• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I've been provided with the thread where Royalan made that post, and I'm currently still going through it.

But one thing I found right away that the post that's currently being passed around IS NOT THE COMPLETE POST ROYALAN WROTE. More than half of it has been cut off.

j7dXrea.png

As I said, I will continue to search though the thread in hopes of seeing royalan's full stance on this before I give my opinion on what royalan wrote or how he wrote it, but at the very least, you have a complete picture of the thread that is causing so much discord. I will cross post this for visibility.

It doesn't matter. Saying asexuality doesn't have an equal role in the struggle, no matter the excuse, is bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It would need to be a very structured approach, and when tensions and emotions are running this high I don't think ANYONE has the capacity to manage that kind of discussion.

I can't help but feel like any way a "administrative feedback forum" COULD be implemented wouldn't be enough for some people. But maybe I'm just too far back from the mod staff nowadays so it's hard for me to visualize how it could work if done well.
Whoever takes the money from the ads and era clear should use those funds to manage it. Hire someone if you had to.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that all of the staff here are volunteers, but I'd wager if you are staff, you should be capable of essentially removing yourself and only act within guidelines and context set by the situation and site.

And of course people aren't going to be pleased 100%, but it feels like without such threads as the one in EtcEra right now, voices go unheard because it is all directed to the "Contact Us" page.

Of course. I don't disagree at all. I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T be done. I'm just saying that the discussion would need to be curated in such a way that some of the people asking for total transparency would find it to still be too restrictive. You can't simply have an "open season for feedback" thread.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I've been provided with the thread where Royalan made that post, and I'm currently still going through it.

But one thing I found right away that the post that's currently being passed around IS NOT THE COMPLETE POST ROYALAN WROTE. More than half of it has been cut off.

j7dXrea.png

As I said, I will continue to search though the thread in hopes of seeing royalan's full stance on this before I give my opinion on what royalan wrote or how he wrote it, but at the very least, you have a complete picture of the thread that is causing so much discord. I will cross post this for visibility.
Thank you for posting the whole message, it's really is not a good thing to accuse someone without the full context.

With that said, it really doesn't make their argument any better. IT IS NOT A CONTEST ON WHO IS MORE OPPRESSED! Ace people have a lot do deal with regards to how society views them without having to deal this disgusting gatekeeping.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Nepenthe I know youre getting bombarded with messages and ! appreciate you actually taking the time to interact with the community but I just wanna know how mods are chosen?

It seems for every you we have a couple of...meh ones. Is it based on engagement or good behavior, a mix? Or is it just random selection? Don't feel obligated to answer.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

j7dXrea.png

Royalan pulling oppression Olympics is a good look how? That thought process is horseshit, from one gay man to another let me just now say that flat out. He has completely lost any sort of trust and his borderline vindictive, petty responses itt have only made it worse.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I cannot answer yours or anyone else's questions, and for that I apologize. I literally wasn't involved in any way with that banning. I'm not even sure of the timeline between their posting of it and the actual action itself since I have nothing to look back to in regards to logs on Yukiko's profile (that's the result of removing actions). I agree though; sudden bans aren't going to help! It's why I told the staff not to intervene in this conversation, because you deserve someone to talk to you as best they can.

I can't speak to anyone else but I'm glad you've been active and watching this thread.

I suspect I do not speak for only myself when I say it's frustrating that most other mods are not responding to these concerns.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course. I don't disagree at all. I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T be done. I'm just saying that the discussion would need to be curated in such a way that some of the people asking for total transparency would find it to still be too restrictive. You can't simply have an "open season for feedback" thread.

I think you can! You just need to have windows for it! And I agree that some people will never be happy with any sort of solution.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter what the full post is, you can't say you "don't have a problem" with ace people being in, but then say say they don't experience the same amount of struggle. It immediately sets a tone of you looking down on someone, and it is also feels like they are gate keeping.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The question then becomes, how do you control a discussion like that? Do you put a moratorium on new members posting in the thread to prevent bad faith actors from creating accounts just to vent personal vendettas in public? How do you guide a discussion like that without it immediately descending into chaos?

More dialogue is a good thing but there has to be a way to manage it that doesn't just turn it into a bunch of people with gripes against each other or specific staff members sniping at each other. That kind of discussion will turn toxic and then nuclear VERY quickly unless it's curated in a very particular way.
These are all good questions that I won't pretend I have the perfect answers to off the top of my head, but Era has been needing to have this sustained conversation for years. And to a large degree guiding conversations is a collective responsibility, one that has been weakened with how over-moderated era in general has become. The balance has fallen far too heavily to one side.

I see nothing wrong with that (although to be fair I don't think the rest of the forum is ignoring this). But why multiple threads? What would be the subjects of each?

That sounds fine with me!

I cannot answer yours or anyone else's questions, and for that I apologize. I literally wasn't involved in any way with that banning. I'm not even sure of the timeline between their posting of it and the actual action itself since I have nothing to look back to in regards to logs on Yukiko's profile (that's the result of removing actions). I agree though; sudden bans aren't going to help! It's why I told the staff not to intervene in this conversation, because you deserve someone to talk to you as best they can.
Right, that's basically the purpose of the thread I posted.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can! You just need to have windows for it! And I agree that some people will never be happy with any sort of solution.

I hope you're right. I just dread the thought of a completely unrestricted wild west thread - I've seen it happen in other communities, where people basically use the call for feedback as open season to vent all of their pent up frustration against specific users or even against particular staff members or subcommunities, and it basically just becomes a bunch of drama grenades flying in every direction, and well-intentioned posters could get caught in the crossfire.

Like remz said, you'd really need to have a completely impartial third party manage it and decide which cases to take and which ones to skip, and you'd HAVE to pay that person to do it. It's not the kind of gig for a volunteer to do.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

j7dXrea.png

The other half isn't helping, it's just doubling down.
Literally nobody is saying that asexual people are facing the same thing as T, L, G or B people. In fact, T people are not facing what L people are facing is not the same as G people are facing is not the same as B people are facing is not the same as Q people are facing. And I is facing different, partially overlapping s stuff still.

Royalans point here is one also shared by Terfs, shared by "LGB Alliance" people that then, later, turned out to also hate the B very much. I mean, yeah, none of the letters faces the exact same thing.

But. The reason it's an umbrella is not watering anything down, it's symbolically standing together against cisheteronormative bullshit. And tbh, I rather stand with people that face issues by the same source in different ways rather than posture how they're watering me down, but maybe that's just me.

The issue with Royalans post isn't saying that the issues are different, it's saying that Asexuality is watering his struggle down, and then doubling down and saying it's trivializing queer identities.
It's really not. Nor are trans people trivializing women's issues, by the way.

Oct 25, 2017
Royalan pulling oppression Olympics is a good look how? That thought process is horseshit, from one gay man to another let me just now say that flat out. He has completely lost any sort of trust and his borderline vindictive, petty responses itt have only made it worse.

Yeah. It's really odd that the post has been edited, but I already suspected that he was pulling that argument in the first place, as that's what the "putting our struggles on equal levels is insulting" crowd seems to operate on.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I used to witness a lot of arguing in the LGBT community about whether or not asexuals should be accepted as equals... we have a community that should be a safe space and we have a group of people who feel isolated, misunderstood, and invisible because of their (lack of) sexual identity. Should we have to quantify the amount of violence and dead bodies their group has suffered before reaching a hand out?

So what if asexual people categorically do face less struggle than gay people? (I don't think you can meaningfully quantify that.) Does it matter? (No.) They still need solidarity and support. As a bisexual, we should never turn our backs on those kinds of people. (That's not getting into asexuals who are also gay or trans...)

Oct 25, 2017
China

j7dXrea.png

Then he responds with damn Oppression Olympics!!! This gets worse and worse by the minute.

Oct 25, 2017
Or, think of it as if royalan had been arguing that non-binary people are trivializing trans struggles. It's a lot of the same t hing. It's just bigotry masked as victimhood.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Now more than ever, Free KetKat.

If staff has any sense at all, they've already internalized every single word of what SweetNicole has had to share before they formulate their next response.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you're right. I just dread the thought of a completely unrestricted wild west thread - I've seen it happen in other communities, where people basically use the call for feedback as open season to vent all of their pent up frustration against specific users or even against particular staff members or subcommunities, and it basically just becomes a bunch of drama grenades flying in every direction, and well-intentioned posters could get caught in the crossfire.

Like remz said, you'd really need to have a completely impartial third party manage it and decide which cases to take and which ones to skip, and you'd HAVE to pay that person to do it. It's not the kind of gig for a volunteer to do.

As you suggested, it would have to restricted to a format and require a certain level of evidence, etc.

Regarding the second part - Maybe? I love my job as an incident manager because it is problem solving, and I love doing that. I'd do it on my free time. I'm sure people like me exist who would like to look into things on behalf of the community and report on such issues to resolve them.

We want this place to be the best that it can be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I used to witness a lot of arguing in the LGBT community about whether or not asexuals should be accepted as equals... we have a community that should be a safe space and we have a group of people who feel isolated, misunderstood, and invisible because of their (lack of) sexual identity. Should we have to quantify the amount of violence and dead bodies their group has suffered before reaching a hand out?

What if asexual people categorically do face less struggle than gay people? (I don't think you can meaningfully quantify that.) Does it matter? (No.) They still need solidarity and support. As a bisexual, we should never turn our backs on those kinds of people. (That's not getting into asexuals who are also gay or trans...)

Exactly. It's not a race. It's not a decathlon between marginalized communities to see whose pain is the biggest and thus the most valid. All of us suffer in our own ways, and we should be building each other up instead of contributing to the same kinds of erasure that so often comes from majority groups who don't want to acknowledge that pain.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Insofar as getting a unique topic out of them I don't think that's gonna happen right now unless we make an active effort to discuss the multitude of issues going on across the threads and pinpoint topics of discussion in each thread. I think that'd be ideal, but for now I think it's important that this be easily viewed and unable to be ignored. We're on the cusp of a discourse that can help shape ERA into a better place, and that starts with showcasing the problems so that everyone is on board and informed.
Okay then, that sounds good. Before I got to bed (it's 2 now), I will present this to staff. I think it might help to try and move things around and rename things, or make a second Trans Awareness week thread because—

The problem is THIS thread is the Trans Awareness Week thread. It also happens to be THIS thread where all the complaints about moderation are happening, including subjects that are not about the trans community directly.
This is valid too. This is Trans Awareness week. Y'all should have a space to celebrate and be proud.

Alright, alright. I do appreciate that you're actually taking the hits here without much info and you're probably not involved.

Something you might have the logs for is right here:
AtDi89m.png

Why did this happen?
The nature of that post was indeed conspiratorial. I hope I've at least planted the seed that the awareness and involvement of individual staff members in relation to Ketkat's banning, forum history, and Discord history is unique to each person. I'm only two steps ahead of all of you. I've been waking up and coming online to new developments. So swathing all of staff with the brush that we're in on some scheme to protect one person was never going to fly (even though I understand where the sentiments are coming from). Just as well, Brock also has a previous record, and in general, the length and severity of a member's record will play into how any individual post will be actioned.

I can't speak to anyone else but I'm glad you've been active and watching this thread.

I suspect I do not speak for only myself when I say it's frustrating that most other mods are not responding to these concerns.
I know this is frustrating as shit. I've been frustrated. I've been stressed, mad, I've cried. I hope my admittance of emotion doesn't come across as me trying to make staff the epicenter of this, because I know how annoying that shit is. But part of the lack of excess staff involvement is three-fold: 1) They have a more emotional involvement in this than I do, and have already been burned by some of the responses they've received in the context of their personal relationships with Ketkat. Ironically, I don't have much to lose by posting here, so that's why I wanted to volunteer my time here. 2.) They are worried that their involvement would inflame things further, 3) They're sleeping. It's 2:30AM on the east coast right now.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

I would suggest the following:
  • The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

edit: fixed a typo

Just wanted to quote this excellent post on the matter since it's been mentioned again.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, that sounds good. Before I got to bed (it's 2 now), I will present this to staff. I think it might help to try and move things around and rename things, or make a second Trans Awareness week thread because—

This is valid too. This is Trans Awareness week. Y'all should have a space to celebrate and be proud.

The nature of that post was indeed conspiratorial. I hope I've at least planted the seed that the awareness and involvement of individual staff members in relation to Ketkat's banning, forum history, and Discord history is unique to each person. I'm only two steps ahead of all of you. I've been waking up and coming online to new developments. So swathing all of staff with the brush that we're in on some scheme to protect one person was never going to fly (even though I understand where the sentiments are coming from). Just as well, Brock also has a previous record, and in general, the length and severity of a member's record will play into how any individual post will be actioned.

I know this is frustrating as shit. I've been frustrated. I've been stressed, mad, I've cried. I hope my admittance of emotion doesn't come across as me trying to make staff the epicenter of this, because I know how annoying that shit is. But part of the lack of excess staff involvement is three-fold: 1) They have a more emotional involvement in this than I do, and have already been burned by some of the responses they've received in the context of their personal relationships with Ketkat. Ironically, I don't have much to lose by posting here, so that's why I wanted to volunteer my time here. 2.) They are worried that their involvement would inflame things further, 3) They're sleeping. It's 2:30AM on the east coast right now.

Boo

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As you suggested, it would have to restricted to a format and require a certain level of evidence, etc.

Regarding the second part - Maybe? I love my job as an incident manager because it is problem solving, and I love doing that. I'd do it on my free time. I'm sure people like me exist who would like to look into things on behalf of the community and report on such issues to resolve them.

We want this place to be the best that it can be.

Of course. I understand. And like I said, I'm not staff anymore - and I haven't been for a while - so mostly I just want to make sure that the community is able to weather those kinds of discussions without people turning on each other. Perhaps I'm just overly cautious, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really appreciate this. Of all the mods here you're the one stepping up.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah, I'd recommend the threat discussing new moderation procedures should have limits based on post count and inactivity (someone lookin' to start some shit with an account that got a couple hundred posts on gaming side that hasn't posted in two months shouldn't be allowed in) and maybe discussing trans and other minority issues in those spoiler blocks only people who've looked at the thread can see. That wouldn't be enough but it would help.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
this seems like a red warning light to me. Gotta convince the horde to speak up in clear wrong doing.
Staff will speak as individuals in their own time. I can tell them to come in here all I want (and please trust that I have), but for some of them that's going to be harder than it will for someone like me. I- on my own terms- wanted to speak up because you all needed someone to ask questions to and vent to, and it was the least I could give you. No staff post or any of that. We have to talk, if nothing else.

Now before this post gets more badly written and rambly, just letting people know that I'm going to bed. I am exhausted, as I'm sure all of you are. Again, I wanted to just do what I could and give you what people were asking for, which is someone higher up to talk to and some answers. I know full and well they're not satisfactory answers, but I can only give you what I actually know. I apologize that it's not enough.

Please know that I want TransERA to stay. I want them to be apart of this community, to speak their minds and to give insight and understanding in the spaces that need it most. I want them to feel comfortable. The least you all deserve is to feel like unvalued. Fuck that; if nothing else, know that I value you.

You are free to continue responding to any and all of my posts however you please. Even if you're angry and want to insult me, it's okay. Please vent. I will start responding to more posts when I get to work in the morning, although know it may not be as quick on the draw until I get home, which will be around 7PM EST. Take care.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd recommend the threat discussing new moderation procedures should have limits based on post count and inactivity (someone lookin' to start some shit with an account that got a couple hundred posts on gaming side that hasn't posted in two months shouldn't be allowed in) and maybe discussing trans and other minority issues in those spoiler blocks only people who've looked at the thread can see. That wouldn't be enough but it would help.
Honestly, I think that thread would be best off being a complaint box format (send in PMs) that's filtered by a third party to be answered and discussed. Even basing it on post count and activity could turn into a mess.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's hard to overstate my disappointment in the staff, here. This is a complete betrayal of the trans community, the wider lgbtq+ community, and the foundations of this board. Y'all threaten to undo us with this shit.

At this point, all bans criticizing staff from both of these threads must be overturned. Royalan must step down. This is the bare minimum.

Trans rights are human rights.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Please know that I want TransERA to stay. I want them to be apart of this community, to speak their minds and to give insight and understanding in the spaces that need it most.

The only way this is going to happen is if Ketkat is unbanned with a public apology. There isn't any compromise. We are past the point of no return. The mods are going to have to take this on the chin if they don't want the trans community to feel disenfranchised.

I don't know what Ketkat saw or what she alluded to, but this is the reality of the situation regarding the community. The transparency has not been up to what users, especially trans users, want. We are way past "don't ask questions, this is private."

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
My interest in this forum is entirely predicated on it being a safe space for all kinds of marginalized people, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The concern that it will stop being a safe space if the mod team doesn't instantly right the ship is very real. Very soon your privacy concerns will take on a whole new tier of irrelevancy because I suspect that if this shit doesn't get straightened out soon, y'all gonna end up like Evilore with nothing to moderate.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Staff will speak as individuals in their own time. I can tell them to come in here all I want (and please trust that I have), but for some of them that's going to be harder than it will for someone like me. I- on my own terms- wanted to speak up because you all needed someone to ask questions to and vent to, and it was the least I could give you. No staff post or any of that. We have to talk, if nothing else.

Now before this post gets more badly written and rambly, just letting people know that I'm going to bed. I am exhausted, as I'm sure all of you are. Again, I wanted to just do what I could and give you what people were asking for, which is someone higher up to talk to and some answers. I know full and well they're not satisfactory answers, but I can only give you what I actually know. I apologize that it's not enough.

Please know that I want TransERA to stay. I want them to be apart of this community, to speak their minds and to give insight and understanding in the spaces that need it most. I want them to feel comfortable. The least you all deserve is to feel like unvalued. Fuck that; if nothing else, know that I value you.

You are free to continue responding to any and all of my posts however you please. Even if you're angry and want to insult me, it's okay. Please vent. I will start responding to more posts when I get to work in the morning, although know it may not be as quick on the draw until I get home, which will be around 7PM EST. Take care.
With everything I do appreciate that you are in here and just honestly talking to people. If anything I feel like what you are doing now is what a lot of us want to see from more mods and staff as a whole. It's not always sometime that can be done but just having an honest conversation can really help even if there are parts that people disagree on.

Get some rest and, more importantly, thank you!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just disappointed beyond belief, and angry, to wake up to this situation getting even worse somehow. the staff as a whole has handled this as badly and incompetently as possible, and unless something big is forthcoming, i have no hope for things improving. incredible pettiness on display from staff here. sweetnicole is right, staff serves the community, not the other way around. fix your shit.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
The other half isn't helping, it's just doubling down.
Literally nobody is saying that asexual people are facing the same thing as T, L, G or B people. In fact, T people are not facing what L people are facing is not the same as G people are facing is not the same as B people are facing is not the same as Q people are facing. And I is facing different, partially overlapping s stuff still.
Even with G and L there are still battles. Gay men complaining that WLW get more representation in video games than MLM. Gay women complaining that MLM get more movies and TV shows made about them than WLW. There's always someone looking to throw others under the bus so they can be the ultimate underdog. It's disgusting. We need to be lifting each other up.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It's interesting to observe which staff members seem to serve as avatars of whichever spirit the administration is choosing to cast this whole clusterfuck in at a particular moment. Whenever a conciliatory tone is desired, we see certain "faces". Whenever a neutral, "just the facts" tone is sought, we see other "faces". And whenever a heavy-handed, authoritative tone is required, we see still others.

And it's interesting to note not just who the individual parties are in which scheme, but what title they hold. Mods, for example, are typically more actively engaging with the user base; whereas we relatively seldom seem to see admins much, unless it is to shut down discussions and personify the ethic of the ban-hammer. From my perspective, it's quite clear that the admins have opted to position themselves as the aristocratic authors of judgment, seated high and behind a bench, as it were, with mods acting as bailiffs.

Is this the structure we want running this forum? Is this kind of stair-stepped, insulated heirarchy amicable to the unity and transparency this community was originally founded to represent? What has happened to the protocol of admins (as so generously and deftly embodied in the person of SweetNicole) ensuring the delicate balance between presiding over the community, and serving it is ably-maintained; soliciting respect, while simultaneously commiserating and demonstrating solidarity with the member base? Why do we now perceive a severe and pronounced rigidity in the disposition between titled and untitled users, whereas it seems we once saw a more congenial, democratic relationship?

For the love of all that is good and ResetERA, can we please repair and redress this harmful schism with some good faith, provably-constructive actions on the part of ERA administration? (The list of recommended steps I and other posters keep quoting from that locked thread is a good start.) It's past time to turn ego aside and acknowledge the need for swift and comprehensive reform, vitally from the "top" down. Enough with the face-saving gymnastics, which are only proving to dig your hole deeper and incite disgust.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this blew up. Ironic that it came from a complain that the moderation is too light on some bigoted content too.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to observe which staff members seem to serve as avatars of whichever spirit the administration is choosing to cast this whole clusterfuck in at a particular moment. Whenever a conciliatory tone is desired, we see certain "faces". Whenever a neutral, "just the facts" tone is sought, we see other "faces". And whenever a heavy-handed, authoritative tone is required, we see still others.

And it's interesting to note not just who the individual parties are in which scheme, but what title they hold. Mods, for example, are typically more actually engaging with the user base; whereas we relatively seldom seem to see admins much, unless it is to shut down discussions and personify the ethic of the ban-hammer. From my perspective, it's quite clear that the admins have opted to position themselves as the aristocratic authors of judgment, seated high and behind a bench, as it were, with mods acting as bailiffs.

Is this the structure we want running this forum? Is this kind of stair-stepped, insulated heirarchy amicable to the unity and transparency this community was originally founded to represent? What has happened to the protocol of admins (as so generously embodied in the person of SweetNicole) ensuring the delicate balance between presiding over the community, and serving it is ably-maintained; soliciting respect, while simultaneously commiserating and demonstrating solidarity with the member base? Why do we now perceive a severe and pronounced rigidity in the disposition between titled and untitled users, whereas it seems we once saw a more congenial, democratic relationship?

For the love of all that is good and ResetERA, can we please repair and redress this harmful schism with some good faith, provably-constructive actions on the part of ERA administration? (The list of recommended steps I and other posters keep quoting from that locked thread is a good start.) It's past time to turn ego aside and acknowledge the need for swift and comprehensive reform, vitally from the "top" down.
as you say, this is a top down problem, and nothing indicates that admins have any desire for transparency or even serving the community. they seem to like the power above all else and rarely. deign to show their faces or take accountability. instead we get mods who had nothing to do with these shit decisions apologizing on staff's behalf. admins would probably rather double down and ban literally all the critics than admit fault. which is what they will have to do, because this won't go away.

so your call, admins