• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As a generic white hetero male, I'm really bad when it comes to understanding other peoples issues and such (race, sexuality, etc.), so I just wanted to come in here and tell you that I love you all and everyone needs to be able to feel safe and not put up with assholes constantly.
You might be a generic white hetero male but your solidarity is far from mundane. This is the kind of bare bones basic support I like to read.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say cheating, but there is a reason, why male and female athletes are separated. Male bodies most of the time have a physical advantage over woman's bodies. What gender you identify with, doesn't change the nature of your physical body.
This creates an philosophical problem, since woman, who were born with a male body, could keep there natural advantage, which would be unfair for woman, who were born with a woman's body. Do we sort people, how they were born or how they are identify with now?

We group people in different section, since they have different limits. So "woman" and "male" disciplines are technical just limit-group names to begin with. Maybe those groups needs to be updated and have more sections, similar to weight classes in boxing.

This is just flat out false

Studies have been done to show after a year of transition testosterone and blood oxygen levels are at or below levels of those of similar age https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...169676-5b50-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

Here's an Era post with links to various studies on this https://www.resetera.com/threads/espn-complaint-targets-transgender-hs-track-athletes.124594/

Oh and guess what, CIS people have varying levels of blood oxygen and two men of equal ages and equal training facilities will not always be equal. There's a natural athletic ability that many people have or don't, this is just known in general with athletics. Should we also get into physical traits such as weight, height, etc? It's just so ludicrous to assume every male has an advantage because let me tell ya, I know plenty of women who can kick my ass in athletic activities even though I'm a man.

Further, y'all write this as if other cis people don't seek out easier methods to winning. PLENTY of people will move to areas with teams where they can be a stand out. I've seen people competing at national levels fly all over the country to races to get easier points for ranking up.

To try and paint this as only a trans issue is just dog whistling bullshit.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
East Coast, I'm still up. This is just a personal note from me.

If you want someone's head, frustrations aside that is the wrong way to go about this. My opinion is we should not be a site that comes for people's heads.

Now, I cannot speak for direct admin interactions with members, or anything in any LGBT+ related channels wherever they may be, because I am not an admin, and I do not have access to those channels for a very good reason.

But I can say this. I have spent hours upon hours at a time (into the wee hours of the morning on several occasions) banning people outright for their dismissiveness, prejudice, and harmful words towards people like you who are simply seeking to thrive at ResetEra. Not just because it's site policy, or because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night. Because it's the right thing to do for you, and for everyone. I have even advocated for not being so quick to ban in some cases. And while I'm speaking just for myself here, I have witnessed others do the same. For you. They're still around, even.

And when I am online volunteering for the site, I am obligated to read and address each report that comes in, no matter if it is written nicely, or in anger, or accurately describes the situation, or a misunderstanding, or a misinterpretation, or written in frustration - even if it contains conspiratorial suggestions about other members, or the staff. The conspiratorial posts and reports on Era about staff members (an aspect of Era culture which seems to have become generally accepted, even among the marginalized) really sicken me personally. But as I am working to address the concerns of others on the forum it is not about my feelings, it is about theirs. Yours. So I tolerate it as I go about my duties.

With all that, I refuse to air others' dirty laundry from bans on the site itself. If you want people to truly change, you need to give them the opportunity to do so, and airing their dirty laundry would only interfere with that. If someone is changing and growing or making up for a mistake, I will not contribute to an embarrassment campaign. Same with repeat offenders who have exhibited no change in behavior over a long sustained period, and are permanently banned from the site as part of support for the community. I will not air their dirty laundry on the site, even if that behavior continues to persist outside Era via other avenues. This means that you won't know everything about someone's history of participation on this site, including their interactions with staff, and bans.

But concerning behavior generally, I will say this: What I will not abide as a member, or as a moderator volunteering to support communities like yours, are members - no matter who they are or what they stand for - using site posts and reports in order to attempt to personally manipulate or gaslight me (or any member) into serving their own personal individual ends or games. This type of thing takes time and energy away from whole communities of members who prefer we support the concerns of their identities.

And It interferes directly with supporting you.

Manipulating or interfering with me or anyone on staff (including and especially the LGBT+ members of the staff), whether once or repeatedly over time, is unacceptable to me. You may not see it but you do feel its effects - it absolutely interrupts me and robs me of time and energy when those long hours are needed and the bans to stave off the dismissiveness and harm that can't be processed soon enough. I would think that these delays and interference would be unacceptable to you as well, but I will not speak for you.

Lastly, I will just leave these few questions, really for anyone who is reading this. Is there no room on Era to grow or change, for everyone, or anyone? Do you want to shut down all possibility of that? Again I will not presume to speak for you or your experiences, but from what I understand there are people out there in the world who think the only acceptable consideration for you as a person is removal first and foremost. Is that the only acceptable first step for you as well?

PS. I see another step taken being labeling of others. If I am mistaken, please correct me, but isn't undue labeling the second step taken on you as well?

Thank you for your attention to this personal note from me.

You advocate for change and betterment, and yet you permanently banned Ketkat without even talking to her.

Practice what you preach. Era is *nothing* without its users.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The staff has really gotta stop being so secretive.

Honestly, the transparency that has been touted for so long here is really not present. I honestly don't even know who truly owns the board or how money is spent. At least with Evilore, we knew specifics to a degree.

This clash between the lgbtqa crowd and Era mods/admins has been brewing for a while, there have been some topics that have dealt with mod abuse and transparency, but nothing to this extent. I'm glad it's picking up steam. It's important that communities that have been silenced on Era have a voice.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Only just catching up with all of this. Absolutely shocking actions and reactions by the staff, I had thought this place was supposed to be better. Admittedly I have been posting a lot less recently.

My full support to the LGBTQ+ members here, we love you even if it's not always apparent

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
What's going on here? 😐

As a cis whit male I am well aware of my privilege. Know that you all have my admiration and when the opportunity arises I will stand with you whatever gender you do or do not self identify with and whomever you do or do not get off with under the sheets! Love you!
✊🏻❤🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍🤎✊🏻
When we meet in person I have free hugs for everyone that wants!

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mods need to stop making this topic about themselves and take a moment to reflect on what is going on in the community.

I don't think that's going to happen given certain mods that are in place. This really needs to be addressed by an admin because it's clear for years the mods here aren't willing to take responsibility for their actions.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wouldn't say cheating, but there is a reason, why male and female athletes are separated. Male bodies most of the time have a physical advantage over woman's bodies. What gender you identify with, doesn't change the nature of your physical body.
This creates an philosophical problem, since woman, who were born with a male body, could keep there natural advantage, which would be unfair for woman, who were born with a woman's body. Do we sort people, how they were born or how they are identify with now?

We group people in different section, since they have different limits. So "woman" and "male" disciplines are technical just limit-group names to begin with. Maybe those groups needs to be updated and have more sections, similar to weight classes in boxing.
I know that you're banned but why the fuck would you post this crap in this thread of all places.

This sort of shit is what happens in every trans related thread on this forum and whilst action was taken rather quickly here it doesn't in other cases. It's so fucking exhausting .
Mods need to stop making this topic about themselves and take a moment to reflect on what is going on in the community.
Also, this.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Found this thread thank to SmashERA and finally caught up to everything.......and I just wanna say I am so sorry this is even happening. I know the Mods are not perfect (hell I remember I time when I thought there were too trigger happy with bans and I was scared to even post at certain moments) but we all expected better from them for situations like these.

This feels like it could be fixed with no real difficulty to be honest, starting with what the team promised. Transparency.

I dont want this place to go down in flames, this is basically my home on the internet, but this place also needs to be moderated with better quality.

What a bad time for this mess to start...here is hoping for a good end to all of this and for everthing that needs to be done to get done ASAP.

As a Male Bisexual, you guys have my support. And I apologize for not participating in the LGBT+ communities here, im just somewhat introverted about that subject I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are great!

Yes please. It takes all of a few seconds to see how frustrated the community is even from an outsiders perspective.

This continued dejectment of the community can't happen and no one is going to let it happen. This forum isn't worth it at all if this community cannot feel safe.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's typical that the issue highlighted around trans discussions off the back of months of discontent is being replicated in real time in that other thread.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's typical that the issue highlighted around trans discussions off the back of months of discontent is being replicated in real time in that other thread.
I was literally just thinking that. Bunch of chuckleheads showing up having 10% of an understanding of what's going on and saying we're all exaggerating. Very cool.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There is absolutely room for change and for growth. Buuuut...

....doesn't this also go for, say, Ketkat? It shouldn't just be moderators that have the opportunity to grow, while a critic is banned, sometimes under outright false pretenses (cf Yukikos ban).

An opportunity to grow should also be given to critics (especially those whose entire "crime" was referring to something in the side part of a paragraph without naming names. The response to this was ABSURDLY over the top from an outside perspective).
This includes not immediately running in and claiming that the critic abused their girlfriend or hacked, no? There's no room for growth if one side is silenced, while the other is allowed to claim things that seem wildly off base unchallenged, then later goes and edits the evidence away. If you, as the mod team, have to change the story why Ketkat got banned three times, it gets less and less credible every time, too - and it gets harder every time to listen to calls that the mod team should be allowed to grow and face zero consequences for the actions. It's a good sentiment, of course, but it needs to be applied to more than moderators.

I really get how hard modding is, I've done it myself and will never do it again as a consequence. The sludge you have to wade through to do it is sickening sometimes. It's not an enviable position, and definitely deserves thanks. And I am pretty sure that even many of the people angry at you still appreciate the work you do.
But the work isn't above criticism. The anger you've got on your hands isn't because a mod made a crappy comment.

The problem is not the mean community coming for an innocent mod that made bad comments years ago.

I think this is an incredibly important point here. The post Ketkat was banned for had been an incredibly well written post in response to a staff member brushing away concerns about modding, with the whistle blowing element being an incredibly important aspect of it. If staff wanted to criticise her in good faith they could have went over the logs/accusations in private whilst giving them a warning about the nature of "leaking" such info (despite the fact Ketkat did everything she could to keep everybody involved anonymous.

Instead she was immediately banned, outright slandered (claims of hacking and then abusing her relationship), and the reason given for the ban along with the follow up posts all pointed to the issue being that she whistleblowed about a safe space for staff to be bigoted. I'm not sure that's 100% accurate but with no evidence of the logs and what was said rather than focusing on her misinterpreting/misreading/lying about what happened that's what it came across as.

Then we're told that we should give the staff member who slandered her, suspiciously closed the topic after Nicole made a post that was really worth discussing, and was then revealed to hold problematic opinions in the past. Whilst Ketkat who's well known for being one of the most ardent defenders of the all of the LGBTQ+ community on these forums doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for an action that doesn't seem too bad or harmful even with the most unfair reading.

Is there any way people are going to be happy here unless Ketkat's unbanned and is there any chance that would happen?
Is there any chance any transparency's going to be given to the modding process here after Brock's and Yukiko's bannings?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'll stand with y'all in any capacity needed. Thanks for this thread and for your awesome dedication to saving lives and helping people come together.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I think this is an incredibly important point here. The post Ketkat was banned for had been an incredibly well written post in response to a staff member brushing away concerns about modding, with the whistle blowing element being an incredibly important aspect of it. If staff wanted to criticise her in good faith they could have went over the logs/accusations in private whilst giving them a warning about the nature of "leaking" such info (despite the fact Ketkat did everything she could to keep everybody involved anonymous.

Instead she was immediately banned, outright slandered (claims of hacking and then abusing her relationship), and the reason given for the ban along with the follow up posts all pointed to the issue being that she whistleblowed about a safe space for staff to be bigoted. I'm not sure that's 100% accurate but with no evidence of the logs and what was said rather than focusing on her misinterpreting/misreading/lying about what happened that's what it came across as.

Then we're told that we should give the staff member who slandered her, suspiciously closed the topic after Nicole made a post that was really worth discussing, and was then revealed to hold problematic opinions in the past. Whilst Ketkat who's well known for being one of the most ardent defenders of the all of the LGBTQ+ community on these forums doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for an action that doesn't seem too bad or harmful even with the most unfair reading.

Is there any way people are going to be happy here unless Ketkat's unbanned and is there any chance that would happen?
Is there any chance any transparency's going to be given to the modding process here after Brock's and Yukiko's bannings?

Agree 100%

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hey this thread is huge from when it was posted what happen*

tenor.gif

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
As a generic white hetero male, I'm really bad when it comes to understanding other peoples issues and such (race, sexuality, etc.), so I just wanted to come in here and tell you that I love you all and everyone needs to be able to feel safe and not put up with assholes constantly.

Same here, I grew up in a small midwest town with a 95% white population and can count on one hand the amount of LGBTQ+ people I know. Things like racial, religious, sexual & gender issues were always out of sight, out of mind and easy to brush off as not a big deal.

I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to these topics but I try to stay open-minded and learn more about them, various threads on this site have helped open my eyes to the struggles that non-white hetero males face and I hope for a day where such discrimination no longer exists.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh man my bad. I thought this guy was on staff here
unknown-3.png
Can someone explain this to me please? On my end this can definetly be seen as gatekeeping, but saying Asexual people didn't face the same struggles as gay people is...true? You don't get jailed or murdered in large parts of the world because you're Asexual. Or am I not aware of those things happening?

Like, gatekepping, maybe. Phobic? I don't see it. Opression Olympics suck, but it's still not "phobic" to me.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain this to me please? On my end this can definetly be seen as gatekeeping, but saying Asexual people didn't face the same struggles as gay people is...true? You don't get jailed or murdered in large parts of the world because you're Asexual. Or am I not aware of those things happening?

Like, gatekepping, maybe. Phobic? I don't see it. Opression Olympics suck, but it's still not "phobic" to me.

Probably you should hone in on the idea of asexuals "watering down" a community and such rhetoric being insanely acerbic. It's explicitly a post about excluding an identity from the broader LGBTQ+ movement (while also simultaneously saying "oh I don't want to do that") and that's pretty undeniable.

In somewhat topical fashion, an individual is focusing a discussion about an aspect of queerness on themselves in an imposing fashion, and in a way that doesn't appear sympathetic to a disenfranchised group.

Participating in the "oppression olympics" is not a noble or brave thing.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Like, gatekepping, maybe. Phobic? I don't see it.
Can you do some amount of research on the topic at the same time?
The letters of LGBTQIA shouldn't need to battle in some leaderboard of oppression.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you do some amount of research on the topic at the same time?
The letters of LGBTQ+ shouldn't need to battle in some leaderboard of oppression to determine some sort of triage of validation around their concerns.

Again, as i said, it can be absolutely seen as gatekeeping, or "battle in some leaderboard of oppression" as you put it. But that doesn't mean the person who posted that is phobic towards Ace folks, which is my entire point.

I know two asexual people in real life and talked about them on these things quite a bit. Yes, pretty much every society is barely familiar with the concept which leads to animositiy, it doesn't get brought up much in Sex Education either. Ace folks can absolutely feel marginalized through that.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Again, as i said, it can be absolutely seen as gatekeeping, or "battle in some leaderboard of oppression" as you put it. But that doesn't mean the person who posted that is phobic towards Ace folks, which is my entire point.

I know two asexual people in real life and talked about them on these things quite a bit. Yes, pretty much every society is barely familiar with the concept which leads to animositiy, it doesn't get brought up much in Sex Education either. Ace folks can absolutely feel marginalized through that.
Nah, when you talk about your own struggle being "watered down," that shit is just acephobia. What else is it going to be? Your struggle is lessened by being associated with the struggle of another? Think about what that's implying.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
There's a reason topics about trans issues consistently go to shit here, and it sure isn't because of the trans people
Kev! 💕

Nah, when you talk about your own struggle being "watered down," that shit is just acephobia. What else is it going to be? Your struggle is lessened by being associated with the struggle of another? Think about what that's implying.
And yeah. Completely this. I mean the letters are supposed to support each other but not everyone seems to get that.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Am I just blantantly misremembering, or didn't a couple of mods speak and act like Ketkat was being talked to after the ban? I distinctly remember someone claiming "Ketkat can't give tell us any other way she got that information", or something along those lines.

It feels like we're just being lied to over and over again. :T

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a month long ban for a transphobic post and would like to apologize to the trans community and anybody else I offended, I really should have thought twice before posting. I am truly sorry for what I said and for the pain I caused.

I didn't consider myself transphobic but obviously I still have a lot of things to learn and have to reflect my thoughts and behavior, I don't want to go into detail because repeating what I said could understandibly upset people again and I don't want that but I hope you believe me that what I said wasn't out of malice, it was out of ignorance. Of course my intention doesn't affect how much a comment hurts but maybe it will make it a bit easier to forgive me. If it doesn't that's okay, I don't expect anyone I offended to give me the time of the day or to hold my hand because I feel bad about it but if you can forgive me I want to be an ally.

I cannot promise that I won't stumble again, I wish I could but after what happened I'm doubting myself. What I can promise is that I'll educate myself, listen to you and that'll try to be better every day.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I disagree though. Feeling a need to make the distinction at all highlights not viewing them as an equal part of the community. It is suggesting that there should be some weighting to the LGBTQIA and that in and of itself is dismissive and exclusionary toward aces.

Please don't downplay it like that. Corrective rape is a severe issue for asexual people and they can't even drive in Russia. This isn't just general ignorance and people being blunt off the back of it.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This. I am socially awkward, I live in a country that isn't where I was born in so I'm an immigrant, and I've had my share of shit throughout my life. I absolutely respect and support people who are encountering issues due to any kind of diversity, even though due to my formation, where I live, etc. I don't really understand it all. The pronouns, the various categories, I just don't get all that because it's not something that really happens around me and in turn it's not something I discuss much as I am admittedly ignorant on the matter. Nobody should be discriminated based on the skil colour, sexuality, gender, name, body shape, and so on, especially because these aren't things you really choose yourself - it's how you are, nothing to do about it but try and hide it (bad) or embrace it (good). I am a straight white male so I'll never really understand some of this struggle, all I can do is respect it.

The fact such an open-minded forum as this has such obvious issues not being dicks to certain people and mods are unaware of how to solve it (or unwilling to do so) is disheartening, because it's easy to fall on the "wrong side" easily. If we sleep on even the 0.0001% of the forum being discriminated, that just leaves room for a time that a different group could get the same treatment, with similar amount of indifference. Closing your eyes on injustices because they don't touch you can bite you in the ass at a later time when you're the one in need, which can absolutely happen.

In a way it's good some major scandal happened, although it's sad how it went down. The moderating on this website was very positive at first, then it slowly descended into a series of blanket bans: say a certain keyword and there's a ban. Ask a genuine question that is misinterpreted as trolling, get a ban. Quote something "wrong" for discussion's sake without agreeing with what is being said, there's your ban as it was your view. All while the drive-by comments, the obvious trolling and such are less and less punished. 2 years ago, if your reply to a lengthy OP was "ok" you'd get a warning at least, nowadays it's perfectly fine doing a drive-by like that. It used to be warnable/bannable offense for attacking a user for having a different opinion, now it really isn't like that anymore from what I see, as OPs can be mocked openly just because they have an uncommon opinion.

A person was permabanned in a matter of minutes. It is impossible that research was done about it, because it happened so fast. Before anybody could legimitately read through the post and gain information on the accusation in it, the accuser got permabanned, with the explanations about it changing every hour and mods/admins contradicting each other on how it went down. No matter how I look at it, that's the peak of the iceberg that is currently sinking the moderating on this website. I agree that Era is still one of the better moderated sites I've been too, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism, it just makes it more surprising and disappointing when such obvious phallacies fall through the system. I learned not to expect any good from Facebook, Twitter or Reddit moderation, but Era was supposed to be different.

Mods and admins have a chance to correct the course. In this specific scenario, they need to back off or step up: either admit it was all bullshit and reinstate the prior status, getting rid of the people who tried silencing the criticism, or provide facts of the supposed hack, the abuse, the repeated violations of privacy. Because there's people here who put a lot of time, dedication, passion in this community, either by just posting often, by providing insights, by handling communities, by helping others, by providing quality themes to discuss. As someone who has a high post count, I'd fucking despise getting nuked permanently from the site because I allude to some bad shit that happened here, without any chance of getting my voice heard (last two times I contacted support I was ignored or got an answer WEEKS later after my issue was solved, so that's obviously not an option).

I'm not trans, I'm not even in the LGBT-community (and I gladly admit I don't know enough about it to properly discuss it, hence I usually avoid such threads) but they have my support for what it's worth. But what happened here is extremely unfair and unprofessional, and it casts a shadow on the entire moderating team until a proper resolution to the story doesn't arrive - because after the initial stuff last Friday and the events of the last 10 hours, it seems like nobody wants to come out and truly address this. The more you guys wait, the more it'll feel like you have a lot to hide and are just trying to tidy it up for a neat and believeable excuse story. Hopefully you'll prove me wrong.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Am I just blantantly misremembering, or didn't a couple of mods speak and act like Ketkat was being talked to after the ban? I distinctly remember someone claiming "Ketkat can't give tell us any other way she got that information", or something along those lines.

I read that as the info they said KetKat had brought up that came over months that she mentioned in emails/correspondence to them that had private info the mods thought cane from the private discord but weren't completely sure so asked at the time where she got it? I didn't read it as them contacting her after the ban? At least that's what I thought, could be wrong.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

I would suggest the following:
  • The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

edit: fixed a typo

Great post!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably you should hone in on the idea of asexuals "watering down" a community and such rhetoric being insanely acerbic. It's explicitly a post about excluding an identity from the broader LGBTQ+ movement (while also simultaneously saying "oh I don't want to do that") and that's pretty undeniable.

In somewhat topical fashion, an individual is focusing a discussion about an aspect of queerness on themselves in an imposing fashion, and in a way that doesn't appear sympathetic to a disenfranchised group.

Participating in the "oppression olympics" is not a noble or brave thing.
But they said they have no issues with it being included, they talked about them not having it likened to their own struggles as a gay person. Which is pretty much gatekeeping Ace folks issues, but it's not phobic towards them.

I absolutely agree with the bolded, and I thought I made that clear from the outset multiple times. Not sure why you felt the need to point that out.
I'm not gay so I can't speak for them. But in their mind, those struggles are not the same (and historically they just aren't), so likening them together may indeed water down the talk about their own struggles. Again, it can absolutely be seen as gatekeeping and I get why people wouldn't be ok with that.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
There's a reason topics about trans issues consistently go to shit here, and it sure isn't because of the trans people

Yeah, the community discourse around these issues has been shit for a long while too, regardless of anything that staff does or doesn't do. I know it isn't possible to completely root out unsavory individuals, but in an ideal circumstance, how these issues are moderated wouldn't be as much of an issue in the first place if the community got its act together.

Yes, Ketkat was spoken to after ban, as were multiple other people, to the best of my knowledge.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they said they have no issues with it being included, they talked about them not having it likened to their own struggles as a gay person. Which is pretty much gatekeeping Ace folks issues, but it's not phobic towards them.

I absolutely agree with the bolded, and I thought I made that clear from the outset multiple times. Not sure why you felt the need to point that out.

I'm not gay so I can't speak for them. But in their mind, those struggles are not the same (and historically they just aren't), so likening them together may indeed water down the talk about their own struggles. Again, it can absolutely be seen as gatekeeping and I get why people wouldn't be ok with that.
so what the fuck are you trying to accomplish by playing the semantics game? the end result is you're trying to create a rift in the LGBTQ community by doing oppression olympics. Who fucking cares, we gotta stick together, the cishets hate all of us enough as it is, and dismantling the whole community only makes all of us more vulnerable. This is extremely bad faith shit my guy.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Well, maybe as a bi person my struggles would be watered down compared to them too, but I'm telling you with sincere conviction that position's acephobic.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The secrecy, tone policing and arrogance surrounding these events are unreal. The ResetEra staff should be ashamed of themselves.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree though. Feeling a need to make the distinction at all highlights not viewing them as an equal part of the community. It is suggesting that there should be some weighting to the LGBTQIA and that in and of itself is dismissive and exclusionary toward aces.
Maybe in their mind it wasn't so much about that but righter highlighting their own struggles. Which, I agree with isn't the right way to go about it.

Please don't downplay it like that. Corrective rape is a severe issue for asexual people and they can't even drive in Russia. This isn't just general ignorance and people being blunt off the back of it.
Huh I didn't even know that about Russia. That sucks. Didn't want to downplay it like that, sorry.

so what the fuck are you trying to accomplish by playing the semantics game? the end result is you're trying to create a rift in the LGBTQ community by doing oppression olympics. Who fucking cares, we gotta stick together, the cishets hate all of us enough as it is, and dismantling the whole community only makes all of us more vulnerable. This is extremely bad faith shit my guy.
Why are you so god damn hostile from the outset. Maybe I just have a different perspective than you or (evidently) others here. I'm glad to get educated on these issues and learn more, but in order to do that I'd like to make my current point of view clear so others know where I'm at. This isn't some "you're wrong and I'm right" thing to me.

I get that maybe that's not the right point in time for this, but the post in question was part of the bigger picture that is going on right now so I wanted to share my perspective and see how others think about it and why they have these thoughts. That's the entire point why I asked, that's all. Calm down.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the community discourse around these issues has been shit for a long while too, regardless of anything that staff does or doesn't do. I know it isn't possible to completely root out unsavory individuals, but in an ideal circumstance, how these issues are moderated wouldn't be as much of an issue in the first place if the community got its act together.

Yes, Ketkat was spoken to after ban, as were multiple other people, to the best of my knowledge.

I've spoken privately with friends about how I think moderation should be handled on this site, now and in the future. I think this thread is the right time to lay out those ideas, mostly building on the longer post you wrote earlier. I have a presentation to do at 9 est but if the thread is open when I get back I'm gonna give it ago. I've been a part of this community for nearly a decade and we need to do some thoughtful introspection on what we're supposed to be about.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe in their mind it wasn't so much about that but righter highlighting their own struggles. Which, I agree with isn't the right way to go about it.

Huh I didn't even know that about Russia. That sucks. Didn't want to downplay it like that, sorry.

Why are you so god damn hostile from the outset. Maybe I just have a different perspective than you or (evidently) others here. I'm glad to get educated on these issues and learn more, but in order to do that I'd like to make my current point of view clear so others know where I'm at. This isn't some "you're wrong and I'm right" thing to me.

I get that maybe that's not the right point in time for this, but the post in question was part of the bigger picture that is going on right now so I wanted to share my perspective and see how others think about it and why they have these thoughts. That's the entire point why I asked, that's all. Calm down.

"Why are you so hostile", maybe take a couple dozen steps back, and think about how, maybe, people have had to deal with the same line of thinking you present ad-nauseum in the past and have little to no patience for having to play the same damn game with uninformed people all the time.

Listen to people, and maybe try less to be "right".