• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing a Discord post from Windrunner where she is accusing Ketkat of "snooping" (made today at 6:15am), I'm not filled with confidence that the staff will do the right thing.

Jesus. No one wants to post on a forum where the mods are a part of a fucking social clubhouse. I know the nature of the work will always tend that way somewhat but if you can't be consistent and serious about resisting it then you're not shit.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
After seeing a Discord post from Windrunner where she is accusing Ketkat of "snooping" (made today at 6:15am), I'm not filled with confidence that the staff will do the right thing.
You CANNOT keep accusing Ketkat of shit, and then do it on a medium that you request for us not to communicate with people here, mods! You fucking can't!

God damn. They're handling this in the worse way possible.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Sneak preview:

We have investigated ourselves and have found no wrongdoing. If you wish to see the results of the investigation, please use the contact us button. The email attached to the contact us button is not monitored. We have decided that the thread has reached its natural conclusion and it is now closed.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Sneak preview:

We have investigated ourselves and have found no wrongdoing. If you wish to see the results of the investigation, please use the contact us button. The email attached to the contact us button is not monitored. We have decided that the thread has reached its natural conclusion and it is now closed.

Disturbing how much i am almost expecting this shit to end like this at any time. The latest developments have not been promising, not at all.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Sneak preview:

I'm suddenly flashing back to the phrase "banned for the hack reason". (Or at least, I'd thought it was "hacking".)

In any case: good to see one unban made.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Since there are some mods who still don't understand what has happened from our perspective, I'll recap:

1) A mod (potentially multiple mods) decides to post hateful content about asexual people in a Mod discord
2) Ketkat hears about it
3) Ketkat makes a post alluding that she knows this, without revealing who the individuals in question are
4) Ketkat is permabanned by the mods, for reasons ranging from "Abusing her personal relationship" to (as Royalan claimed) hacking.

Now we have a mod claiming that Ketkat hearing about these allegedly hateful comments made by staff is "snooping".

Edit: I am happy that Papa has been unbanned. They never deserved it in the first place. Now please, unban Ketkat and Brock.

Edit 2: My original post said that Ketkat heard from Robin, but I've been informed that this was wrong. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Ketkat is a whistleblower, not a "snooper" and should not be vilified as such by the staff. I'm still curious to hear who the acephobic staff member Ket was actually referring to.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ketkat is a whistleblower, not a "snooper" and should not be vilified as such by the staff. I'm still curious to hear who the acephobic staff member Ket was actually referring to.
Wonder how said person who claimed it was snooping feels about a certain whistleblower case happening right now ... or Watergate <_< like seriously if ya didnt have dirty laundry ya wouldnt need to feel like you were snooped.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Since there are some mods who still don't understand what has happened from our perspective, I'll recap:

1) A mod (potentially multiple mods) decides to post hateful content about asexual people in a Mod discord
2) Robin sees this, becomes uncomfortable, and tells her GF, Ketkat, about it
3) Ketkat makes a post alluding that she knows this, without revealing who the individuals in question are
4) Ketkat is permabanned by the mods, for reasons ranging from "Abusing her personal relationship" to (as Royalan claimed) hacking.

Now we have a mod claiming that Ketkat hearing about these allegedly hateful comments made by staff is "snooping".

Edit: I am happy that Papa has been unbanned. They never deserved it in the first place. Now please, unban Ketkat and Brock.

Do we even know (I'm asking as you seem to know more than I do?) that point 2 is true for this thing and not just a reasonable assumption? Cause at least in what's posted publicly her wording alone didn't even make it clear that this specific thing was from Robin, and I don't remember Robin saying it either, though I may have missed it.

But otherwise, yeah, that's it. Completely inconsistent claims, even after the time when staff should have discussed it. And at the start, mixing in claims that she knew other more normal moderation-related stuff as if that confirms this specific alleged privacy breach.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Do we even know (I'm asking as you seem to know more than I do?) that point 2 is true for this thing and not just a reasonable assumption? Cause at least in what's posted publicly her wording alone didn't even make it clear that this specific thing was from Robin, and I don't remember Robin saying it either, though I may have missed it.

But otherwise, yeah, that's it. Completely inconsistent claims, even after the time when staff should have discussed it. And at the start, mixing in claims that she knew other more normal moderation-related stuff as if that confirms this specific alleged privacy breach.
To my understanding, it might not even have been Robin, no, it could have been anybody that was made uncomfortable by the acephobic discourse.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

I thought I remembered hearing it was Robin who told her, but I was wrong. I've edited my post to reflect that.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I remembered hearing it was Robin who told her, but I was wrong. I've edited my post to reflect that.

Yeah, that was probably some people speculating that it was a more reasonable explanation for how she heard about some stuff. Which... has included me!

So sorry if that confused anything, and thanks for keeping a clear timeline to show people.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Unbanning Papa shows that someone is listening; but Ketkat and Brock still need to be unbanned. I get that the official statement from the staff is still coming, but the lack of any answer to the simple question of "will they be unbanned?" is certainly worrying.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Was really hoping they'd both be unbanned by now, but yeah. I mean I'm not surprised, but hope rings infernal :')

Hop to it, k. Everyone here has been beyond patient...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Language is weird. What some people may call snooping, others may call social engineering, or social hacking. Having access (eyes-on or not) to a channel you haven't been given permission to access could be any of these three, depending upon who you ask.

Which is a roundabout way of saying "snooping" and "hacking" may refer to the same thing, just named differently.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Unbanning Papa shows that someone is listening; but Ketkat and Brock still need to be unbanned. I get that the official statement from the staff is still coming, but the lack of any answer to the simple question of "will they be unbanned?" is certainly worrying.

ScribbleD should be allowed back too. Since he started that thread that got locked and kind of set this whole thing into motion by forcing the mods to acknowledge the situation.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Language is weird. What some people may call snooping, others may call social engineering, or social hacking. Having access (eyes-on or not) to a channel you haven't been given permission to access could be any of these three, depending upon who you ask.

Which is a roundabout way of saying "snooping" and "hacking" may refer to the same thing, just named differently.
What is... social hacking????

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic, but what's up with all the Catras? XD
Not off-topic at all. KetKat got banned for a post a lot of trans posters on era disagree is banworthy, and the reasons given for that ban turned out to be not as accurate as possible. Mods have turned up to describe solidarity and how they want to help, but ultimately they can't unban Ketkat. And the administrators have been silent as the grave on this one since, which is aggravating for obvious reasons. At least one trans member outright requested a ban and several outright stated they don't feel safe discussing trans issues here any more, so it's become something of a rallying point for the trans community here on ERA, especially since Ketkat is a pillar of the community in many respects.

EDIT: Hey, would you look at that, they changed the ban reason. Cute.
Thanks. And I'm all caught upon the thread now, and hoo boy did things escalate since I asked about what I initially thought was some sort of in-joke.

Free KetKat and, as always, trans rights are human rights.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Language is weird. What some people may call snooping, others may call social engineering, or social hacking. Having eyes-on access to a channel you haven't been given permission to access could be any of these three, depending upon who you ask.

The idea that either of these are "hacking", and deserve a permanent ban, is ridiculous to me. The fact that we have a mod who still supports Ketkat being permed over this shows, at least to me, that there's some over there who still believe that their right to espouse hateful views in private is more important than our community feeling safe. That mods with a bias against members of the LGBT community should be allowed to police it. It's disappointing.

But the fact that Papa was unbanned does give me a bit of hope. Maybe they will do the right thing, and honestly work to rebuild trust and change for the better. Not all of them are bad, and I hope there are more who understand us than otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
The owner of ResetEra himself, Cerium, already made a statement on KetKat about 6ish days ago. Meaning I highly doubt anyone else on staff is going to make a statement about KetKat and go against him. At this point, we're surely waiting for him.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I'm allowed to talk about without catching a ban but Ket's my girlfriend and I did not divulge any personal information from the discords I had access to during my tenure as a mod.

I haven't received any substantial proof that Ket did or did not access my discord account during that time without my consent so I'm naturally choosing to believe my girlfriend, if that clears anything up.

I still have many friends on the mod staff and I find this all rather uncomfortable. It's been fun seeing my credibility ripped to shreds overnight.
Was the evidence collected (that no one is allowed to see) found in the less than a half hour between her message being posted and her banning or in the days of silence while she sat banned with a banner that effectively has caused hate sites to renew their doxxing campaigns against me?

This is why I quit.

This is super wack.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This whole experience has me feeling
Screenshot-2019-11-19-Emoji-Mashup-Bot-on-Twitter-anxious-extremely-angry-flag-trans-https-t-co-8m4d-Dd7k.png

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically social engineering, but used by people who don't really know the term social engineering, but know it's to do with hacking (because social engineering is part of the hacking skillset). I've seen it used, though maybe it's just me on that one.
Ah, no, I just remembered google exists and social hacking has it's own wikipedia page so yeah it's a thing. Wikipedia makes it sound like social hacking is about impersonation, while social engineering is more about manipulation.

More on topic, Ketkat doesn't seem like the type of person to do either of those things judging by her many posts on this forum.

smh, someone clearly hasn't played detroit
I love myself too much to subject myself to David Cage :P

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, no, I just remembered google exists and social hacking has it's own wikipedia page so yeah it's a thing. Wikipedia makes it sound like social hacking is about impersonation, while social engineering is more about manipulation.

More on topic, Ketkat doesn't seem like the type of person to do either of those things judging by her many posts on this forum.

Yeah, I'll say here that I wasn't making a determination of Ketkat's character or actions, just that the changing reasons for her ban may be perfectly valid, just it's different mods talking at different times, and there's a language thing going on. :)

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just wanna say that I'm happy that these threads full of criticism were re-opened, several mods have been mediating and listening, and a couple bans have been repealed. These are the exact actions that I never saw here or the last place, which always made me feel uneasy about the moderation. There's more to be done, and I really liked what someone mentioned about how it's done at SomethingAwful with all bans and reasoning logged and a thread to discuss grievances, but it's cool that anything at all has happened.

I also totally understand those who are incredulous that there will be permanent change. Hoping for the best, in any case.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that Papa's been brought back but Ketkat and Brock are still banned only makes it looks worse IMO.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I agree, and in fact speaking from the angle where she were, it would make the mod silence very damning considering how much it sounds like many vulnerable forum members have told her things in confidence.