• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because, yup. That is the next game on the list.... I only played through this game once and remember finding it to be very weak..... Not to mention I don't know it by heart like I do Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. If I remember correctly, it's gotta be the weakest Zelda ever. (I was not a fan of going into one dungeon every now and then and progress a little further each time)

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my cart while traveling and my first thought was "good riddance."

I'm still gonna play it on Wii U VC later, because being a zelda fan is a special kind of self-imposed suffering, up there with star wars.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I love Zelda. I really do. But I couldn't even finish the first Phantom Hourglass Dungeon.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
the DS ones aren't that good

Spirit Tracks had some good ideas and potential, but in the end they're the weakest nintendo-made zelda games

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finished Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks at some point, but the only thing I remember is the bad drawing registration for the hourglass temple. Those are the main Zelda titles I don't want to play again, just not a good time.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I made a big list of everything in my backlog to work through and I think I purposefully forgot about both of those, even though I recall being fairly close to the end of Phantom Hourglass.

They were just not what a lot of us wanted out of a portable Zelda game, especially since Awakening and the Oracle games were so good.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom Hourglass is pretty forgettable, but it also has my favorite "puzzle" in the entire series.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd forgive revisiting the dungeon if I didn't hate the touch controls so much. At least it did have that one inventive puzzle where you had to "stamp" the map. I felt so stupid about how long it took me to figure that one out.

Oct 27, 2017
I must be the only person who liked Phantom Hourglass. A lot. The only thing I didn't like were the controls for rolling

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I played through all of Phantom Hourglass but damn if I could tell you a thing about it.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't get over that they announced this game after I was disappointed by Twilight Princess, and my thought was "finally, the sequel to Wind Waker I always wanted."

This franchise was so cursed for long while.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I must be the only person who liked Phantom Hourglass. A lot. The only thing I didn't like were the controls for rolling
Nope, you're not alone. I played the game for the first time in 2015 and I enjoyed it a ton. The touch controls work really well, I enjoyed revisiting the main temple with new moves and equipment to progress further and more efficiently in it, the game looks great for a DS game, the characters and story were charming. The music was very enjoyable. The sidequests were a lot of fun and I really enjoyed exploring the world and its interesting and creative settings. I liked the dungeons and overworld puzzles too. Haven't played Spirit Tracks yet but looking forward to it. (FWIW I've played tons of other Zelda games, my faves are Skyward, LBW and Majora's Mask but I basically really like or love all of them.)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Because, yup. That is the next game on the list.... I only played through this game once and remember finding it to be very weak..... Not to mention I don't know it by heart like I do Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. If I remember correctly, it's gotta be the weakest Zelda ever. (I was not a fan of going into one dungeon every now and then and progress a little further each time)
Phantom Hourglass is shit
However, i recommend its sequel Spirit Tracks its better on every way

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Phantom Hourglass has some neat ideas but Temple of the Ocean King is incredibly annoying as someone who hates both stealth and time limits, and a lot of the puzzles felt kind of gimmicky. It's the second worst Zelda I've played, and not a very good game, but simultaneously I like some of what it did. The touch controls weren't a replacement for traditional ones but they were a neat experiment.

I never played Spirit Tracks. I've always considered it in the back of my mind but I watched a YouTube video a year or so ago that detailed all of the problems with the train traversal and that made me reconsider any thoughts I had of touching it any time soon. Legitimately the Zelda game I care the least about ever playing.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the one dungeon mechanic isn't great but i didn't hate it in 2007 like so many did. I thought the game looked amazing for a DS game and loved the Wind Waker sequel vibe. I thought the boss fight where
where you used both screens to fight the boss by looking at the spider's first person POV
was absolutely amazing. I really miss dual screen gaming, wish 3DS had continued that spirit but the majority of games, especially Nintendo's (outside of KI) ignored it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda is my favourite series in any media.

Zelda II aside, which I have mixed thoughts on, Phantom Hourglass is at the bottom of my list of the traditional Zelda games. There's really no reason to force yourself through it knowing you won't enjoy it.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It's a fucking awesome game.
Spirit tracks too.

Some ultra classic itens in Zelda for exemple have never been (past and future) as much fun as in these games (boomerang, bombchu and others).

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
The solution to a particular puzzle is literally to close your DS.

The game has a lot of creative ideas bogged down by forcing you to return to a singular hub over and over. The boat is not fun. But I still found it enjoyable.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I really can't get over that they announced this game after I was disappointed by Twilight Princess, and my thought was "finally, the sequel to Wind Waker I always wanted."

This franchise was so cursed for long while.

2006-2011 I think the series was struggling to know what it really wanted to be.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
2006-2011 I think the series was struggling to know what it really wanted to be.

Nintendo's output in the GC/Wii era was pretty variable all round. Was only with the Wii U they came back to the reliable hitmaker they used to be. I think with the GC they were too rushed and the Wii/DS too pressured to come up with motion/touch options.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
The DS games are garbage and PT actively spits on the ending of wind Waker. Best to skip.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Phantom Hourglass is probably my least favorite Zelda game, Spirit Tracks was a vast improvement in every way (except the panpipes). Never understood the folks who hold the opposite opinion.

Honestly the only thing you need to "replay" from PH is Linebeck's theme

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Nintendo's output in the GC/Wii era was pretty variable all round. Was only with the Wii U they came back to the reliable hitmaker they used to be. I think with the GC they were too rushed and the Wii/DS too pressured to come up with motion/touch options.

Idk, WW is still maybe my favorite in the series, I just wish they hadn't rushed it. I have issues with BotW but at least it seems like they have direction now compared to the Wii era. Both WW and BotW I feel they're genuinely trying to do something new/go in a creative direction. TP is arguably the least creative game in the series imo and SS sometimes feels like they didn't really know what they wanted to do.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, WW is still maybe my favorite in the series, I just wish they hadn't rushed it.

I agree lol, that's why I said the GC era was because they were rushed. Sunshine and WW suffered from this the most.

I really wish with WW:HD they'd added the extra dungeons. I know they said they'd already used the ideas elsewhere, but they could have come up with new ones. I always wanted a world below dungeon in the frozen time...

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I never understood why they didn't try with another original Zelda on the 3ds, not counting TFH. Maybe they were too busy with Botw and the other 2 remasters they were doing at the time, but I'd have loved if they made something akin to the Capcom games with a bigger scope. Maybe next time, hopefully.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I agree lol, that's why I said the GC era was because they were rushed. Sunshine and WW suffered from this the most.

I really wish with WW:HD they'd added the extra dungeons. I know they said they'd already used the ideas elsewhere, but they could have come up with new ones. I always wanted a world below dungeon in the frozen time...

More dungeons instead of the triforce shard quest would have been great. I sometimes wonder if those fire/ice cave areas were meant to be larger also.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I actually prefered Phantom Hourglass to Twilight Princess. There is just so much boring filling in TP for you to slog through to get to the memorable parts.

I liked that with Phantom Hourglass, they tried something different instead of just trying to recreate an older title. Even the central temple didn't bother me that much. Also I by far prefer the aesthetic of PH to the dreary mess that is TP.

One thing that bothered me about both of the titles is that they were just way too easy.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The fact that you strike with the stylus (and do you walk with it too?) really turned me off both of those. Thank goodness A Link Between Worlds dropped that gimmick and let the game control with the D-pad and fight with buttons proper.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I played Phantom Hourglass a couple of years ago, and I'm glad I did, because holy hell is the Temple of the Ocean King's crappiness way overstated.

I thought the game did a fine enough job at letting you minimize traversal through areas you've already finished, with newer items and the gained confidence in the adventure.

It makes me a bit sad that some people consider the DS games the "black sheep" of the franchise, because I think they're pretty good.
(and Spirit Tracks has the best Zelda)

Also Linebeck is my favorite side character in the whole series. He should have gotten a spinoff series like Tingle Dammit.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Spirit Tracks I remember being... fine? Serviceable? Okay? "Spirits of Good" was always so stupid funny.

But Phantom Hourglass is baaaaad.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
temple of ocean king was trash, no respect for player's time

kept me from completing an otherwise good game

Oct 26, 2017
I will say Phantom hourglass had the neatest puzzle I'd encountered with the two screen map puzzle. That really stumped me.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember playing the game on an emulator doing the "one puzzle". I was still stumped when reading the solution.
It is ok to skip it. It is a good game but no masterpiece.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh wow, I also thought I was the only one! I really don't understand the disdain towards PH from many Zelda fans. Admittedly it's been a while, but I do remember liking the game a lot. Though I'm no Zelda super fan, I abandon most of them before finishing anyway.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
PH is pretty good. the one thing i hate about it. Its the damn awful The Temple of the Ocean King. sooo bad!
the same for Spirit Tracks. The game is pretty good then it have a temple like PH. Tower Of Spirits

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up enjoying Phantom Hourglass after awhile but man, Spirit Tracks is no good and I found myself unable to finish it. I think those games are best skipped.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
How a game despised by many here got a 90 in metacritic and already in an age with many review outlets (no 4 critics metacritic here), I'll always wonder... and please don't answer with Belda.

Personally I think it deserves the big 9. It's so ingenious A LOT of times.