• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I find myself thinking about the fact that bands like Dashboard Confessional and Simple Plan were comprised almost entirely of men in their mid 20s/early 30s. Their songs were often about things like self harm, depression, and other factors that largely appeal to the sensibilities of teenagers that are going through the normal Teenage Shit™. Their target demographic leave the bands, in retrospect, feeling a lot like:

Meanwhile other bands of the era that were also widely considered edgy and emo were singing songs about hope and cautionary tales against giving into your feelings of anger and the desire to hurt other people. Like damn, leave those poor kids alone you weird old (comparatively speaking) men.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So it's weird that people in their mid-20s were relating to people less than a decade younger than them?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hope and cautionary tales against giving into your feelings of anger
giphy.gif

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising how much toxic masculinity was in those songs as well. They really helped perpetuate the damaging image of the "nice guy".

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do a lot of these gifs have the citytv logo on them? Is Canada putting out high quality gifs for the internet?

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
You think it get better when you hit your late twenties or thirties but things just feel the same.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gerard Way was 29 when The Black Parade came out. It's kinda funny that's the album with Teenagers on it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
all those 27 year old singers were creeping on the 16 year old girls who went to those shows - the "young" thing was by design

It's surprising how much toxic masculinity was in those songs as well. They really helped perpetuate the damaging image of the "nice guy".

Yeah, in retrospect that was terrible.

Thankfully I pivoted into full hardcore bro - MY FRIENDS!! MY FAMILY!!

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Angst, depression, suicidal ideation aren't things that go away just because you get older nor are they things exclusive to teenagers.

Though I'll say a lot of bands really should have handled those topics better but then again telling someone going having those thoughts to be more responsible with messaging is kind of weird so I digress

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Tbh I'm not gonna try to relate to a 16 year old and tell them about how miserable my life was unless I'm also going to try and tell them that it gets better.
The main band of the 2000s was probably Linkin Park and Chester Bennington was 24 when Hybrid Theory came out in 2000. He obviously suffered through depression for his entire life. I see little reason why he couldn't relate to a 16 year old going through something similar.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's kinda difficult to have a touring band and go to high school at the same time. (Not that it can't and hasn't been done.)

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I remember in high school thinking that it was weird that Korn seemed so fixated on their teenage years.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The main band of the 2000s was probably Linkin Park and Chester Bennington was 24 when Hybrid Theory came out in 2000. He obviously suffered through depression for his entire life. I see little reason why he couldn't relate to a 16 year old going through something similar.
I might be phrasing this poorly, so apologies! I think there's a difference between relating to someone and just repeating the harmful thoughts that they may be having. Especially as an adult that's speaking largely to a teenage audience that's at a really vulnerable time in their lives, mentally-speaking.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
This is actually something I've thought about before. I've thought about how much I adored Kid Cudi in my high school years only to realize I was basically listening to a 30+ year old doing a "hello fellow kids" routine. I felt...taken advantage of? Idk. I was in a vulnerable state and was happy to hear music that I could relate to at the time, but I still can't shake the feeling lol

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that the premise for this thread seems to be "Only teenagers get depression and harm themselves." I'm sure that's not what you mean but it's definitely what the OP reads like.

Weirdly enough a lot of My Chemical Romance songs have a tinge of hope or address some heavier topics without going, "and then I killed myself!"
That's because My Chem were just straight up better than most of the other Emo bands of the time. Black Parade is still a hell of a good rock album regardless of the relevance of the Emo craze it released in, you can't say that for most of the others.

Most of their songs weren't really about Teenage issues either, they were often about coping with death be it your own impending one or the ones of those around you. Often the latter in particular is something people don't really need to face until later than their teens.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough a lot of My Chemical Romance songs have a tinge of hope or address some heavier topics without going, "and then I killed myself!"

I think that's why they resonated more with us, because it almost felt like they knew what we were going through but offered us a more positive perspective. Just telling kids that things will get better is a lot more effective in helping them to cope than encouraging self harm or depression.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
A lot of bands have a fixation on teenage years because they think life goes to shit when you become an adult from their experience and that they wasted their younger years.

also looking at the comments about perpetuating nice guy mindsets, while I like a lot of it, recent pop punk songs still carry the same mentality. Trick is finding the people who are at least self aware.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it normal teenage shit minimizes mental health issues. And they were likely singing about things that were important to them and inspired then to create their music.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
20 year olds aren't allowed to be angsty and down? 90's and early 2000's were some trying times. You don't turn 18 and then all of a sudden life makes sense.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's also a lot of weird time dilation that goes on in mainstream music too. You typically record and album (might take a year + to write and record), then it comes out and you tour that album for 2 to 3 years. You could write a song when you're 19-20 and being touring that record until you're 23-24. Certain songs become a staple of your set, and then you're stuck. Maybe you're in it for the money, and you do a rinse and repeat of the first record to make that $$$.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's weird that the premise for this thread seems to be "Only teenagers get depression and harm themselves." I'm sure that's not what you mean but it's definitely what the OP reads like.

That's because My Chem were just straight up better than most of the other Emo bands of the time. Black Parade is still a hell of a good rock album regardless of the relevance of the Emo craze it released in, you can't say that for most of the others.
I definitely don't mean to imply as such, especially since I suffer from crazy depression at 30. But I also wouldn't be targeting a teenage demographic with my lyrics, etc, without trying to at least say that it can get better. For better or worse, when you become famous you do become keenly aware of the primary people who are consuming your work and there should be a level of responsibility attached to that.

(And I love My Chemical Romance for the reason you outlined).

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't really see how this is any different to an adult author writing a children's/YA novel. Like JK Rowling is a middle-aged woman writing about teenage wizards, is that weird? Adults lived through being a teenager too.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
A friend's band toured with one of the big ones a while back. "The weird thing is, on the road, they often bitched about high school. They were in their fuckin 30s. Blew my mind."

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Mineral is still a GOAT Emo band.

Educate yourself, kiddies.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Someone should do a history of these sudden gluts of music hitting the mainstream all at once like this. At the time it came off like some cabal of record execs saw 90's post-hardcore/emo, which had a pretty broad range of lyrical concerns, and hijacked it all at once to figure out how to follow up nu metal.

It sent all the punk-derived emo subgenres into hibernation for over a decade. Just completely poisoned the well of what a bunch of legitimately great bands were doing.

MCR is the only one that people even seem to remember fondly today, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they had more of a positive, pulp literary kind of vibe instead of pure self-pity. A lot of this stuff, like Dashboard Confessional, was downright exploitative of teens imo.

That was a weird moment in rock music. You could argue it was the last big wave in popular rock, actually.

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that how most bands and singers make their music?

They live thru some bad shit and write it down as songs.

Just because they were adults when they made those songs doesn't mean they didn't have rough lives growing up OP.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man I'm 28 and I relate more to emo music now than when I was 16.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Mineral is still a GOAT Emo band.

Educate yourself, kiddies.

wait what this is great how did I never hear of them

Man the ease of finding good music now is just crazy compared to when I was a kid.

on the other hand, it's probably largely responsible for the death of the scene and the irl relationships that came with it. Buuut as said, there was/is a lot of fucked up predatory shit going on so....

Oct 28, 2017
A lot stemmed probably from label pressure. Many people form their musical preferences in their teens and will become lifetime fans of bands they liked when they were 16. So it's cynical, but from a label's perspective it makes sense to market music to them.

We idealize bands as "four best friends from high school doing what they love" or something similar, but for the ones that "made it" it often becomes a job that needs to pay the rent, and they're stuck trying to recreate the albums that made them famous.

If you take Lostprophets, Ian Watkins is of course an extreme example, who preyed exactly on the dark undercurrent of the scene you're talking about.
But from what the other band members have said, they had basically tuned out of the band long before and seem also critical of what you describe.
Quote from Lee Gaze (guitarist): ""From 2006, I was bored with it. I had a love-hate relationship with the band, because Ian was getting very difficult, and we'd been painted into having to write for a certain audience. We were in our mid-30s, and you'd be at a gig and the first few rows were all kids." "

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Yeah, this idea that depression and suicide is something that goes away when you hit twenty is raising all the eyebrows.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, this idea that depression and suicide is something that goes away when you hit twenty is raising all the eyebrows.
I should note that a lot of Linkin Park's songs have to do with escaping abusive relationships and how hard it can be to learn how to love yourself/be your own person. I wouldn't say they necessarily fall under the banner I'm putting up here.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Just because you're a certain age doesn't mean you can't create art/ music that appeals to a younger audience.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break it to you guys but Dashboard Confessional, Simple Plan, MCR etc. aren't Emo bands. They're just Radio Rock bands singing depressing sounding shit.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me thankful I wasn't into rock in the 00s, or much music in general, and the music I WAS into was mainly pop-oriented (though like I said, I wasn't a fan of most of that shit either).