• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised to see so many people not knowing about Draygon.

It's not exactly something magazines, walkthroughs, speedruns, etc. omit.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised people didnt knew that about super metroid. I always thought crystal flash was the most obscure tech of that game.

source.gif
Crystal Flash showed up in Smash Bros, kind of

it's Mainstream now

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
on LA:DX did boots
on LA:Remake I was wiser and did the jump, since I had the feather ability always equipped this time

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I never fight Ceaseless Discharge in Dark Souls the legit way anymore. Down the hole he goes.
My first time fighting the boss was strange. I didn't go pick up the items, didn't even know there was items there. Instead I attacked the boss when it was just standing there... and it didn't do anything, anything at all. So I just shoot it to death. I thought it was some sort of joke boss or something, but apparently the boss just glitched, because I've never been able to defeat it that way again (Switch version btw).

I actually also tried to ran back to the mist wall, but I guess the boss was able to kill me before dying itself, otherwise I would've been able to figure out this trick by myself.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It's fun seeing people react to being able to roll through Ganon's legs in Ocarina of Time. Funny enough, it was the first thing I tried when I fought him first under the logic of "If that's him using the Triforce of Power, I need to counter with Courage. Hmm... CHAAARGE!"

One thing I rarely see mentioned, though, is what you can use to hurt him. Did you know that Deku Nuts used when targeting Ganon's tail will damage him?

This makes one of the easiest ways to finish the first part fast to roll under him, immediately Z-Target and throw a Deku Nut. No need for accurate positioning, you just need the tail lock.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
lol yeah, easiest boss fight in the game when you know what you can do

Let him take you and use the grapple on the destroyed turrets. The grapple beam conducts electricity and kills the boss super quickly but it also damages Samus, so don't do it if you're really low on health.

(Super Metroid is insane)

I discovered this by accident because I panicked when it grabed me!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a twist:

Is there a record of anyone - literally any fucking person who has defeated Ceaseless Discharge in Dark Souls legitimately...?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
lol yeah, easiest boss fight in the game when you know what you can do

Let him take you and use the grapple on the destroyed turrets. The grapple beam conducts electricity and kills the boss super quickly but it also damages Samus, so don't do it if you're really low on health.

(Super Metroid is insane)

Holy shit this is crazy. This game was so ahead of it's time it's nuts. There's a reason it's still considered the best Metroid game almost 3 decades later.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
So I only did this the first time I played it, but I can't be the only one who thought Psycho Mantis was an absurd leap in difficulty the first time they played MGS? Eventually I beat him by wearing him down, all the while complaining about poor game design. I was so mad when I found out how you were actually supposed to go about it.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Now the fucking jumping with the feather thing, thats new to me and im more of the opinion becuase that boss is terribly telegraphed. Dont you even get the boots in that dungeon? Nothing tells you its safe to use the feather there.

Well, it's Link's Awakening. At least on the Gameboy you could dodge any attack in the top-down view by jumping. Only in the rare side-view parts (most notably, the boss of level 7 and the basement of level 8) you can be hit while jumping. IIRC you could cheese the game even further by attacking in the air, hitting targets you can't reach by standing.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I only did this the first time I played it, but I can't be the only one who thought Psycho Mantis was an absurd leap in difficulty the first time they played MGS? Eventually I beat him by wearing him down, all the while complaining about poor game design. I was so mad when I found out how you were actually supposed to go about it.
Doesn't Campbell call you in the middle of the fight and tell you what to do?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped over that Link's Awakening miniboss when I was playing the remake and honestly couldn't remember if I already knew I could do that or not

how did I beat it before?? DID I jump over it?? who knows

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
please tell me there's a secret method to beating this boss with no trouble

aLj2v.gif

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
An even easier way to beat him OP is to just stand at the corner, wait for him to approach, and just as he is about to make the turn, your sword will reach and hit him in the back. Rinse and repeat.

This.

It's also possible to get it locked in a pattern where it just keeps moving between two points. As long as you it when it stops, it'll turn back around and go back the way it came. Just rinse and repeat until it's dead.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wind Waker's "one hit kill with sacred water" Boss still blows my mind, because WHO THOUGHT TO DO THAT?
giphy.gif

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
please tell me there's a secret method to beating this boss with no trouble

aLj2v.gif
stand still in the same place where the cannonball makes the arc over your head. alternatively, just jump in place (without touching no direction on the d-pad) when the cannonball is approaching you, so you don't walk down the hill due the physics;

right? =)

Samuri

Oct 26, 2017
Genuine question: is it universal knowledge that during the King Dodongo boss fight in OoT, you can stand on the rim of the lava pit in the center and he'll never hit you when he rolls around? I read this trick as a kid and have never attempted the fight any other way so don't actually know for sure if this is the intended method to avoid him.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The Wind Waker/forest water thing is also harder than it looks since you not only have to go out of your way to get the water (it's not located in the dungeon at all), but (IIRC) the water has a time limit before it turns into ordinary water

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Wait..what's the intended way?

You're supposed to fight every boss by timing and parrying their moves, and getting a cinematic "kill" when their posture meter is depleted. You can also deplete the posture meter by lowering their health, but good luck with that before you have any upgrades. Normal attacks after they whiff basically do chip damage of the bosses and do decent posture damage, but if you hit & run their posture recovers.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to fight every boss by timing and parrying their moves, and getting a cinematic "kill" when their posture meter is depleted. You can also deplete the posture meter by lowering their health, but good luck with that before you have any upgrades. Normal attacks after they whiff basically do chip damage of the bosses and do decent posture damage, but if you hit & run their posture recovers.
I understand that, I mean for the ogre specifically, it can be parried?