• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This is obviously one of the worst plot twists in fiction but i always felt it had a reason, that was getting every character out of the way to develop only Squall through the ending.

I feel that, Squall and Rinoa aside, all the party members are kind of completely irrelevant to the main plot but they needed to exist because it's a party based rpg haha. Quistis had some relevance at the beginning but she could've been a npc, and the same applies to Irvine in the assassination mission part.

I try to not think much about that tbh, It's a game that i like a lot despite everything.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
There is hints but they aren't in your face.

Here we have Squall feeling something when he hears the name Edea.

EEjLViXUYAAEya3
EEjLVwHUUAEt0RO

Then right after Irvine says all of this to Squall
EEjLV8TUYAAfTbQ
EEjLWJHUEAERx01

EEjLZN-UwAgNp7L

followed by him getting the jitters when the time to kill happens.

Then you have things like Irvine having an affinity for Selphie and hitting on her when they are on the train + Selphie reacting to it and not understanding why she is feeling something for him.

I don't really care much that this thread exists which is why I responded to the OP rather than complaining about it but I do think someone creating a thread over a twist they already knew just to say "WOW THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN I REMEMBER" while ignoring any discussion that goes over their misunderstanding to be pointless and should have just been left to the OT.
I don't remember if they discuss the assassination plan as a group, but it seems like that would be the perfect, reasonable time for him to actively talk the group out of it, or at the very least make a personal appeal to them in some regard.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if they discuss the assassination plan as a group, but it seems like that would be the perfect, reasonable time for him to actively talk the group out of it, or at the very least make a personal appeal to them in some regard.
Why would he when he obviously thinks SeeD aren't allowed to question their mission? Selphie rejected him and the rest didn't care about him which showed they didn't remember. He gets upset on the train after they confront him. They were super young and not together for that long so he just left it. Edea being their Matron is bigger than kids he knew not remembering him.

Also Irvine isn't a member of SeeD so his mindset is different.

I should also add that Edea isn't named until Caraways mansion so I believe everyone only learns who it is at that moment.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would have made more sense if Zell, Selphie, and Irvine hadn't been from the orphanage and were just regular people, or from a different orphanage. You could maybe get away with keeping Quistis there, maybe she left the orphanage awhile before Squall and just kind of forgot, but still wanted to protect him or something when he eventually got to Garden. Seifer would have been fine, just keep him at an arm's length so you dont have to explicitly tell the audience they grew up together.

It would have totally made sense for Squall to have repressed his memories after losing Ellone... yea it would still have been yet another amnesiac protagonist, but at least it wouldnt have been 5/6 of your party with plot-convenient amnesia. The GF explanation was rather weak as well.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would have made more sense if Zell, Selphie, and Irvine hadn't been from the orphanage and were just regular people, or from a different orphanage. You could maybe get away with keeping Quistis there, maybe she left the orphanage awhile before Squall and just kind of forgot, but still wanted to protect him or something when he eventually got to Garden. Seifer would have been fine, just keep him at an arm's length so you dont have to explicitly tell the audience they grew up together.

It would have totally made sense for Squall to have repressed his memories after losing Ellone... yea it would still have been yet another amnesiac protagonist, but at least it wouldnt have been 5/6 of your party with plot-convenient amnesia. The GF explanation was rather weak as well.
It's not plot convenient amnesia. Edea and Cid used the Orphanage to recruit children. Every main party member(except Rinoa) is from a Garden. Ellone was removed before Future Squall arrived because of her powers. Guess which Garden only allows you to become a SeeD? Balamb.

The GF aren't used anywhere but Balamb. Galabadia and Trabia refuse to use them. The risks are ignored because it's all in preparation of fighting the sorceress which only Cid and Edea care about.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII came off a lot better to me when I realized it was a game about how being a chosen prophesized hero and stoic badass mercenary at age 18 does unpleasant things to your mental health.

Of course the characters are dumb; they're toddlers trying to save the world.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Why would he when he obviously thinks SeeD aren't allowed to question their mission? Selphie rejected him and the rest didn't care about him which showed they didn't remember. He gets upset on the train after they confront him. They were super young and not together for that long so he just left it. Edea being their Matron is bigger than kids he knew not remembering him.

Also Irvine isn't a member of SeeD so his mindset is different.

I should also add that Edea isn't named until Caraways mansion so I believe everyone only learns who it is at that moment.
I mean, if my friends were doing something I was uncomfortable with it seems like it would be reasonable to speak up. Alas, I don't really remember enough of the stuff that wouldn't be considered "big picture" to make an actual case here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if my friends were doing something I was uncomfortable with it seems like it would be reasonable to speak up. Alas, I don't really remember enough of the stuff that wouldn't be considered "big picture" to make an actual case here.

Look at it this way.

You're sent off from your loving home to a military academy located in a fascist country. You are trained from childhood to be the very best sharpshooter there can be.

Then one day you run into the family you left behind... and you're completely forgotten. Not only does not a single one remember you, but they don't even act like they care about each other. They're not the people you loved.

So Irvine shuts down and keeps his facade of a romantic gunslinger up because it's all he has to rely on at this point.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Look at it this way.

You're sent off from your loving home to a military academy located in a fascist country. You are trained from childhood to be the very best sharpshooter there can be.

Then one day you run into the family you left behind... and you're completely forgotten. Not only does not a single one remember you, but they don't even act like they care about each other. They're not the people you loved.

So Irvine shuts down and keeps his facade of a romantic gunslinger up because it's all he has to rely on at this point.
Seems like something done to keep a twist under wraps rather than because it makes sense

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Basically Irvine and everyone else only learn who they are assassinating while the mission is being explained by Caraway. Right after Edea is named Irvine asks Squall if SeeD ever question their mission and Squall doesn't respond signaling to Irvine they don't. He finishes by asking if enemies being pure evil would fire them up to fight even more which could indicate he is trying to find a way to change his feelings on assassinating her.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like something done to keep a twist under wraps rather than because it makes sense

You're welcome to that interpretation but given that the entire game is about these schoolchildren bumbling their way through political disasters and attempted assassinations I'm willing to give the game some credit that Irvine's inability to convey his feelings was a piece of intentional storytelling and not something just thrown in like it's so commonly derided as.

Besides Tifa did the same damn thing.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
You're welcome to that interpretation but given that the entire game is about these schoolchildren bumbling their way through political disasters and attempted assassinations I'm willing to give the game some credit that Irvine's inability to convey his feelings was a piece of intentional storytelling and not something just thrown in like it's so commonly derided as.

Besides Tifa did the same damn thing.

Tifa is scared of losing Cloud because Cloud is obviously very mentally ill and is suffering from severe delusions. She worries that telling him the truth will lead to him committing self destructive acts or leaving her zone of control and he'll end up dead in a ditch somewhere.

Squall is not a happy person but he has a fairly good grasp on reality and so do the rest of the characters (Rinoa is stupid but not suffering from hallucinations or delusions).

And like.. Squall was five years old when he left the orphanage. Lots of people don't remember their friends from five.

Irvine's timing of when to reveal the twist just makes no sense logically or thematically. Obviously they're going for "oh, the big battle is coming up and it's against one of your former care takers!!!" but it's out of fucking nowhere from a human perspective and it completely takes away from scenes that should be about kids dying in war.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa is scared of losing Cloud because Cloud is obviously very mentally ill and is suffering from severe delusions. She worries that telling him the truth will lead to him committing self destructive acts or leaving her zone of control and he'll end up dead in a ditch somewhere.

Squall is not a happy person but he has a fairly good grasp on reality and so do the rest of the characters (Rinoa is stupid but not suffering from hallucinations or delusions).

And like.. Squall was five years old when he left the orphanage. Lots of people don't remember their friends from five.

It's not just leaving the orphanage, it's losing Ellone and not being able to remember anything except for the pain of being by himself. He never got the chance to deal with his feelings because they were robbed from him, so Squall spent the entirety of his youth alone, never being adopted, being molded into a soldier by Garden, and ended up crafting the most extreme personification of what a child thinks a cool adult is meant to be.

Why else would he say petulant shit like "Never get your hopes up and you'll never be let down"?

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
It's not just leaving the orphanage, it's losing Ellone and not being able to remember anything except for the pain of being by himself. He never got the chance to deal with his feelings because they were robbed from him, so Squall spent the entirety of his youth alone, never being adopted, being molded into a soldier by Garden, and ended up crafting the most extreme personification of what a child thinks a cool adult is meant to be.

Why else would he say petulant shit like "Never get your hopes up and you'll never be let down"?

I'm saying that Irvine's reasoning for not telling his friends about this is much worse than Tifa's reasoning (Tifa's reasoning obviously blew up in her face but at least it made some human logical sense).

Irvine just decides to tell people on some bombed out basketball court surrounded probably by the corpses of dead kids while Rinoa is wondering if she's strong enough to keep going. What does any of this orphanage story have to do with any of this situation, Irvine?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that Irvine's reasoning for not telling his friends about this is much worse than Tifa's reasoning (Tifa's reasoning obviously blew up in her face but at least it made some human logical sense).

Irvine just decides to tell people on some bombed out basketball court surrounded probably by the corpses of dead kids while Rinoa is wondering if she's strong enough to keep going. What does any of this orphanage story have to do with any of this situation, Irvine?

So did Irvine's. He might as well have walked in on a bunch of robots wearing his old family's faces.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
So did Irvine's. He might as well have walked in on a bunch of robots wearing his old family's faces.

Why does Irvine decide the best place to reveal this information is on a bombed out basketball court while Rinoa is talking about how Maybe War is Bad.

Story-wise, why not have a large scene about Selphie and her friends (like a 10+ minute long sequence at least) and then have Irvine reveal the info when they're making up a plan to kill Edea in disc 2.

The game really should have had Squall and the party visit Selphie's garden in disc 1 so you would feel the pain of when Edea launched missiles at that garden. Instead of that garden being some jobber for missiles.

Why do it like this.

Selphie has like four minutes total of screen time in this game somehow. She's one of the main characters and actually does things and has things happen to her and the game just doesn't care about her... it's very weird.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Irvine decide the best place to reveal this information is on a bombed out basketball court while Rinoa is talking about how Maybe War is Bad.

Story-wise, why not have a large scene about Selphie and her friends (like a 10+ minute long sequence at least) and then have Irvine reveal the info when they're making up a plan to kill Edea in disc 2.

The game really should have had Squall and the party visit Selphie's garden in disc 1 so you would feel the pain of when Edea launched missiles at that garden. Instead of that garden being some jobber for missiles.

Why do it like this.

Selphie has like four minutes total of screen time in this game somehow. She's one of the main characters and actually does things and has things happen to her and the game just doesn't care about her... it's very weird.
No she doesn't? Why are you making stuff up?

The missile base sequence is led by her. Trabia involves her and she says her goal is to get revenge on Edea. The concert was made because it was her dream to play in a band. She runs the Garden Festival and opens a blog that has Laguna articles and diaries from everyone else after the GF reveal.

You can argue that the game not forcing the scenes to happen was a bad choice but Trabia does has multilple scenes involving Selphie. She talks with her friend in the front. She talks with the two children who go over losing a gift she gave them. The graveyard she talks about her band dream coming true. She is secretive about her time at Trabia and stops the party from learning about her profile there.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That was one of my big problems with FF8 op.

The bigger problem I had though was Squall and RInoa going from I wouldn't say 0 to 100, but like 20 to 100 right after the Garden Battle.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said before, I definitely think this scene / the reveal has flaws but like a lot of things within FF, I feel like you can't have a serious discussion on it without a lot of hyperbolic takes and unfortunately this thread is full of them tbh. Oh well I guess.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As I said before, I definitely think this scene / the reveal has flaws but like a lot of things within FF, I feel like you can't have a serious discussion on it without a lot of hyperbolic takes and unfortunately this thread is full of them tbh. Oh well I guess.

Yup. Case in point, this reply.

That was one of my big problems with FF8 op.

The bigger problem I had though was Squall and RInoa going from I wouldn't say 0 to 100, but like 20 to 100 right after the Garden Battle.

It's as if no attention was paid to the game...or its plot for that matter. Sure some of it wasn't aggressively in your face. Or some of it was optional. But it is here. It feels like some need to be spoon fed and receive repeated information until it sticks. I mean, at least Rinoa x Squall is pretty well developed and early on too. Remember the dance? How Squall easily fell for her without trying to resist? That's pretty much against his personality to play along. Or meeting up again in the train and when they had the time alone to catch up in her room? How about before the assassination and the interactions they had? That was all build up and and before the garden battle.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It's as if no attention was paid to the game...or its plot for that matter. Sure some of it wasn't aggressively in your face. Or some of it was optional. But it is here. It feels like some need to be spoon fed and receive repeated information until it sticks. I mean, at least Rinoa x Squall is pretty well developed and early on too. Remember the dance? How Squall easily fell for her without trying to resist? That's pretty much against his personality to play along. Or meeting up again in the train and when they had the time alone to catch up in her room? How about before the assassination and the interactions they had? That was all build up and and before the garden battle.

I didn't say there wasn't build up. I said they went from one point all the way to another in no time at all. I don't know how you took that statement and parsed that as me not noticing their development. That was me stating they skipped like 17 steps to where they get. Squall and RInoa feel weird as a couple because where they end up feels like it's missing an entire Disc's worth of development.

You're free to believe all you want on their relationship. But I've always considered the Squall RInoa love affair something that just develops at a pace that just feels ridiculous.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I ever remember enjoying FF8 was during the Laguna segments. Oh and Triple Triad is amazing.

Everything else was just...so fucking dumb.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Case in point, this reply.

It's as if no attention was paid to the game...or its plot for that matter. Sure some of it wasn't aggressively in your face. Or some of it was optional. But it is here. It feels like some need to be spoon fed and receive repeated information until it sticks. I mean, at least Rinoa x Squall is pretty well developed and early on too. Remember the dance? How Squall easily fell for her without trying to resist? That's pretty much against his personality to play along. Or meeting up again in the train and when they had the time alone to catch up in her room? How about before the assassination and the interactions they had?

The game is hinting from the beginning that Rinoa and Squall will fall for each other and is extremely not subtle in that regard, but it's still pretty weird at many times.

1. Rinoa isn't allowed to develop much and that makes her a pretty non compelling person. Rinoa isn't given any scenes to react to her dead ex-boyfriend... not being dead but being a soldier for Witch Time Hitler. How does Rinoa feel about this? Who knows. How does Rinoa feel about most things? IDK, but she does feel that Squall should be more open about his feelings.

2. Even by the end of disc 2 when Rinoa is in danger, Squall is like "I should help save all these other people first" and the party have to yell at him to go save Rinoa first.

It's better than Anakin and Padma but it still suffers from some of the "they're in love because I say they are" story telling. It's not a terrible love story but I wish Rinoa was a much more interesting person who was given more scenes. Rinoa and Selphie should be allowed to react to things. Squall has the most emotional reactions of any of the cast because he actually has the time and space to say things.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't say there wasn't build up. I said they went from one point all the way to another in no time at all. I don't know how you took that statement and parsed that as me not noticing their development. That was me stating they skipped like 17 steps to where they get. Squall and RInoa feel weird as a couple because where they end up feels like it's missing an entire Disc's worth of development.

You're free to believe all you want on their relationship. But I've always considered the Squall RInoa love affair something that just develops at a pace that just feels ridiculous.

Now you're just playing semantics. Either way, I figured your point and my reply is regarding that. I guess it's just a matter of disagreement then. I'll leave it at that.

The game is hinting from the beginning that Rinoa and Squall will fall for each other and is extremely not subtle in that regard, but it's still pretty weird at many times.

1. Rinoa isn't allowed to develop much and that makes her a pretty non compelling person. Rinoa isn't given any scenes to react to her dead ex-boyfriend... not being dead but being a soldier for Witch Time Hitler. How does Rinoa feel about this? Who knows. How does Rinoa feel about most things? IDK, but she does feel that Squall should be more open about his feelings.

2. Even by the end of disc 2 when Rinoa is in danger, Squall is like "I should help save all these other people first" and the party have to yell at him to go save Rinoa first.

It's better than Anakin and Padma but it still suffers from some of the "they're in love because I say they are" story telling. It's not a terrible love story but I wish Rinoa was a much more interesting person who was given more scenes. Rinoa and Selphie should be allowed to react to things. Squall has the most emotional reactions of any of the cast because he actually has the time and space to say things.

About your examples. I see the first one touched upon in Galbadia garden (when they were talking in the room). She did show concern and hesitation. But I felt that she wasn't given a lot of time because they're working and being professional. Point 2 is similar. I feel that Squall was driven by his sense of duty and his responsibility as a seed member. He was thinking from that perspective which was pointed out to him when he went too far in that direction.

I would have loved seeing more of Rinoa x Seifer thing. Not sure if there were any hidden/optional events. That I can definitely agree with.

But what we did get I felt was delivered well when you keep the personalities and context in mind.

Regarding Rinoa specifically, didn't she receive development points? The time when she found out about something (spoiler alert) in space and how she reacted to that for instance.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Now you're just playing semantics. Either way, I figured your point and my reply is regarding that. I guess it's just a matter of disagreement then. I'll leave it at that.

Of course it's semantics. The entire basis of how one views relationship's growth can only be semantics based.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
FF8 is just a poorly written mess with 80% of its cast made up of trash tier characters and the "twist" feels just like a "we gotta have a twist!" situation.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
The real crime is the fact that this scene was used (either intentionally or not) to avoid giving the other party members any real character development. It was much easier to connect them to Squall, Seifer, and Edea (who are real interesting characters) and form a collective instead of giving each character a good story. I can imagine playing an FF8 without Zell, Irvine, Quistis, Selphi and it would be the exact same game.

Even Rinoa didn't get interesting until she was possessed by Ultimecia (who in my opinion is one the best and most underrated FF villains).

Such a shame too because I enjoyed Zell and Quisty's personalities and their input.

Rinoa is completely wrong for Squall. It's just not a believable relationship at all.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Ahaha, I forgot the Squall dying at the end of disc 1 thing. It's an outstanding conspiracy theory with a lot of fair evidence, with one of the few ways to seriously retort the issue being to admit the script is atrocious. The rest of the game does make a lot more sense if you pretend it's some boy's overly-complicated shounen fantasy. Well, even more so than most video games, that is.
FF8 is just a poorly written mess with 80% of its cast made up of trash tier characters.
I'd be open to liking the garden students more, if only they had ANY backstory other than "were all orphans at the same place at one point."
Holy crap this is great.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

You have to ignore A LOT of scenes between both to say the development happens out of nowhere. Squall by Disc 2 is showing concern for his friends. If you send Rinoa to the missile base you get two options for Squall to say he missed her. If you bring her to Garden she asks if he would feel the same way he did when seeing the missile base party safe. He starts blushing and gets embarrassed. The proper concert scene has Squall taking Rinoa's conversation seriously about trusting his friends and Rinoa telling him they all love him.

This combined with the fact Squall agreed to dance with her and was upset when she left the dance floor, Rinoa being the only person he was willing to shake hands with and him getting annoyed by her mentioning Seifer, Squall apologizing when he goes too far getting mad at her, Squall thinking of her feelings when realizing Seifer is alive and they are going to face him, the garden tour(though this scene has it's ups and downs) where Squall jokingly calls her his girlfriend, asking her to join them in fighting against Edea and he tells everyone he will talk after. Then it ends with Rinoa in a coma which shocks him and forces him to confront his feelings.

The real crime is the fact that this scene was used (either intentionally or not) to avoid giving the other party members any real character development. It was much easier to connect them to Squall, Seifer, and Edea (who are real interesting characters) and form a collective instead of giving each character a good story. I can imagine playing an FF8 without Zell, Irvine, Quistis, Selphi and it would be the exact same game.

Even Rinoa didn't get interesting until she was possessed by Ultimecia (who in my opinion is one the best and most underrated FF villains).

Such a shame too because I enjoyed Zell and Quisty's personalities and their input.
The purpose of the scene is to show Edea and Cid used the orphanage to recruit children. Why they did this is explained in the ending of the game.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Ahaha, I forgot the Squall dying at the end of disc 1 thing. It's an outstanding conspiracy theory with a lot of fair evidence, with one of the few ways to seriously retort the issue being to admit the script is atrocious. The rest of the game does make a lot more sense if you pretend it's some boy's overly-complicated shounen fantasy. Well, even more so than most video games, that is.
I'd be open to liking the garden students more, if only they had ANY backstory other than "were all orphans at the same place at one point."
Holy crap this is great.
The Squall is Dead theory comes from the same place as Indoctrination Theory with Mass Effect. A desperate attempt to make something out of poor storytelling.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
You have to ignore A LOT of scenes between both to say the development happens out of nowhere. Squall by Disc 2 is showing concern for his friends. If you send Rinoa to the missile base you get two options for Squall to say he missed her. If you bring her to Garden she asks if he would feel the same way he did when seeing the missile base party safe. He starts blushing and gets embarrassed. The proper concert scene has Squall taking Rinoa's conversation seriously about trusting his friends and Rinoa telling him they all love him.

This combined with the fact Squall agreed to dance with her and was upset when she left the dance floor, Rinoa being the only person he was willing to shake hands with and him getting annoyed by her mentioning Seifer, Squall apologizing when he goes too far getting mad at her, Squall thinking of her feelings when realizing Seifer is alive and they are going to face him, the garden tour(though this scene has it's ups and downs) where Squall jokingly calls her his girlfriend, asking her to join them in fighting against Edea and he tells everyone he will talk after. Then it ends with Rinoa in a coma which shocks him and forces him to confront his feelings.

The purpose of the scene is to show Edea and Cid used the orphanage to recruit children. Why they did this is explained in the ending of the game.
I completely ignored the rest of this post after the first sentence cause that sentence clearly shows you ignored mine.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I completely ignored the rest of this post after the first sentence cause that sentence clearly shows you did ignored mine.
Of course you did. Easy way to get out of defending your point.

I said they went from one point all the way to another in no time at all.That was me stating they skipped like 17 steps to where they get. Squall and RInoa feel weird as a couple because where they end up feels like it's missing an entire Disc's worth of development.
You're dismissing the amount of development within the game to treat Squall having strong feelings for Rinoa as underdeveloped and essentially out of nowhere when you say things like you felt like an entire disc worth of development was missed or that the game skipped 17 steps to hit that point.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
This whole scene could've been executed a lot better, sure.
But why are people acting like this is worst part of the story? Nothing is worse than the part where Rinoa is hanging by a cliff while the nurse forces Squall to do a tedtalk on the PA. And that was presumably hours AFTER the whole party did half ass attempts to even do anything about it just to ship her and Squall.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This whole scene could've been executed a lot better, sure.
But why are people acting like this is worst part of the story? Nothing is worse than the part where Rinoa is hanging by a cliff while the nurse forces Squall to do a tedtalk on the PA. And that was presumably hours AFTER the whole party did half ass attempts to even do anything about it just to ship her and Squall.
Yeah I always disliked how everyone put all this pressure on Squall to rescue Rinoa. People acting like it doesn't make sense he was overwhelmed.

Kadowaki was correct that the students fighting and dying for Garden deserved to hear encouragement from him. The others just stand around like idiots.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the OP went quickly from raising a certain point to just generally shitting on FF8 for anything. Says a lot about whether they made this thread out of good faith to have a discussion or not.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Well the OP went quickly from raising a certain point to just generally shitting on FF8 for anything. Says a lot about whether they made this thread out of good faith to have a discussion or not.

? The only thing I've said about the game outside of the twist is that Rinoa (along with many of the non-Squall characters) doesn't get enough scenes.

That's literally it so far...

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I feel you OP. This is why i was giving people the side-eye when they tell me they like FFVIII for the story. As much as I love this broken mess of a game, the story is laughably bad in certain points. Pretty much everything to do with the orphanage was complete garbage.

I absolutely adore FFVIII but I've got to tell you, shitting all over its flaws is generally a good time.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. This is why i was giving people the side-eye when they tell me they like FFVIII for the story. As much as I love this broken mess of a game, the story is laughably bad in certain points. Pretty much everything to do with the orphanage was complete garbage.
You sure didn't have much to say to people like me that you side eyed when I did my giveaway thread and you entered.

I absolutely adore FFVIII but I've got to tell you, shitting all over its flaws is generally a good time.
LMAO

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
You sure didn't have much to say to people like me that you side eyed when I did my giveaway thread and you entered.
Tbh I didn't even know you were giving away a copy.

I side-eyed a person who was saying they liked the remaster's fast forward feature because they were only playing it for the story. This is weird to me because most of the fun of FFVIII is in abusing the game's junction system (and playing Triple Triad).

I'd have it in my top 10 games of all time. I love it to death and have replayed it many times. That said, loving something doesn't mean blindly heaping praise on it without an ounce of objectivity. It has numerous flaws, both story and gameplay, and it's always fun to go over these in detail.

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have it in my top 10 games of all time. I love it to death and have replayed it many times. That said, loving something doesn't mean blindly heaping praise on it without an ounce of objectivity. It has numerous flaws, both story and gameplay wise, and it's always fun to go over these in detail.
Criticising the game is not an issue. Despite me defending the game because a lot of people spread misinformation, I have my own issues with how certain parts are handled.

I dislike characters such as Quistis and Irvine being completely dropped development wise on Disc 3. I didn't like Seifer not getting a redemption arc especially since his ending shot is one of my favourites. I didn't like disc 4 being blocked off. I didn't like GF debate being left to the background instead of giving it a focal point to setup the orphanage reveal better.

I can easily point out issues with VIII because I'm not a blind fan. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the criticism other people are throwing at the game especially when it's flat out wrong. Your post isn't even about criticism. It's straight up dismissing anyone who enjoys the story which is incredibly rude and just as bad as someone who thinks everything is perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh it's okay.

The awkward and weird stuff is Squall doing a 180 from caring about nobody else to being completely fixated on saving Rinoa, and how everyone nonchalantly accepts that to see Ellone they have to go into space. I really like where disc 3 goes, but the first half of it is pretty jarring.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I can easily point out issues with VIII because I'm not a blind fan. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the criticism other people are throwing at the game especially when it's flat out wrong. Your post isn't even about criticism. It's straight up dismissing anyone who enjoys the story which is incredibly rude and just as bad as someone who thinks everything is perfect.
Sorry I wasn't aware FFVIII's story had a defense force I needed to worry about.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many things point out in this thread good or bad, make this game really awesome in weird sense.

But what I love the most is the romantic story that spent 2 generations. The sorceress, space, time travel, amnesia, etc. I don't care one bit, Laguna love story success by his son is what make FF8 GOAT.