• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
So, let me preface this with something.

Whenever people ask me, "Is there anything you miss? From being vegan?" My answer has always been, "Convenience." I don't miss any foods. I've had a great time replicating just about any meat based recipe I can look up with meat substitutes and whatnot. I've never been lacking for flavor or anything like that.

I just wanted to write this post to offer a bit of perspective. Going vegan is a challenge that varies based on where you live, what your resources are and so on. For me, whenever I ended a long day at work, I knew I was either going home and making dinner from scratch, picking up Taco Bell, heading to a pricier restaurant for dinner or just ordering something expensive. It has sucked.

But to be honest, the Impossible Whopper being a thing has me a bit emotional. No bullshit. I was able to walk into a Burger King for the first time in years, look at a burger on the menu and order it. I could have even used the drive thru. My dietary choice has placed me into an outer ring of fast food society that I never wished I could be in.

And now, I have an option that 1. Isn't Taco Bell. 2. Is a burger with fries. 3. Is affordable. (Most vegan burgers in my area are 15 dollars each. This is 5.79 for one.) 4. Is at a very prominent fast food restaurant.

I didn't have this before! I'm excited! More than that, I'm excited that a meatless product is on a major fast food companies menu. Now, anyone that wants to dip their toe into the meatless trend is a Burger King menu option away from it. They don't have to go to a fancy restaurant, they don't have to scroll the aisles of Whole Foods. The everyman can try this out and that's only going make it more likely for these type of products to show up in other restaurants! And that just makes me feel like the future is so bright. I'm so happy about this and I just had to type something up about it.

Also, having not entered a Burger King in years I did not know they carried the soda, SURGE. I FUCKING HAD SURGE AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!

ETA: Just to inform. On the official flyer from Burger King, they do outright state the burger is cooked on the same broiler as the standard burgers. They state in the same line though, that they will cook it separately if asked. Thanks to those below who mentioned this. It's just helpful to know to those who want to know!

Last edited:

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome op! How was the burger? I had an impossible burger at a fancy burger shop, it was okay but it also had a bunch of stuff on it that made it difficult to taste the meat

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I would be cautious of relying on this as an option as BK almost certainly cooks the patties on the same grill they cook the rest of their meat on. If you haven't eaten meat in a long time, this could make you sick.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I would be cautious of relying on this as an option as BK almost certainly cooks the patties on the same grill they cook the rest of their meat on. If you haven't eaten meat in a long time, this could make you sick.
If I've eaten at taco Bell (which I have) then cross contamination is just a fact of life. I'm not worried about this personally. Veganism isn't a religion and there are varying degrees of it. This, I'm ok with.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hmmm does the overall calorie intake go up or down when compared to the actual meat whopper itself?

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
That's awesome op! How was the burger? I had an impossible burger at a fancy burger shop, it was okay but it also had a bunch of stuff on it that made it difficult to taste the meat
The burger was fantastic! It had that char grill flavor that all burger king burgers are supposed to have. The patty was flatter than I expected as I'm used to the Beyond Burger, but it covered the bun correctly. All in all, I was very happy with it. I've tried Impossible Beef at Q'doba before and that was great, I'd say the burger met that in quality as well.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a vegan or anything but I really wanna try a beyond/impossible burger

I had one the other day just to try it out and it actually wasn't that bad! Won't be my go to by any means but it certainly made a great case for being a replacement if meat just isn't in your diet.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have never understood why people think eating meat or anything with any bit of meat juice on it, after a long time being vegetarian/vegan, would make you sick. You didn't evolve a new gastrointestinal system in a decade.

My friends and I were vegetarians for 20 years and a place we stayed gave us what we thought was spaghetti with veggie meatballs, but it turned out to be real meat. We didn't find out until afterwards. Nobody had any problem whatsoever.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP It's cooked in the same broiler as the regular burgers. Some vegans hate this so just letting you know.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Just googled to see if this had been rolled out in my area yet... and every BK in the U.S. is getting it tomorrow? Definitely going to stop by.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Just googled to see if this had been rolled out in my area yet... and every BK in the U.S. is getting it tomorrow? Definitely going to stop by.
Yeah, I actually swung by my local one today on a lark, just to see! And it was on the menu and everything! So you might already be able to get it!

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
That's so good to hear! As a vegan, I am keenly interested in trying the Impossible Burger. They have the Beyond Burger at work (which I love) and am always happy to have more options!

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never understood why people think eating meat or anything with any bit of meat juice on it, after a long time being vegetarian/vegan, would make you sick. You didn't evolve a new gastrointestinal system in a decade.

My friends and I were vegetarians for 20 years and a place we stayed gave us what we thought was spaghetti with veggie meatballs, but it turned out to be real meat. We didn't find out until afterwards. Nobody had any problem whatsoever.

It's just a bit of mysticism that people like to tell themselves.

I'm confused why any vegan would be particularly bothered by having it cooked on the same grill if they aren't bothered patronizing Burger King in the first place. Like, what is demanding it be cooked on a completely separate grill going to solve? We're not talking about allergies here.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I think it's coming to UK bks this week. Really wanna try it, curious to see if it really lives up to the hype.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the fries also vegan? In general do they use animal fats for frying them at most fast food places? Or are they ok?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
for my first try i bought a beyond burger and a regular burger from A&W (just in case i didn't like the beyond)

the beyond burger somehow tasted better than the regular burger it was so confusing

Yeah I had the Beyond Meat burger from A&W and it was really good.

Almost impossible to tell from real meat.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres an all vegan fast food place near me and its pretty good. Fries shakes nuggets and burgers all completely vegan

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
CUMxFkBWEAIgSEJ.png

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love the fact that I don't have to spend $13+ on Impossible burgers every time I want one now, I'm bummed by the fact that the current stock has been scooped up by Burger King for the forseeable future, so that when I do want a better tasting Impossible burger, I can't get one.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Burger King is supposed to have a deal on Doordash starting tomorrow where you can get an original Whopper and an Impossible Whopper for $7. Thinking about doing the taste test for myself.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Oh my favorite go to was the Black Bean Burrito, no cheese, add crunchy red strips, grilled. But they removed the Black Bean Burrito so now I have to go the long way and modify the regular Bean Burrito.
any time i got to taco bell with my friend he always gets the bean and rice burrito with no cheese and red sauce and pico de gallo

costs like $1.40, so he gets like 4 of them

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at Taco Bell you can do a bean burrito with their cheese sauce. Or get a bean fresco taco. Or a fresco taco salad.

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
any time i got to taco bell with my friend he always gets the bean and rice burrito with no cheese and red sauce and pico de gallo

costs like $1.40, so he gets like 4 of them
Yeah, admittedly I was pissed they got rid of my Black Bean Burrito, but it actually saves me 2 dollars per order now to just modify the bean burrito to be the same thing.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Miami subs have them too? Saw an advertisement for a beyond burger last time I went. Ended up getting chicken wings though.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
They need a cheaper option, though. Just an impossible Whopper costs $5. That's just a little too expensive for a fast food burger for me.