• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every time I hear the centrists I know talk about the Lincoln Project they characterize them as radical lefties akin to Bernie and AOC

That's kind of hilarious because the LP are actually traditional establishment Republicans, getting money *from* traditional establishment Republicans, to fight Trumper Republicans.

letthemfight.gif

I don't know a single liberal or leftist that has sent a dollar to the LP. We're all sending money to Dems.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
1*RXC19-8_14Q2eG4HlPqaeg.jpeg

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Like or dislike them but they aren't moving over to Republicans anytime soon

When the IG report comes out and we know the full details about who is responsible for the inhumanity and evil of caging children and separating them ( permanently) from their parents we are going to plaster their names, images and stories on those electronic billboards. 1/

We will run media campaigns in their hometowns where their families will be shamed by their ignominy. We will include any new employers and target their clients. I've spent most of the last decade counseling CEO clients in crisis situations for some of the biggest companies 2/

In the world. They have low pain tolerance. The PR firms, ad agencies, Trade associations, Tech companies, Media companies and TV networks are going to have to think long and hard about the reputational damage they are willing to sustain by hiring the liars, crooks, 3

racial arsonists, quacks and implementers of immoral policies into their ranks. The season of shame, reckoning and accountability will soon begin for Trump and his rancid collaborators. Excising the worst of them from public life will be joyful work."

thebulwark.com

A Message to Democrats from Your New Ally - The Bulwark

I’ve spent a lot of my life—far too much in retrospect—waging war on the Democratic party. It was my job and I was good at it but in all those battles, even in the toughest of races, I never hated the other side. I wanted to win each race with the heat of a thousand […]

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No one is relying on them at all and that is not the point here.

Seriously. We know full well their policy goals and agenda, but at the moment they and us agree "we gotta get Trump the fuck out of here" regardless of what we want to happen, for anything good to happen we need that goal achieved.

Don't know why that is so hard for people to grasp or get their heads around. Turns out there are people in this country and world who despite disagreeing on many things, agree with you on some things and you can pursue those things together. That's it. You can team up withsomeone to say "lets make sure Trump doesn't get elected"

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This isn't game of thrones here. The Lincoln Project only works right now because they're going after Trump and telling the truth about what's going on. Trump is just that easy of a target.

If the eventual turn does come they will lose all their sway because they will need to rely on the tried and true conservative methods of misrepresentation and denying reality and I don't see that being quite as effective. They'll just be another conservative voice like all the others we put up with.

Hi, Since you two need someone to actually repond to...

They've already done ads against democrats in the past. Do you think democratic leadership is going to forget that? That was their job, to get republicans elected. This is not news to anyone that follows any of this somewhat seriously. Political ads are theatre, they will always be.

There is no fantasy of conservatives with a conscience.... The LP is there to get republicans to either sit out or write someone else in(because thats so brave), as many republicans have gone on record saying as much. In an electoral college, That is a hopeful win for non-fascism.

The LP has done nothing new besides be totally honest about their own party, so Biden doesn't even have to make ads. Republicans that other republicans actually respect, are dropping ads with millions of views, putting up billboards.. The content is easy because its just literally quotes at this point and direct video. And we are talking about IN CONTEXT videos, not just smashing words together.

Biden has already said hes going to try his best to work with Republicans. Its not like the LP is going to sway democrats with any of the GOP platform that is against human rights generally. So, I don't really see when they switch over to regular scheduled programming, how its going to have any more of an effect besides more people unsubscribing to their social media campaigns.

The Republican party has values that are against sense, LGBTQ+, poc, womens rights, everything. There is hardly any cool editing that will make me want to remove rights from my daughter. Nor will the LP stand out from FOX news who will also be making the same baseless content.

Again, the reason they're useful right now is that they're just telling in context truths. No funny editing. Once that goes away and its just fart jokes and democrats with a sad face, i doubt the platform will still continue to grow.

Like I said, whatever you have to tell yourselves to make it okay to lionize this evil and disgusting group. I know all too well liberals want to reform conservatives to chase the conservatives with a conscience fantasy. Maybe that isn't you, personally, but it's painfully naive to think it can't lead to that. When some liberals wax poetically about the Bush years despite much of what was done under his administration lead to where we are now, it's obvious a large enough group pines for it and are gullible enough to believe it time and time again.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to support the Lincoln Project (they are all fucking evil), but not taking advantage of the sabotaging they are committing on the right is bad strategy. Let them fight and all.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to support the Lincoln Project (they are all fucking evil), but not taking advantage of the sabotaging they are committing on the right is bad strategy. Let them fight and all.
Basically this; I'm not going to donate to their project but I have I'm not going to jump in front of them for attacking Trump and other Republicans.

Jul 18, 2018
Let them fight, it benefits us all.
However just do not donate any money to them, which unfortunately a lot of people have done without knowing the background of the group.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate the Lincoln Project, and you're right in that they're snakes (and ultimately still conservative ones at that), but consider that Republicans/conservatives not only hate them by orders of magnitude more, but don't even understand who they actually are. Every time I hear the centrists I know talk about the Lincoln Project they characterize them as radical lefties akin to Bernie and AOC, and it most likely boils down to their rhetoric and social media presence (with the older Dems still perceived as too "stuffy" for this sort of thing). And I don't see why we can't capitalize on that misjudgement.

Seriously. We know full well their policy goals and agenda, but at the moment they and us agree "we gotta get Trump the fuck out of here" regardless of what we want to happen, for anything good to happen we need that goal achieved.

Don't know why that is so hard for people to grasp or get their heads around. Turns out there are people in this country and world who despite disagreeing on many things, agree with you on some things and you can pursue those things together. That's it. You can team up withsomeone to say "lets make sure Trump doesn't get elected"

it seems like a big fucking set up to me.

Its really ridiculously easy to dunk on anything trump touches, all you have to do is hold up a mirror to them.

but you got these people putting on a good show right now, then stabbing you in the back the first chance they get.

You say that you can easily toss them aside when they dont have your interests at heart later, but they've already got their claws in you now and they're barely even trying.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
They're suing because they're trying to salvage whatever image they have left when their daddy is kicked out of the White House. Turns out the best play would have been to NOT BE A FUCKING ADVISOR FOR YOUR DADDY SINCE DAY ONE. The entire family is full of dumbasses.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
TLP is more forward looking than most Democrats. Trump is finite (he loses, or he dies because he's old and obese) but he's got a whole clan of useless offspring that have been laundered through four years of "executive" experience into being legitimate political figures that will be around for decades or longer.

It's not good enough to chop down Trump's tree; his whole orchard has to be razed and salted. In a perfect world goons like Gaetz would be taken down as well.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

Its really ridiculously easy to dunk on anything trump touches, all you have to do is hold up a mirror to them.

but you got these people putting on a good show right now, then stabbing you in the back the first chance they get.

You say that you can easily toss them aside when they dont have your interests at heart later, but they've already got their claws in you now and they're barely even trying.

In what ways do they have their claws in anything? We agree with them on some things. That's not a bad things. Even people you might disagree with on most things, you might agree with on some things.

Yes, their goal is to return the Republican party to the pre Trump era. I don't think its possible, but frankly, that would be a huge improvement. For as awful as the pre Trump Republican party was, the Trump party is far worse. The pre Trump party wasn't pushing open fascism. They weren't pushing open racism. (Yes, they were still startlingly racist, but we've seen over the last 4 years the effect of it being this open, it empowers the very worst of the racists and gives them the confidence to operate in the open where they are doing significant damage). Unless we think we have a strategy to completely wipe Republicans off the board, a return to the pre Trump era of them would be a huge improvement. We can then deal with that.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

A set up for what? What are you afraid happens? Trump is gone and then they... run ads against democrats? Who cares, this happens already.

A Trump 2nd Term is far more dangerous to me than some other democrat not getting elected during the mid terms. Lets get serious here.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I have disdain for TLP but I am glad that all the Trump crazies have to go through them if they wanna have any legitimacy, their proverbial Brain is revolting against them. All their schemes, I'm sure TLP had their hand in their formation years ago so they know exactly how to counter punch.

I guess what I'm saying is, the usual conservative tantrums and pearl clutching aren't gonna faze TLP. So by all means let the scumbags slap fight. Not even TLP has a Men In Black nueralizer big enough to immediately wipe the public's memory.

So even if they do stamp out Trumpers (unlikely) it'll just be one less thing Dems have to actively do (culturally speaking) and that means Dems can focus on rebuilding and by doing so will remind people that yea you should probably fucking vote Dem if you want competency.

Oct 25, 2017
In what ways do they have their claws in anything? We agree with them on some things. That's not a bad things. Even people you might disagree with on most things, you might agree with on some things.

Yes, their goal is to return the Republican party to the pre Trump era. I don't think its possible, but frankly, that would be a huge improvement. For as awful as the pre Trump Republican party was, the Trump party is far worse. The pre Trump party wasn't pushing open fascism. They weren't pushing open racism. (Yes, they were still startlingly racist, but we've seen over the last 4 years the effect of it being this open, it empowers the very worst of the racists and gives them the confidence to operate in the open where they are doing significant damage). Unless we think we have a strategy to completely wipe Republicans off the board, a return to the pre Trump era of them would be a huge improvement. We can then deal with that.
I get the sense it's more like the pre-Obama era. Or more precisely, pre-TEA Party era.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Everyone knows who they are. They are neocons that want influence back. These aren't revelations. That said the Trump cult needs to go. Trump has become a figurehead of Qanon and other extreme right wing groups all over the world and his voice has to go. Whatever it takes.
If you personally think that they're not gonna have any influence after November that's fine but the posts I quoted asking why people were concerned about them and calling people trolls and bedwetters seems kind of insane to me.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The lesson we need to be taking from the Lincoln Project is that dems need to get better at actually attacking their opponents.

Not really. The main reason the LP ads have been so resonant is totally because they're coming from Republicans. If Dems had put out these same ads they'd have gotten pushback for being partisan attacks and the story in the media would be about how the Biden campaign is making horrible attack ads.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Love the ads, but I don't understand why they're in NYC of all places, which is solid ass blue.

Put these up in battleground states you dummies.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you think that? They love the Tea Party politics.

Still find it hilarious that the co founder of the Lincoln Project doesn't even support Lincoln in 2020
Because they nearly indiscriminately reject the current crop of GOP senators and representatives on so much of what they do. Supporting Trump is the bulk of it, but also on stuff like the Amy Coney Barrett thing and coronavirus relief.

I think they're smart, and they know that whatever the fuck GOP has been running with in the 2010s, not just 2016 onward, is not it.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows who they are. They are neocons that want influence back. These aren't revelations. That said the Trump cult needs to go. Trump has become a figurehead of Qanon and other extreme right wing groups all over the world and his voice has to go. Whatever it takes.

Then maybe liberals that are cheering these ads should start donating their millions into contested races instead of to a bunch of racists that wanna line their pockets and put up two expensive billboards in a safe state. It's a grift.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
A set up for what? What are you afraid happens? Trump is gone and then they... run ads against democrats? Who cares, this happens already.

A Trump 2nd Term is far more dangerous to me than some other democrat not getting elected during the mid terms. Lets get serious here.
Exactly. Lincoln Project only stands out because they are republicans going after republicans. If they start acting like all the other conservative think tanks and Super PACs then we'll just add them to the pile we already have. They burn through their goodwill and just get lost in the shuffle with all the others.

People are paying attention to the message that is being put out, not the messenger. Everyone acting like we're gonna have a bunch of Lincoln Project Democrats in a few years need to slow down and take a breath.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Then maybe liberals that are cheering these ads should start donating their millions into contested races instead of to a bunch of racists that wanna line their pockets and put up two expensive billboards in a safe state. It's a grift.

Put it better than me.

Its all a fucking con.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because they nearly indiscriminately reject the current crop of GOP senators and representatives on so much of what they do. Supporting Trump is the bulk of it, but also on stuff like the Amy Coney Barrett thing and coronavirus relief.

I think they're smart, and they know that whatever the fuck GOP has been running with in the 2010s, not just 2016 onward, is not it.
They reject them because Trump blew the racist dogwhistle a bit too loud and they lost perceived legitimacy among diet racists.

And like even if your assertion is true that they reject Tea Party politics (which i highly doubt), not like the age of W and Reagan are much better.

I'm confused at people criticising what they're doing at the moment, which seems great by any measure I can think of.
Because people don't want these racist fucks legitimized. That's all there is to it. For every enlightened Era poster that knows they're scumbags there's 10 moderates who aren't extremely online that think they're great allies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
People are paying attention to the message that is being put out, not the messenger. Everyone acting like we're gonna have a bunch of Lincoln Project Democrats in a few years need to slow down and take a breath.
Rick Wilson and George Conway are regular cable news contributors now.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
What does this prove? That they are not good people? News flash: we all know that. Job #1 is getting Trump out, period. No one trusts TLP. We are not turning the fucking party over to them when the election is over. Grow the fuck up.

Ah, so Liberals are giving millions to TLP with the understanding that they're going to use that money down the line to stab them in the back?

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not from the US, but from what can I see, The Lincoln Project has been much more aggresive and maybe effective with their messaging than the standard democrat PAC. For me it's seems as if democrat messaging is much more soft and is not answering the same way as the GOP.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What does this prove? That they are not good people? News flash: we all know that. Job #1 is getting Trump out, period. No one trusts TLP. We are not turning the fucking party over to them when the election is over. Grow the fuck up.
Who's "we"? The couple thousand people on Era? Because "we" certainly doesn't include the 330 million plus Americans that see Conway and Wilson on TV.