me because I think it really must just be like an age thing. I used to be ace at ninja gaiden and I now suck at both it and souls games. I'm not sure if it's really even reflexes so much as I'm actually decent at mp shooters, it's just I don't care enough to have to learn the enemy patterns and I don't care about dodging and rolling all over the place and parrying is annoying too.

I'd be fine with souls games if they didn't have bosses I die on 7x over and have to retread so much ground.

Fallen order is an example of a souls type game but it isn't needlessly frustrating on the default difficulty.

I get that the appeal for people is to "get good" and it is satisfying to beat that boss. I got pretty far into bloodborne and sekiro and then hit a wall. A wall I don't care about surmounting after 15x retreading the same shit to just barely miss the timing on a dodge (again) and die.

I may still give demons souls a shot though as I'm sure the ride will still be fun up until I get too frustrated to give a shit.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I love the idea of them, and I love the methodical combat. But I suck at them and I'm not patient enough for them. I bought Bloodborne at release and got as far as Blood Starved Beast and couldn't beat him for ages and gave up. I got Sekiro for cheap a while back and loved it, until I got to certain point I couldn't beat and gave up. I think I'm just not cut out for them.

However, I started playing Bloodborne again on Saturday and got to BSB yesterday. I died, maybe 6 or 7 times but every time I died I knew it was just me fucking up. Getting greedy and going for an extra hit or trying to use an antidote and blood vial one after the other. Today I beat BSB, 5 and a half years in the making and I haven't felt a rush like that in a while. I'm really hoping this is the start of me properly liking those games.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I love the idea of them, and I love the methodical combat. But I suck at them and I'm not patient enough for them. I bought Bloodborne at release and got as far as Blood Starved Beast and couldn't beat him for ages and gave up. I got Sekiro for cheap a while back and loved it, until I got to certain point I couldn't beat and gave up. I think I'm just not cut out for them.

However, I started playing Bloodborne again on Saturday and got to BSB yesterday. I died, maybe 6 or 7 times but every time I died I knew it was just me fucking up. Getting greedy and going for an extra hit or trying to use an antidote and blood vial one after the other. Today I beat BSB, 5 and a half years in the making and I haven't felt a rush like that in a while. I'm really hoping this is the start of me properly liking those games.

He's a real tricky bastard, so you might be good for the rest of the game now. And of course you can always get help on a boss if you need it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think it is healthy to know what you like and don't like. We should seek out content we think we will enjoy. It is good that games offer an array of experiences and not every game is for everybody because what one person enjoys can be different from someone else. Everyone can take different things and look for different things in media. You shouldn't try to force yourself to like something you just don't vibe with.

I love fighting games, for example. I love the spectacle, I love the community, I love the history, and have watched countless hours on summaries and retrospectives and development records for fighting games. But I don't actually play them. I don't like competitive video games. I don't like having to outsmart and outmaneuver another player. It's not something I like to do or am good at doing, so I just enjoy them from a distance. I have tremendous respect for fighting games and people who are good at them, but they're not for me.

What's great is that they exist for the people who love them and I get to watch. Not everything is for everybody, but there is enough out there for everyone.

That said, tastes changes and sometimes you take to something new. You shouldn't fault yourself for trying either.

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt this way for a long time, but I realized that much of my frustration was coming from a mismatch of my expectations and how the game expected me to play. When I stopped caring about losing progress or dying, I began to appreciate these games for more than their challenge. Ultimately, these games are RPG sandboxes, and the fun comes from trying new weapons, magic, and builds as well as the sense of wonder and discovery that Miyazaki's games create.

There are difficult elements to this game, but it's entirely possible to simply sit back, relax, and not feel stressed when playing. Losing souls is meaningless, and grinding is only helpful if you're incredibly underleveled. Dying is an opportunity to learn, and if you're still losing then that's a good thing- there's more to explore and understand. When a game fails to offer new challenges or things to learn I am no longer having fun. Relaxing, to me, is spending time staring at a map to plan a faster route or exploring a boss's moveset to see if it has any glaring weaknesses.

I can appreciate that not everyone enjoys experimenting like I do, and some people want gameplay to service the cutscenes over creating unique gameplay opportunities.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that, though I have a very intense job, I still find these games fun. It's nice to have a sandbox to play in that has encounters to break that work on my time. I feel in control when I play a souls game. I know that there's a path to victory and a strategy I've yet to try. This isn't a situation I find myself in in real life very often.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
For posters trying to claim aging as some kind of deterrent towards enjoying this style of game, how old are you really?

I'm 6 weeks away from my 37th birthday and I don't feel like my dexterity or lackthereof is in any way hindering my enjoyment of Souls games. Hell, my father just turned 60 this summer and he's slowly prodding his way through Bloodborne.

if you want to say your life has changed and you don't have the time/desire to replay areas over again, I get that. I completely reject the notion of "I'm too old and broke down to be good at this game"
Lol my dad is 67 and currently bulldozing through Demon's Souls. He's insane at Bloodborne as well. Those game are not for me, though. Guess in this case the apple did fall a bit further from the tree. xD

Oct 31, 2017
There is a reason I've never played a souls game. I'm sure I can eventually get good at it but I just don't have the time or patience.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this topic, OP! Makes me feel less crazy. I'm right there with you.

I really want to like these games, but I think at the end of the day, they just aren't for me. Which I'm ok with...! Mostly. I love the aesthetic of all the Souls games so much that I wish I could get into them.

I also really wish I didn't buy Demon's Souls remake digitally...

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's frustrating for me since I love the look and atmosphere/aesthetic of the games and Demon's Souls is currently one of the few PS5 exclusive next gen graphical showcases, but I refuse to shell out $500+ on a console and $70+ on a game I know I would find agrivating.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Sorry you're out that much money, OP. There really needs to be a better refund policy for console games. Physical or digital.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing people who give up on these games don't summon? Plenty of players willing to literally play through the entire level for you. It's as easy as could be

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I really appreciate the quality of these games but, after playing Demon's Souls, I''ve come to the conclusion these type of games aren't for me.

I play videogames to just chill and have a good time, not to get frustrated, I already have my job and college to get frustrated at. I like playing it easy and have a good time. I feel bad because I can't find enjoyment on playing these hard games and getting frustrated, and I feel bad that I spent 70$ on it, on a game that I suck at and already gave up because the frustation simply isn't worth my time when life is already so stressful.

Anyone feel the same?

I feel similar. I love difficult platformers but difficult Action RPGs based on animation and timing for combat aren't really my thing. It's part of the reason I felt weird getting a PS5 when only Astro's Playroom excited me looking at the launch lineup. But I figured old PS4 games with unlocked framerates would be enough even if they didn't get patches. 2021 should be a lot better, but I imagine a lot of people like you who happened to score a PS5 will feel the need to get one of the few launch titles and exclusives.

Aug 13, 2019
I own every Dark Souls game, so I decided to try the technical first, Dark Souls Remastered. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll be dying a lot and that bosses and even some mooks will be difficult to kill. I don't mind losing souls, because I know I can always farm them back anyway. I can even deal with the intentional input lag. What I find annoying about Dark Souls is the tedium. I'm trying to fight Quelaag right now and just getting to the boss is an exhausting endeavor. I don't mind playing other difficult games, or games on the hardest difficulty, because when I die in those I'm typically brought right back to the start of the fight to do the dance again. And I get that this is part of the appeal. Dark Souls punishes the player for dying. But paying in progress made sucks.

So yeah, Souls games probably aren't for me either.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Dark Souls 3 sold something like over 10m copies and the franchise like 27m, they absolutely aren't niche. The sub genre outside of From maybe, but plenty of "Souls-likes" that sell well.

Yeah, that's a weird post unless solely talking about the original Demon's Souls while ignoring Dark Souls and Bloodbourne completely. I have no interest in the series myself, but it's undeniable they're both influential and popular.

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from annoying and/or truly broken aspects of games, I much prefer a challenge. Nothing turns me off of a game more if I'm just going through the motions without consequence.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I hated them at first, bought Demon's Souls from Hong Kong before it came out here and didn't even make it past the first area. Bought Dark Souls when it released and didn't progress more than an hour in. Gave it another go a while after and everything clicked. Not sure what changed, I think I just realized souls are dispensable and easily replaced, and I started to see improvements in my own skill at playing the game, then the pressure was off.

I totally understand that these games aren't for everyone, but I'm glad I gave it a second (third) chance personally. They're my favourite modern game series.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I have hight hopes that DS will click with me because it's finally 60FPS. To my surprise, I actually liked fighting Valkyries in the new GoW because the game was 60FPS (in those scenes in particular) and felt like I could actually feel what the hell I was doing and when something I wanted to happen was going to happen. I beat all the Valkyries in that game on regular difficulty, and the last two, and especially the last queen was way, way harder than at least the first boss in Bloodborne, which I've also beat, and then given up on that game. With Bloodborne and its shambolic framerate, it always seemed like a freaking guesswork when I was going to see the result of my control inputs.

I also really value atmosphere and visuals in the game. If they draw me in, I'm willing to overlook a lot - and DS looks absolutely amazing.

I do however worry about the whole restart from the beginning of the level thing, but there's apparently a simple trick that can be used to avoid that, which I'll gladly use. OP, maybe you should try that. The trick is simply to save the game before the boss. Then when the boss kills you, instantly quit to console's home screen and kill the game. Then restart the game and reload the save, and you'll be back at the boss. I imagine with PS5 game, this process really won't take long at all.

Last edited:

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Totally agree...but I'm still getting it whenever I find a PS5 and maybe this time it'll click with me lol

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just on the cusp of seeing if this is my last Souls game. I just haven't got the time these days dedicated to "get gud". I beat DS and it's DLC back in the day and it was such a gaming high but had to put a lot of time in. What an experience and amazing for those who can put in.

Demon Souls looks amazing, just at the big knight. This will make or break it for me if I have the patience to get through. Wish me luck.