• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
My child was born in february this year.

I was anxious at the idea that I might not be able to take care of him, but I am. I was nervous that I might not love him, but I do. I feared that I would miss the time before he was here, but I don't. I'm as happy as a father can be.

However, there's something I didn't expect, and that's the fear that something might happen to him. It terrifies me - to be honest, I knew it was normal for parents to fear that something might happen to their kids, but now that I'm feeling it... it's something else entierly. I don't think about it 24/7, but when I do, it's hard to ignore, and it certainly takes a toll on my mood.

The other thing is about the media I've been consuming up to this point. I think these tastes are common for people around here but I've watched many movies, played many games, read many stories where death was, like, everywhere. Post-apocalyptic universes, zombies, horror, dystopias, you name it, and now I realize I can't enjoy that the way I did anymore. I still do, because these are my tastes and I won't change them like that, but it's... different. Right now I'm playing the evil within 2, a story about (putting it under spoilers but that's the very beginning of the game) a dude who thought his little girl died years ago, and learns that she isn't actually dead but in deep trouble and needs to be rescued, and how could I say that... there's this heaviness that is here, and that wasn't here before. It's distracting, even, to think the child is lost in a world with zombies, killers and banshees, and you're just stopping in a safe room, talking about the coffee you're drinking to restore your health.

But it's not just that, it's all the things I've seen during all these years that are kind of catching up, and each time make me think "but what if that happened to my boy", and it's not traumatizing, but often upsetting. The worst might be *that* scene from Crossed (not detailing it, but those who know the comic probably know the one - it involves salt). I even see much lighter stories, like finding Nemo, under a new light. (also works with some chapters of history I've read, like the rape of Nanking. Jesus christ.)

So parents of ERA, do you feel the same ? How do you cope with that fear, and did it change the way you percieve media like it did for me ?

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
It never really goes away, OP. You just deal with it and it gets easier. It kind of subsided after a while. There's always some kind of fear. Fear of them being kidnapped when playing outside, choking, bullied, etc.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's normal to feel some level of anxiety for your children, but you should seek professional help if it is negatively affecting your life. There will (and should) always be some baseline level of anxiety that becomes background noise. You'll have that the rest of your life. That's normal.

That anxiety is protective. It is (mostly) good. Don't ignore it or push it aside. Understand it as a layer of protection, and trust your judgment when it comes to keeping your child out of harm's way.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's normal. the worrying never really goes away. but its best to just move on. do what you can control (dont send them to school during the coronavirus pandemic for example) and the rest you just have to live with. Pedos, bullies, accidents, illnesses, you cant protect your kids forever.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So parents of ERA, do you feel the same ? How do you cope with that fear, and did it change the way you percieve media like it did for me ?

My son is 17 (today) and that fear never really goes away. Sure, you learn to handle it and it becomes sort of a background noise. And I think that is natural.

And, sure, there's media that affects me (as a father) in a different way compared to how I viewed it before.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The fear is really strong during the first year. I remember that during that period, if I read or saw a news piece about something terrible happening to a child, I would instantly start to tear up and get really emotional.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I was anxious at the idea that I might not be able to take care of him, but I am. I was nervous that I might not love him, but I do. I feared that I would miss the time before he was here, but I don't. I'm as happy as a father can be.

Me, me and me 4 years ago, when my little boy was born.

However, there's something I didn't expect, and that's the fear that something might happen to him. It terrifies me - to be honest, I knew it was normal for parents to fear that something might happen to their kids, but now that I'm feeling it... it's something else entierly. I don't think about it 24/7, but when I do, it's hard to ignore, and it certainly takes a toll on my mood.

Also me for most of the first year. In fact, I got a little paranoid before that and had awful nightmares where my pregnant wife would slip and fall while taking a shower.

Same as you, it wasn't paralyzing or anything, just very tense. Thankfully, it got a lot better after the first year. I guess I just needed some time to deal with it. Of course, you will be forever worried about your kid, but it should get a lot easier to manage with time.

And yes, there are things I just can't watch anymore. Not as broadly as you, only movies where bad things happen to kids. Also, I live in Brazil and a few months after my kid was born, the whole zika issue came to pass and newspapers began posting awful pictures of kids suffering from microcephaly. Man, I can't even look at that, I feel so sorry for those kids and their parents... I can't even imagine how it must feel for them :(

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Before I was a parent, I was fearless. I felt invincible. I wasn't scared of heights or crime or anything. I took risks because I felt like I could take on the world.

As a parent, I've experienced fear I never knew possible. "What if"s that are endless. What if I don't raise her right? What if I feed her wrong? What if something dangerous happens and it's all my fault? The world is no longer harmless; it's full of very real and very terrifying threats.

But... that's parental instinct. It's NORMAL. It's even healthy. That's your instinct to do what you can to take care of your kid. To watch after them, protect them, and guide them until they can stand on their own.

It it helps, I remember my wife crying and crying early on after my baby was born. We put her in the car seat and the baby just falls asleep. My wife starts screaming "she's dying! The car is too hot! She can't breath! She's BLEEDING!" I don't even get out of the parking lot and I check on the baby. She's fine. She's just sleeping. I have to calm her down and show her that she's okay; everything's okay. Our baby is okay. A few weeks later, we try to trim her nails and nick her finger; she starts bleeding and my wife is inconsolable. It's scary seeing blood on our child. As much as I act like I'm okay, I have these same fears. I have the same worries. I don't have the answers - I just act like I do.

I've accepted the fear into my life, but I also don't let it control us. We do what's best for our child, we make mistakes, we learn from them. We do our very best, and that's all any parent can do.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't stop but you get more used to it, with crazy flare ups. First you'll be petrified over SIDS, flu and other stuff. After that you'll be afraid of stairs, traffic etc.

We took my son to CHOP last week to get a tumor looked at. Benign osteochondroma thank God, but it was pure terror for about two weeks after we noticed it. I lost quite a bit of sleep. Sometimes I don't think it was worth having a kid.

Oct 27, 2017
It just becomes part of the background noise of having kids.

For me it was worse when my kids were babies - they obviously can't communicate a problem so trying to guess if they're ok can be stressful. I remember when they started sleeping through the night around 3 months old ish and I'd be waking up and listening to the silence and all these thoughts of cot death would be running through my head, even though the rational part of me knew they were just asleep and I'd have to force myself not to get up and check on them. Sometimes I couldn't help it, I'd have to go and check and then I'd feel foolish.

The trick of course is not to let a fear of something happening to them consume you to the point it warps into over protectiveness which stunts their independence and makes them fearful of the world around them. You have to let them make mistakes, or do stuff that may result in an injury (within reason obviously) if they mess up. Letting go is hard.

And fucking hell, it goes so fast. It's a sobering thought that potentially I have less time with my son than I've already had. He's 10 now and if he leaves home at 18 for university for example we've already had the majority of our time. That makes me sad.

Cherish them when they're young and dependant and don't let a fear of what may befall them taint those early years.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah I used to check my son like every 30 minutes at night just to make sure he was still breathing. It gets better as they grow and you see them become more confident in themselves.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
A few weeks later, we try to trim her nails and nick her finger; she starts bleeding and my wife is inconsolable.

Same thing happened to my wife. She's a lot better now, thankfully.

Oh, I also remember the day we left the hospital. Man, we were SO scared of going home and being responsible for the safety of that little guy. I could barely hold him in my arms, I was very afraid of letting him fall. Baths were a nightmare!

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You sound like my mom. Whenever I get sick and this true despite me being 27 years old, she wouldn't sleep at night lol. So I stopped telling her I am sick when I am sick lol.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing is about the media I've been consuming up to this point. I think these tastes are common for people around here but I've watched many movies, played many games, read many stories where death was, like, everywhere. Post-apocalyptic universes, zombies, horror, dystopias, you name it, and now I realize I can't enjoy that the way I did anymore. I still do, because these are my tastes and I won't change them like that, but it's... different. Right now I'm playing the evil within 2, a story about (putting it under spoilers but that's the very beginning of the game) a dude who thought his little girl died years ago, and learns that she isn't actually dead but in deep trouble and needs to be rescued, and how could I say that... there's this heaviness that is here, and that wasn't here before. It's distracting, even, to think the child is lost in a world with zombies, killers and banshees, and you're just stopping in a safe room, talking about the coffee you're drinking to restore your health.
Yeah, this is definitely a thing I want expecting before I became a parent. Before I was a parent, I was stoic to a fault; even Toy Story 3 and Up couldn't make me cry.

As a dad now, though? A couple years back, I found myself almost bursting into tears at This American Life, when they were talking about a little girl who died in a car accident. And again, even when fucking Spider-Man came back in Endgame. It's wild.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You get used to it.

My son is three months old and he was in intensive care for the first week of his life due to respiratory issues (not Covid-19 related) and that week was absolute hell, however he's fully recovered and there's no issues going forward.

However I do occasionally get the fear, mainly when we're going to bed, he sleeps right next to us in a next to me crib and my wife wakes up every time he makes a noise but yeah I get the fear that he'll die in his sleep - at that point I just lay there listening to every single snuffle or movement until I pass out. Interestingly enough this doesn't happen every night.

It'll become background noise but it'll always be there in some way, it's part of being a parent.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It it helps, I remember my wife crying and crying early on after my baby was born. We put her in the car seat and the baby just falls asleep. My wife starts screaming "she's dying! The car is too hot! She can't breath! She's BLEEDING!" I don't even get out of the parking lot and I check on the baby. She's fine. She's just sleeping. I have to calm her down and show her that she's okay; everything's okay. Our baby is okay. A few weeks later, we try to trim her nails and nick her finger; she starts bleeding and my wife is inconsolable. It's scary seeing blood on our child. As much as I act like I'm okay, I have these same fears. I have the same worries. I don't have the answers - I just act like I do.
lol this reminds me of one of the first nights with my first born. for some reason, he was crying for like an hour, and we took his temperature which was around 95. i remember the doc telling us to call them when it went over 102 or went down to 95 so i did. they told us to keep him warm. i spent the next 6 hours up checking on him every few minutes, taking this temperature which remained at 95 the entire night. took him to the doctor first thing in the morning. they stuck a thermometer up his ass and i shit you not 98.6. the nurse looked at me like i was crazy and told me to always check temperature that way.

for my second son, i never bothered to even take his temperature. kids are insanely resilient creatures. they heal faster than wolverine. even from some really bloody bruises.

i still worry about them running out on the road because one of my childhood friends died after getting hit by truck just playing outside his house but as they grow older i have learned to trust them.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
You don't and it doesn't get much better with a 2nd child either.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Just dropped the oldest off at college for his final year. The fear is still there.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm the same as you, OP. When my ex-wife was pregnant I was worried about her having a miscarriage. I was worried about him having some deformity. I was worried about him getting SIDS. Every step of the way, always worried.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Worrying doesn't go away, it shifts into "what if he can't do well at school, what if he has trouble making friends"

Don't let fear of the things you can't control control you, just focus on making your child happy, and providing the things your child needs.
Just remember you are doing GREAT, and those smiles make it all worth it!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Children aren't at any substantial more risk than they were when we were growing up. Try to remember being a child. Be attentive and aware of warning signs, but just remember you (hopefully) made it through alright, and just be aware any pitfalls you had (for example, we absolutely won't leave our kids alone with older extended family members).

You have to kind of fake it to make it, kids are smarter than you think and they'll pick up on if you are constantly worrying about everything and it'll make them incredibly nervous too.

If you're still super concerned to the point it's effecting how you raise your kids, you may want to seek professional opinions. Being reassured by doctors teens to help a lot, and in extreme cases you may need some therapy to help ease your anxieties so they aren't passed down.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad I'm not alone, because sometimes I feel like I'm going utterly crazy with worry and paranoia about my two boys (one a teen and the other still in single digits) I worry all the time they are not with me - not constant, but on and off - always thinking about the worst that could happen; having some kind of accident mostly, but also worries of illness and coming into contact with a bad person. It's not a healthy way to live and I'm not sure how I can change my mindset. It's not just them, but my wife too, with a constant niggle of background worry when we are not together.

I think part of it stems from a time my parents broke down in the car, before mobiles, and could not contact me to let me know why they were not home. They finally were able to call, but by that time I was a wreck, convinced they were both dead... this indecent certainly changed me, but it does seem to be a family trait as well, with my sisters being much the same.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I deal with it when my dad gave me some wise words...

It's good to worry about your kids.... If you stop worrying you stopped caring about them...

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
That's the reason the "won't somebody think of the children?!" rhetoric can be so impactful, because it's natural to worry for your children.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
It never really goes away, as others have already said. My son just turned 4.

The nagging feeling deep in your head, about what happens if say, I'm at work and he chokes eating and his mom can't get it out.
What happens if he falls out of his bed and bumps his head?
What if he trips going down our stairs and breaks his arm? He has already fallen down the stairs before.
Other things you cant even really control...what if something awful just happens and he passes away in his sleep?

Even typing these up it gives me slight anxiety. But, it's just always there. And it's actually a good sign that you're a good parent who cares about your child more than anything else in the world.

It does get easier when kids get older and they can do things for themselves more. Dont forget also that kids are pretty damn resilient, and basically made of rubber.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It never goes away unfortunately but its probably for the best. You learn to manage it and try to teach them how to be careful.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Welcome to the rest of your life! Honestly it doesn't go away, it gets a little easier as time goes by but then something happens that'll bring it all rushing back.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It never really goes away, OP. You just deal with it and it gets easier. It kind of subsided after a while. There's always some kind of fear. Fear of them being kidnapped when playing outside, choking, bullied, etc.

This. My daughter is 5. It never goes away. And it shouldn't. It's our jobs as parents to always be on deck and be willing to keep your kid safe.

Oct 26, 2017
Worrying doesn't go away, it shifts into "what if he can't do well at school, what if he has trouble making friends"

Don't let fear of the things you can't control control you, just focus on making your child happy, and providing the things your child needs.
Just remember you are doing GREAT, and those smiles make it all worth it!
Yep. For me, it was always school and friends-related. "I hope he makes good friends." "I hope he isn't bullied." So on and so forth. That is the kind of stuff I constantly worried about.

My wife had a real struggle with stranger danger. Every person outside our home was a potential kidnapper/murdered. I grew up in a small town of 900, so I was the complete opposite.

OP
OP
G.O.O.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all your replies, I'm reading all of them and it feels good to know I'm not alone.

Full disclosure, I'm making this thread a few days after a light incident. All of July, I've been keeping my son while his mother went back to work. He usually wakes up around 7-8 for his breakfast (which I'm giving), the mom takes him in the living room to be with him while she prepares for work and I go back to sleep, then when she leaves she brings him back to the bedroom so he can take his nap next to me. Only one day, I woke up to him crying in panic because a pillow fell on his face.

He probably wouldn't have choked because he's able to move by himself, but that's a "probably". Now we'll be careful about that.

It's normal to feel some level of anxiety for your children, but you should seek professional help if it is negatively affecting your life.
As a matter of fact, I'm already seeing a psychiatrist (not because of the child, I've been doing that for years now)

The fear is really strong during the first year. I remember that during that period, if I read or saw a news piece about something terrible happening to a child, I would instantly start to tear up and get really emotional.
I expect the first year to be the hardest. Right now what scares me the most is how helpless he is. If something happened to me at our place, I keep thinking that he'd be crying for hours with no one to check on him.

And yes, there are things I just can't watch anymore. Not as broadly as you, only movies where bad things happen to kids. Also, I live in Brazil and a few months after my kid was born, the whole zika issue came to pass and newspapers began posting awful pictures of kids suffering from microcephaly. Man, I can't even look at that, I feel so sorry for those kids and their parents... I can't even imagine how it must feel for them :(
The fact that we're in a complicated moment matters aswell. I've been scared for myself, too, because I have a chronic disease that makes me at risk if I get the coronavirus (+ slightly overweight). Thought of things like "what if I die and he grows up not knowing me".

Hah, I also injured him while trimming his nails ! I knew he'd be OK, but it's awful to know you've hurt that poor little thing...

We took my son to CHOP last week to get a tumor looked at. Benign osteochondroma thank God, but it was pure terror for about two weeks after we noticed it. I lost quite a bit of sleep. Sometimes I don't think it was worth having a kid.
Christ, that first sentence sure gave me anxiety.

For me it was worse when my kids were babies - they obviously can't communicate a problem so trying to guess if they're ok can be stressful. I remember when they started sleeping through the night around 3 months old ish and I'd be waking up and listening to the silence and all these thoughts of cot death would be running through my head, even though the rational part of me knew they were just asleep and I'd have to force myself not to get up and check on them. Sometimes I couldn't help it, I'd have to go and check and then I'd feel foolish.
I also check his breath quite often. I know he's probably OK, but, you know, just in case...

This is why those who have played TLOU don't understand the ending and why parents do.
Yeah I understand it now.

... I still don't like the game tho

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Our son had 2 major epileptic seizures when he was around three years old. The first one landed him in ICU. both Seizures happened at night. He has not had any major seizures for 9 years but whenever I wake up in the morning and it's past six (he always wakes me before that time), my first thought is that he's dead.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
The fear never goes away. It just changes to new things. Although I have to say the fear does kind of subside into the background, still there, but not always consciously there if that makes sense

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm here too. My game tastes changed a good bit afterwards - you dig into comfort food kind of games a lot more, and things you can play on the go (and stop on the go) become really valuable. Or it did for me, anyway.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Every year some aspects get better while others get worse. My little one is going to school next year and I sometimes find myself worried if she can use the toilet or eat her food fast enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If you aren't a little scared, then I might have questions, honestly it's normal to have a little anxiety about your children, it is a big deal to have someone be 100% dependant on you, it's a big burden, but we carry it willingly.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had more fear losing them in the womb. I honestly take life one day at a time and try to be as present as possible. I guess that fear will kick in to overdrive once they are out driving and hanging out in highschool.

I have shut off local news consumption for years since the whole point is to scare people. As cold as it sounds, what's the point of me learning on a nightly basis that some stranger got victimized by blah blah blah in xyz manner? Kima's words from The Wire resonate- "Here you are giving a fuck when it's not your turn to... smh".

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the first night my son slept through the night. I kept waking up checking on him, thinking he had died.

The worry is natural and never goes away. It's the people not afraid of something happening to their kids that you should be worried about.

Mar 27, 2019
Agreed with the rest of this thread that anxiety is totally normal and mostly decreases over time, but I find that this anxiety is best when harnested. I use it a constant reminder not to check my phone when I'm outside with the little man. You learn to have your head on a swivel especially near streets and other dangers. It lets you know that you are alive and a creature of action ready to spring when something doesn't quite seem right.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the first night my son slept through the night. I kept waking up checking on him, thinking he had died.

I think this is very common, especially with the way everyone absolutely hammers the whole SIDS thing into parents these days. My wife literally stayed up looking at the monitor all night the first night both of our kids were on their own in the crib for the first time.

Jul 16, 2020
I still occasionally check to see if my 5 year old is still breathing in the night, if I'm having an anxious time. But it's a lot better than when he was a baby.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It NEVER goes away. I'm bringing my 19yo back to college next week and I'm fucking terrified about it. It's a hard pain. Most of the time it's ok but there are always times of bone crushing fear.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The fear went away for the most part, until my kid started doing stuff by themselves. Wait till they move out...

Oct 28, 2017
The more kids I raise the less fear I have. Now that i have 2 grown kids and 4 young ones the fear has balance.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
My child was born in february this year.

But it's not just that, it's all the things I've seen during all these years that are kind of catching up, and each time make me think "but what if that happened to my boy", and it's not traumatizing, but often upsetting. The worst might be *that* scene from Crossed (not detailing it, but those who know the comic probably know the one - it involves salt). I even see much lighter stories, like finding Nemo, under a new light. (also works with some chapters of history I've read, like the rape of Nanking. Jesus christ.)

I've a 16 month old son and it's sometimes overwhelming for me to think about the responsibility I've know for my son and my wife and it's nearly crushing. But then I just go on with my life and most of my fears just vanish over time.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It will never go away. Even as an adult, you'll probably always be afraid of something happening to them.