• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In addition to the staff message posted by Hecht yesterday, I wanted to apologize again for the hurt that recent events have caused our trans community. I know that explanations and excuses always matter less than actions, so I'd like to start by making it clear that we have renewed determination to promote diversity on the staff and restore confidence in the team.

As of today we have appointed two new women Administrators and Mod Captains, Pirate Bae and Sophia -- both are LGBT and the latter is trans. These are amazing individuals who have been on track for promotion for a while, and their voices will now be stronger than ever. We have already committed to direct dialogue with the trans community and are looking forward to those conversations. We will also conduct a review of our policies and procedures to see in which areas they might be falling short and how they can better serve the community.

It's not an end but a beginning, and as always we are working every day to try to build a better site.

Thank you.
Truly fantastic news! Congrats to Pirate Bae and Sophia!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see some changes, but there's still no transparency on other key issues.

What happens with the Acephoic mod who is still on staff?

Will Royalan be replaced by a BAME mod? It's pretty frustrating to lose yet another minority mod, especially with Bronson peacing not so long ago. Do we have any Asian representation on the mod team?

What happened with privacy issues that made all the staff team feel so uncomfortable? How was this resolved?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What happens with the Acephoic mod who is still on staff?
Ketkat's own post stated that whatever it is that she saw, it was an incorrect misunderstanding of the situation. With that out of the way, and royalan stepping down (though I think his views on asexuality probably evolved from what his comments on gaf indicated before this incident), I don't think there is any acephobic mod.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Cerium, maybe you and the rest of the staff should add asian and black admins too? These communities have felt alienated for a long time as well. I'm sure there are members who would be suitable.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In addition to the staff message posted by Hecht yesterday, I wanted to apologize again for the hurt that recent events have caused our trans community. I know that explanations and excuses always matter less than actions, so I'd like to start by making it clear that we have renewed determination to promote diversity on the staff and restore confidence in the team.

As of today we have appointed two new women Administrators and Mod Captains, Pirate Bae and Sophia -- both are LGBT and the latter is trans. These are amazing individuals who have been on track for promotion for a while, and their voices will now be stronger than ever. We have already committed to direct dialogue with the trans community and are looking forward to those conversations. We will also conduct a review of our policies and procedures to see in which areas they might be falling short and how they can better serve the community.

It's not an end but a beginning, and as always we are working every day to try to build a better site.

Thank you.
This is a good start. Congrats to the new admins!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Congratulations to the new promotions - Pirate Bae and Sophia - it's nice to see trans representation grow and I've no doubts you both will be working to better our, and the wider, community. I look forward to the upcoming discussion between staff and members of TransEra to understand what some of that might look like.

- - - - - -

To a broader point - I don't want this to come at the expense of representation elsewhere, as others have said. It's important that black representation within the mod space isn't diminished, being a minority on the forum that has long-felt the issues recently brought to the fore. Recommendations for me are heartwarming but that is where the thought should lie. Many non-trans members of the BAME community gave their support to get us here, and though there are very specific conversations to be had between trans members and the staff, the same opportunity should be afforded for other minority groups that have long-since felt the same sentiment.

Immediate communications and actions have been good (though moderators need to address Brock unless I've missed a communication), I think recent posts have begun to show that topics like these can exist in the open. Can include moderators and members discussing issues without it inherently being threatening to either party. One of the earliest occasions of this was Nepenthe stepping into a difficult situation and coming down to meet us where it hurt. Facing the tougher questions with patience and appreciation of the context in which they were asked. Her compassion helped a lot, and I think sustaining dialogue in this effect would continue to do so. Naturally this is not a blanket suggestion, it does not apply to all issues, but I think bringing it this way a bit would work wonders. I appreciate the concern around bad-faith actors using such things as a springboard, which is why it is a tempered suggestion. I just think that this has highlighted that there are certain situations where a little more tolerance is warranted to foster less of a perceived divide between staff and members.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Ketkat's own post stated that whatever it is that she saw, it was an incorrect misunderstanding of the situation. With that out of the way, and royalan stepping down (though I think his views on asexuality probably evolved from what his comments on gaf indicated before this incident), I don't think there is any acephobic mod.

Ah, thank you. I missed that, good to know that's resolved and hopefully the others issues I mentioned can be talked about too.

I'm black. We have two Asian admins.

How many BAME mods are there? It's great there's representation on the admin side, but I've noticed most admins only show up when there's a major issue. A BAME member to replace Royalan, who deals with the day to day stuff would be very much appreciated.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to the new promotions - Pirate Bae and Sophia - it's nice to see trans representation grow and I've no doubts you both will be working to better our, and the wider, community. I look forward to the upcoming discussion between staff and members of TransEra to understand what some of that might look like.

- - - - - -

To a broader point - I don't want this to come at the expense of representation elsewhere, as others have said. It's important that black representation within the mod space isn't diminished, being a minority on the forum that has long-felt the issues recently brought to the fore. Recommendations for me are heartwarming but that is where the thought should lie. Many non-trans members of the BAME community gave their support to get us here, and though there are very specific conversations to be had between trans members and the staff, the same opportunity should be afforded for other minority groups that have long-since felt the same sentiment.

Immediate communications and actions have been good (though moderators need to address Brock unless I've missed a communication), I think recent posts have begun to show that topics like these can exist in the open. Can include moderators and members discussing issues without it inherently being threatening to either party. One of the earliest occasions of this was Nepenthe stepping into a difficult situation and coming down to meet us where it hurt. Facing the tougher questions with patience and appreciation of the context in which they were asked. Her compassion helped a lot, and I think sustaining dialogue in this effect would continue to do so. Naturally this is not a blanket suggestion, it does not apply to all issues, but I think bringing it this way a bit would work wonders. I appreciate the concern around bad-faith actors using such things as a springboard, which is why it is a tempered suggestion. I just think that this has highlighted that there are certain situations where a little more tolerance is warranted to foster less of an perceived divide between staff and members.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. This may come as a surprise to some, but the overwhelming majority of our staff are women and/or minorities. I myself am a black woman, but also bisexual, and come from a migrant and religious minority background. We have a very mixed variety of staff. Some are very outspoken and post frequently, and others pour all of their volunteer time into handling things behind the scenes, so their efforts are invisible to the community. Either way, we all provide our perspectives, and these relevant perspectives are given priority when handling moderation and creating policy. Our moderation philosophy is detailed in the General Guide/FAQ.

Regardless, it's clear that the community is in need of even more representation and diversity, as well as a further examination of both our policies and moderation philosophy. This is something that we will be putting even more focus on going forward and are currently discussing extensively.

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. Sincere thanks to you and others for your efforts in combating bigotry in the community.

How many BAME mods are there? It's great there's representation on the admin side, but I've noticed most admins only show up when there's a major issue. A BAME member to replace Royalan, who deals with the day to day stuff would be very much appreciated.

Roughly half of the staff are BAME.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Regardless, it's clear that the community is in need of even more representation and diversity, as well as a further examination of both our policies and moderation philosophy. This is something that we will be putting even more focus on going forward and are currently discussing extensively.
truly and not ironically, thank you

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A quick note:

First, I want to thank Kyuuji and everyone else who has expressed gratitude towards me for participating in the discussions that have occurred over the past few days. It warms my heart to know that my efforts were appreciated.

But I do want people to understand that was an extraordinary response to an extraordinary circumstance that took an appreciable mental and physical toll on me, and I'm someone who has no mental illness to speak of. Other staff members do suffer anxiety and depression (or they simply might not be too involved in the situation), so jumping into the fray like that might be asking too much.

My goal was to throw you all a lifeline and try to prove that we genuinely do care for you all. You bring invaluable insight and knowledge to subjects and situations that would get no airtime elsewhere on an Internet that is overtly hostile to our existence both as people and as a gathering on this forum. We need you here. I hope that you all understand and take that to heart going forward.

I don't want this post to be misconstrued as saying we're going to go back into the dark and not communicate with you either. Far from it; I agree this forum could stand for more public member-to-staff communication and I'm excited to see how that will manifest going forward. But I want everyone to understand the goal should be to never allow it to get to this point again in the first place where a staff member has to answer to hundreds. We need to take the lessons learned going forward into a better day. We can do it.

Now I'm at work, but it's slow and I'm still open for any questions and comments. After work, food...and sleep.

giphy.gif

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'm hoping we get some solid, concrete change other than adding new admins or moderators. ResetEra had a more detailed, thoughtful statement to the community about the fucking layout changes than they've had about everything that's happened here with the trans community. It's messed up.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A quick note:

First, I want to thank Kyuuji and everyone else who has expressed gratitude towards me for participating in the discussions that have occurred over the past few days. It warms my heart to know that my efforts were appreciated.

But I do want people to understand that was an extraordinary response to an extraordinary circumstance that took an appreciable mental and physical toll on me, and I'm someone who has no mental illness to speak of. Other staff members do suffer anxiety and depression (or they simply might not be too involved in the situation), so jumping into the fray like that might be asking too much.

My goal was to throw you all a lifeline and try to prove that we genuinely do care for you all. You bring invaluable insight and knowledge to subjects and situations that would get no airtime elsewhere on an Internet that is overtly hostile to our existence both as people and as a gathering on this forum. We need you here. I hope that you all understand and take that to heart going forward.

I don't want this post to be misconstrued as saying we're going to go back into the dark and not communicate with you either. Far from it; I agree this forum could stand for more public member-to-staff communication and I'm excited to see how that will manifest going forward. But I want everyone to understand the goal should be to never allow it to get to this point again in the first place where a staff member has to answer to hundreds. We need to take the lessons learned going forward into a better day. We can do it.

Now I'm at work, but it's slow and I'm still open for any questions and comments. After work, food...and sleep.

giphy.gif
Just want to say that I appreciate your efforts.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to everyone who helped me get unbanned or mentioned my name at all, it really means a lot. I'm glad everyone else was unbanned as well, and congrats to the new admins!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, for some reason I couldn't find it.

Is there.. A timeframe on a response?

Not sure what response you mean exactly. Regarding the specific incident, Ketkat was unbanned and there were staff posts around that. Regarding handling moderation better in the future, I think it's a little more complicated than just waiting for a single response?

Basically the staff have now been actively discussing this stuff with trans community members. Obviously some kind of timeframe for when a wider community discussion would happen would be nice, but currently I don't think we're really waiting for a single response to be posted as much as hoping that discussion goes well and leads to changes.