• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I wish this narrative would end, it's a tale as old as time. They both help each other out... consoles force a new minimum to be pushed up every generation and force in new technology. PC's help push the hardware specs higher throughout the generation. Nothing is holding the other back, they coexist and create a good landscape for developers.

If consoles did not exist, its not like suddenly developers would start developing exclusively for SSD's, they'd still be trailing behind.
Not exactly true, we see current gen games being held back by their exclusivity just like every generation.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Many PC games are loading fast and there's nothing especially unique in the videos in the OP. Some games may have been limited by bottlenecks which will be removed on the new consoles to make better use of their SSDs but I wouldn't say that it's the norm on PC and thus that consoles have somehow held PC back. Publishers just don't care enough about PC versions optimizations and this won't change with the new console generation.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
This was one of the first things I noticed in Watch Dogs. I have had my M.2 for a while now and I have gotten a good boost in load speed but it actually seems like Legion uses the speed I have available to me.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Is anyone saying consoles don't? It's pretty well known that towards the end of a console generation that PC's are superior in almost every way (few exceptions) and then a new generation launches and consoles catch up or overtake PC's in terms of performance and the cycle repeats.
Except last gen where PCs were already more powerful. Thanks Jaguar.

Its still largely true though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This. Base PS4 GPU was roughly a HD 7870, with some customization, which was already a mediocre GPU for late 2013 standards. Xbox One base was even worse.

Ps4 and XOne CPU were also kind of poor for its time.
Not even? Well I suppose the PS4 was a cut down/downclocked variant, but power wise, not even close. The 7870 was a 2.56 teraflop GPU, vs the 1.8TF PS4.

I certainly wouldn't call the 7870 mediocre by 2013 standards though.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just because consoles will have limited RT doesn't mean PC will be limited as well. You can see the big difference already in watch dogs and it will get wider with time. Pro consoles in few years will help close the widening gap as well.

It does, because games are less likely to be developed in a way that RT is core and fundamental to the game. Watch Dogs doesn't disprove my point, in fact it arguably backs it up - it's just increased quality on largely the same features.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Dice literally patched a forced delay in to BFBC2 to stop people with SSDs having an advantage on PC.

The onus is always on the developer.

Dec 25, 2018
Have been noticing my loads are so much faster lately from my NVME. When I play COD with PS4 players, sometimes it takes forever to load in with them while I am done.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
This was always obvious. PCs have had SSDs for a decade but they were never utilised properly because they've never been considered the baseline spec.
But that doesn't mean the previous gen was holding PCs back, it means the next gen is paving the way forward. It's not like (to my knowledge) PC-exclusive games were optimized for SSDs to have blazing fast load times, because there were still plenty of PCs without SSDs. But now that there are markets with that baseline, it's worth targeting, and PCs with SSDs get to enjoy the benefits of that work, too.

Surely PC developers know how many PC gamers have SSDs and how many don't. Anyone know how prevalent SSDs have been over the last few years?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
What are the videos in the OP supposed to prove exactly? We've had similar load times in mainstream games for years now with SSDs and better CPUs.. Even big AAA games launching multiplatform.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
They were held back in the context that it wasn't worth putting r&d into maximizing the throughout of an ssd when your primary markets all use a 5400rpm mechanical drive.

Not in the sense that they were explicitly developing game's to load slowly.

everything you choose to do or not do when developing a game is a choice, not spending resources on multi threaded loading that could utilize ssd and fast cpu would've resulted in more time to improve other aspects of those games.

now it's worth it because the benefits will be felt by a much larger portion of the playerbase, but again you get this at the cost of something else they could've worked on. Every feature is a trade.

Be thankful that both next gen consoles have hardware solutions to io bottlenecks because it might mean significantly faster adoption of rtx io and directstorage in the pc space, even if the average gaming pc can't use them very well.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What are the videos in the OP supposed to prove exactly? We've had similar load times in mainstream games for years now with SSDs and better CPUs.. Even big AAA games launching multiplatform.
Indeed. It's been known since forever. I don't think there's some kind of limitation when it comes to loading times.

Here's just one example, MH World loads in 6 seconds on PC, while it's one minute on PS4. Even on HDD, it takes 12 seconds on PC. It's more than just SSD, but also CPU speed.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish this narrative would end, it's a tale as old as time. They both help each other out... consoles force a new minimum to be pushed up every generation and force in new technology. PC's help push the hardware specs higher throughout the generation. Nothing is holding the other back, they coexist and create a good landscape for developers.

If consoles did not exist, its not like suddenly developers would start developing exclusively for SSD's, they'd still be trailing behind.
The 'minimun' has fallen a few times flat recently. And the end result is obvious. Care to change that?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of Godfall these seem like pretty standard load times to me. My PC loads games about this fast and it only has a SATA SSD (0.5 GB/s).

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Remember the FUD some weeks ago that "PC will held back the consoles because they have HDDs"?

Good times...

I got back to PC gaming in 2013 2014 and even then NVMe were already available and everyone was building with at least some SSD (though 128 GB were more common than 256 GB probably). If you're still running an HDD in 2023 you might as well buy a console.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
PC gamers (that are target group for AAA) will update if game they want to play doesn't work.
Average gaming PC is low specs because of esports games being made to work on absolute min spec.

KLepe in mind that "low specs" is very relative.

Looking at the Steam hardware survey, the avberage PC is on par or better than a pro console.

In other words, there are more PC gamers playing on specs matching or beating a pro console than there are pro consoles out there.

I think it's pretty impressive though. We're seeing load times within a few seconds of these next gen consoles, and that's BEFORE shit like direct storage and RTX I/O is even available to developers.

Does anyone know if AMD has an answer to RTX I/O btw?