• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize, Yukiko - it was done in error. It had nothing to do with your post as a whole. Solely for that specific line, which was misread as you requesting a ban.
Maybe you should reconsider the policy on self-bans. Maybe have a PM back and forth confirmation? At absolute least in cases where it isn't a clear cut "please ban me!".

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize, and will later apologize to Yukiko. I'm sure you can understand the team are a little overloaded, and while we try to be sensitive to every issue, we can, as you can see, make mistakes. I think they saw the post with them ending it as requesting a ban. It wasn't done in malice, and quickly reversed when seen to be an error.

If the team is overloaded, then it is proof that there is something structurally wrong with the way that it is organized. This entire ordeal is proof that these structural flaws have done real damage to real people.

The Mod system should incorporate the fact that individuals can make mistakes. We need to address this or it will continue to happen. "We are sorry and this is hard" can not be the final conclusion of this.

Oct 25, 2017
That is certainly something that needs to happen - a more stringent policy of handling self-requested bans. All self-requested bans should, 100% of the time, be verified in private using explicit language that would be idiot proof.

Also, obviously, transparency is a must. Meta commentary on moderation cannot be a taboo subject anymore, as having it be so is explicitly anti-transparency, especially given how many people have been frustrated by how difficult it can be to get information from moderators in private.

Also also, free Ketkat and Brock.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

When you get involved in advocacy for minority groups, one of the first things you realize is that it is a continual work. Striving to be an ally (not to be called one, because you can't give yourself that label; but to work to be one), never finishes. There's no finish line. It is a constant work to check yourself, to reflect on your biases and see them for what they are, and to strive to be better.

I was advocating for Black queer people in that thread. I was triggered by the idea that our experiences were being compared and devalued. In doing that, I devalued ace people. I don't offer that as an excuse.
That's more like it! Thanks man.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The other part of the requested ban is that, while understandable given the time of day and a lot going on, mods werent speaking up or taking action on anything but took the time to take that post out of context, evaluate it between multiple mods, and determine that was a request for ban.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Self-requested bans should only be allowed through pm and not posts, and even then the user must express a desire to be banned. Yukiko clearly did not express desire to banned in that post.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe when a mod makes a "self-ban" make it so that a prompt is sent to a person self-banned for confirmation if you think the back and forth adds too much to the work load.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
One imagines that most self-requested bans are emphatic and clear-cut. This one wasn't, but I understand how the reading mistake was made in the tumult of last night.

Yukiko is now unbanned and apologized to. This is one plot thread I don't see much constructive benefit toward pursuing. Let's keep focus on the more important issues.
Others have pointed it out as well but its worth noting that Yukiko's ban happened in this thread at a time where there was absolute radio silence from the mod team while the community here was trying to get some sort of answer. It was the only sort of "communication" from them for a good while it it's something that goes to show how bad this has been handled.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The other part of the requested ban is that, while understandable given the time of day and a lot going on, mods werent speaking up or taking action on anything but took the time to take that post out of context, evaluate it between multiple mods, and determine that was a request for ban.

And the only reason I could see for the urgency of that ban is like... "if we don't do it, people are going to start saying we're ignoring the request and that will only cause more trouble".

But it'd been like an hour, right? And nobody was calling for it to happen. Yukiko even went on posting. So...

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
One imagines that most self-requested bans are emphatic and clear-cut. This one wasn't, but I understand how the reading mistake was made in the tumult of last night.

Yukiko is now unbanned and apologized to. This is one plot thread I don't see much constructive benefit toward pursuing. Let's keep focus on the more important issues.
I think it doesn't hurt to discuss it as something to correct in the future. If a post like that is actioned without first consulting with the user to confirm if it was a legitimate request you run the risk of totally cutting somebody off from a community.

It's not as big an issue as some of the other issues that have been raised but it's still clearly a flaw in the current process that could be improved.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Leadership should be on the forum giving as much information as possible and asking the community how to move forward, not behind a curtain while site admins are out here scratching their heads about basic facts

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly I'm not the main or even really anything important in this discussion, but silencing any voice speaking out can't be the way to go about things.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't said anything publicly yet. I've been given permission to speak openly and honestly now, and respond to people.

But first, an apology.

To the Resetera community at large; I am sorry.

To the Resetera Mod team who are now being held responsible for my words; I am sorry.

To the NB/Asexual/Trans community that has been made to feel devalued and erased by my words; I am sorry.

To the Black and Queer communities who looked to me to advocate for them; I am sorry.

I will be stepping down.

If there is anything else that people want me to respond to? I am currently able.

Yes.

When you get involved in advocacy for minority groups, one of the first things you realize is that it is a continual work. Striving to be an ally (not to be called one, because you can't give yourself that label; but to work to be one), never finishes. There's no finish line. It is a constant work to check yourself, to reflect on your biases and see them for what they are, and to strive to be better.

I was advocating for Black queer people in that thread. I was triggered by the idea that our experiences were being compared and devalued. In doing that, I devalued ace people. I don't offer that as an excuse.

I appreciate you coming in to say this. Your actions in doing so serve to strengthen your expanded post and it's nice to see that resonate with ace members of the community. If I were to suggest one thing it would be reaching out to Xas as well, who made the original thread and who is ace themselves. Despite creating it out of concern for our community I know the way the final pages played out and abrupt lock left them feeling guilty for having spoken up.

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back around to my post this morning responding to SweetNicole

Unelected, unpaid, sure. Mods are not rewarded for their work, nor were they handed their power by the members of this site. Nonetheless, they are leaders. We know who they are when we see them, but they're not cops, not just TOS enforcers. They're supposed to be examples of the best of us. They were chosen to be leaders because of their knowledge of their communities, thoughtful contributions, and considerate actions. What is missing from this place at the moment is leadership.

I know that it's a lot to say that mostly anonymous internet strangers should be moral and ethical leaders, but in a community this large, it's a necessity. There were a lot of bad times on GAF, but there were some genuine shining moments in which mods would step in and decide whether a discussion was appropriate or not, and write an extensive explanation including well-reasoned moral guidance on what kind of discussion was appropriate. It sounds ridiculous now, and there were certainly people who didn't like and times when mods overstepped, but in these moments I learned how to be a better person. I learned to stop judging marijuana users from Gaborn (not a mod, but given the atmosphere, I knew I had to listen carefully. RIP). Devo shook me free of sexist views. I learned what is was to blame victims, and why it was wrong. I'm sure there are plenty more moments, but that place transformed me because people were willing to step up and be leaders.

Of course they were flawed, but they weren't afraid to ban people who actually deserved it, and end disgusting, harmful discussion. On era, I believe I've been banned three times. I don't recall what the first one was about, but I vividly remember the last two. Each of those bans was because I was reacting angrily to another member who had been acting like a massive jerk. The first of those people I was banned for reacting emotionally to attacked me personally on social media and was subsequently banned (and returned, and was banned again, and returned). The second of those two I was banned for reacting to continued trolling into the following week and was eventually banned for pushing anti-vax conspiracies (and this poster will be returning from their ban in 9 days). This place is a breeding ground for devil's advocate inflammatory type characters because it's so easy to work the moderation into banning the ones reacting to their shitty attitudes, baiting us into violating the TOS by getting angry. It's the exact same type of behavior that creates the tensions that are blowing up in threads like this one. It should not be tolerated, but it is. That's because there is so little of a fuck given about what is right and wrong, where we should take a stand, and what our values really ought to be. The repeated controversies in threads about trans issues are indicative of this problem. When I get banned for telling an anti-vaxer to fuck off because he's belittling a low wage worker, but trans people can't comfortably be themselves, it is because there is a void of moral leadership. We don't need enforcers. We need leaders.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it doesn't hurt to discuss it as something to correct in the future. If a post like that is actioned without first consulting with the user to confirm if it was a legitimate request you run the risk of totally cutting somebody off from a community.

It's not as big an issue as some of the other issues that have been raised but it's still clearly a flaw in the current process that could be improved.

Agreed. And what would solve this -- and some other issues -- is a form of appeal for banned members. It's rather baffling that such a thing doesn't exist, years into the forum's life. It needs to be a priority.

But, let's not have both threads lose the thread-pertinent plot:

Ketkat needs to be unbanned at this point. Period. She needs to be able to give her side of the story. The community, trans and cis alike, has spoken overwhelmingly, and if the staff are in service of the community and its betterment -- which I believe they are -- then the community's veto should take effect.

Royalan deserved to express his apology. If Ketkat made a mistake, however egregious, let her make amends as well. This community and its pillars are not to be eschewed so easily.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Thank you

Oct 25, 2017
I see the apology, which seems to be acknowledged by members of this community as good. And that's good and what matters.

When can we expect an update on Ket?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I see the apology, which seems to be acknowledged by members of this community as good. And that's good and what matters.

When can we expect an update on Ket?
only freedom.

doubt it. would have happened already cause the staff already have their evidence of extreme wrong doing. however if she is unbanned then the evidence in the first place was probably not reliable

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. And what would solve this -- and some other issues -- is a form of appeal for banned members. It's rather baffling that such a thing doesn't exist, years into the forum's life. It needs to be a priority.

But, let's not have both threads lose the thread-pertinent plot:

Ketkat needs to be unbanned at this point. Period. She needs to be able to give her side of the story. The community, trans and cis alike, has spoken overwhelmingly, and if the staff are in service of the community and its betterment -- which I believe they are -- then the community's veto should take effect.

Royalan deserved to express his apology. If Ketkat made a mistake, however egregious, let her make amends as well. This community and its pillars are not to be eschewed so easily.
100% agreed that Ketkat being unbanned should be the next course of action.

Any updates on changes to moderation and transparency going forward are hopefully taking a backseat to sorting out Ketkat's situation.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Woke up and caught up. Thanks Royalan for finally talking, I was majorly disappointed at your involvement in this but I don't think your mistakes outweigh the good you do (which I will also say should be took into consideration with Ket even if she actually did do something wrong).

And it also highlights what we lost when SweetNicole stepped down, and not just for our specific community, I too miss the "newsletters" for instance.

But that's just thoughts my real reason for posting today....

....thanks to everyone that reached out to me both here and privately, and I want to take the opportunity this time (neither trust nor disclosure are part of my general nature, and my lived experience has amplified that a hundred fold) to trust and become part of a more involved community off site, don't want to leave here but no matter how things improve or not I just think it's best for now on this particular issue for me to make bonds elsewhere and in more focused places....

...which leads me to my pretty dumb overall point, would anyone be willing to give me a primer on what, how, and to become part of discord because this old person doesn't want to end up talking to themselves like the dog (great post Fat4all).

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Unbelievable how this all went down, great timing too. /s

Fyi, just wanted to mention that just because the rest of the forum might be humming along fine, like the gaming forum, doesn't mean people don't care. There's just so much information to take in and it's a sensitive topic on so many levels that a lot of people are just reading and watching what's going, but I can't imagine most of us don't give a shit.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rely on this place a lot to supplement social interaction, but I'm not willing to overlook the silencing of valuable members when they raise their concerns, nor am I willing to overlook the administrative staff forming a secret insulated clique that can place itself above the members that make this place what it is. I will absolutely deprive myself of whatever services this place offers me if these things don't change, because while these problems may have fringed on my awareness before, now that it has come to a head there is no more denying that this issue has always been present here, and as long as that remains the case, the future of this community will always be uncertain, and for my part I just can't bring myself to participate in something I no longer believe in.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Staff: A couple of you have come in here, belatedly, lamenting the otherization of the staff by the community, and talking about how you're normal people with everyday lives (that, needless to say, come before volunteering on Era), but here's the thing:

The community doesn't want and has never wanted to "otherize" you. The habit — or, according to SweetNicole, the policy (?!) — of not engaging actively with the community otherizes yourselves. As the LGBT+ community well knows, visibility is crucial to the public acknowledging you as human. (And by engagement, I don't mean trotting out a singular relevant minority to act as the "face" of the staff, in a performance of ostensible diversity. That's not what being transparent looks like, and it's not what serving in a community should either.)

Be visible. (And by visibility, I don't mean towing the administrative line in intimidating or authoritative fashion.) Yes, that's scary, particularly when the community sentiment is boiling over — perhaps it wasn't even allowed, since Nepenthe had to make her case to appear at all — but proactive engagement can only democratize the forum and stymie said boiling in the first place. Yes, engagement comes with accountability for your visible words, but such is the burden of assumed responsibility, voluntary or no.

[Example: If Royalan had stayed in here, apologized, explained that he'd learned after his past comments, his name and calls for his banning might not be at the fore of this emotional boil over. It would still be prudent for him to resign as a moderator, not because past mistakes are unforgivable, but because his past acephobic comments made him a uniquely unqualified person to have the role he did in Ketkat's banning and the previous thread's locking.]

Since Era's founding, much of the community's adversarial relationship with the staff has — and I know you don't want to hear this — come from top-down policy decisions, as well as the virtual invisibility of the administrators, sans SweetNicole, who is now absent and whose role (even then, not enough) continues to be vacant. Era's community has its fair share of toxicity, but the staff's passivity and its policies' inadequacies have allowed it to grow.

One of Era's founding tenets was transparency, but literally the only meaningful and consistent example of it has been the public banners explaining warnings/bans... which, as seen in Ketkat's case, can be manipulatively abused (or at least appear to be, from the perspective of the public). That lack of transparency needs to change, as it has ever been at the fore of the community's disgruntlement with the staff.

Official reviews of situations, longform responses, and eventual policy changes take time. Everyone accepts that. But what's unacceptable — and what indicates severe mismanagement — is how many hours this thread went without any staff communicating, and that's being charitable and including Nepenthe's personal apology.

Regarding Ketkat: As Nicole said, enough is enough. The situation has reached a point where it no longer matters what she did or did not do, because as has been demonstrated constantly, she was a pillar of the community and multiple crucial sub-communities. I understand that her alleged actions make staff uncomfortable, but (1) she needs to be able to relay her side of the story, (2) the community comes first. Full stop.

Ketkat's banning may have been voted by staff majority — which I somehow doubt, due to its haste, and due to dissenters being less comfortable speaking up — but the bottom line is this: the community's voice has unanimously voted the opposite, and ResetEra is fundamentally the community, lest anyone forget how we clung together in our flight from GAF. Staff have come in here speaking of their humanity, of forgiveness, of sympathy, yet none of that is extended to Ketkat, whose offending post itself was made in unequivocal good faith for the betterment of the community? Unacceptable and hypocritical.

If there are individuals amongst the staff who aren't comfortable serving with Ketkat unbanned, then I remind them that their position is voluntary, and while I hope they stay in the community, their official capacity can be replaced from within the community. If pride gives anyone pause in doing so, perhaps replacement is all the better. Once again, communication is vital to health and longevity.

The LGBTIA+ community, the mental health community, the Era community: the confidence, comfortability, and support of all these people should come before staff wishes in this case of conflict. Period. Or else you aren't serving the community at all.

This is an out-fucking-standing post. I'd really like to see an admin comment specifically on this post.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Is everyone forgetting Royalan wasn't even the staff member Ket & Robin were referring to?

There's a few suggestions that I'm putting forth:
  • Unbanning of Ketkat
  • Unbanning of anyone who got caught in this crossfire and were banned.
  • Revealing which moderator was allowed to continue on staff even after making the comments KetKat alluded to. Have them apologize AND possibly step down.
  • General apology towards the community. Specially the trans and ace communities on Era.
  • Make an effort to bring them back from the discords into the site.
  • Thread outlining steps to what they want to do in the future. And allow people to voice their criticism in that thread.
  • Opening a section for Feedback/Suggestions that's easily reachable and that everyone can access easily and discuss things.
This are just my suggestions. But it's not really...rocket science either.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say cheating, but there is a reason, why male and female athletes are separated. Male bodies most of the time have a physical advantage over woman's bodies. What gender you identify with, doesn't change the nature of your physical body.
This creates an philosophical problem, since woman, who were born with a male body, could keep there natural advantage, which would be unfair for woman, who were born with a woman's body. Do we sort people, how they were born or how they are identify with now?

We group people in different section, since they have different limits. So "woman" and "male" disciplines are technical just limit-group names to begin with. Maybe those groups needs to be updated and have more sections, similar to weight classes in boxing.
I want to point out that this user has a history of posting this kind of rhetoric and was allowed on this forum long enough to post this garbage in this thread. Is the ban permanent?

Oct 25, 2017
I want to point out that this user has a history of posting this kind of rhetoric and was allowed on this forum long enough to post this garbage in this thread. Is the ban permanent?
This is exactly the type of thing I'm referring to in my previous post. Agitators are allowed to go on and on, receiving only light punishments in many cases, only to return and continue.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with temporarily unbanning Ketkat so they can say put words to their thoughts? I'd rather have that done now so that person can speak freely without their 'readmission' hanging over their head as a prize to be won for potential deal-making or backroom correspondence. The longer things go without that person having an oppertunity to speak openly and honestly about their experience, the less faith I think we can reasonably have in the process. After all is said and done, if the mods still want Ket's head -- a thing they claim they don't want, but I digress -- then they can have it, and at least that person got to speak.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably, dude couldn't even keep from spewing some bullshit between his taking advantage of the situation to whine about his ban one time

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with temporarily unbanning Ketkat so they can say put words to their thoughts? I'd rather have that done now so that person can speak freely without their 'readmission' hanging over their head as a prize to be won for potential deal-making or backroom correspondence. The longer things go without that person having an oppertunity to speak openly and honestly about their experience, the less faith I think we can reasonably have in the process. After all is said and done, if the mods still want Ket's head -- a thing they claim they don't want, but I digress -- then they can have it, and at least that person got to speak.

I support Ket's complete unbanning. To the admin and mod team right now, a temporary lifting of the ban would be a conflicting mess of optics for them

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is theyve claimed on more than one occasion that they have damming evidence of ketkat but can't share it with us. And if thats true maybe temp unaban ketkat to have them confirm if this is true without revealing anything. Then again if ketkat feels this is incongruous with what theyve stated were back to square one. This is why transparency needs to be repurposed and retooled here.

Oct 25, 2017
I support Ket's complete unbanning. To the admin and mod team right now, a temporary lifting of the ban would be a conflicting mess of optics for them

As do I -- it's readily apparant that it was done with haste, and, at worst, it was done with an interest in allegedly protecting individuals who may be destabilizing the very communities they claim to wish to protect. That being the case, nobody who is following this in good faith would or should take issue with allowing that person an opening to speak even if it results in a ban, ultimately. If optics were something mods were worried about, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I apologize, and will later apologize to Yukiko. I'm sure you can understand the team are a little overloaded, and while we try to be sensitive to every issue, we can, as you can see, make mistakes. I think they saw the post with them ending it as requesting a ban. It wasn't done in malice, and quickly reversed when seen to be an error.
I apologize, Yukiko - it was done in error. It had nothing to do with your post as a whole. Solely for that specific line, which was misread as you requesting a ban.

Ketkat's ban was also done in error, fyi. Please fix that one, too.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017

Unpopular question, but why? The call for undoing the ban seems to be entirely emotional and not because the ban is in anyway unjust if the story is true. The rationale seems to be that she's too popular to ban, which is crazy.

If Ketkat has done what she's alleged to have done regardless or how popular she is, In my opinion she deserves the ban. People have been perm'd for less many, many times over on here and nobody said a word. The explanation given in Morrigan's post makes it entirely justified if the mods believe there is sufficient proof she did what they say she did. I don't have any reason to doubt them because I fail to see why admin would have banned Ketkat for nothing given that she's clearly very popular and highly respected in the community. I'm sure it wasn't a decision taken lightly and they must be pretty confident that what they say happened, happened.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you are a relatively conservative site admin and you want to take the path of least resistance, do you:

A) Ban a user for a perceived violation your moderation clubhouse on another website, throw a scapegoat out there to resign as a sacrificial lamb.

or

B) Come clean and out the currently-unnamed people or group implicated in this, address systemic issues with new community solutions, and basically do a lot of work

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best course of action is have that person speak up like Royalan did. Because the issue itself wont go away unless its addressed properly.

Agreed. While I believe the Era staff should be allowed to have private discussions like anyone else in this community via PMs/Discord/etc... and what Ketkat is said to have done to obtain information on said staff member was a clear violation, the issue Ketkat brought to light needs to be addressed correctly.

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular question, but why? The call for undoing the ban seems to be entirely emotional and not because the ban is in anyway unjust if the story is true. The rationale seems to be that she's too popular to ban, which is crazy.

If Ketkat has done what she's alleged to have done regardless or how popular she is, In my opinion she deserves the ban. People have been perm'd for less many, many times over on here and nobody said a word. The explanation given in Morrigan's post makes it entirely justified if the mods believe there is sufficient proof she did what they say she did. I don't have any reason to doubt them because I fail to see why admin would have banned Ketkat for nothing given that she's clearly very popular and highly respected in the community. I'm sure it wasn't a decision taken lightly and they must be pretty confident that what they say happened, happened.

They banned her very quickly. That, to me, feels like a decision taken lightly.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Punishing whistleblowers is categorically unjust regardless of the method used to obtain the information.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As do I -- it's readily apparant that it was done with haste, and, at worst, it was done with an interest in allegedly protecting individuals who may be destabilizing the very communities they claim to wish to protect. That being the case, nobody who is following this in good faith would or should take issue with allowing that person an opening to speak even if it results in a ban, ultimately. If optics were something mods were worried about, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

I actually think the current question of optics is why we have these threads at the moment. Shutting them down would be further gasoline on a fire they want to put out somehow.

If I were in the mod group, this would be a time to come to a consensus on how to address this crisis. The issue of Ket's actions is probably pretty divisive among them.

Their best course of action is to swallow their pride and privileges this time, and let one of our strongest transEra members back, because their actions were aimed at shedding light on an issue within the moderation team

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't responsible for that decision to stop the communicating. I disagreed with the decision before I left, and I still disagree with it now. I know that there was talk about picking it up after I left, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up at all.
That's...very disheartening to hear. :<
Per woods they have been in contact.
Ah, my bad. Hadn't totally caught up yet. Glad they've at least started talking to her.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
They banned her very quickly. That, to me, feels like a decision taken lightly.

Ok, but given the reaction, the ban could quite easily have been either retracted or made fairly short but instead it's been made perm. I dunno. Like the rest of you, I haven't seen the evidence either, but I'm just inclined to believe that the mod team probably had a good idea that their decision to make that ban perm would be extremely unpopular and yet they decided to stand by it which tells me they must have a reasonable belief that Ket did what she's being accused of doing.