• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do my reviews have magical taste powers?

• Yes

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 19 15.0%

• Total voters

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

OP^

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who's Elite, do it. Constant invites to new places and old, free of charge.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
My fiance got yelp elite. Some Yelp person here (Chicago) liked her pictures and reviews so she got an invite.
Still waiting for the VIP party invites...

CeramicDragon

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
Elite in what? Elite in nothing. Yelp is a garbage company. They are the mafia towards businesses and restaurants. They will make bad reviews show up on the top if you don't pay them. Everyone complains about the most random stuff. These people think they are important being yelpers.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our worst review is from a yelper so into themselves they went as far as to review a yelp party lol. Anyway please do remember you're capable of affecting people's livelihoods and to use your influence with some empathy and understanding.
I worked at a place where it got a yelp review of 3 after the poster commented how the food looked through the store window...

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Online reviews has been what has changed us years and years ago from chain restaurant customers to local restaurant customers.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yelp is good. Empowers good local restaurants instead of shit chains garnering business of the uninformed.

Getting shit reviews? Make better food and offer better service.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is Yelp still as scummy as its always been?
Elite in what? Elite in nothing. Yelp is a garbage company. They are the mafia towards businesses and restaurants. They will make bad reviews show up on the top if you don't pay them. Everyone complains about the most random stuff. These people think they are important being yelpers.
People still use Yelp? That shit is rigged as hell.

Gonna need some receipts.

It's funny how the restaurants complaining about Yelp tend to be the shitty ones

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yelp is fucking terrible.
It empowers the worst people in our society to fuck up people's livelihood over petty shit. Also, a lot of people are racist in this country, let's think for a moment what that means for a POC who is trying to run a restaurant.
It also really fucking sucks in its supposed job, I challenge anyone to find me a city where the top ten best yelp reviewed places is a list they want to defend.
In my experience finding a random food blogger get you better odds at finding a place you'd enjoy.

There are few companies that I want gone more than Yelp, they also have horrible horrible business practices.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yelp is good. Empowers good local restaurants instead of shit chains garnering business of the uninformed.

Getting shit reviews? Make better food and offer better service.

I literally saw a lot of Yelp reviews of authentic Chinese places where a lot of Germans expected western Chinese food....
"Where is the sweet sour pork?"
"Pig feet on the menu. Wow! Disgusting!"
"The sichuan food was far too spicy!"

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap really? I never knew this was a thing. We are always going to new places.

Do you need to have a wide range of scores? Or is it more review quality/length/quantity?

She doesn't have many reviews (I think probably less than 100 and not all restaurants) but she gets a lot of "votes" or whatever Yelp has. She does travel a ton so her reviews are from all over the country.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I literally saw a lot of Yelp reviews of authentic Chinese places where a lot of Germans expected western Chinese food....
"Where is the sweet sour pork?"
"Pig feet on the menu. Wow! Disgusting!"
"The sichuan food was far too spicy!"

Some Germans not knowing what authentic Chinese food is yelps fault how? Germans in the know can read reviews and make up their own mind. That's why there is a review along the score.

I'm sure Chinese people are not well informed about authentic German food either. Have you seen Asian style western food? Lol. Hamburg steak, sweet burgers, mediocre steak houses.

That's yelps fault too? Lol

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
She doesn't have many reviews (I think probably less than 100 and not all restaurants) but she gets a lot of "votes" or whatever Yelp has. She does travel a ton so her reviews are from all over the country.

You need 50 to 100 reviews per year depending on region. You need to write good quality reviews. You need to have a Yelp profile. Then you can join yelp elite. And yes it's awesome

I don't inherently see a problem with it, but the culture around Yelp can be gross.
Just curious - How often do you leave negative reviews - and for what reasons?

As for using yelp in general -
I use Yelp to scour the restaurants in the area, and usually you can tell by a few sincere reviews how the place is going to be - but you gotta dig through all the reviews and learn to spot BS reviews.

Knowing all the hard work that goes into maintaining a small business, I've never left a negative review - if I do review, it's to help out a small place that normally wouldn't get a lot of exposure.
If the restaurant was a legit health concern, then I might.