• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
MAN WORKS AT A THRIFT STORE
ScreenShot4721.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I too recently watched Rugrats for the first time in years. Thanks Passover episode. I was surprised how much more grounded it felt compared to practically every other kids show I've seen lately.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reptar was huge so it's not that hard to believe Stu hit it big with some of those toys.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to the Simpsons
hqdefault.jpg

Lenny is college educated and seemingly higher up the ladder than Homer. Also has no kids or wife to pay for.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Come to think what was the episode? Where the Germans buy the Power Plant. Marge mentions they never had a savings account.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
None of these characters should be able to own homes. Only accurate depiction we had growing up was Malcolm In The Middle.
Thinking about it out of all the 90s-early 00s Sitcoms theirs was the only one that down to earth and was more true to life then the others as they were on the verge of poverty etc.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Outside of the "it's just a show" answer, houses were cheaper back then so the grandparents of even the middle class could help with the down payment. Nowadays it's the parent's of rich kids who help out.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Imagine you work 50+ hours a week at Conglom-O and your neighbor works at a fucking comic book shop.

Spongebob lived there before the job. I always assume his parents bought it for him or something similar.

It was also on one chapter stated that his home sprouted from a seed when it got eaten by those worm like creatures. I made my cannon that his home was rather a natural creation than a building.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What did Howard and Betty do?

I think Chaz had some office job

Drew was an accountant and Charlotte was some kind of executive

Suzi's parents Lucy and Randy were a doctor and TV writer

Howard also has a office job and I think Betty is a gym trainer? Maybe the gym rat aesthetic is making me misremember. I do know in one of the earlier episodes they mention that the twins do commercial work.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is a common troupe in tv/flim.

Remember Ghost. He lived in a huge ass loft apartment in NYC.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This was considered a middle class home in the 1990s

ZCJ77ZAR7FE2VBDQOTEC24ESSI.jpg

Cut out the additions on the left and right and I did have a friend two streets over from me that lived in a house like this.

both Spongebob and Squidward work at a fast food restaurant and live in multi story homes. It's even joked on at least one occasion they both pay Mr. Krabs to work there, rather than get paid for working there.

Not to overexamine Spongebob, but he and Squidward live in trash from the surface. They may not have actually had to pay for their houses, just the furnishings.

I wonder what's the shittiest sitcom house

The Belchers maybe? Crammed between a funeral home an an empty storefront in a one floor space that seemed to not have one degree of wasted area.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Perspective: I live with my parents and they bought our house for $78,000 in 1996. This same house is now worth around $300,000. House inflation is insane, and we don't even live in a great neighborhood.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Oct 25, 2017
This. Stu's problem, from what I remember, always seemed to be he wanted to do the next big thing instead of constantly reiterating on popular toys. So when he hit it he really knocked it out of the park. I mean, remember when he went to Paris to sell something to Reptar Land? You don't do that shit unless you're a big shot.

This, dude was head of what was basically a Disney Imagineering project

rrp504.jpg

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Maybe they live in a middle America city like Lexington KY which at least back in the early 1990s was affordable for lower middle class to own a house.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
MAN WORKS AT A THRIFT STORE
ScreenShot4721.jpg
In season 3 Larry and Balki get new jobs, Larry a reporter working in the basement of the newspaper and Balki in the mail room, and they get a BIGGER apartment. Plus their girlfriends are stewardesses and live in the same apartment as them. (the first one)

Not only that but Carl and Harriet Winslow originally moved into the same apartment building for two years then moved out into a fairly large house. Makes me wonder where all the kids were staying in that apartment before. Wait. How many kids do they have? Just the two? Still, four people in a small apartment. At least when they're living in the house they have like a billion people living there. Well at least three working adults. (I assume Mother Winslow is retired) Rachel has her own restaurant eventually. Carl is still a cop. And Harriet is apparently Chief of Security.

In season 7 Larry and his now wife Jennifer try to move out on their own, into a large victorian house, but realize they can't afford it so of course Balki and Mary Anne move in with them. Still not sure how they can afford it even then.

He makes $360ish a week
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-01%20at%2012.42.50%20PM.png
That's what I was making at my job that I just left. Can I have a house?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This is similar to the McCallisters house in home alone which was considered the wealthiest house on a block of incredibly wealthy houses, where the parents can fly their entire family to Paris for Christmas and afford first class tickets.
It is a very John Hughes-looking house. A lot of his characters (with few exceptions) were rather wealthy and lived in that upper-middle to upper class range. Even the Griswolds were pretty well off.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Do any of these shows ever have multiple peeps living crammed in a tiny ass apartment? I feel like Hey Arnold got the closest with the boarding house and everyone having to fight over one bathroom, but even then Arnold had his own room complete with all sorts of fancy shit.

Like, even the Malcolm in the Middle home looks fancy as shit to me. They had both a front and back yard. Although I guess a tiny set wouldn't make for good TV.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Do any of these shows ever have multiple peeps living crammed in a tiny ass apartment? I feel like Hey Arnold got the closest with the boarding house and everyone having to fight over one bathroom, but even then Arnold had his own room complete with all sorts of fancy shit.

Like, even the Malcolm in the Middle home looks fancy as shit to me. They had both a front and back yard. Although I guess a tiny set wouldn't make for good TV.
Good Times had a whole family living In a tiny apartment. That show was way too real and deep.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Different country, but my folks had their house appreciated the other day and its worth almost three times what they bought it for 30 years ago (a price I can only dream of).
And while they're relatively close to a middle-sized city, they live in one of most remote regions of the country.

So yeah, the 80s/90s were very different...

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Arnold was the landlord, everyone else in the building was funding his lavish shit.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao my girlfriend and I recently rewatched Rugrats up to In Paris and had this same thought.

Also OG Rugrats was GOOD and it goes downhill soooo fast after the first 3-4 seasons ):