• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I've been playing through the game on Ps Now, and man, this is a truly great FPS.
The mood, the punchy weapons, the encounters (the bar defense sequence, the boat, the giant spider), its all absolutely stellar and I'm only midway through it.

But the presentation. Damn, it really feels like the ps3 is on it's last breath to run this game. The super low sub-hd resolution and the choppy (and sometimes terrible) framerate really bring the experience down. I thought it might be because of PS Now, but I have a 100 mb/s connection on cable, and after watching some YouTube videos of the game I can see its not the stream service fault (although some arctifacting is noticeable on darker scenes)

The art direction is so fantastic, everything is very dynamic, from the vegetation and electric cables blowing in the wind, to the enemy ragdolls flying around with explosions, the spaceships lights making a beautiful dance of light and shadow around the scenery.... But all this with a hugely blurry resolution and an extremely choppy framerate.

I think that if this game released on PS4 at 1080p and 60fps, or hell, even a rock solid 30fps, it could benefit so much from it.
It's really all that is missing from this great FPS.. It's hardware powerful enough to bring its vision to life without compromise.

Just wanted to let this out because I'm really in love with this game, but it's hard to ignore the technical problems.

What did you think of Resistance 3 when you first played it on ps3? Was it already a choppy experience or am I just used to the newer consoles that provide a much crisper image and mostly solid framerates?

Any other games that were clearly struggling to run last gen that you feel could benefit greatly from a remaster?

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
A remastered Resistance collection in PS4 would be a good idea.

Max Payne 3 could also do with some remaster love in consoles. Better resolution and 60 fps would help a bit.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
I think about the Resistance 2 multiplayer on a weekly basis.

I am still surprised it hasn't been cloned closely since.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play Resistance: Retribution (PSP) made by Bend Studio. It's my favourite Resistance game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Really enjoyed Resistance 3. Somewhat rubbish ending aside it was a big step up after the disappointment of R2.

OneSneakyBob

Nov 19, 2019
It's been awhile since I played it but the Resistance 3 campaign was good times. The whole trilogy needs a remaster with the multiplayer of 2 coming along with it.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot, but felt the game's visual presentation was very rough.

It ran at a rather low resolution, apparently as a result of the large amount of transparancies that was used in the game.
It wuld probably be very good looking with just a resolution bump.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Resistance is my favorite FPS franchise of all time, even recognizing the flaws that 2 had.

Would love a remaster of the whole series, but most of all I'm desperate for Resistance 4.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still puzzled there's no Resistance (or even Killzone) collection on PS4. Would buy both collections in a heartbeat.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see Sony release both of their PS3 shooter trilogies with optional VR on the PS5. After they have put out proper VR controllers of course. All Resistance games had a lot of neat ideas and created unique worlds.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Hell yes, Resistance 3 was awesome. Had a whole load of fun over-the-top DOOM/Bulletstorm guns. I remember this one being a lot of fun, albeit blasting through it pretty quickly.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
One of the best single player campaigns of its generation. Fantastic game who's only flaw was the hardware it ran on. If this were released on PS4 with a resolution bump, it would be beautiful.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance 3 was fantastic, was my favourite single player campaign for an fps in a long time but yeah, the textures were so muddy and low res and the framerate struggled. A remaster would be a definite buy from me.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This game is probably the only game where I noticed how agressive the ammo distribution was. Really forced you to swap weapons regularly. It's kind brilliant how they nudged you to certain weapons during certain fight

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This game is probably the only game where I noticed how agressive the ammo distribution was. Really forced you to swap weapons regularly. It's kind brilliant how they nudged you to certain weapons during certain fight

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the franchise so much. Platinum'ed all games in the series and Fall of Man was all I played from the PS3 launch until when Modern Warfare came out. So much fun.

Didn't like 2 as much but the MP and Co-op was amazing. 3 was phenomenal as OP has already mentioned and nobody remind me that Retribution has no remake or sequel :(

Oct 24, 2019
Resistance 1-3, Killzone 1-3, God of War 1&2, Sly Cooper 1-3, inFamous 1&2, and Ratchet & Clank Future Saga all NEED remake collections next gen.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Resistance 1 had the best health system in any modern FPS.

A mix of regenerating and collectable health that meant you couldn't just camp to heal up, but you didn't have to totally depend on pick ups.

Edit: Modern.... 14 damn years ago.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Resistance 1 was a great launch game, in fact the PS3 games I got at launch, Resistrance, F1 and Motorstorm all made me very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I feel Playstion lacks in an exclusive FPS at the moment. A reboot of Resistance or/and Killzone would be great alongside the PS5. The Getaway needs a reboot aswell. In done with remasters myself but all for reboots.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I totally skipped this one because I didn't play the first two. I would LOVE a collection similar to the Nathan Drake Collection of just the three campaigns... 4K60 or bust

I did play Retribution though, and that also deserves a second shot. Bend did REAL good

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sony really shit the bed regarding remasters and legacy content in general. There is so much stuff rotting on PS3.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Yeah it's one of my favorite PS3 game ever, I don't know what magic they used but they somehow made a ''brown FPS'' brimming with style and atmosphere.

Simply just reflecting on it made me want to play it again, shame that I don't have a working PS3 anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28962

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Playing through Resistance 3 with a PS Move was the most fun I've had with a FPS campaign. I didn't mind the sub-HD resolution as it added a soft hazy look that gelled well with the lighting in R3.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,great game....I'm not that sensitive to tech stuff so had no issues with it on PS3.
A remaster would be nice though,but I could say that about a lot of PS3 games.....my PS3 actually just broke so I've no access to my collection right now,will probably pick up a second hand super slim at some point.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Somehow never got around to these on PS3. Would be interested in a remaster/BC or maybe on PSNow. Do PS Moves work through PS Now or do they need the PS3 camera still?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Resistance 3 was an amazing game, the trilogy deserves a remaster for sure. They got better with each iteration (granted the addition of health regen in 2 was an unwanted change that was thankfully amended in 3 to partial health regen) and I'd love to see them running smoothly with great visuals.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I never really understood why R3 was kind of shunned and seen as the "ugly child" of the three. It was great just like the other two, and had an incredible gritty, yet cartoony aesthetic that put it leagues above the second game visually. The gunplay was so much fun as well. Insomniac really does make amazing stuff, and it's a shame Resistance gets largely ignored in hindsight compared to their other IPs. The thought that we might not see anymore games out of Insomniac's old IPs and mainly Spider-man for the forseeable future is quite sad personally. They have too strong a creative vision to be stuck on a licsend IP, regardless of its success.

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
What did you think of Resistance 3 when you first played it on ps3?

I only played the demo and kinda liked it, but there were so many other FPS games and I found Insomniac to be quite uneven last generation + found Resistance 1 and 2 to be underwhelming (I will never understand how R2 was a 95% on IGN), so I ended up not playing the third one. That was probably a mistake and I can only hope PS5 will play PS3 games (probably unlikely) or we get a remaster at some point.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd pay full price for a remaster of this game. This, along with Killzone 2, are the two best shooters I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you completely, OP. R3 is a true gem of a game that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Even the multiplayer was fairly enjoyable and had potential to be something special if tweaked and developed a bit further.

Sony has had a great gen overall but the break they took from FPS development has been a source of great sadness to me.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
I think about the Resistance 2 multiplayer on a weekly basis.

I am still surprised it hasn't been cloned closely since.

Are you me? I really don't get how we haven't got anything like it in the 10 years since. 8-player, class-based co-op sounds like a no-brainer. One of the things that really stood out was how you had to have atleast one of each class, the game is impossible with less than three players. Made teamwork essential in a natural way because you where always dependant on the others. It was a beautiful thing.

Im still sad they shut down the servers, played everyday leading up to that moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36186

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I want the climbing animation improved.

Can't argue with this haha, the climbing animation seems to come from a totally different game, since the rest of the game is so well animated.

Glad to see more people that really enjoyed the game and would buy a remaster! Here's hoping Sony does something about it someday.
If the PS5 could play and enhance PS3 games it would be perfect for these sorts of games that are forgotten on the PS3 and that deserved better hardware.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
100% agree. The game was held back by it's rendering resolution and soup-can FOV.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be remembering wrong - it was a long time ago now - but I loved the coop mode in Resistance 2 and really didn't like that the third one didn't have it. Like, that mode was amazing and I played it so much and the sequel didn't have it at all. I was really bummed.

JiGGseVen

Jun 13, 2019
The joy I had playing the Resistance series! Specially the first one! What a great console launch title it was!

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Resistance 3 is such a damn good game and it fixed pretty much every misstep that was made in Resistance 2. Would love to see a trilogy remaster.