• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sonkilmoon

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't played the new Demon's Souls or own a pS5, but what about summons? Game should be busy right now, and if you have a friend, even better to control the pace and the amount of help

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017
I've only played Bloodborne and a little of Dark Souls and I've loved both, but I can see where you're coming from. I played Bloodborne when it released and am just now getting around to Dark Souls because of how intimidating the genre is for me as a casual fan.

Just got past the Capra Demon and that's the only boss so far that has really gotten under my skin. A lot of my other deaths have been my fault, but the Capra Demon felt slightly unfair. I'm sure it's just because I'm a beginner, but I definitely got worked up.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That's totally fine. If you're not enjoying it, then it's best to move to something that you do like.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Sell it or give it to a friend who will get something out of it.

I've heard stories of people playing these games, not getting it, and then coming back years later and loving them. So maybe it'll click for you someday.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't mind difficult games (112% HK, and also everything in celeste minus a few goldens), but I just cannot stand how Souls games handle. The whole process just feels floaty & weird, especially when you slash an enemy and the blade just kinda runs through them. There's an odd imprecision that doesn't gel with me.

Raknor

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There's an early-ish section of the game where you can farm 5K souls in 40 seconds and it doesn't take very long to make things a lot easier if you'd like to see the rest of the game.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
To each their own.

It's the clowning around to prove that their taste accounts for an objective marker of quality that irks me.

Personally, I could not get into real time strategy and certain sports titles, despite knowing how great they can be depending on the title and the folks who love them.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
I feel you OP,

I feel horror games as well like TLOU2 are not for me. I barely managed to finish the first one but I didn't want to experience the same horror ever again 😅

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Same. I don't play a game to hate my time playing it. Fallen Order is about as deep into the "challenging" game genre that I'll sink at this point.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
And there's nothing wrong with that. People come to games for different reasons. I do wish Souls games offered more difficulty options so more people could enjoy them on their own terms, but as it is, there's nothing wrong with avoiding them for this reason.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The more I've grown, the more I've actually started enjoying these games that present a challenge to me.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Took me about 2 hours of playing Bloodborne to figure out I couldn't see the appeal and the fun and never played it again or any similar games for that matter.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I feel you OP,

I feel horror games as well like TLOU2 are not for me. I barely managed to finish the first one but I didn't want to experience the same horror ever again 😅

There's definitely at least one major horror moment in TLOU2, which scared the shit out of me. Wasn't a jump scare either which made it worse haha.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt that way maybe the first few hours until I started figuring the game out and I'm enjoying it a lot. I honestly think everyone who struggles with these games can have that moment where it clicks and it feels like you're on the other side of a bill hill.
I also told myself I just spent $600+ On a PS5 and just this game, I'm going to figure this out.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I love when games nail the difficulty just right. It's incredible to overcome something that seemed impossible before. But it's a hard balance.

Joker22Hero

Nov 3, 2020
I think I'm the same as I DESPISE losing any progress in my games.. with 100 days (how long to beat) backlog on PS4 and Switch alone, it just feels wasteful to struggle with a boss or something...

that in mind, i bought Bloodborne in a sale for a tenner as I want to try a Souls title at least one time before confirming that I hate them (at least I expect i will) Is there anything I should keep in mind when starting the game or just in general to avoid as much frustration as possible

btw i absolutely loved Jedi Fallen order which was described to me as being a bit like the Souls Games but it was never actually hard or frustrating so I guess that is not true?

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Not for me either, I *really* tried to enjoy Dark Souls back in the days but it never clicked. Worst, I rage quit a few times (something I usually never do lol) and just decided not to touch this genre ever again.

And yeah I love the way these games look and I love their atmosphere, so I admit it's a bit frustrating :(

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I would love them if they let me repeat boss fights without clearing out the areas before them.

I can beat tlou grounded and i beat the valkyrie quwen in gow, I can play fps on hardest difficulties without a lot of dying, but this genre is just too hard and punishing for me :/

I would love if they had an easier mode so I could finish them.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Main issue isn't necessarily that it's hard, it's the fact you have to keep restarting from the beginning just to get another try at what killed you. It can end up feeling like a waste of time especially if you have limited time in the first place.

This exactly!

I have no issues with difficult games, If you died and restarted where you were at, like say a boss I'd have no issues at all. Even if it took me 50 tries to beat the boss.

But in Demon's Souls some of the boss runs are long.

Should have known after not clicking with Bloodborne. But I bought demon's digitally so I'm going to try it again at some point.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Demon Souls would still be a bad game regardless of the difficulty. Make it a little easier and you're still left with the clunky ass controls and a time sink of a game.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
For posters trying to claim aging as some kind of deterrent towards enjoying this style of game, how old are you really?

I'm 6 weeks away from my 37th birthday and I don't feel like my dexterity or lackthereof is in any way hindering my enjoyment of Souls games. Hell, my father just turned 60 this summer and he's slowly prodding his way through Bloodborne.

if you want to say your life has changed and you don't have the time/desire to replay areas over again, I get that. I completely reject the notion of "I'm too old and broke down to be good at this game"

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are kinda similar to horror games for me, where I have to be in the mood for them, but I really enjoy when I am. Very few feeling in gaming as good after finally beating a challenging boss whose been beating your arse for hours. Amazing high, but incredibly low lows and they all have a lot of shit too, which I just hate and find no enjoyment in, usually just 1 or 2 areas, but just fucking miserable at times.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Demon Souls would still be a bad game regardless of the difficulty. Make it easier and you're still left with the clunky ass controls and a time sink of a game.

That's part of the reason why it feels difficult too, clunky camera, clunky controls, cheap a.i. The amount of times I'm in a tight corridor and it feels like I'm fighting the camera more than the enemies.

It's not good game design, I think people are hyped because it looks great, or because people are sentimental.

It's games like Demon's Souls that make me wish PSN had a returns policy.

P.S before anyone jumps on me, it's my opinion. We all like different things. I've learnt an expensive lesson and I won't buying Elden Ring!

Oct 25, 2017
I would love them if they let me repeat boss fights without clearing out the areas before them.

I can beat tlou grounded and i beat the valkyrie quwen in gow, I can play fps on hardest difficulties without a lot of dying, but this genre is just too hard and punishing for me :/

I would love if they had an easier mode so I could finish them.
Sekiro has checkpoints pretty close to bosses, at least way more than Souls games. You could try that one out some day to see if you enjoy it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love all the souls games. They can be frustrating but once you get the mechanics down they can be pretty exploitable and eventually you end up way more powerful then anything else in the games

For me I don't find PvP very fun in games, the competitiveness gets my pulse going to wild and I get on edge.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing to feel strange about OP, they aren't for many people. Me included.

The Soulsbourne games remain relatively niche in appeal, although on an enthusiast forum it might not feel that way. This particular remake is getting prominence because it's a first-party, next-gen only experience, not because it's unanimously loved.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, I bought Demon Souls for PS3 and never bought another Souls game after that.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's why I haven't spent 89.99 on it lol. I'd love to for the visuals alone, but I can't spend close to 100 bucks on a game that I know will frustrate me and that I'll probably never finish.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
No, but if a game/genre aint for you, it ain't... It happens, and that's ok. The whole point of playing games is to enjoy them, the moment they feel like a chore or gives you too much frustration, you have to drop them.

In my case, it's impossible for me to play Persona: I can barely manage my own life, and those games expect me to handle someone else's. Screw. That.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
It's great that you tried something out of your comfort zone, but it's also totally fine for you to not like it. You are playing games to have a good time and if you aren't then what is the point.

For instance GTA, RDR and AC are technical achievements and have a lot of content, but I just find them incredibly tedious to get through, they aren't bad games they just aren't for me.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
They make me, so frustrated. Especially all the love they get, because I like being in "the know" of games, so I don't want to shut out these experiences. So I find myself forcing my way through them and cursing everyone that loves them every hour or so.

If you love these types of games infallibly, I have probably inadvertently cursed you out at some point... so I'm sorry.

There is a fine fucking line though of TERRIBLE GAME DESIGN and "FUN REWARDING CHALLENGE" that these games skirt heavily. It's not always flawless fun. Running around a dark hallway no idea where the fuck I'm going, getting one shot by some glowing creature that can stun lock you through walls and then losing all your souls is not always enjoyable.

But I do find myself crawling back after I swear them off... there is something enjoyable about them.

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I would definitely buy the Demon's Souls remake at full price if I knew it had a lower difficulty level. As it is, I'll be waiting until I can get it used/on discount.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like hard games (think Ninja Gaiden, Bullet hell games, Rogue likes, etc.) but I learned to love the Souls games with Bloodborne.
I think it's just about pacing yourself, methodical progression, and not feeling bad about looking up information or using cheese to beat hard encounters.
I just love the atmosphere of dread and the character building (and lore in BB).

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I really appreciate the quality of these games but, after playing Demon's Souls, I''ve come to the conclusion these type of games aren't for me.

I play videogames to just chill and have a good time, not to get frustrated, I already have my job and college to get frustrated at. I like playing it easy and have a good time. I feel bad because I can't find enjoyment on playing these hard games and getting frustrated, and I feel bad that I spent 70$ on it, on a game that I suck at and already gave up because the frustation simply isn't worth my time when life is already so stressful.

Anyone feel the same?

And that's totally fine, I like them and platinum them, but for me strategy games is really hard to manage and have a minimum skill to have fun so I don't play them

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
I recently came to the same conclusion as well. I consider myself a very proficient video game player. I have plenty of platinum trophies under my belt (if that really means anything), and I was at one time a worldwide ranked Soul Calibur II player -- but a game that makes you start from the beginning of the level and play 10-15 minutes just to get back to where you were when you died just to die again is... not fun.

I've realized that I enjoy a challenging game that involves PUZZLES instead of relentless combat. Combat challenges to me aren't fun. A game with wicked puzzles that take a long time to figure out, but are ultimately clever, are more up my alley.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I agree 100%. I bought Demon's Souls because it's such a looker and the aesthetic is right up my alley... but I got pummeled very quickly and I don't like the feeling of being punished for not being good right away. Still, I am going to keep at it and see if I can figure this sucker out (and if I can't hack it, well, there's always Sackboy...)

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I actually find these games extremely cathartic and good for my mental health. Really few games give me such a true sense of overcoming adversity like these games do.

Of course we all get different things out if games and that is what makes them great.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, idk. I love Dark Souls 1 & 3, but I've never really liked Demon's Souls much despite its aesthetic. Point is they're not all made equal and your lack of enjoyment with Demon's isn't wholly indicative of your experience with other titles in the genre.

I think the Estus flasks are just a better system.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
These games chill me out more than any mindless or otherwise easy game can. I get more frustrated playing something like Musou, where my attention and time do not matter, than I ever did playing any Souls game or their derivatives.

Games that require all of my focus and attention just pull me in and occupy me in a way that other games don't, and it leads to a much more relaxed experience than the easier games that I play that hardly hold my attention.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
if you want to say your life has changed and you don't have the time/desire to replay areas over again, I get that. I completely reject the notion of "I'm too old and broke down to be good at this game"

But that's essentially what people mean that they're too old to deal with games like that these days. They're older which means they have more responsibilities and less time. It's a common association that comes with getting older and that's exactly what people mean by saying it.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Couldn't finding anything more dull than replaying sections of games over and over until I beat them. Glad I stopped caring about releases like this, and you shouldn't feel bad for it OP.