• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, the idea that alluding to something that was said in a semi-but-not-really-private Discord server is a major breach of privacy sounds kind of heinously ridiculous to me. Like I can see the argument but it's really mental gymnastics. In context of Kat being who she is, it's pretty egregious.

So from what's been said, the channel 1. is only for marginalized (maybe specifically LGBTQ+?) staff members and 2. contained talk of their private lives alongside discussing moderation and specific users.

So like... I can see why an outsider seeing its contents would be a breach of privacy? Both for the personal stuff (which could be used to target those staff members by a bad actor) and for mods' discussion of users (whether that be positive or negative). But it remains the case that we still have no indication of whether Ketkat even was the person who saw/accessed it firsthand vs being shown a screenshot/logs. And I'd add that having a more direct knowledge of any internal staff policies doesn't really give any evidence at all for her accessing that channel specifically, for the reasons I've already posted about.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope there was/is some serious self reflection on the part of staff in regard to how this issue is being addressed. The focus should always be on the community.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to get the trans (edit: fuck auto-correct, why'd you change that to transcript. WTH. xD) community know that I stand in full support of them. You all are awesome <3.

Also, from reading through all this and doing my best to process it, something occurs to me: Yukukio was apparently banned for a post that the Staff was confident, completely 100% confident was a self-requested ban when in fact wasn't.

Is there any chance at all, even the slightest chance in the world that the reason Ketkat was banned was based on a similar misunderstanding and complete misreading if the evidence at all? Obviously, since we can't see what this evidence is, there's no way of me knowing how possible that is or isn't.

But considering on top if everything else, in top if multiple reasons being output for Ketkat's ban at different points by different people that we also had another ban based on what was a complete misunderstanding, the thought occurs to me that that's at least a possibility here too.

Of course, as others have said it's not like it matters much in the end. Even if it is absolutely ironclad, the fact that stuff like that happened is just one more reason that the trust has been broken and it's incredibly hard to take things at face value and it really doesn't matter either way regardless, but yeah, either way, just yad that thought in my head and wanted to throw that out there.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Fyi, just wanted to mention that just because the rest of the forum might be humming along fine, like the gaming forum, doesn't mean people don't care. There's just so much information to take in and it's a sensitive topic on so many levels that a lot of people are just reading and watching what's going, but I can't imagine most of us don't give a shit.
Absolutely. I'm thankful for this thread being made or I'd have missed all of this completely. I've always felt that while this forum often fails to live up to its progressive image that at least it had a solid moderation team, I had no idea there had been issues in certain communities and that certain communities are not having that same experience. I've only been reading along here and can't add anything myself other than that I stand in solidarity with the trans and ace communities here and hope to see Ketkat unbanned.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
OP who is the character in your avatar? I've seen a lot of folks with it

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Catra from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power on Netflix which is a dope show. It was Ketkat's avatar.
I'm still completely confused as to why she was banned. I hope the staff post includes more information about this.

She was one of my favorite posters on ERA and, in my experience, always had something useful and insightful to say.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to post in support. I've learned a lot in the last few years about trans issues, but I am aware that I have a lot more learning to do, so I don't like to insert myself on these topics. I do feel very strongly that trans rights are human rights, and we need to fight for those rights.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
If Ketkat is not unbanned along with the update post, that's fucked beyond belief.

Edit: oops, this was not meant to be a joke post. I was just catching up on everything, and I realize that my phrasing matches the other thread about all of this.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I get that the admins want to take their time here, but I just want to speak to them all openly real quick:

As has been made plainly clear here, currently a large portion of the community is hurting because a very well respected member was torn away from them by you, the administrators, and you have still not responded adequately after multiple days, with the last official word we heard from you on the topic being yet another faceless staff post from a moderator, not an admin, which was meant to speak for everyone on the team while also attempting to shut down any discussions about it moving forward. I blame none of the individual mods for this decision as it does not appear that many of them had much of a say in the original ban decision or in whatever this investigation was that took place after the fact. I 100% blame you, the administrators who decided to ban Ketkat, for your hasty decision to ban her, the lack of transparency, and the refusal to openly talk to us about your decision and your decision making process. That is why I think we need to hear from you the most to answer some questions and explain to us why/how this all happened and what you are going to do to remedy it moving forward.

If you want to be transparent and be held accountable for your actions, then you are going to need to start being more comfortable with talking about these things in the open on the forum because keeping it in private discussions does not benefit the community as a whole. Staff posts that are meant to speak for everyone on the team do not count. I want to actually hear from admins, your own personal thoughts, not workshopped thoughts that are put together by a team of people in a discord chat. I am talking about coming in to a thread and making a post just like everyone else does, it shouldn't be that hard. Why hide away and discuss things privately when there are people here, right now, trying to talk to you and get answers? Why does everything need to be presented in the form of an official staff post? I just don't get it.

I don't mind waiting for you all to be ready to discuss it, but just know this: If your next response about all of this is another official staff post that is meant to speak for everyone, you best be ready to individually answer questions in regards to it, because I guarantee there is no way in hell that you can continue getting away with your "no more questions, move along" attitude, not this time.

A secondary point I want to make is how the staff team is a real clique around here, it's just true. Of course you spend a lot of time together in your chat and talk about a lot of things, that's fine, I have close friends online too that I talk to every day and I love them. But when it comes to moderating the site, I don't see what benefit there is to treating everyone else as the outsiders whose opinions automatically matter less than yours. What good does that do? Why remain so insular and cut off? The people on staff should not be considered to be part of a higher tier of users who know better than everyone else and only talk to each other, and they should not receive any special treatment. If anything, staff members should be held to even higher standards than everyone else, not be let off the hook and protected by their peers if they mess up. If there are community members, especially ones from marginalized sub-communities here, speaking up openly about their thoughts on the people in charge and/or their decisions/actions, they should not be ignored or banned if they are doing so in an honest attempt and have real reasons to be concerned. The trans community here spoke up, and now this is the point we've reached as a result of it? That's ridiculous.

That's probably my final rant on it, but I do look forward to hopefully continuing to discuss how we are going to move forward from this, and hopefully with Ketkat being unbanned and able to join in on those discussions too.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still completely confused as to why she was banned. I hope the staff post includes more information about this.

She was one of my favorite posters on ERA and, in my experience, always had something useful and insightful to say.

I totally agree with you and it's very troubling to me there's been so far, zero transparency given to the entire ERA community from the staff explaining exactly why KetKat was permabanned especially since I recall at the time of the founding of ResetERA, a major pillar for ERA was to be transparency between staff and the community.

Oct 28, 2017
I've avoided commenting in trans related threads due to a couple of factors. I usually don't have anything to add that isn't already said by those better than me so I don't usually feel like my voice needs to be heard. I've also buried my own feelings of dysphoria and pursuit of correcting my physical self in order to keep my family together, so those threads serve as a somewhat sad reminder of my choices and when I do feel like I have something to add, I feel like an imposter and keep silent.

However, I feel like we are at a point where all of Era should come together to demand answers and appropriate action for what is going on so regardless of how I feel, I want to join the call for more transparency, more answers, and more action and show that I stand by and in support of this community.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If you want to be transparent and be held accountable for your actions, then you are going to need to start being more comfortable with talking about these things in the open on the forum because keeping it in private discussions does not benefit the community as a whole. Staff posts that are meant to speak for everyone on the team do not count. I want to actually hear from admins, your own personal thoughts, not workshopped thoughts that are put together by a team of people in a discord chat. I am talking about coming in to a thread and making a post just like everyone else does, it shouldn't be that hard. Why hide away and discuss things privately when there are people here, right now, trying to talk to you and get answers? Why does everything need to be presented in the form of an official staff post? I just don't get it.
It always just feels like damage control to me, which I do not appreciate.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Been mostly reading these two threads and not participating, but im looking forward to the response. Im hoping it has a lot less of the "If you criticize us, it makes not want to do our jobs :(" slant that mostly colored the statements on thursday that just personally gave me the vibe of a turncoat "ally" and that the staff was more concerned with themselves and not the community.

hope ket is unbanned

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Beyond what's going on within Era, I hope that trans awareness week is going well for all our trans members. You're loved, you're important, and I hope those close to you are making that extremely apparent this week.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've avoided commenting in trans related threads due to a couple of factors. I usually don't have anything to add that isn't already said by those better than me so I don't usually feel like my voice needs to be heard. I've also buried my own feelings of dysphoria and pursuit of correcting my physical self in order to keep my family together, so those threads serve as a somewhat sad reminder of my choices and when I do feel like I have something to add, I feel like an imposter and keep silent.

However, I feel like we are at a point where all of Era should come together to demand answers and appropriate action for what is going on so regardless of how I feel, I want to join the call for more transparency, more answers, and more action and show that I stand by and in support of this community.
You are valid, and it's a shame that your family circumstances have hindered your pursuit of who you are. But don't feel like an imposter.

If this post doesn't demonstrate the importance of safe spaces, I don't know what does.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Solidarity to the trans folk and other LGBTQ+ who have been affected by the moderation team here. As a cishet person, I honestly didn't realize the kind of rifts happening here due to the moderation until I saw several other topics pop up. I need to do better and speak out more when I can.

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
4135493_0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Is there any hope of Ketkat being unbanned? I never talked to her but very much enjoyed reading her posts and I think that if she remains banned it will be a massive loss to the site, please mods have a rethink and unban Ketkat.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any hope of Ketkat being unbanned? I never talked to her but very much enjoyed reading her posts and I think that if she remains banned it will be a massive loss to the site, please mods have a rethink and unban Ketkat.

One would think so, yes. Given the events that have unfolded at this point, the administration staff risks alienating the entire LGBQT+ community if the issue isn't properly addressed.

Heck, I'd say the administration would risk alienating other communities as well who'd want to stand in solidarity.

Oct 26, 2017
I get that the admins want to take their time here, but I just want to speak to them all openly real quick:

As has been made plainly clear here, currently a large portion of the community is hurting because a very well respected member was torn away from them by you, the administrators, and you have still not responded adequately after multiple days, with the last official word we heard from you on the topic being yet another faceless staff post from a moderator, not an admin, which was meant to speak for everyone on the team while also attempting to shut down any discussions about it moving forward. I blame none of the individual mods for this decision as it does not appear that many of them had much of a say in the original ban decision or in whatever this investigation was that took place after the fact. I 100% blame you, the administrators who decided to ban Ketkat, for your hasty decision to ban her, the lack of transparency, and the refusal to openly talk to us about your decision and your decision making process. That is why I think we need to hear from you the most to answer some questions and explain to us why/how this all happened and what you are going to do to remedy it moving forward.

I don't mind waiting for you all to be ready to discuss it, but just know this: If your next response about all of this is another official staff post that is meant to speak for everyone, you best be ready to individually answer questions in regards to it, because I guarantee there is no way in hell that you can continue getting away with your "no more questions, move along" attitude, not this time.

A secondary point I want to make is how the staff team is a real clique around here, it's just true. Of course you spend a lot of time together in your chat and talk about a lot of things, that's fine, I have close friends online too that I talk to every day and I love them. But when it comes to moderating the site, I don't see what benefit there is to treating everyone else as the outsiders whose opinions automatically matter less than yours. What good does that do? Why remain so insular and cut off? The people on staff should not be considered to be part of a higher tier of users who know better than everyone else and only talk to each other, and they should not receive any special treatment. If anything, staff members should be held to even higher standards than everyone else, not be let off the hook and protected by their peers if they mess up. If there are community members, especially ones from marginalized sub-communities here, speaking up openly about their thoughts on the people in charge and/or their decisions/actions, they should not be ignored or banned if they are doing so in an honest attempt and have real reasons to be concerned. The trans community here spoke up, and now this is the point we've reached as a result of it? That's ridiculous.

That's probably my final rant on it, but I do look forward to hopefully continuing to discuss how we are going to move forward from this, and hopefully with Ketkat being unbanned and able to join in on those discussions too.
Amen, Fanto.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

The challenge here is convincing some of these people that they are in a sort of "blue line" situation and are taking anti-community actions to protect their in-group. Maybe they don't even realize what they're doing, but it really doesn't appear like anybody in the in-group is trying to address this. We've had a couple of resignations, ostensibly over what's happening, but as of now they've remained silent.

This is not to say moderators and admins are "power tripping". I don't want to be misunderstood as dehumanizing or otherwise ignoring the cost of managing a community. I understand that it is difficult, and ultimately what a critic like me wants is to work together.

But the issue that keeps coming up, again and again and again, is that who stays and goes in this community is decided in a vacuum by a clique of people who were given a badge and told "you decide how this community gets shaped". A lot of times, that does indeed work out fine. I think most people here are still on board with this idea that Era can fight for inclusivity.

And yet some other times, like yesterday, it really doesn't work out - you get a weird, self-interested and unconscionable ban decision with no community input on the matter, barely any information on the actual incident itself, and nowhere for those affected to go except out the door. Who is this ban serving except for the moderation team?

If permabans aimed to serve the mod team are what the admins want to clearly put forward as actual policy, make that known so people in this community can decide whether this is the place for them.

What I'd like to tell the admin and mod community is - if you are doing right by the community, we would love to fight for you. You shouldn't have to feel like you're in a foxhole. But this blue line behavior is self-serving, and this decision has a real effect on people here.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Hi, just wanna say to the Era trans community:

You're all beautiful people and I love you.

Fuck transphobes. Trans rights are human rights.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
One would think so, yes. Given the events that have unfolded at this point, the administration staff risks alienating the entire LGBQT+ community if the issue isn't properly addressed.

Heck, I'd say the administration would risk alienating other communities as well who'd want to stand in solidarity.
Quite right, I think the repercussions of not unbanning her could be severe, lets just hope that sense prevails and she is unbanned within the next 24 hours.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous situation for the forum to find itself in, hopefully, there will be a positive resolution to it all and true change.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely caught up, but I'm happy to hear that Royalan has chosen to step down. This is a good first step, but there's more that needs to be done to rebuild trust.

What's most important is that Ketkat is unbanned. The other undeserved bans (like Brock) should be reversed as well. The other mods who Ketkat alluded to should reveal themselves, explain what happened, and apologize (potentially, they should step down as well).

SweetNicole's post in the threadmarks is a great place to start. I hope the staff have been considering those suggestions.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS. Just caught up with some of the stuff going on here but hopefully Ketkat gets unbanned and mods/admins rethink some things. Hopefully a lot of positive changes happens.