• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
aaSmxhM.jpg

I first played Link's awakening when I was around 12 or 13. This mini boss was always the most annoying to fight. My strategy was to use the boots, run and chase it till I reach his back and land a hit. It always annoyed me how long and cumbersome that fight is since running with the boots is really imprecise. Over the years I have replayed the game multiple times and used the same technique. Tonight I was playing the remake on switch and reached that mini boss the SECOND time in the previous to last dungeon. I accidentally used the feather to jump and landed behind it ...

To my defense, I never use guides to play Zelda. The fun for me is to solve the riddles on my own

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even want to know how long it took me as a kid to roll under Ganon's legs in Ocarina of Time instead of mindlessly running around him hoping I can get one stab in.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I learned a few days ago that you can run 'n gun your way through the jetski sections in Uncharted 1. Elena will automatically aim for nearby barrels and enemies and never needs to reload.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've... always ran like a madman after the boss too. Damn.

I thought this was gonna be about Draygon though:

pQuXDr.gif

I always feel like I'm cheating when I do it :s

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I ran to beat the boss as well, definitely didn't occur to me to jump. Granted I played Link's Awakening for the first time a few months ago (played through the original and then the Switch remake back to back).

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh you can use the feather? I would stand in the corner with my shield up until he passes me and then swipe at his behind.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It took me about an hour to beat the Ogre boss in Sekiro because I was trying to simply slash, dodge, and run instead of parrying. Your normal attacks do shit for damage lol, it took a long while before my habits would let me play the game the way the devs "intended".

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm jogging my memory with some online resources, Zelda does this A LOT. Kalle Demos in Wind Waker (the big plant) can be insta killed by dumping forest water on it.

Edit: Oh SHIT and of course, waiting a week for The End to die out in MGS3 😂

Last edited:

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
You can also beat that boss by hitting it on the side right after it hits a corner. You don't have to hit it from behind. But yeah, the feather makes that fight a joke lol.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took me about 20 years to figure out how to beat the final boss in Fantasy Zone on the Master System. The final boss is actually a giant Opa-Opa (called Opapa-Opapa) but you don't know it til you beat the game. You just see the tip of the ship, and it shoots 6 giant bullets out at you one at a time. To beat him, you have to destroy each bullet one at a time. The bullets have trails on them, kind of like Snake, and they zip around in set patterns filling the screen. The first 5 are super easy to beat, but the 6th is damn near impossible. Instead of going in a set pattern, it comes straight at you, following you. Even with the fastest speed upgrade, it's faster than you. It takes too many shots to kill before it hits you, even with a cheating rapid fire controller. I thought it was legitimately impossible to beat, until I one day realized that the Heavy Bombs in the game were invulnerable. In the game, the last boss is called "The Assemble" and it's a boss run of every boss in the game. Before the boss run, and every time you die during the final boss, you are given one chance to hit up the shop, and the heavy bombs are the cheapest weapon in the game. If you fly above the bullet exit path of the final boss and drop a heavy bomb as soon as he fires the 6th bullet, it'll kill it instantly before it has a chance to hit you. It's, to my knowledge, the ONLY way to beat the boss.

Once you know that, though, the entire game is a snap. I can loop it several times without dying.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
For me it was Fire Leo from Viewtiful Joe. I didn't knew how to beat him the "easy" way and always had to brute force him by chipping him with the combo of zoom, slow and mach speed punch, making the battle very long and very annoying, that was until playing in V-Rated difficulty where you have to know what to do. The simple way to explain it is that you must dodge his swipes during his tornado move, if you dodge them correctly 2 or 3 (can't remember) full patterns he gets dizzy and then it's your chance to pummel him. I wrote easy in quotes because learning how to do that in difficulties without the skull markers that warn you where the next attack will be is actually a pain, you must listen to his roars to know if the next swipe is gonna be high or low and the difference in pitch is very, very subtle and you must react fast since your V-meter drains very fast so you must press it for a fraction of a second each time you dodge.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
For several years I actually fought Evrae Altana in Final Fantasy X. With the party limited to only the three characters who can swim, and with clever use of Trigger Commands, it was often a pretty tricky fight.

Then I read/heard somewhere that, since the boss was undead, it could be killed simply by throwing two Phoenix Downs or X-Potions at it.

I really didn't think the game would let you do that, lol. But it works!

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Now that I'm jogging my memory with some online resources, Zelda does this A LOT. Kalle Demos in Wind Waker (the big plant) can be insta killed by dumping forest water on it.

Edit: Oh SHIT and of course, waiting a week for The End to die out in MGS3 😂

Or just shooting him while he's still in his wheel chair in the earlier scenes. The End is easily my favorite boss to find cheesy ways to kill In just about any game.

Dec 6, 2018
So not a boss, but I literally found out this past week since I've been replaying Sonic Adventure 2 that I have been beating the last part of Sonic's Crazy Gadget the wrong way.

It's a longer level that ends with a gravity shifting platforming puzzle in space, with all these colored blocks that you have to go between to reach the goal ring. The way you are supposed to do it is follow the gravity shifts and do a couple jumps along the intended path, but some of those jumps seemed like dead ends to me for a long time. The way that I've been doing this level, and I have replayed SA2 a lot, is by using the tiny fences that are only on some of the edges of the shapes. Its a lot of trial and error to get the path, especially since you can't just get to the end but also have to activate a missile to break open the cage blocking the goal, but you can totally use an alternate path like this. Ironically I was trying to avoid having to make jumps, but if I remember right you actually have to use the homing attack to get from one part of a fence to another. This level scarred me for life

Oct 28, 2017
At least these old games let you beat the boss the "wrong" way. In Rise of the Tomb Raider I was stunlocking the boss with the climbing picks but wouldn't die, only if you did stealth takedowns on him.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I've... always ran like a madman after the boss too. Damn.

I thought this was gonna be about Draygon though:

pQuXDr.gif

I always feel like I'm cheating when I do it :s
I remember being amazed by this when I saw a speedrun of SM. It's amazing how many secrets moves and strategies are hidden in this gem of a game.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the draygon trick isnt more common knowledge. Tbf I beat Super Metroid on my uncle's SNES and I watched him beat it this way when it first came out.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
You can kill Ballos by jumping into either of his eyes socket in his final stage and filling it up with your fast missiles.

But most people who know about Ballos probably knew of this too.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
An even easier way to beat him OP is to just stand at the corner, wait for him to approach, and just as he is about to make the turn, your sword will reach and hit him in the back. Rinse and repeat.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Fire Leo from Viewtiful Joe. I didn't knew how to beat him the "easy" way and always had to brute force him by chipping him with the combo of zoom, slow and mach speed punch, making the battle very long and very annoying, that was until playing in V-Rated difficulty where you have to know what to do. The simple way to explain it is that you must dodge his swipes during his tornado move, if you dodge them correctly 2 or 3 (can't remember) full patterns he gets dizzy and then it's your chance to pummel him. I wrote easy in quotes because learning how to do that in difficulties without the skull markers that warn you where the next attack will be is actually a pain, you must listen to his roars to know if the next swipe is gonna be high or low and the difference in pitch is very, very subtle and you must react fast since your V-meter drains very fast so you must press it for a fraction of a second each time you dodge.

I never got past Fire Leo. Now I REALLY want that remaster.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Change the title of the thread to some click bait title

"You've been fighting this boss wrong for years!"(/s)

I'm learning so many things I've done wrong lol.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
aaSmxhM.jpg

I first played Link's awakening when I was around 12 or 13. This mini boss was always the most annoying to fight. My strategy was to use the boots, run and chase it till I reach his back and land a hit. It always annoyed me how long and cumbersome that fight is since running with the boots is really imprecise. Over the years I have replayed the game multiple times and used the same technique. Tonight I was playing the remake on switch and reached that mini boss the SECOND time in the previous to last dungeon. I accidentally used the feather to jump and landed behind it ...

To my defense, I never use guides to play Zelda. The fun for me is to solve the riddles on my own

Wait YOU CAN JUMP OVER IT? I've been using the boots as well!

Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah, easiest boss fight in the game when you know what you can do

Let him take you and use the grapple on the destroyed turrets. The grapple beam conducts electricity and kills the boss super quickly but it also damages Samus, so don't do it if you're really low on health.

(Super Metroid is insane)

Huh.....wow

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Wait YOU CAN JUMP OVER IT? I've been using the boots as well!

I also somewhat discovered you should jump over it with the remake.
However this is not how I did it on GameBoy, neither using the boots.

I was embushing him at a corner, charging my sword. I bet people could still use bombs too.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even want to know how long it took me as a kid to roll under Ganon's legs in Ocarina of Time instead of mindlessly running around him hoping I can get one stab in.

It took me longer than I would like to admit to realize I needed to use the Master Sword on him and not the Biggoron's Sword.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
That octo from Link's Awakening you can just hit him from the side with arrows as he turns the corner. It's how I beat the remake in both playthroughs last September.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I never fight Ceaseless Discharge in Dark Souls the legit way anymore. Down the hole he goes.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah, easiest boss fight in the game when you know what you can do

Let him take you and use the grapple on the destroyed turrets. The grapple beam conducts electricity and kills the boss super quickly but it also damages Samus, so don't do it if you're really low on health.

(Super Metroid is insane)

I figured out I could do this when i played through it earlier this fall, but I wasn't able to execute it and eventually just did it the "normal" way. Which was hard as hell.