• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Ehhh I wouldn't say that. After going through Rokus, Fire TVs and Chromcasts, my Apple TV is by far the most stable consistent experience of them all.
Best portable option and simplistic is Firestick with CinemaHD with a paid sub. Or TerrariumTV/Titanium also paid sub. Everything together in one damn app, the way it should be. It's legally grey of course. But the way all these streaming apps are going, it's nearly the same price as a basic cable package - sometimes more.

ATV with a jailbreak is also really really good. There's some good power under that hood.

Last edited:

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Curious about the details of this implementation. Samsung does not support Dolby Vision, but most iTunes movies are DV. If you're using an ATV 4K with an HDR10-only tv, the Apple TV does the conversion on the fly. One way or another, Samsung would essentially be adding Dolby Vision support, unless only the native HDR10 movies on iTunes are available in HDR.

Apple will have HDR-10 encodes for anything they serve in Dolby Vision.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Best portable option and simplistic is Firestick with CinemaHD with a paid sub. Or TerrariumTV/Titanium also paid sub. Everything together in one damn app, the way it should be. It's legally grey of course. But the way all these streaming apps are going, it's nearly the same price as a basic cable package - sometimes more.

Lol. It is not legally grey in the slightest. It's piracy.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's fucking godly! It's like Chromecast on steroids. Not only does it cast instantly and without any issue (for me so far), but you can instantly stream your entire screen and not just the video as well. There's no easier way to push content from your phone to your TV. I love it

This is also my experience using cast/Miracast on my fairly old LG G5 to my Vizio TV. This Samsung announcement is kind of depressing how far behind Apple is on this stuff, to be blunt about it

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
More good news from 9to5Mac and the updated AirPlay page

Following the Samsung Smart TV announcement earlier today, Apple has updated its AirPlay page to give a bit more detail on the newly-unveiled AirPlay 2 integration with television sets. Apple says AirPlay 2 will be available on TVs by leading manufacturers, suggesting more manufacturers beyond Samsung will be announcing their support.

The Apple page notes all the new AirPlay 2 videos features are 'coming soon', whereas Samsung gave a more fine-grained time window of the 'spring'.

Most significantly, the reference to other manufacturers means the deal is not exclusive to Samsung Smart TVs.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This is also my experience using cast/Miracast on my fairly old LG G5 to my Vizio TV. This Samsung announcement is kind of depressing how far behind Apple is on this stuff, to be blunt about it
Apple has had AirPlay for a while. They aren't behind just because other companies didn't want to incorporate it into their hardware. I've used Miracast to try and cast Android phones before, it's never been very good. But maybe it's the equipment I was using

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I love this, I have a Samsung TV and iTunes always has good sales on 4k movies but I'm not overpaying for an apple tv

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I don't think my Q7 is gonna make the cut.

[edit] Hmm maybe it will? I bought it very early in 2018 so I not convinced all Q7's are 2018 models.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. It is not legally grey in the slightest. It's piracy.
Look up the stats; shit pricing always leads to runaway piracy. There's an easy solution: Don't Be Greedy. Trust me, it's not the "pirates" causing this situation.

Edit* people need easy access, choice — we almost had it, now we're pretty much back to square one at nearly the same cost. It's infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
Like it or not, Apple is finally pushing to become not just a product company, but a services company as well. Might be too late though.

Woah! The HomeKit stuff I didn't know about. Absolutely love the automation stuff.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I have a new tv and....it's alright. Not very responsive but not terrible. The UI is kinda weird. You need to jump through more hoops to get to sources (they think you want to always go to apps). I just want to switch between TV, HDMI and Netflix

Its processor dependant to be smooth, on the Q8FN and Q9FN its fast and smooth. I had the same issue with it as you until I figured out you can actually add your sources to the app bar, so they are right there whenever you want them.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Likely a precursor to apples tv streaming service coming too.

RIP Apple TV.
Which Apple TV? the "Apple TV"? That ALWAYS needed to RIP. Apple was never in the business of building display panels... and if they aren't building the display panels, the actual advantages of an "Apple TV" are extremely minimal and nothing that couldn't be accomplished with an STB.

As for the Apple TV (the current STB).. it will be fine. The same way Chromecast and Fire Stick will continue to be fine. And while I appreciate them really trying to make it a real development platform... I am almost thinking they just need to move to a stick. Sort of stuck here.. no one is ever going to use it for high powered apps... I will say that performance on streaming apps is WAY better than other sticks.. so maybe keep it an STB? Or just move it to a stick when the ATV4K innards can be moved to a stick with no issue (forget which SOC is in the 4K)

Nov 8, 2017
Last Samsung TV I bought (KS8000) had broken HDMI-CEC and ARC, and Samsung Support blaming all my other devices (which were clearly not at fault). Ended up returning it and getting an LG instead.

Apps are nice to have, but I'd rather have a TV that works.

Oct 26, 2017
Curious about the details of this implementation. Samsung does not support Dolby Vision, but most iTunes movies are DV. If you're using an ATV 4K with an HDR10-only tv, the Apple TV does the conversion on the fly. One way or another, Samsung would essentially be adding Dolby Vision support, unless only the native HDR10 movies on iTunes are available in HDR.

So with Apple TV 4K, it doesn't matter whether the TV only supports one HDR standard?

If so, this calms some of my fears regarding buying a 4K TV and not being able to get HDR content because the TV only supports DV or HDR10, and not both.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know I'm port begging but I would like AirPlay to come to LG OLEDs. Of course I have a 2017 so my chances are minimal.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Apple will have HDR-10 encodes for anything they serve in Dolby Vision.

Where did you hear that? the verge was asking the same question...

Anyhow, I'd love to see this on android TV as well, still havent bought a 4k appletv, and Ive got a lot of stuff in itunes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple seeking to grow that services segment of their revenue stream. Really the only option available to them, since we are long past the days when annual upgrades enticed enough people.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
So with Apple TV 4K, it doesn't matter whether the TV only supports one HDR standard?

If so, this calms some of my fears regarding buying a 4K TV and not being able to get HDR content because the TV only supports DV or HDR10, and not both.

Correct, it will convert as necessary for your TV. I used one on my X900E (HDR10 only) prior to getting my B7 and the conversion seemed to work well enough.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
AirPlay 2 coming to LG 2019 TVs as well:

TheVerge said:
Following in the steps of Vizio and Samsung, LG is also aligning itself with Apple by supporting AirPlay 2 on its 2019 smart TVs, out of the box. Enabling AirPlay support will allow Mac and iPhone users to easily play music, videos, or mirror your device's screen.

source

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
AirPlay should have been in TVs years ago, but better late than never. Three manufacturers jumping on board within a day is very encouraging.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Where did you hear that? the verge was asking the same question...

Anyhow, I'd love to see this on android TV as well, still havent bought a 4k appletv, and Ive got a lot of stuff in itunes.
yeah he's not right.. I have a TV that supports both so I'm not 100% sure how it works... I know that originally when I had an HDR TV it would play Dolby movies in HDR, but people were saying the implementation wasn't right (because originally it was also playing SDR movies in HDR).. So since they introduced Match Format... I "think" if your TV is HDR10, and you play a DV movie, it will convert it to HDR10... but it is NOT a separate encode, that's for sure. I'm just not 100% that it converts it, or if you have matching turned on if it sends it through as SDR (I am guessing it converts it)

If Roku OS supports it (hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha) I may never buy another Apple TV box. (Have a TCL 55")

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i just bought a samsung smart tv last year + I have quite a few movies purchased on itunes so yay for me.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
IS AirPlay 2 useful without the iTunes app?

I have a bunch of 4K DV content in iTunes, but it seems like only Samsung is offering the ability to play those without a separate ATV device.
It's great for YouTube and mirroring your phone. For example, I mirrored Donut County from my phone while I played to let my wife watch. Really neat.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I have a bunch of 4K DV content in iTunes, but it seems like only Samsung is offering the ability to play those without a separate ATV device.
AirPlay will let you screen share from a Mac, and screen share almost anything with iOS (some apps are restricted). It also lets individual apps send media to an AirPlay device without sharing your whole screen.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting development.

Especially using Samsung, which is a direct competitor.

I wonder if we'll ever see iTunes on Galaxy phones?

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So LG is getting this too but so far only announced for their 2019 models. I'm going to be kind of pissed if they don't update at least some older models to be compatible.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
As for the Apple TV (the current STB).. it will be fine. The same way Chromecast and Fire Stick will continue to be fine. And while I appreciate them really trying to make it a real development platform... I am almost thinking they just need to move to a stick. Sort of stuck here.. no one is ever going to use it for high powered apps... I will say that performance on streaming apps is WAY better than other sticks.. so maybe keep it an STB? Or just move it to a stick when the ATV4K innards can be moved to a stick with no issue (forget which SOC is in the 4K)
The interesting thing is, in a few years, when Apple has migrated its Macs to ARM, Apple is going to be in a position where the only thing that differentiates a Mac Mini and an AppleTV is the OS. The convergence of the development platforms is also going to make the distinction even smaller. We could see a new split between a streaming only stick in this scenario (which would still be immensely powerful), and something equivalent to an HTPC. Or more realistically, Apple might also choose to just use the stick as a wireless display adapter.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

AirPlay is a handy, reliable way for you to stream video/audio/photos/etc. from an iPhone, iPad or Mac to an Apple TV and now Smart TV. I use it often to continue watching a video on the TV which I started on my phone or macbook. You can also mirror your whole screen to the TV which is useful in a number of ways (e.g. gaming).

As for the iTunes app, my hope is that the Samsung thing is some kind of timed exclusivity deal. Apple will probably start their streaming service this year and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to limit potential app customers just to Samsung TVs. And if older Samsung TVs can get the app via an update, there's certainly hope that it will show up on older LG OLEDs etc. Doesn't sound like it requires any kind of special hardware if 2018 Samsung TVs can get it via a firmware update. At least that's what I'm hoping.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It needs to be full support the way it works with mirroring on windows. Continuing videos, mirroring and extending already works with everyone's laptop without the need for a device.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big deal. If they make deals with Sony and LG it's MASSIVE. If it's exclusive it's meh.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's great for YouTube and mirroring your phone. For example, I mirrored Donut County from my phone while I played to let my wife watch. Really neat.
AirPlay will let you screen share from a Mac, and screen share almost anything with iOS (some apps are restricted). It also lets individual apps send media to an AirPlay device without sharing your whole screen.
AirPlay is a handy, reliable way for you to stream video/audio/photos/etc. from an iPhone, iPad or Mac to an Apple TV and now Smart TV. I use it often to continue watching a video on the TV which I started on my phone or macbook. You can also mirror your whole screen to the TV which is useful in a number of ways (e.g. gaming).

As for the iTunes app, my hope is that the Samsung thing is some kind of timed exclusivity deal. Apple will probably start their streaming service this year and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to limit potential app customers just to Samsung TVs. And if older Samsung TVs can get the app via an update, there's certainly hope that it will show up on older LG OLEDs etc. Doesn't sound like it requires any kind of special hardware if 2018 Samsung TVs can get it via a firmware update. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Ah, I use a bit of AirPlay streaming for iTunes movies today with an Apple TV 3 and a 1080P TV. I'm not concerned with taking advantage of the best settings, but I'm upgrading to a 2019 LG OLED and I want all htat Dolby Vision goodness.

Barring a 'timed exclusive' deal, it sounds like I'll still need to get an Apple TV 4K

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I use a bit of AirPlay streaming for iTunes movies today with an Apple TV 3 and a 1080P TV. I'm not concerned with taking advantage of the best settings, but I'm upgrading to a 2019 LG OLED and I want all htat Dolby Vision goodness.

Barring a 'timed exclusive' deal, it sounds like I'll still need to get an Apple TV 4K
maybe, maybe not. Apple will redirect over AirPlay 2 as available (so if the Apple TV can play the video directly from the internet without the phone it will). In theory there's no reason iOS couldn't send over the HDR meta data as well.

Would not be shocked for AirPlay 3 to have Dolby Vision support.