• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you started to be more like your parents?

• I hope not

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • Nothing wrong with that; now get off my lawn

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • Unequivocally No

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I don't like to admit it, but probably yes

Votes: 40 19.2%
  • In some aspects more than in others

Votes: 96 46.2%
  • Back in the day, this was considered normal

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon

Votes: 22 10.6%

• Total voters

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm more like both of my parents than I like to admit, but now that I'm married and on the verge of starting my own family I think I understand them a lot more than I did previously. I hope I'll be able to avoid the mistakes they made in their lives, but I also now recognize it's not as easy as I thought when I was younger.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does 'cat's in the cradle... little boy blue' refer to the superstition of cat's sucking baby's breaths away? That sentence, though beautiful, always confused me in the context of the song.

RIP.

My dad died at 62. I needed more time.

Honestly, i have no clue - i've read Little Boy's Blue and The Man on the Moon are children's stories, so the reference is that the father never read them to the child, but there's other interpretations (The man on the moon, being a song of 1971, is also referencing the passing of time)

My dad is 62 too - he had an ictus last week and i'm currently caring for him. Hardly ever been that scared as when i took him to the ER

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does 'cat's in the cradle... little boy blue' refer to the superstition of cat's sucking baby's breaths away? That sentence, though beautiful, always confused me in the context of the song.
No, those are just references to english language nursery rhymes. Would you like me to type all of them out?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No need, that makes perfect sense - thanks!
Good because it turns out I can't remember them lol. Little Boy Blue specifically fell asleep on the job and let the family's farm animals into the crop fields instead of scaring them away and now the whole family will starve this winter, or something.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I am male but I think I've become a lot like my mother. I am okay with that though. We've always been close.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Mod coopted my topic and added their own poll.

That's a new one on me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed that I've started, out of nowhere, using old military idioms and aphorisms that my dad used to use all the time in casual conversation.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be like my parents a lot more in high school but as I grow older I end up less and less like them. sometimes i feel like i'm living in reverse

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
DaGsIs8VwAAGHM1

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
one of my main goal in life is to not be like my father

I was definitely on track to become him from 18 - 21. Sorted myself out after a bit of an emotional breackdown.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
In some ways I am. My parents are very analytical, entrepreneurs, witty, and life of the party types.

I'm not the life of the party type but have most of their other traits. Got my technical side from my step father.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell I seem to be a mix of my dad's propensity for solitary tinkering, my mom's overall quiet demeanor, and my grandma's pragmatism.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I've seemed to inherit from my parents are mental and health issues. Other than that, we're all very different people.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Legit trying to think of how I'm like my father in any respect and am drawing a total blank.

As for my mother, I take after her only in the respect that I inherited the family mental illness and emotional fragility. Otherwise, we could not be more different.

Edit: just occurred to me, I'm a shameless scamp and so was my dad, so I almost certainly inherited that from him.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Happened to me, but i used FaceApp.

I could never see the strong resemblance, but FaceApp knows its shit.
Other than that I can distinctly see what characters i inherited from both, and what my daughter got from me.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I know I've started doing some things likes my parents as I've gotten older, but my dad (66) recently started reading his Facebook feed out loud to people. I hope I never do that.