• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing back the best and most posted-in thread from last year!

It's winter solstice, everyone! Definitely my favorite solstice, as it introduces my favorite season: winter!

In honor of the glorious snow that is given to us by the eternal Snow Gods, let's discuss our favorite winter levels in video games, and post pictures of them!

My pick for this year: Spider-Man Miles Morales!

ZnC3g81.jpg

ptiftylqe2ykqvqagqdw.jpg

EiGhrGGWsAcVRut.jpg

Miles Morales lets players explore New York City on Christmas break. There's snow everywhere, and some Christmas decorations here and there too! It looks very good on a PS5. I just wish I had a 4K HDR tv to really see it in all its glory. One day!

Now post away, my fellow winter lovers.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't have a good level specifically, but remember Lost Planet being a really neat snow environment overall. I liked the way you plodded through the snow, it felt thick and heavy and somehow seemed to factor into the gameplay.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
As a kid the Donkey Kong Snow level blew my mind and it's the first thing that pops into my mind when i think about winter levels in gaming.
It starts with a clear winter day then gradually starts to snow, then by the end of the level there's a snow storm.

snow-barrel-blast.jpg

DbZ8Ytb-jhm3L4UucGE6kAw3MA7ZG_TzkBvZ-6cObw7Jh2FGQN_KB2VSuN4HNg76eKrRivk8wySFv3r8ve0Z8epUVFKQBSjLxi_aNRrvlf9jIM_RtbTWKfrfkfaOqSSD6U2icN2g

CleverSelfreliantKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

Dark-Souls-iii-Live-Wallpaper-700x394.jpg

The level gives off an enchanted, wintery atmosphere with a hint of mystery. I felt cold while going through this on a summer night.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
The Snowy Mountain level from Jak & Daxter (PS2) made a big impression on me, and is still the first that comes to mind. You get to the mountain in full daylight, and it seems like fairly standard winter fare at first when the snow is white and everything's bright. But as the accelerated day/night cycle proceeds, things really start to shine. There's a pretty twilight sky as day turns into night. The world takes on a cold blue hue, contrasted by the warm glow from torches and other fires around the level. Caves and a guarded fort now appear cosy and inviting, providing shelter from the cold of the outside.

03E0B7o.png

Nov 17, 2017
Snowpeak Ruins from Twilight Princess. It's one of the best Zelda dungeons, not only because of the clever and well designed puzzles but the setting. Zelda dungeons tend to be just that - dungeons or temples. Snowpeak takes a domestic setting, this abandoned mansion, and turns it into a "dungeon." It feels like a place in the world instead of just an elemental themed level.

Even the premise of the dungeon is atypical for Zelda. Whoever once owned this mansion is long gone, it's now inhabited by a married couple of yetis called Yeto and Yeta. You come to the mansion to find a piece of the Twilight Mirror and right from the start, Yeta tells you its in the master bedroom but she has a cold and can't remember where the key is. So you go looking for the key based on where she thinks she left it but each time you find... food. Food that Yeto takes from you to make a soup for his wife. It makes Yeta seem slightly untrustworthy, like there's just something off about her and the situation. Especially when you're attacked by enemies in the locations she sends you.

Snowpeak_Ruins.jpg
qiGdd2xEsqDq2EyqcCDWnqx4PC6PGddwFlEkNfMjUNJQMdq8Jl7z1pk2rUXPwMn3Xe7DKuGXS1mle1l2FpggygtjZIYajF50iyTTB-GKw4e3xxupKlQpCsc7x3ok33aGnPdCuUZ_C_83Ezq7B6U93P2oOGsmWQ
wvw69kdms-kqsdyabw.jpg
d70e94993409bec3249eca7c856221a5fb6342ca_hq.jpg

The dungeon has this very cool mix of vibes. One one end, you have this cozy, winter home, lit by a fireplace vibe. On the other, the silent and cold remnants of a destroyed mansion. It feels haunted and the cozy vibes mixed with that contribute to the feeling that something is off. It all culminates in Yeta finally remembering where the key is but when you get to the bedroom, it's revealed she's been possessed by the darkness of the Twilight Mirror this whole time and she becomes the boss because she doesn't want you to take it. You are forced to fight her and she's really creepy. It all ends in a very cute and wholesome way though. I just love how they weaved a little story into the dungeon. No other Zelda dungeon is quite like this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Phendrana Drifts is magical. One of my favorites. Also Dark Souls's Painted World. Brilliant level and the final boss uses the environment in a neat way.