• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of Batman's children would get him the best Father's Day gift?

• Dick Grayson

Votes: 113 51.1%
  • Jason Todd

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Tim Drake

Votes: 53 24.0%
  • Cassandra Cain

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Damian Wayne

Votes: 28 12.7%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
5533bc64798446377ec2e3244419f063.jpg

Obviously Bruce has adopted quite a few kids over the years, plus Damian being his biological son. But I've always wondered, who would get Bruce the best Father's Day gift the most consistently? We've seen what Bruce does for Alfred on Father's Day (give him the peace of mind of knowing Bruce isn't in any danger for the day, as shown in Batman Annual #3 by Tom Taylor), but what of Bruce's own kids?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Damian gets the real Bruce better and would give him something 100% practical while the others would try and give him something cute and thus useless to him.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like Damian gets the real Bruce better and would give him something 100% practical while the others would try and give him something cute and thus useless to him.
I could see Dick or Tim doing the same, with the former having the advantage of being Bruce's first son.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Dick. No one knows him or understands him better except for batman's butler dad, Alfred.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The real answer is Babs. Perfect mix of knowing him enough and having taste for a gift

But from the ones that you mentioned, Dick.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder of what Batman thinks you should get for someone difficult to shop for:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Dick, since he's the only one who was raised by Bruce from a very young age, and he was Bruce's first "son."

Although Tim would probably try to one-up him and come up with something amazing.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Lets be honest, that time Red Tornado gave him a Worlds Greatest Detective mug is probably the best gift he's ever gotten
B11.png

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
1) A person can have 2 fathers
2) she knows he is surrounded by people who sucks at picking gifts like a normal person
3) gordon thinks he deserves something since he is always so mopey that he encourages her
I mean none of this is wrong but Babs and Batman relationship is usually student and teacher(let's ignore the romantic stuff) rather than parent and child. I think she'd give him the best birthday present instead

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Gotta be Dick, since he's the only one who was raised by Bruce from a very young age, and he was Bruce's first "son."

Although Tim would probably try to one-up him and come up with something amazing.
Realistically, it'd be down to those two. Dick was raised by Bruce for longer, but Tim's one smart cookie.

Lets be honest, that time Red Tornado gave him a Worlds Greatest Detective mug is probably the best gift he's ever gotten
B11.png
Awwwwww, I need to rewatch Brave & the Bold.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best thread ever.

I think Bruce would love pretty much anything they get him. Within reason of course. Bruce doesn't have favorites, so all the gifts are the best. Please add an "All of the above" category.
  • Dick probably gives really good practical and sweet gifts when he wants to, but sometimes goes for something silly to poke fun at his dad.
  • Jason pretty much treats the gift giving as trolling. The gift themselves make Bruce roll his eyes and sigh, but he wouldn't trade them for anything considering that the best gift for him is having a healthy relationship with Jason.
  • Tim overthinks it and tries really hard to give Bruce something he'll like and use. He does a good job most of the time, but for Bruce it's really the effort and thought put into it that makes him love the gifts.
  • Cass is definitely the sleeper hit. I can see her more likely to give Bruce an experience than an object, and have the best sense of exactly what kind of gift he needs at the time.
  • Damian goes fully practical, always. But he does try to add personal touches.
  • Barbara is probably the most consistent giver because she has a lot of the same insight as Dick but can control the urge to make fun of Bruce a little more. Or will give him both a joke gift and a real gift.
  • Steph joins Jason in the trolling, but is also the most likely to give something artistic and handmade, which Bruce loves.
Why would Babs get Batman a Father's Day gift?
Sometimes people give the other fathers in their lives Father's Day gifts, even if they aren't their own fathers. And while Jim will always be her dad, I do think she thinks of Bruce in fatherly terms as well as a teacher and mentor.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
- Damian is the only one who still actively really craves Bruce's approval. He would try the hardest. His will somehow be the cutest.
- Dick's would be effortlessly thoughtful.
- Jason would not even try. In his thoughtlessness, he would probably hit the mark the closest.
- Tim, like Damian, tries too hard. Unlikely Damian, he misses the mark.
- Barbara would also be effortlessly thoughtful.
- Steph would seem effortlessly thoughtful, but she would have put a ton of effort into it.
- Cass would miss the mark entirely, but endearingly hit it by how hard she tried.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
At this point, should I just include Barbara Gordon & Stephanie Brown in the poll?

I think Bruce would love pretty much anything they get him. Within reason of course. Bruce doesn't have favorites, so all the gifts are the best. Please add an "All of the above" category.
  • Dick probably gives really good practical and sweet gifts when he wants to, but sometimes goes for something silly to poke fun at his dad.
  • Jason pretty much treats the gift giving as trolling. The gift themselves make Bruce roll his eyes and sigh, but he wouldn't trade them for anything considering that the best gift for him is having a healthy relationship with Jason.
  • Tim overthinks it and tries really hard to give Bruce something he'll like and use. He does a good job most of the time, but for Bruce it's really the effort and thought put into it that makes him love the gifts.
  • Cass is definitely the sleeper hit. I can see her more likely to give Bruce an experience than an object, and have the best sense of exactly what kind of gift he needs at the time.
  • Barbara is probably the most consistent giver because she has a lot of the same insight as Dick but can control the urge to make fun of Bruce a little more. Or will give him both a joke gift and a real gift.
  • Steph joins Jason in the trolling, but is also the most likely to give something artistic and handmade, which Bruce loves.

Sometimes people give the other fathers in their lives Father's Day gifts, even if they aren't their own fathers. And while Jim will always be her dad, I do think she thinks of Bruce in fatherly terms as well as a teacher and mentor.
I'm glad we agree on Cassandra being the sleeper hit, but you raise a good point on the kind of gift she would get for her dad. I could see Cassandra doing a whole day at Six Flags for the entire family (even Alfred, who's basically their grandpa anyway).

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Relevant Tim panels.

WL6pPVj.png

No need for quotation marks! Dick is definitely the eldest son.

- Tim, like Damian, tries too hard. Unlikely Damian, he misses the mark.
Damn, not a Tim fan I take it? :P

I'm glad we agree on Cassandra being the sleeper hit, but you raise a good point on the kind of gift she would get for her dad. I could see Cassandra doing a whole day at Six Flags for the entire family (even Alfred, who's basically their grandpa anyway).
I'm glad you included her in the poll! So many people forget about her, even if they see the boys as Bruce's children. And I agree, I think that would definitely be something she would get the family to do. I can see Bruce not really wanting to ride anything and just wanting to go for quite, normal walk around the park with Cass and Alfred. Of course the other kids (and Selina) would try to get him to ride something. And Alfred is so there for all the pictures.

Alfred, as best grandfather ever, definitely also gets really great Father's Day presents!

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I only put quotation because we're comparing all of these people, and Dick and Damian are the only ones that are actually his sons.
How much did New 52/Rebirth change? Before, Tim and Jason were both legally adopted ,and he's called them his sons multiple times. Cassandra was also legally adopted.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Relevant Tim panels.

WL6pPVj.png

No need for quotation marks! Dick is definitely the eldest son.

Damn, not a Tim fan I take it? :P

I'm glad you included her in the poll! So many people forget about her, even if they see the boys as Bruce's children. And I agree, I think that would definitely be something she would get the family to do. I can see Bruce not really wanting to ride anything and just wanting to go for quite, normal walk around the park with Cass and Alfred. Of course the other kids (and Selina) would try to get him to ride something. And Alfred is so there for all the pictures.

Alfred, as best grandfather ever, definitely also gets really great Father's Day presents!

I actually love Tim. I love all of the Bruce's kids. Jason is my favorite, but only because that trauma runs the deepest.

Like Logan, I feel Bruce's relationships with Alfred, his kids and adoptees are what make him genuinely interesting.

Any story where the author is not actively cultivating one of these relationships is usually a pass for me.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets not do the "Bat Children" thing here, thats welcoming a weird crowd none of You want.

But yeah, it's Dick, dude knows what makes Bruce tick.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Lets not do the "Bat Children" thing here, thats welcoming a weird crowd none of You want.
???

I actually love Tim. I love all of the Bruce's kids. Jason is my favorite, but only because that trauma runs the deepest.

Like Logan, I feel Bruce's relationships with Alfred, his kids and adoptees are what make him genuinely interesting.

Any story where the author is not actively cultivating one of these relationships is usually a pass for me.
Haha, gotcha. I 100% agree with the last sentence!

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me: I really miss Batman Eternal.

The story was not the strongest, but all of Bruce's kids were in the story watching all their dynamics play out against each other was soooo good.

I really want this out of the new game, but I know this is not going to happen.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If we're counting Terry, there's Helena is also a biological daugher somewhere in the nebulous future. Or soon, depending on what Tom King does. :/
Yeah, there's also Helena who (like Terry) is in the far-off unspecified future. But of the ones in the present time period, yeah, Damian's the only biological kid. Everyone else is adopted.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't know that. Fair enough!
They've really leaned away from it ever since Damian was introduced, unfortunately. And especially after New 52, so it's really easy to miss.

Wait, isn't Helena from Earth 2--and dead--in this continuity? Are we getting a new Helena Wayne?
She's been shown in other continuities like Tom King's Batman Annual #1 (I think?) , and Selina is pregnant in a solicitation. I don't think the actual issue has come out yet. I don't keep up with comics like I used to so other people probably know better what's going on with that.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
It's Tim. He understands and thinks like Bruce more than the others by a stretch.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
They've really leaned away from it ever since Damian was introduced, unfortunately. And especially after New 52, so it's really easy to miss.

She's been shown in other continuities like Tom King's Batman Annual #1 (I think?) , and Selina is pregnant in a solicitation. I don't think the actual issue has come out yet. I don't keep up with comics like I used to so other people probably know better what's going on with that.

Nice! I pray to god we see that dope ass Robin suit come back:

2221431-robin_e2_final_100.jpg

Still the best Robin suit thus far.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Isn't Tim the best investigator out of the Robins? Would make sense for him to catch on more stuff that would make a better gift.

That being said I have absolutely no idea how long Tim has known Bruce for, and how close they actually get. This might be me not having a child, but discussions with my mom sometimes lead me to believe that parents tend to feel some sort of "special" bond with their oldest that they don't necessarily have with the others. The few I know of Batman and from some comics I've actually read, and information I've seen over the years, I do think he shares a very special relationship with Dick. And that Dick and Damian were really close too (especially during Dick's Batman run I think?).

I know it's Injustice but, his reaction to
Dick's death is really telling to me as far as their relationship goes, especially with this panel. Granted maybe he would react the exact same for his other sons, but hey I don't know.
a0b4eedfe9b4a66e867978fc4a1945f8.jpg

So maybe Dick could get him a better gift just because their relationship seem a lot more close because they've known each other for longer, and have gone through a whole lot together.

I'm no Batman expert though, just enjoy the universe!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Cass can read body language; she'd probably hit the mark in her gift giving because she can see how he reacts to things in ways others can't and is curious enough to pester Tim enough to piece together what to get him.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
5533bc64798446377ec2e3244419f063.jpg

Obviously Bruce has adopted quite a few kids over the years, plus Damian being his biological son. But I've always wondered, who would get Bruce the best Father's Day gift the most consistently? We've seen what Bruce does for Alfred on Father's Day (give him the peace of mind of knowing Bruce isn't in any danger for the day, as shown in Batman Annual #3 by Tom Taylor), but what of Bruce's own kids?

Bruce looks WAAAAAAY too young in this picture. He literally looks the same age as his sons.

But to answer the question. And going pre New 52 and pre Cassandra Caine's stupid heel turn.

Dick - A gift that is both practical and also has sentimental value. Like the first batarang Bruce gave him.

Jason - He'll try to kill one of the Rogue's Gallery and say "I was doing it for you dad!" when Batman stops him.

Tim - Will solve a crime that Bruce has spent years on and then walk him through the methodology.

Cass - Something non material. She would probably do something like read aloud the first article the newspapers printed about Batman to both show her growth because of him and show the inspiration he's created.