• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This game was remastered for the PS4 and Switch, so rather easy to get into. It's also on PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita. The music is something I've been familar with just through osmosis. It's pretty great.

But before I get into it. It's it pretty grindy? One of my beefs with older JRPGs can be their grindiness. It's more an issue with NES and SNES/SFC, but some PS1 stuff can be grindy as well.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Grandia HD isn't on PS4, only PC and Switch. And is basically the PS1 version with an unremovable filter. It's a serviceable version.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
I can't speak to the quality of the recent ports, but from a nuts and bolts perspective Grandia captures the spirit and scale of youth on a grand (npi) adventure unlike any other game I've ever played and I'm an RPG fanatic.
The only game that's ever come close for me was Skies of Arcadia.

The battle system was also fun and innovative too and I'm not really into combat in RPGs all that much.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's one of the best of the PS1/Saturn era honestly. A sense of adventure that's almost unmatched. There really isn't much needed for grinding but you might find yourself wanting to because the battles are very fun.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I spent too much time grinding and the battle system moves fast. I played and finished it on the Switch

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just started it a few days ago (my limited Run copy finally showed up) and for the first hour or so I was unsure (it just starts a little slow), but now I'm 5ish in and absolutely in love with it.

i played Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast when it came out and had always wanted to give the original a go, so it feels extra cool.

The combat/skill system is as fun and engaging as it was there. I feel it really holds up.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Loved what I've played so far, but I only just finished the area where you meet the old soldier guy near the mine.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Would say it's one of those quintessential 90s JRPGS. It really harkens back to simpler times. It's such a heartwarming coming of age game about adventure and love. Without becoming overly cliche, it's really, really good.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Grandia 1&2 aren't bad on Switch, a few hiccups but def worth it. Two of the best jrpgs around.

note: also on sale right now for $20 for both, that's a steal imo

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But before I get into it. It's it pretty grindy? One of my beefs with older JRPGs can be their grindiness. It's more an issue with NES and SNES/SFC, but some PS1 stuff can be grindy as well.
I haven't played the Grandia remaster but if you want an old school JRPG with most of the grind removed, play Phantasy Star 1 on Switch with the extra XP setting that was added. It's great.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Both Grandias trend on the easy side, so you will usually look for unnecessary excuses to grind just to play more of the battle system.

Grandia II is so easy that the first time I played the game, I made it like halfway in before I realized I hadn't spent any of my skill points.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Grandia 1 is fantastic though I hear the remaster isn't so hot (haven't played it)

Also the theme is one of the best:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have these on my shortlist of Switch games to play. I had the import Saturn game back in the day, but didn't get far due to the language barrier (I only had a couple years of Japanese taken in college to help). It was really impressive though. Always liked the way it looked over the PS1 ver.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have these on my shortlist of Switch games to play. I had the import Saturn game back in the day, but didn't get far due to the language barrier (I only had a couple years of Japanese taken in college to help). It was really impressive though. Always liked the way it looked over the PS1 ver.
There's a diference? Intresting. I always figured it was a straight port.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Grandia for the first time during the first lockdown, Switch version. It's a really great game that holds up wonderfully. And nice to have something so relentlessly upbeat in times like this.

There's a diference? Intresting. I always figured it was a straight port.
The PS1 version removes a lot of effects and runs significantly worse, with really low-res battle backgrounds. Never heard the end of it during the 32-bit console wars from people carrying the flag for the Saturn lol.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'd pick Vita given the options. The Switch remaster is....ok....but the aggressive Vaseline smoothing filter sorta ruins it.

Grinding can be a thing especially as skills/magic level up on use so I find myself grinding them out. Not sure if you HAVE to grind though.

I really like the game though. One of the few that actually feels like going on a grand adventure. In the company of the Lunar games :)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's a great game, the filter on switch/pc looks like booty but an amazing game is an amazing game.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Grandia 1 and 2 are two of the easiest RPGs ever made. It's only the magic system in the first that is grindy. The game is still incredibly easy, but to learn better spells you have to use the same weak ones over and over again.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 version removes a lot of effects and runs significantly worse, with really low-res battle backgrounds. Never heard the end of it during the 32-bit console wars from people carrying the flag for the Saturn lol.
Yeah, there were similar "wars" when it came to Thunder Force V as well.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Grandia still stands as a rare bread of RPG that instilled and inspired a core sense of wonder and adventure to your journey. There is a reason why it is called a classic, and that isn't nostalgia talking. It is absolutely worth a play.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just got both on Switch today. Played them both day 1 on release and can't wait to do it again. Grandia 1 is still a GOAT, and 2 is only slightly less so. The filter effects suck but I can easily get over it. It's a steal for both at $20.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
It's pure adventure! If you like jrpg's from the early days ...you will enjoy it.

It has a lot of charm and the sense of adventure is amazing. As said above, the only thing coming close is skies of arcadia. Not even grandia 2 comes close to 1.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Both Grandia 1 and 2 are 100% worth playing.

Grandia is quite possibly my favourite 5th gen RPG, surpassing even Squaresoft's various Playstation classics. The recent HD re-release is unfortunately based off the inferior Playstation port, rather than the Saturn original (which I understand had high resolution textures and battle backgrounds) - but this doesn't diminish the quality of the underlying game itself. Grandia is probably most famous for it's battle system, which is similar to FFIV-IX's ATB - but with the ability to "knock back" enemy actions. Grandia also has a phenomenal soundtrack. I last played the game in early 2017 (via PS3 PSN) and never needed to grind.

Grandia 2 is also a fantastic RPG, but ranks slightly lower than it's predecessor. It's soundtrack is still amazing, in particular its various battle themes. I've only played the HD remaster on GoG, but I don't recall any grinding whatsoever.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
This game was remastered for the PS4 and Switch, so rather easy to get into. It's also on PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita. The music is something I've been familar with just through osmosis. It's pretty great.

grandia games don t nécessite too much grind and farming.
Also it s the best combat system ever

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
Grandia is a mix of adventure and slice-of-life anime. It's a really nice feel-good game. PlayStation version is good on its own, though Saturn version has better effects. The latter version got an English fan translation too, so you can pick whichever version.

Only played a few hours of Grandia II so I can't comment.
If you play that version via Steam, please go the "Beta" tab in the options menu and switch it from "HD Remaster" version to "Anniversary" version.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I echo the sentiments, Grandia 1 is an amazing game and I would recommend every JRPG fan to play it atleast once.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Can't speak for the ports but the originals are pretty fun, goofy voice acting aside. The battles systems for 1 and 2 are great, and I don't remember them being grindy at all.

Apr 24, 2018
Grandia 1 is a classic. Grandia 2 while a little overrated imo (weak story and unmemorable characters), is still a good game with an excellent battle system. The original gave me a sense of adventure that very few games could match and had far more memorable characters than its sequel. Really offhand, Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy 9 are the only two other titles that immediately come to mind in a similar vein.

I lent a friend a my copy of Grandia 2 for PS2 which he lost. At the time obviously I was a bit disappointed/annoyed. Now, I don't care at all. Conversely, if I somehow lost my PS1 copy of the original Grandia, I'd be sad about it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I started with Grandia 2 because I was told it was mechanically better than Grandia 1, but personally, I found it fairly insufferable. Generic anime jRPG tropefest that might as well have been written with a Mad Libs.

It really feels like a Saturday morning cartoon. If that's your jam, that's cool, but it felt like it was made for kids.