• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Go on, keep fixing shit that ain't broke.

On the bright side, the 2.0 beta is less of a shitfire than the non-legacy styles were, but I'm mad I won't be able to keep legacy darkera. It's simple and functional and doesn't have a bunch of superfluous crap I need to learn

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purple that 2.0 uses is quite a bit more muted and has seen updates and changes as the team has been building and taking feedback on the new site design. We will continue to monitor that feedback after launch.

You can access the beta site right now (though keep in mind you do need to login to see the themes) or read through our announcement thread that details the changes and reasoning for this upgrade.
Its definitely better, but having the option to just make the forums primarily black/white. The purple "unread thread" is the most egregious part.

It doesn't seem like a whole lot of adjustments would be needed to make an alternate light skin that hews closer to LegacyEra's color scheme as the Light skin there is already pretty close.

edit: Usernames should also be black.

Last edited:

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
ep3qvpd.gif

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Part of me will definitely miss DarkERA Legacy but the 2.0 dark theme is definitely an improvement over NightEra and the update as a whole comes with enough new functionality that I'm looking forward to it (especially saved drafts and threadmarks).

I do find it a bit unsettling that admins aren't really responding to people's concerns over removing Legacy support.

Sorry, but It feels a bit like a ''You'll get what you're given, and that's that.'' situation.

Keeping the legacy themes is not possible while switching the forum as a whole to run on XenForo 2.

This is something that every XF forum has been going through and will continue to go through as they make the upgrade.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Legacy can work with the new version easily, actually.

I dunno man, it's not simply something that admins are saying it's happening, it's also something that you can see happening in other Xenforo forums upgrading to 2.0., so I kinda doubt that it's as easy as you say.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are we seriously getting forced into the new look instead? If so honestly I'd rather wait until we have legacy back or something that resembles it. The 'main' design is just hideous. The colors are an eyesore and it has a damn sidebar.

It's honestly one of the worst site designs I've encountered on mobile and we're getting forced to use it.... Great. I get that Xenforo might make it hard to keep both. But at least make the main build not retina burning first.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of us are prominent enough to make any real impact I guess.

The new layout blows, and emojis are fucking cancer.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Just realised I can't switch over between Video Games and EtcetEra one-handed on mobile since everything is at the very top of the screen. I'm not anticipating tomorrow.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Yep, I will miss this style a lot.

What is still mind boggling to me is that they really went with the new brighter violet instead of the original iconic color. No matter how many thousand people criticized that, they like "nope, can't hear ya".

This:

xA03swZ.jpg

Will never ever look as good and clean as this:

yj6utFL.jpg
The one on the top looks ugly as hell.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope admins know what kind of Pandora's Box are they opening with emojis/emoticons.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I logged into the beta and the new design is uh ... can I disable the sidebar somehow or?

On the left I mean.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I dunno man, it's not simply something that admins are saying it's happening, it's also something that you can see happening in other Xenforo forums upgrading to 2.0., so I kinda doubt that it's as easy as you say.

Yeah, pretty much.

https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/install-upgrade/#upgrading-from-xenforo-1

XenForo 1 styles are not compatible with XenForo 2. The upgrade will not maintain any style property or template modifications. These will need to be redone after upgrading.

Are we seriously getting forced into the new look instead? If so honestly I'd rather wait until we have legacy back or something that resembles it. The 'main' design is just hideous. The colors are an eyesore and it has a damn sidebar.

It's honestly one of the worst site designs I've encountered on mobile and we're getting forced to use it.... Great. I get that Xenforo might make it hard to keep both. But at least make the main build not retina burning first.

The 2.0 themes are not identical to the Day/Night themes that were rolled out a few months ago, and the new dark theme has a more muted purple.

Wow, I logged into the beta and the new design is uh ... can I disable the sidebar somehow or?

Click on the hamburger menu icon next to the site logo in the upper left corner.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 2.0 themes are not identical to the Day/Night themes that were rolled out a few months ago, and the new dark theme has a more muted purple.

Well that a bit of a relief. Honestly I just hope I can deactivate the sidebar too. Those things are a huge pain in the ass on mobile.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather not.
Really sucks that most navigation actions require more clicks with the new UI.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Beta looks genuinely hideous compared to Legacy. I do hope at least some of the admins realize that.

Enjoy your emojis and blinding color schemes, I guess.

Gross.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'll post again for new page: isn't it a design choice if 2.0 supports css stylesheet editing?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you all complaining now? I've been saying how I hate the new design in the design thread since the change was announced and wanted to have a simple layout. That's where all of you should have been too. Now it's too late.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
What kind of eyes do y'all have if you think that purple is "blinding"

Like, it's just a shade lighter. I got used to it in 5 minutes and I'm browsing in the dark

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope something like bootleg Dark Legacy can be implemented sooner or later, It's really perfect.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the new style it is impossible to One Press jump from videogames to etcetera and vice versa, you have to go through a pull-down menu. WHY make it so hard?

I know you can do it if you have the sidebar enabled but NO ONE is going to have the sidebar enabled.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Why are you all complaining now? I've been saying how I hate the new design in the design thread since the change was announced and wanted to have a simple layout. That's where all of you should have been too. Now it's too late.
"Too late"?

What? Is the site going to self-destruct if they don't add poop emojis and drastically change the site's appearance for the worse?

I seem to remember the last major change to ERA didn't go over well either, but--shock of shocks-- they were able to change it back in less than a day.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
In the new style it is impossible to One Press jump from videogames to etcetera and vice versa, you have to go through a pull-down menu. WHY make it so hard?

I know you can do it if you have the sidebar enabled but NO ONE is going to have the sidebar enabled.
I'm out of the loop what's wrong with sidebars

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm mostly happy the maintenance is happening during the NFL games so I don't have to do anything

Venture

Oct 25, 2017

That's my only real complaint. The default style has separate buttons for each forum, it's only the Resetera styles that don't. Should be easy enough to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.