• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
A warning on Made in Abyss:

I tried this show on a recommendation from a friend. YMMV of course, but I absolutely despise the protagonist. She's that special kind of stupid who should fail miserably at every turn but for the four or so episodes I endured, she was never really punished. I understand that's connected to the premise of the show, but I didn't believe this program had the balls to really take the dive so I dropped it.

The show also doesn't respect your intelligence: The second episode starts with the protagonist facing the camera and explaining her objectives and motivations, in the presence of people who already know them and after a chunk of the first episode was already spent establishing all of it. If you feel the need to recap, show, there are better ways to go about it lol. Or just have a recap. Don't present it all as new material lol

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to highlight anime released this decade.

Shows:
Mononoke
giphy.gif

Ping-Pong The Animation
GAvO.gif

Aggretsuko
b3a04a810ba3db748b432034d0b9b130.gif

Devilman Crybaby
devilman_crybaby2_news.gif

Movies:
The Wind Rises
5q7G.gif

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
104070.gif

Wolf Children
FarflungSimilarAustraliancattledog-size_restricted.gif

Your Name
Run-run-run3-under-2mb.gif

The Red Turtle
gBMIrdW.jpg

Some of the suggestions in this thread really left me wanting.

Start with the best ever, OP.

Yeah boyyyyy

Go watch 2004's Mind Game if you haven't seen it, too.

Oh, and always, subbed >>>>> dubbed

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Isekai are the best so watch:

Re:zero - This guy living in the modern world is transported to another medieval type world where he keeps getting killed but comes back in order to relive that scenario and avoid getting killed. This advances the plot until he gets killed again, rinse repeat.

Overlord - One of the last users in an mmorpg is transported to that world. His character was that of a undead overlord but he actually rules his evolving npc world with some level of humanity.

That time i got reincarnated as a slime (ongoing) - This modern guy is killed and his consciousness transported to another fantasy like world in the form of a slime. He ends up becoming a super OP slime but the show is still funny and entertaining regardless.

Sword art online (ongoing) - The original series is about people that are stuck in a VR world with a medieval fantasy setting where death there means death irl. This premise slightly changes throughout the different seasons but mostly it ends up becoming save this person or that person who is trapped in VR. There is an off shoot series about a fps game which was good too.

In another world with my smartphone - this modern dude is killed by a car and when speaking with god he is told he can send him back to another world (medieval fantasy) with his cell phone. His cell phone still works for stuff like gps and doing searches plus this world has magic. So he's super OP in magic and everyone thinks he's a genius because of the stuff he can look up on his phone. Also he has a harem. 5/5. Would watch again.

Konosuba - a modern kid is sent to another world when he dies. He forms a party of adventurers and tries to make a new life in this new world. This is a kind of a spoof of all the other isekai shows that come out and its actually pretty hilarious.

Death March to the parallel world rhapsody - guy wakes up in the fantasy mmo world he is programming. Shortly after arriving he becomes super OP.

Shield hero (ongoing) - guy is pulled from his world to a fantasy world along with a fewother dudes and they are told they are legendary heroes. Each has their own special weapon with the shield hero said to be the weakest (he cant really attack). The show is about the shield hero's quest to get stronger.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
People will tell you to watch My Hero Academia. Only do so if you have a burning desire for complete generic mediocrity.

Older classics like Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Gurren Lagan are worthwhile if you haven't seen them yet.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Came here to anti-recommend One Punch Man. Most people love the thing. My friends and I watched it together based off the glowing praise and were bewildered by it. It has one joke. That's it. And it looks really good sometimes. I was super bored by it.

Mob Psycho 100 will probably be more to your tastes. If you haven't watched it, you should.

Oct 27, 2017

Re:zero - This guy living in the modern world is transported to another medieval type world where he keeps getting killed but comes back in order to relive that scenario and avoid getting killed. This advances the plot until he gets killed again, rinse repeat.

Overlord - One of the last users in an mmorpg is transported to that world. His character was that of a undead overlord but he actually rules his evolving npc world with some level of humanity.

That time i got reincarnated as a slime (ongoing) - This modern guy is killed and his consciousness transported to another fantasy like world in the form of a slime. He ends up becoming a super OP slime but the show is still funny and entertaining regardless.

Sword art online (ongoing) - The original series is about people that are stuck in a VR world with a medieval fantasy setting where death there means death irl. This premise slightly changes throughout the different seasons but mostly it ends up becoming save this person or that person who is trapped in VR. There is an off shoot series about a fps game which was good too.

In another world with my smartphone - this modern dude is killed by a car and when speaking with god he is told he can send him back to another world (medieval fantasy) with his cell phone. His cell phone still works for stuff like gps and doing searches plus this world has magic. So he's super OP in magic and everyone thinks he's a genius because of the stuff he can look up on his phone. Also he has a harem. 5/5. Would watch again.

Konosuba - a modern kid is sent to another world when he dies. He forms a party of adventurers and tries to make a new life in this new world. This is a kind of a spoof of all the other isekai shows that come out and its actually pretty hilarious.

Death March to the parallel world rhapsody - guy wakes up in the fantasy mmo world he is programming. Shortly after arriving he becomes super OP.

Shield hero (ongoing) - guy is pulled from his world to a fantasy world along with a fewother dudes and they are told they are legendary heroes. Each has their own special weapon with the shield hero said to be the weakest (he cant really attack). The show is about the shield hero's quest to get stronger.
That's a whole lotta isekai. Funnily enough about Shield Hero, I saw a review of the first episode the other day where instead of actually reviewing the show they posted links and resources to sexual assault and anti-slavery help groups and NGOs. They found it more distasteful than the first episode of Goblin Slayer. :P

Madoka isn't a deconstruction of the magical girl genre, it's just misogynistic.

I've been hearing this lately but I've never been convinced. It's not a deconstruction, I agree, but I don't see the original series, taken as a whole, as misogynistic.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
If you can get past the absolutely hideous art style, clannad and clannad: after story is straight up my favorite drama television show.

It leans so hard on themeing, particularly the theme of family, and I adore it so much. Once I got a friend to watch it and we picked apart individual episodes for hours. There are little anime tropes here and there but the big picture is so well realized. And every characters relationships between each other felt nuanced and organic

God I want to watch it again.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

Watched most of the list or tried to, but I'd only recommend Konasuba and Shield Hero (most of them are kinda generic imo and/or have not so good protagonists I'm looking at you Re:Zero), though I'd add "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" and "Log Horizon".

Disappointed at no one mentioning Hinamatsuri, one of the funniest anime I've seen and binge watched.

Hinamatsuri-2.gif

already mentioned but I'll second One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100%

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 for sure. Im so happy the second season back. The show has one of my favorite artstyles ever, extremely endearing characters, and excellent episode plots

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha Ha don't watch anime you're all so clever.

Asobi Asobase is a hilarious ass comedy if you want a recent one.

Any genre in particular?

Oct 27, 2017
Devilman Crybaby - Anime about demons, sex, blood and gore and how horrible people can be. Watch it because it is very short and the best anime of last year.
High Score Girl - A very heartwarming love story between a guy and a girl who love the arcade. The anime takes place over years and has tons of nostalgia if you liked the 90's fighting and arcade games.
Kuromukuro - Imagine Demolition Man but in an anime that has mecha and aliens. It is really fun to watch especially if you like the people from the past go to the modern days tropes.
Samurai Champloo - Imagine Cowboy Bepop but instead of space bounty hunters it is about samurais. Also has some of the coolest styles and soundtrack ever.
Kaguya Love is War - Anime about two people trying to get the other to confess which results in very funny situations. It is still running so join us for the ride.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed at no one mentioning Hinamatsuri, one of the funniest anime I've seen and binge watched.
God damn I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting it. Easily the best anime of the last 10 years and I'm not even the slightest bit joking.

A warning on Made in Abyss:

I tried this show on a recommendation from a friend. YMMV of course, but I absolutely despise the protagonist. She's that special kind of stupid who should fail miserably at every turn but for the four or so episodes I endured, she was never really punished. I understand that's connected to the premise of the show, but I didn't believe this program had the balls to really take the dive so I dropped it.

The show also doesn't respect your intelligence: The second episode starts with the protagonist facing the camera and explaining her objectives and motivations, in the presence of people who already know them and after a chunk of the first episode was already spent establishing all of it. If you feel the need to recap, show, there are better ways to go about it lol. Or just have a recap. Don't present it all as new material lol

That's the part you're going to warn people about in MiA? Not the fact that the first episode has the main female character (who looks like she's 5 even though I guess she's... 12?) is punished by her teacher by tying her up naked? Or that the adults have no problem peering down the pants of a little boy to check that he is indeed a boy? Or the scenes where the camera leers on the same girl from earlier while she's naked for 10-20 seconds? None of that is worth mentioning as a warning?

Still haven't heard a single good excuse for why those scenes exist (bearing in mind that absolutely none of them would had to have been on camera directly or indirectly and the world could have still been built up the same way they were going for).

Last edited:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I would recommend Space Dandy. So fresh and free of the usual anime bullshit.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Updated OP, but anything really. I like me a good slice of life and I like me a good action anime I like a good thirller. I'm all over.

If you want a good, chill, recent iyashikei-y slice of life, try Yuru Camp. It's like a warm blanket if the blanket were anime, and I love it very much. Here's a YouTube link to the first episode.

If you'd prefer a slice of life with more of a plot, there's A Place Further Than The Universe, which is straight up one of my favourite anime, ever. Here's another YouTube link.

Watch Non Non Biyori

Flying Witch is also extremely good if you're looking for a nice, relaxing show.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Mob Psycho
JoJo
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
My Hero Academia
Madoka Magica

I highly recommend all of those to be honest.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Good thread, was gonna make it myself. I've been off of anime these past 10 years or so so I'll need any and every anime I need to peep. There's been so much stuff that I haven't been able to access and my life's just been busier than ever.

I did see Madoka Magicka though, that was pretty dope.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
3gatsu no Lion (a.k.a March Comes in like a Lion).

This is the best anime ever made. Ever.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been hearing this lately but I've never been convinced. It's not a deconstruction, I agree, but I don't see the original series, taken as a whole, as misogynistic.

At the worst there's the one line about how

Kyubey seeks out young girls because they produce "the most emotional energy"

but if you couple that with the fan theory that

Kyubey also represents the traits of an Abusive Boyfriend, as the main characters each exhibit signs of an abusive relationship such as:

-eating disorder

-isolation/loneliness

-turning friends against one another and/or guilt them to help their friends ("Don't you want to make a wish to save Sayaka?")

But these are all given the proper framing, i.e. these are bad things. I would not consider the work misogynistic at all.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to check out brand new, just recently airing shows, the top picks would be:

-Dororo
-The Promised Neverland
-Mob Psycho 100 (technically season 2, but trust me, you won't regret caching up with season 1)

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing a whole lot of Land of the Lustrous recs here people. Time to step your game up.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I might be strange for suggesting this but I loved Chiaka: The Coffin Princess, season 2 wasn't quite as good as season 1 but I still loved it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun is another one I 'd say you should watch, it parodies shoujo manga very nicely, and the side characters are wonderful.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Mob Psycho if you want some incredible animation and a really well written main character that defies most of the genre norms.

Land of the Lustrous if you want to see what a good CG anime looks like.

Konosuba and Magical Circle Guru Guru for incredible fantasy comedies.

Ganktsuou if you want to see an anime version of The Count of Monte Cristo that still manages to remain somewhat faithful to the book despite being set in the future, plus with some really creative visuals.

Ping Pong for the best sports anime there is.

For movies, anything by Satoshi Kon is basically guaranteed to be great, and Sword of the Stranger is pretty much the definitive action anime movie.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Gintama (always), Haikyuu!, Full Metal Alchemist, Konosuba, Golden Kamuy, Run With The Wind, SSSS Gridman and finally, Dororo, which is four episodes into its run on Amazon, is building up to be something special.