• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I might be embarrassing myself here but, as you all know, I LOVE Pokemon. I've talked about a large majority of them and spent a lot of time analyzing them, studying their designs and inspirations, and this has of course led me to many times jotting down my own ideas for Pokemon. Typically this has just been text but...

Having purchased a drawing tablet finally, I've slowly begun to practice my drawing, and drawing my Pokemon ideas has been a common practice I've undertaken. And I thought I'd share. My drawing style? Amateurish. I think (in my opinion) I'm alright at conveying the basic idea behind my designs, but my perspective, color theory, construction, and shading needs a lot of work. But I thought I'd share some of my sketches here to see what you think. It's probably opening me up to being a "oh that's an OC guy", and that's fine, I've loved making my own characters for series since I was a little kid, but I'm stuck at home most of the time now, have a bunch of free time, and I thought I'd share some fun little ideas for Pokemon.

5xuU4wD.jpg

I drew a couple of Pokemon before this but this was the first drawing I felt did a "decent" job at capturing the Sugimori style somewhat---I think it's because my first couple drawings I was associating cleanliness (clean lines) with a good drawing, but here I was a little more accommodating to the original sketch and not trying too hard to clean it up and make it looks super clean.

My general theme for my Pokemon Region was one sort of exploring the religion of the Pokemon World, but sort of borrowing from a bunch of different sources to not make light of any actual religion. I wanted to have a character inspired by the Wu Shaman of ancient China, woman shaman, and a familiar for them, so I created the Psychic-type Psymon here. Like there's a spirit in the Wumtyhology that wears a bearskin, so I made this Pokemon bear-like---a mix of the Japanese oniguma, "demon bear", and a real world sun bear, so it has this sort of dopeyness to it.

Like Abra it's intended to be the new Psychic-type three-stage link evolution line, and like Abra it starts out weak and gimmicky---it doesn't learn any offensive Psychic-type attacks, but has Pin Missile, a Bug-type move which allows it to fight back against Dark-type Pokemon since its role it as a fighter of evil. Anyway it fires off its hair like a porcupine, of course inspired by Kitaro from the GeGeGe no Kitaro anime.

My only gripe with this design is that it kind of came out looking like a male version of Smoochum?

Q7cPVqq.png

This is Kwindol. It kind of looks like it could be a Fire Starter, but it's my idea for an early game Fire-type...which isn't too common across the franchise. It's kind of my "version" of Poochyena, Nickit, or Shinx, an early game Pokemon that's a bit more intimidating than the rodent, but not necessarily all that more powerful.

It's based on the somewhat obscure carnivorous marsupial the tiger quoll, and its evolution line follows that as it changes between different carnivorous marsupials---going to a tasmanian devil to a tasmanian tiger. The quoll isn't a well known animal, so I felt I could make its design a bit more ambiguous, as it doesn't quite look like a real quoll (sort of a weasel looking thing?), and has some more tiger-like elements. One thing the quoll has is, of course, a pouch, which I incorporated here into its Fire-type. While most Fire-type have internal fire sacs, Kwindol has an external one that's on the bottom of its belly pointing out, and this leads to a flicker of flames shooting up along its backside under its tail.

It's a small, but fierce Pokemon, like the real quoll, and because its fire pouch is always leaking it's always looking for food. I thought of a new Ability to connect to this known as Heart Burn, where after eating a Berry its Fire-type attacks increase in power.

I tried to do a sort of "overhead" view of this Pokemon, but I don't think I quite get perspective. I also think I made it a bit too fierce for a Pokemon that's only around 2 feet and is unevolved, it looks a bit too tough here.

LHdImqV.png

I have a weird soft-spot for boring fish Pokemon since Finneon, so I wanted a boring fish Pokemon---in fact, one that's so boring it's basically nothing more than a fish.

So this is Macrill, a Water-type. It's basically just a mackerel. There's nothing particularly special about it in design, though since its whole gimmick is it's constantly fished up by fisherman and eaten, I gave the middle part a sort of "tuna roll" design with the black line and "fluffy rice". I consider it a Pokemon that has "given up" and resigned to die.

I did give it a gimmick where its Ability has its moves use double PP, but in exchange when a move has 1 or 2PP remaining (as in its Ability would mean a 2PP move is its last use), the power is doubled. This would also increase the power of the move Struggle, and it's learn Trump Card, which powers up based on PP remaining, so it'd be interesting from a gameplay perspective.

I like the creativity in modern Pokemon, but at the same time I sort of see the appeal of the classic Pokemon who had more, um, "solid" body shapes with more weight to them a simple colors, so I kind of mixed the two design mantras for my style.

hO3IRlH.png

And I'll end with Kidoro, a Dark/Flying Pokemon.

It's a dromaeosaurus. I made it a mix of what a raptor really looked like probably, and the JP-version.

It's not actually a fossil Pokemon, but an extant Pokemon---my reasoning was like raptors are rumored to be, it was smarter than other ancient Pokemon, and managed to survive to modern times, but lives in a valley. Now they mainly prey on eggs rather than meat. Nothing super special about them...I wanted a fun dinosaur Pokemon.

This design actually came about from another idea. See, like GameFreak did I thought of a "mascot Pokemon" like Lucario or Zoroark, and came up with this weird thief Pokemon with modified wire-stretch arms. The Japanese word for thief is "dorobo", in Japan that's how you'd pronounce the beginning of Domaeosaurus I believe, so I made said Pokemon vaguely a raptor. And then I thought this is a modified version of a pre-existing Pokemon, and needed a pre-exiting species this Pokemon is modified from, so I created a more standard raptor. I'm still working on drawing out this "special" variant, but basically I imagine it having more humanoid proportions as a mascot, more expressive eyes, and less feathers, because rather than glide around it uses AoT-style wire gear to move around.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
would unironically hang pictures on ERA fridge, yes fish is indeed the best out of the lot

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
You're doing great keep it up!

In the first drawing - id have it wearing different colored diapers than their hair color.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Some ugly stuff, but that last one, the purple Dyno thing is pretty cool.

edit - Kidoro

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I like the Kwindol a lot. You should check out Clip Studio Paint to help you in your artistic pursuits OP. It makes it easy.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well it's because it's more of it's hair/fur, and my idea for the evolution is the "diaper" grows to cover it's chest too.
It's great.

But since the "diaper" is going to grow as the Pokemon ages, maybe for this first stage make it a little bit rounder and fluffier, like the down feathers on young birds?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. I draw fakemon too, and have probably curated around ~200 designs over the years. One of my goals this year is to get a drawing tablet and share them with the world, just like you.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I purchased a free art program... probably need to upgrade soon, but this has a decent selection of drawing tools and layers, but not much else.

Some programs probably have better shading tools right? Shading is like...I don't get it, but my current program has no easy way to do it so I just make a shading layer, darken the base color, and try to figure out how to shade.

I feel like drawing these guys is probably not the best method for learning to draw since I'm trying to draw cartoon characters which cheat angles and such and should probably try to draw real animals first and then learn how to simplify them and exaggerate?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Lol I like the fish too. I was thinking that it was a sushi-fish design (which is kinda morbid, but also great). Good to read that that was at least partially the plan. These are pretty good!

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
They are great. Keep on drawing and practicing.

I cant wait to see Macrill and Kidoro's evolutions.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Kidoro looks great. At first glance it gives off the look that it would be the pseudo legendary.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's my two latest ones, a two-stage Fighting/Steel line---this is the first time I've attempted to draw a full family and balancing the two designs out to hit that "oh these are evolutions of one another" is a challenge. They're a two-stage line too, so there's no middle form to help balance them out which I think makes it a bit harder?

pNYVU9u.png

My design process for Jankhor here was to fill two niches:

A) A "simple" Steel-type Pokemon for the early game. Since it becomes more Steel as it evolves, as here its body is mainly organic---sea salt interacts with its body hardening it into steel, which are the greyish bits---I didn't want it to be pure-Steel since it starts off not totally Steel, so Fighting was chosen as the primary Type. Though this is a technicality, as it has more Steel attributes than Fighting-type attributes, especially among its moves, it's got a Fighting-type nature and attitude.

B) A sailor Pokemon, for sailors. Normally they're given Machop, but I wanted to give the sailors a more fitting and unique Pokemon---my region is inspired by Hong Kong, so naturally there's a lot of ports and shipwork. Its name, in fact, is derived from the junk ships popular in Hong Kong. It's muscular, it loves to rough-house, and helps sailors at port and at sea.

Anyway, the primary animal design here was loosely an orca---at one point it was an aquatic Pokemon, but as ships began to populate where it lived, it moved closer and closer to land, eventually becoming a land-dwelling Pokemon, and grew to enjoy working with sailors.

I based its design heavily on Gible, but they're not related---I figure in the real world, sharks and killer whales have similar body shapes designed for living in the ocean. So, by that logic (Pokemon logic a bit too), a shark and a killer whale who moved onto land would probably end up sharing similar body shapes designed for land life. So, convergent evolution.

There's also the motif of an anchor. It can't swim whatsoever and sinks straight to the bottom, but it can hold its breath for hours and simply walk along the ocean floor till it reaches a slope back to shore.

Statistically:

BST: 300
HP: 60
Attack: 60
Defense: 100
Special Attack: 20
Special Defense: 40
Speed: 20

It's an early game Pokemon, and designed to be a bit of a crutch character---early game a Steel-type can resist a lot of moves, since many early moves tend to skew towards physical, and many are Normal as well, but of course its defenses don't improve fast enough as Pokemon get stronger, and its Speed hinders it.

Before it evolves at Level 27, it gets Pound, Harden, Rock Smash, Water Sport, Rock Throw, Endure, Iron Claw, and Iron Defense, so naturally it only has two STAB options in Rock Smash and Iron Claw, but can play defense pretty well. By the way, Water Sport has always been a lame move as weakening Fire-type moves is a bit situational, so I'd buff it by also having it cure all Pokemon of burn and prevent burn from being inflicted as long as the move effect lasts. It also helps that unlike Water-types who normally learn Water Sport, Jankhor actually is weak to Fire.

ZI9JnMg.png

And then it evolves into Rajankhor (rage + anchor but sounds like "raise anchor"), which I went with a more old-school kaiju-Pokemon look. Now its body is almost completely metal, with the organic skin being the minority---I gave it a beard to highlight the fact it's a mammal Pokemon technically, and because it's a rugged sailor. They're primarily male, and many of them have adopted a somewhat out-dated chivalric attitude towards woman---but it's more so because they tend to reflect the humans they hang around with. Like, some are superstitious about woman on ships, but if paired with a progressive sailor they don't hold this view. I also imagine them like hanging with sailors and getting drunk, though of course you wouldn't see that in Pokemon canon. Kind of brutish Pokemon.

There's more of an anchor focus here with its anchor tail, which can stretch, and Rajankhor can adjust its density through "magic". Like it can stand on a boat perfectly well, but if need be, it can greatly increase the weight of its tail to use as a makeshift anchor to help anchor an entire cruise ship if need be. So, it's a useful Pokemon for sailors. Also it can't swim still, but can create a powerful shock wave by slamming its tail into the sea that can split the ocean and give it a path to walk through---not to Moses level, but useful when near shallower water.

You may have thought "an anchor Pokemon? Like Dhelmise?", and there's a connection here. As they get older, seaweed will begin to grow on their tails if they're not properly waxed and cleaned regularly, and this seaweed is believed to be the same that makes up Dhelmise. Some urban legends state that Dhelmise is born when it completely overtakes a Rajankhor's body and absorbs its life energy.

Stats...
BST: 430
HP: 90
Attack: 90
Defense: 130
Special Attack: 40
Special Defense: 60

As I said before it's a crutch character which is useful early on due to a good defensive Type, but bottoms out as the game progresses---against a Pokemon unable to get through its high Defense it can be a pain, but a Pokemon SE against it can easily deal with it.

Upon evolving it learns Heavy Slam, and then Swords Dance, Anchor Shot, Aqua Tail, Iron Tail, and Hammer Arm. So it has powerful STAB moves, and with Anchor Shot it can trap a Pokemon that can't do much against it, but otherwise nothing too special here. Aqua Tail there to deal with Fire-types, though. Through TMs and Egg Moves, I'm thinking access to more Water and Fighting-type moves.

The line has two "new Abilities"...

First, Anchor. This is basically Suction Cups, and prevents them from being forcefully switched out via opponent moves, items, and Abilities. Both Abilities would be buffed though---if an attempt to switch them out occurs, and the Ability activates negating the switch out, Pokemon with Anchor gain a Defense boost, and Pokemon with Suction Cups gain a Special Defense boost.

Second, Flexi-Metal. This is actually the first Ability that would retcon a previous Ability---in this case Light Metal and Heavy Metal would now be grouped into a single Ability, Flexi-Metal. Duraludon, who has both, would have a new Ability slot "open up" thusly. Both Abilities change weight, but Flexi-Metal combines both effects based on what is beneficial to the player, while the previous Abilities could hinder or harm. For example when a move like Heavy Slam is used, which benefits if the user is heavier, it doubles the weight of the user---Rajankhor is naturally a decent 213, so it'd jump to over 400. Likewise if a move such as Low Kick is used against the user, and thus the user being lighter is more beneficial, the weight of the user would halve instead. So, I'd take two gimmicky Abilities that only interact with a few moves, and combine them together---it's not the best Ability, but a bit less situational and not as potentially worthless. Generally Light Metal seemed the weaker of the two because it depended on what your opponent used as there's no moves currently IIRC that the user can use that benefits from being a lower weight, while at least with Heavy Metal you could give yourself Heavy Slam and have a sure use of the Ability, with the fear of Low Kick or Grass Knot being a possibility, but not a certainty to waste an Ability on.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
These are great. And I like your boring fish one! I also like Pokemon that are kinda just normal animals.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the thought you put into the theming and flavor text. Pokémon is rife with rich opportunities to subtly flesh out the creatures using very specific moves or abilities to imply stuff.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
Great job. My favourite might be the Kidoro. The first one looks a little bit like a mid-00s cartoon network attempt to appeal to emo pokemon fans, but I feel that merely suggests an underlying genius behind everything you've presented here today. For your next work, I suggest making a pokemon based on the idea of an Australian 'cheese twisty' wrapped up in a black seaweed sheet.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's awesome, I mean I'll be honest and say that I find that first one hilarious mostly because of the stache but they're all good and I genuinely really like every other one and would use them on my team. Especially that dark flying type Kidoro.

Never stop drawing, for all you know one day you're on the team at Pokémon company, I believe that's how the art director for the current game said he started.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
All things considered some of this is still better than what some actual Pokemon look like tbh, these would just need some cleaning up

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea what Pokemon is, but they look like Pokemon to me. Just keep doing what you are doing. Enjoy it. It's not easy picking something up and just throwing yourself at it. And you have done it. You're an inspiration to us all. At some point you'll notice you have Pokemon Advanced™ in your skills. You may have already.

That fish is my fav.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's some more detailed information about two of the Pokemon in the first post, Psymon and Kidoro. I feel the context is just as important as the physical appearance

Psymon - Psychic
Detect Pokemon

It's, well, a Psychic Monster---hence, Psymon. Its hair is sensitive to psychic auras (not the same Aura as Lucario mind you), and can determine friend from foe. When it senses a malevolent individual, a single strand of hair sticks straight up and it'll flee---it's considered a lucky Pokemon to keep around because it can sense evil, though it can't do much to fight back other than fire off its hair like needles.

In the Region of Oh'Kong, where these Pokemon I've shared live, there's a group of female exorcist who learn to combat evil spirits alongside Psymon and its evolutions. At the age of ten, a young girl is paired up with a Psymon (they're primarily male so it's usually a sister/little brother relationship), and the two train together. Psymon learns to hone its psychic abilities offensively, and the exorcist learns to channel her partner's psychic energy. Everyone can technically learn to do this, so regular trainers can also team up with Psymon, though they lack the natural psychic powers of the exorcist bloodline so it's harder. Of course, the player character can train it no problem, but you won't see many regular NPCs fighting alongside them.

In another time and place, Psymon were actually viewed in a negative light, their ability to sense evil being linked to causing evil---these Psymon were shunned and ostracized from human society, and it's speculated they grew to become the Pokemon Absol. But this is just urban legend, though no Absol live alongside Psymon.

Anyway, it's the first stage of a new three-stage line that's a counterpart to Abra of sorts, starting out pretty weak (though with more than Teleport), and eventually becoming a strong Pokemon, and even stronger via a Trade Evolution. There's no in-lore reason for the Trade Evolution, mind you, I just like the old three-stage trade evolutions and wanted a new Psychic-type one.

BST: 285
HP: 55
Attack: 50
Defense: 45
Special Attack: 40
Special Defense: 40
Speed: 55

So, yeah, use an EXP Share. (which hopefully would be able to be turned on/off) because this little dude can't do much till it evolves. Its Ability is Rattled, increasing its Speed when hit by a Dark, Ghost, or Bug-type...not really all that useful, but ties into the lore of it being able to sense danger and fleeing. Eventually it gets a better Ability upon evolving though that's offensive in nature...

Naturally, until it evolves it can only fight back with Tackle, and Pin Missile, learning no STAB moves, though Pin Missile allows it to deal with Dark-type Pokemon. Otherwise it has a bunch of support moves in Foresight, Detect, Mind Reader, and Magic Coat, which can become pretty useful once it gets better evolved, but here are kind of wasted as it can't do much with them. It's more of a form over function Pokemon in this case, the moves chosen to reflect its canon ability as a scared, evil smoke-alarm. It can gain some more offensive moves via TMs, but otherwise it's an uphill battle till it evolves.

Kidoro - Dark/Flying
Claw Wing Pokemon

As for Kidoro, it does kind of look like a pseudo-Legendary base form, but it's actually a non-evolving Pokemon---the name is "ki-doro", rather than "kid-oro", but the latter may have given the impression it's a kid. The name kind of comes from a few Japanese words mixed with the Japanese pronunciation of dromaeosaurus, but basically "agile dromaseosaurus" is one interpretation.

They're fairly powerful, and rare---in-game you'd find them in a canyon near the end of the game, and I'm thinking it'd be an area that's difficult to access. They used to live alongside the extinct dinosaur Pokemon, hunting in packs to take down larger Pokemon like Bastiodon using their sickle talons. They're intelligent, cunning, and work well with one another, so they survived into the modern day, partially because they learned to avoid humans and choose their battles. There's not a lot of them now, and larger Pokemon aren't as plentiful anymore, so they've adapted to devour eggs instead of meat, stealing Braviary and Skarmory eggs as a team.

It's a Dark/Flying Pokemon, but they can't truly fly, but can leap and glide quite well, jumping along the canyon walls.

Statistically,

BST: 535
Attack: 105
Defense: 70
Special Attack: 80
Special Defense: 65
Speed: 125

They're actually pretty strong, fragile, but quick and can deal some serious damage, especially with their Tough Claws Ability.

They've got through Level-Up Scratch, Sand Attack, Gust, Fury Swipes, Pursuit, Hone Claws, Pluck, Slash, Dual Chop, Agility, Aerial Ace, Screech, Night Slash, Double Team, Hi-Jump Kick, and Brave Bird at their disposal, so they've got plenty of ways to get quicker and do serious damage. They're in the Flying/Dragon Egg Groups, so can learn more moves from primarily those Types via Egg Moves.

They don't evolve, but they're connected to my idea for an Event Mythical Pokemon---it's said in a certain far-away desert city, a lone Kidoro teamed up with a man known as the "Prince of Thieves"...(yeah, I thought of a whole movie for an Event Mythical just because that's how The Pokemon Company does things. I try to be thorough!)

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
uXYqqKN.png

So here's my first attempt at drawing out an entire three-stage line---the first design was easy enough, but it took me a bunch of time to get the latter two looking alright, and even then this is a design I think I got my ideas and interpretation across decent enough, but the geometry, perspective, and shading definitely needs to be improved. As Rock-type Pokemon, it was challenging to me (as someone who has mainly drawing roundish organic Pokemon) to get the look and feel of rock right, while also keeping them Pokemon cute and not being too complex.

Anyway, my idea was to have four Trade-Evolution lines like in Kanto for Psychic, Rock, Ghost, and Fighting. Psymon that I posted is my Psychic Abra parallel, while this one is the pure Rock-type Geodude equivalent, though I went for a more Gigalith-style here. I always liked the alien look that line had, a nice mix on the usual rock monster formula, so I went with that here. In another time and place this probably could've been turned into a Roggenrola Regional Variant...but as it stands, I figure that having another alien looking, crystalline rock monster isn't a deal break considering how many moths are running around.

This line is based on speleothems, aka stalactites and stalagmites, specifically limestone formations---they absorb mineral water that seeps through caverns which causes them to grow beautiful limestone spikes on their body. Since limestone is often comprised of mollusk shells and shells of other similar creatures, I designed it to resemble a crab. They're actually members of the Water 3 Egg Group (in addition to Mineral) because of this, and can breed with many of those Pokemon that its body is likely partially made of. I'm thinking members of the line can even be found holding Fossils in the wild sometimes.

So, the first stage is Splunkk.

This Pokemon has a gimmick in which there are two forms known as the Tight Form and the Might Form, representing stalactites and stalagmites. The two forms are actually visually identical---the only difference is their orientation. Tight Form hangs upside down from the ceiling while Might Form sticks to the ground, and human eyes can't tell the difference between the two if they're both facing the same direction. For example, this picture? No idea which form it is! The form is determined when you catch them and can't be changed---as for hatching an egg, there are two Breeding Centers in the region Splunkk is found, one in the north, one in the south. Whichever daycare you use to breed Splunkk, that determines the form, with Tight in the north, and Might in the south.

In the wild, a Tight Splunkk and Might Splunkk are twins. The Tight Splunkk is born first living on the ceiling absorbing water, with excess water spilling onto the ground forming the Might Splunkk. The two then live directly latitudinal from one another if undisturbed, and grow their rock spikes towards on another---no species has ever been observed in nature where two have connected, as it takes thousands of years. In human terms, Tight Splunkk is far older than Might Splunkk but, in geological terms, they're basically twins. In fact, if a pair is examined, they grow so slowly that Tight Splunk is only a hair's width taller than Might.

So, both Forms have the exact same stats...

BST: 310
HP: 40
Attack: 50
Defense: 55
Special Attack: 30
Speed: 40

As expected, they're not too fast, but have decent defenses---higher Special Defense for once for a Rock-type Pokemon. They learn mainly the same moves, and are quite unique in that regard for Rock-types with Scratch, Withdraw, Absorb, Rock Polish, and Fury Cutter, so a fair bit of range and able to deal with Water and Grass-types somewhat.

Each Form has its own new signature move though---Tight gets "Down Spike" and Might gets "Up Spike. These are 50BP/100% accuracy Rock-type moves, so they're decent STAB. They have a bonus effect when used consecutively. When in a Double Battle, when one of them uses their Spike move, the other instantly gains priority to attack right after them with their Spike move, which doubles in power and bypasses accuracy check. However, this won't work if following Up Spike with Up Spike, or Down Spike with Down Spike. It's a gimmicky move mainly, and mainly for flavor in CPU battles. I'm thinking when you run into a Might Form Splunkk in a cave, the Tight Form will sometimes fall down and get you into a Wild Double Battle where they'll use this strategy against you.

Their other difference is their Ability. Both forms get Water Absorb, but also possibly a unique Ability---Might gets Water Compaction, while Tight gets the new Water Expansion. Compaction of course sharply increases Defense when hit by a Water-type attack, while Expansion sharply increases Attack instead. Compaction gets a buff alongside Expansion, however, as both Abilities now halve the effectiveness of Water-type attacks used against them. So as pure Rock Pokemon (or Sandygast with its Water Compaction as part-Ground), Water-type moves only do 1X instead of 2X to Splunkk. So hitting them with a Water move? A bad idea. Hey, they grow by drinking mineral water, so it makes sense they wouldn't necessarily be weak to it here.

The second form is Stalagg.

It also has two forms, known as Tighter Form and Mighter Form---Tight Form Splunkk evolves into Tighter Form, and Might Form evolves into Mighter Form, as expected. Since Tight Form is the older sibling, it evolves earlier into Stalagg at Level 19, while Might Form evolves at Level 20.

Once again they look visually the exact same, but like before Tighter prefers the ceiling, and Mighter prefers the ground. In their natural setting, deep within caves that humans rarely venture into, they live in solitude for thousands of years as a pair, growing towards one another---if they're disturbed, they're fairly violent in protecting their territory, and it's believed many spelunking disappearances are caused by running into them. They'll fall from the ceiling to crush foes, or crush them beneath their rock-hard pincer feet.

By the way, the rate of their growth has slowed so exponentially that only modern advancement in microscopes has been able to see any visible size difference between a pair of Tighter and Mighter---these Pokemon grow on geological time, and are some of the oldest currently living Pokemon known.

Under the command of Trainers, however, Splunkk evolve far faster---within a few months. Or, well for the player, a couple of levels. Something about the bond between a human and a Pokemon partner appears to cause the evolution process to catalyze far faster!

Stats...

BST: 470
HP: 70
Attack: 90
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 65

Pretty tough, as the middle form of a Trade Evolution line they could (under certain circumstances) be the final stage the player can obtain on their own so their main stats are around 100. Still pretty slow, but they have a decent amount of bulk to survive some hits, and a possible resistance of nullification of Water-type moves is also helpful.

They learn the bulk of their moves in this stage such as Ingrain, Steamroller, Razor Shell, Life Dew, Wide Guard, Retaliate, Crabhammer, Recover, and Stone Edge, so they have decent coverage against some of their weaknesses and healing capabilities.

Upon evolving from Splunkk, they learn upgraded versions of Down Spike and Up Spike---Down Spiker and Up Spiker. These Rock-type moves combo into one another like their lesser version forms, boosting the BP to 70 at the cost of lowering to 95%. But of course using the combo attack gives the second move perfect accuracy, delivering a whopping 140BP hit! Of course you can't use this is serious matches due to the same species clause, but once more the CPU will use this combo against you. A pair of them will also use Life Dew to heal each other, Retaliate to get revenge if the other faints, and Wide Guard to protect themselves from wide hitting moves. I like to imagine the CPU having fun with these two as a combo in Double Battles.

Finally, by Trading a Stalagg via "Link Cable", you obtain a Stalaggmates! Tighter and Might both evolve into Stalaggmates, which doesn't have multiple forms---Tighter and Mighter thus end up as the "same Pokemon"

This "Speleo-them" Pokemon in lore is the result of a pair of Stalagg living long enough that they grow together and become a limestone column, but no natural specimen has ever been discovered! It's probably because such a specimen probably lives super deep beneath the earth where no human has ventured.

BUT, through technology the two can be combined through electro-magnetic technology---though in lore it's a pair of Stalagg fused together, in the game all you have to do is trade a single Stalagg with another player, and the other Pokemon doesn't have to be a Stalagg. Gameplay and story segregation, y'all, I think it's important to use it liberally. Of course in expanded media like the anime or such, you'd actually see a pair of the two being fused into a single Stalaggmates.

Anyway, as you can see the upside down half is the former Tighter Form, which controls large (upside down) claws, while the lower half is the former Mighter Form, which controls the legs. They can therefore look in multiple directions to work together, and control the two parts independently, though they work together fairly well---their only goal (other than serving their Trainer) is to look for mineral water, and avoid Pokemon that eat Rock-types, so they aren't all that intelligent compared to the similar Metagross.

They can desperate at the seams and recombine using water---the top half attacks from above and the bottom half attacks from below in a dangerous pincer attack!

Stats

BST: 555
Attack: 100
Defense: 110
Special Attack: 60
Special Defense: 120
Speed: 75

Not a huge leap, but pretty well-rounded.

Like other Link Evolutions, it has the same natural movepool as its pre-evolution, but a few extra moves learned at Level 1 via Move Tutor. It does learn a new move upon evolving, the powerful 100BP Rock-type move Pincer Attack is like Fly and Dig. The two halves split apart, one going high and one going low, and attack on the next turn. When the move is used, they're invulnerable, except to a combo with Mind Reader or Lock On, or like No Guard-boosted attacks. But otherwise? Invulnerable. Also, if the opponent happens to use Fly or Dig and enters the invulnerable state when the Pincer Attack is hitting, it can hit Pokemon flying or digging who would otherwise be invulnerable. Pretty situational, but I thought it was fun flavor.

Stalaggmates inherits the Ability its pre-evolution had, so it can get Water Absorb, or Water Expansion/Compaction based on the from it evolved from. It can then use the Ability Capsule to switch between all three, and through the Move Tutor can learn all the Spike(r) variant moves of its pre-evolution, regardless of which form it was. So, effectively Stalaggmates ends up being the exact same regardless of which form it starts out as, being the combination of Tight and Might.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
These are great, keep it up! Those are some extremely thought out descriptions!

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BjhELde.png

This is my two-stage Normal/Flying Regional Bird---though it's more along the lines of Spearow as a two-stager, and also my idea for a new "sea bird" because I'm tired of Wingull being the only one they trot out.

They're based on frigate birds, with a color scheme serving as a reference to the frigate birds native to the Christmas Islands---so they've got a "christmas-y" color scheme going on. Of course, the main motif here is the frigate bird's inflatable sac.

Egul is an extremely egotistical and grandstanding bird Pokemon who is full of hot air---literally. It uses the heated gas to inflate the red sac on its chest to seem more impressive, attracting mates and intimidating potential rivals for love and food. It's kind of a jerk, and while a loyal Pokemon, tends to overestimate its importance. It'll often sit on its Trainer's head and act out giving orders to the other Trainer's Pokemon, which tends to create animosity towards it and bring down morale. It's kind of not popular because of this among Trainers.

It can't fly all that well with its awkward wings, so it uses its sac to float in the air, the hot air rising against the cool ocean breeze. It also uses the sac to float atop the waves, picking out fish Pokemon for food. It has an almost infinite amount of hot air, but if its ego is irrevocably deflated, its deflated appearance can be seen---this isn't a unique form or anything, just a cute sketch of it looking depressed.

It HATES Pidgey. Pidgey in the Oh'Kong Region where Egul lives is super popular among Pokemon Trainers, and Egull hates this. Consider it getting revenge for Spearow who also suffered serving as second fiddle to the Pidge'. Its selfish attitude turns a lot of Trainers off of it, so it's kind of a self-serving prophecy. Sailors like it, though, because it's seen as a lucky omen signaling a smooth sailor to port.

Stats...

BST: 290
HP: 60
Attack: 35
Defense: 40
Special Attack: 55

It's a Normal/Flying Pokemon, but goes for more HP and Special stats compared to the usual Regional Bird---remember when Pidove learned all these Special moves despite focusing on Attack? Yeah, Egul has good HP, and good Special stats.

Complementing this is a new Ability, Swelter. It works like Moxie, but increases Egul's Special Attack when it defeats a foe, as its ego swells even further. So, under the right circumstances, it can become pretty powerful. Its other Ability is Rivalry, which would receive a buff. It still increases the power of moves when used against a same-gender opponent, but no longer decreases the power when used against a different-gender opponent. So it's not a punishing Ability anymore, rather it's either +1, or =1 to advantage.

It doesn't learn many offensive moves other than a decently reliable Gust, beginning with Peck, Sand Attack, and then learning Gust, and picking up Frustration, Water Sport, Attract, Roost, Stockpile, and Spit Up. It doesn't learn Swallow, because it can't...swallow its pride. So, unevolved, it doesn't have too many options beyond a solid STAB Gust.

And then at Level 25 it evolves into Hubreeze.

It's a more traditional frigate bird, with the species' trademark enormous wingspan---it's a bit self-conscious that its wings are larger than its body, so it uses its now multiple inflatable sac to rectify this. The three sacs wrap around its necks, and around its rib area, and it inflates them to appear more impressive. Anyway, the sacs give the appearance of a down-feather jacket like Marty McFly wears, because, well, I thought that was a cool look. When they're not inflated, they're basically red stripes running around its back, but unlike Egull its "deflated" appearance isn't as pathetic looking.

It actually doesn't need to use its air sac for functionality, as its large wings allow it to keep afloat for days on air currents. It mainly just uses the sac to look cool, and if you see a Hubreeze with a sac deflated, that means its pride has been irrevocably wounded possibly by a rival. But popping its pride is a bit harder than popping Egul's, because it has the power to back up its hubris.

As proud as it is, it has a soft spot for its children. Perhaps too much? It spends a long time taking care of its children, and perhaps even babies them. This may be because they like to live out their glory days through their children, and are afraid to let the child make its own name. They'll even embarrass the pride of their child, stepping in when they're losing a battle and fighting on their behalf. But this just makes their Egul child more ambitious to boost their own ego, and the cycle continues. Hubreeze is also a bit condescending and overbearing towards its younger teammates on a Trainer's team, often looking down on them. It means well, but it tends to rub others the wrong way.

Stats

BST: 435
HP: 70
Attack: 65
Defense: 50
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 70
Speed: 90

It's a regional bird so it isn't amazing, but decent enough stats with a focus on Special. With Swelter, its Special moves can become pretty powerful over time.

It learns a lot of different moves to take advantage of this, learning Air Cutter, Feather Dance, Brine, Captivate, Tailwing, Heat Wave, Me First, and Hurricane. It can hold its own, and is slightly more unique than the usual bird.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FOaB5gQ.png

Here's my Grass Starters---I submitted these for the (defunct?) ERA PokeDex Thread, but they were always my precious children. The first form has more or less stayed the same, but I greatly re-worked the second and ESPECIALLY the final form and I'm pretty happy!

My Starter Pokemon have a bit more lore to them---a famous, legendary hero once undertook a pilgrimage aided by the three Starter Pokemon, so they've since become "revered", explaining why they're given out. They're considered "sacred" somewhat, though the more secular members of society don't see them as all that much different than regular Pokemon. It's considered bad taste to hurt them and such, but otherwise to the average folk---say from another Region---they're no different from any other Pokemon.

Moleberry is the first form. He's a star-nosed mole, but instead of a star nose, he has an orchid nose. It disguises itself as a bush, and uses its root-like tail to absorb nutrients in the soil. It's a bit of a glutton, so it can be bad news for farmers.

It's functionally blind, with its eyes beneath the shaggy fur (the yellow spots are eyebrows), but has an extremely sensitive nose it uses to smell out its surroundings and find the best soil. If it has to close its nose because of a bad smell, it has trouble functioning. Farmers keep Gloom around to ward off Moleberry, because they can't handle the smell. It's bad luck to hurt it so this is a more humane way to get rid of it.

Also when it's in bush form and its tail is in the ground, it can detect vibrations. But it has trouble smelling out or feeling bird Pokemon, and often ends up getting pecked by them as the bird attempts to look for "berries" in the bush, or even nest in it! Moleberry keeps up the bush charade though despite the annoyance because otherwise it'd be eaten!

Stats...

BST: 310
HP: 75
Attack: 40
Defense: 55
Special Attack: 60

Moleberry's the bulky Starter, with high HP and good bulk, but less offensive capabilities. Like other Grass Pokemon it has default Overgrow, but it and its evolution have Grass Pelt---though the final form has Grassy Surge.

In terms of moves, it has Scratch, Leafage, Absorb, and Bide as offensive options, plus Sand Attack, Odor Sleuth, and Ingrain as support moves. So, it can heal itself up, while using Bide as a counter move.

At Level 18 it evolves into Dendrome. It adds inspiration from the pink fairy armadillo and a naked mole rat---it's also now Grass/Fairy, as it's sort of an elf.

It sheds most of its fur and can no longer pretend to be a bush, so it disappears into the woods and is rarely seen accept by children. It can use its nose to "smell" out children because it feels safer around them because of their innocence, but it will approach certain adults who have an innocence to them.

If it finds a lost child crying in the woods, it'll lick up their tears with its feelers and guide them out. Some say that it loves the taste of children's tears to the point it purposefully draws children into the woods to make them cry, only letting them go once they've satiated their taste for tears. But this is an urban legend, and seems to be an excuse some neglectful parents offer up when they let their children wander off.

It has a more respectful relationship towards nature than Moleberry, and having gorged itself on nutrients from the ground, it returns these nutrients back to the earth. It'll even sneak back to the farms it sucked the soil from in the past and restore the nutrients it took, though if it's caught in the act it'll quickly flee. It seems it fears its horticulture magic being used by humans for their own gain.

Stats...

BST: 420
HP: 105
Attack: 55
Defense: 65
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 85

Like before its bulk goes up, though it's rather slow and not necessarily offensive.

It gains both Mega Drain and Drain Kiss as STAB, being Grass/Fairy, and has Slash and Mud Shot for additional offensive options. It also has Rototiller, to boost its offensive prowess. Use it to boost its own strength.

20 - Mega Drain
23 - Rototiller
28 - Drain Kiss
31 - Slash
36 - Mud Shot

And finally, at Level 38, there's Gnomarchid!

There's a theme of sorts of final stage Grass Pokemon kind of resembling ancient animals---it's never been confirmed as far as I know, and some are a stretch. Like, Rillaboom doesn't seem to be more than simply a modern gorilla? But anyway, I incorporated elements of the weird chalicothere, a prehistoric hulking bipedal horse thing. There weren't any cool ancient moles I could find, by the way, for a more "natural" evolution, but oh well.

It's known as the "Elder of the Forest". Wild Gnomarchid's soft body begins to harden as it reaches the end of its life, so it finds a large open clearing in the middle of the woods, and roots its tail into the ground as it goes into a comatose state. Eventually its body merges with nature around it, becoming one with the forest, and its body merging with nearby trees.

It uses its tail while asleep to send nutrients into the ground and keep watch over the forest, as it can see what the trees of the forest can. It commands local Trevenant to help keep the forest safe from those that would harm the Bug, Fairy, and Grass Pokemon who call it home. If the forest is threatened to the point the Trevanant cannot handle it, it calls upon all of the energy in the forest into the shoots on its shoulders...

This allows it to grow enormous, rainbow butterfly wings, allowing it to utilize the powerful "Rainbow Butterfly" attack that can disintegrate inorganic objects. It could destroy an entire modern city with this move if it so chose, but this has yet to happen---as far as we know. Nothing would be left of the city afterwards to remember it was there.

Gnomarchid who have been raised by humans don't grow to the same size or strength as their wild counterparts, and it has a "human scent" on it that marks it as "impure". Because of this scent, it can never enter the middle of the forest commanded by a Gnomarchid, nor can it become a forest itself. Instead when it grows old its body is broken down by mushrooms and it's reduced to soil. It can use the Rainbow Butterfly still, calling upon nearby plant life, but it's far weaker than the real deal and only causes inorganic objects to slowly deteriorate.

Even though domesticated Gnomarchid live shorter lives, perhaps they find it more fulfilling given that they bond with their Trainer?

Stats...

BST: 540
HP: 130
Attack: 80
Defense: 85
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 95
Speed: 60

The highest HP of any Starter Pokemon or Grass Pokemon, in addition to high bulk, it's a force to be reckoned with. I'm not a competitive player, so I probably might need to balance these stats out a bit?

It gains Grassy Surge as its second Ability, allowing it to summon Grassy Terrain and keep itself healed---I actually gave this Pokemon this Ability long before Rillaboom was given it since this Pokemon was created last year, but eh, they both have it I guess?

Anyway, upon evolving, it gains a new signature move...

Rainbow Butterfly - Fairy - Special
8PP/95BP/100%

The user channels the power of the forest to create vibrant wings of light to attack all foes. All Steel-type Pokemon on the field are badly poisoned upon use.

And yes this is inspired by Turn-A. Anyway, this allows it to deal with Steel-type Pokemon, as using this move won't do much damage against them, BUT afterwards Steel-type Pokemon on the field will be badly poisoned. The move hits both opponents in a Double Battle, but the poison effect is separate---as long as the move is used (even if it misses), all Steel-type Pokemon are badly poisoned following the damage from the move. This also includes if you have a Steel-type ally, so keep that in mind.

Beyond that, it learns Giga Drain as its second STAB move, and has Silver Wind and Earthpower for type coverage. It also has Moonlight to boost its HP, and Safeguard to protect itself from status effects---if you use Safeguard and then Rainbow Butterfly, an ally Steel Pokemon won't be poisoned.

It can pick up some other moves via the Move Relearner (those "Level 1" fully evolved Pokemon have), mainly Forest's Curse (turn a Pokemon into a Grass type to benefit from Rototiller), Grassy Terrain (if you don't have Grassy Surge as an Ability), and Strength Sap, for more healing capabilities.

It can deal with Fire, Steel, and Poison Pokemon thanks to Earthpower, but it has a lot of difficulty dealing with Flying and Ice-type Pokemon, as it doesn't have any good counters for them. And because its slow, its HP could potentially be whittled away faster than it can deal damage.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been spending time going back to the basics, so haven't been drawing too much Pokemon...kind of want to learn some tips and tricks for general art, and not become too focused on copying the Pokemon style.

qZfxgoM.png

Instead of trying to do the Sugimori style I kind of mimiced the Global Link art here, focusing on the basic shape. I'm not very good at shading so here I didn't shade it...sometimes I feel I make them look worse. But I think this one came out pretty good? I'm happy with the sense of depth I captured even without shadows, and usually I draw them in basic poses so drawing this dude in a more active pose and it turned out alright. Kind of used Machop a bit as an inspiration.

Anyway its name is Chesseled. It's an early game Fairy/Fighting Pokemon, and it would learn some new low level Physical Fairy-type moves to expand the rather limited selection. That's kind of its "purpose".

It has a powerful heart that's always beating 100 BPM, even while sleeping...if you listen to it with a stethoscope, you'll go deaf! It's my region's nurse Pokemon alongside Chansey, as it uses its muscles and energy to work at a hospital.

It has Big Pecks as an Ability (Japanese name is a pun on "heart") and Own Tempo. Since the Japanese word for heart and hat sound kind of similar, I gave it a cute hat.

I swear though I feel I was inspired unknowingly by a cartoon character here but I can't think of which.