• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Looked away for a bit and it seems this, rightfully, blew up even further. With wherever this goes from here, you have my support.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Well, that hate site (it has to do with a term from New Zealand ) just screen grabbed me. Hello Nazis. Us Germans hate you.
At least I warned you all. And again, no Russian. I mean private information.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This is absolutely disgusting behavior by the staff involved.

I'd also like to point that one of our SmashEra community members, Brock Reiher, was perma-banned for calling out the staff in the thread that Ket was also banned. (probably by the acephobic mods)

AtDi89m.png

It rings all the more true now after these revelations.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

I'd also like to point that one of our SmashEra community members, Brock Reiher, was perma-banned for calling out the staff in the thread that Ket was also banned. (probably by the acephobic mods)

AtDi89m.png

makes the bans in that thread seem really suspect now

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Need help improving those incident reports and root cause analysis? Might add some Fishbone diagrams to that, some historical data, some trend analysis, some risk analysis, and some correction and prevention actions to it, because the punishment was completely unwarranted for.

Communication is good. Don't silence discussions. Thank you for looking into it!

I would love to write an official incident report on this. Would make this entire situation a lot cleaner if what actually happened was documented and written up. Then people can read it and see what actually is happening.

its really good to see you in the thread, hobbes

Of course, I know I have a history on Era with some pretty bad EGS takes and the occasional fuck up of posting banned content, but I would people know that they can trust me to back them up when human rights are being fucking questioned.

That shit don't fly with me.

Hobbes, thank you.

Agreed across the board.

Of course.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got to love all those threads that were locked but the bait response thread is still going fine.

Ironically my thread wasn't locked:

But I think I came in at a point where the staff were realizing that locking threads was mimicking evilore. Either that or I'm blocked by the mod that is doing the locking.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
A few things I would remind people as the evening hours begin in earnest:

To the community: Even on our best days when I was on staff, it took staff time to respond to issues. An issue of this magnitude, it will take time for them to respond. There is still time for them to respond correctly, now. Please have a bit of patience and wait for their response rather than demanding they rush things. You can still talk about this problem and how we got here, but rushing is not prudent. We want them to get this right. It is also late hours of the night for most of us, and many people, community and staff included would be greatly served by sleeping on this.

To the staff: Although things are bad right now, the community doesn't want to leave. People are looking for you to give them a reason to stay. They're looking for you to give them a reason to hope. They're looking for you to show them with their actions that things are going to be okay in the long run, even if they're not okay right now. Please, please, do not waste this opportunity.

And, I know posting your trans policies publicly is scary. Yes, it is possible it could be abused by bad faith actors. But I worry more about the community than I do some bad faith actors right now. The damage has already been done, and it will require extreme solutions to restore things to normal. The choice seems to be between rebuilding faith with the community or dealing with some bad faith actors. For me, it is clear which is the right decision is out of those options, and I earnestly hope it is clear for you too.
I do think that we need to give the staff the appropriate time to respond. Many people could be asleep etc. It definitely seems like attention has been brought to the matter so I would let the mods respond tomorrow

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really wish you were still the administrator here.
If I were her, or any of the mods or admins, today or in times past, I wouldn't be tomorrow. Too much trouble rewarded with too much harassment and animosity. I know this isn't a place right now that's very sympathetic to the mod side of things, but I frankly don't think it's worth it. Everything you do will always anger someone and some people don't forgive easily and know how to hold a grudge. I respect Sweetnicole's choice to depart from the team and would never pressure her or anyone else to step back into that role, or stay in it a moment longer than they desire to. It's shit.
i used to think i would make for a terrible mod but at this point im not so sure
Godspeed, Fat4all. You're a better dog than I.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

AtDi89m.png

The "so they ban you" topped with the "Banned (duration pending)" is quite a combo.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Posting here to provide whatever solidarity I can for the trans community here. I don't post a lot but I saw what happened in the South Park thread and the resulting thread and am sad that it's all managed to spiral this far out of control. I hope that some sort of resolution in favor of the community here can be reached but with how everythings gone down so far I'm not exactly 100% hopeful. All I can do I suppose is again say that I stand with you all as best I can and tell you that there's plenty of us in the greater community that support you.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever owns the site likely has a pretty nice income. Transparency, and all.
Hell, the site that I've mentioned above that melted down charged less than half the cost of Era Clear for it's ad-clearing subscription. There's really no reason for Era Clear to be as incredibly expensive as it is for what's being offered unless someone's padding their pockets with it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wish I could freely express my thoughts on the matter but I'm afraid I'll be banned.

All I will say is that I support the trans community on the forum and I share their disappointment.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank you ALL for having my back

Heromanz thank you friend for listening

Hey staff

You're cowards
Nice to have you back!

Hello,

Someone messaged me to bring this to my attention. As I understand the situation, a leading community figure in the trans era community was banned for mentioning that chats exist regarding a moderator who expressed discrimination of Asexuals in a private staff-run Discord server/channel.

Most importantly, the allegation alleges that this discrimination was not challenged and even agreed with by other(s). Below are a list of questions I request Administration to answer as best as possible to allow a cleaner discussion regarding the issue.

1. Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
  2. If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
  3. What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
  4. Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
  5. Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
  6. How was the investigation conducted?
  7. What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?

I believe moderation has quite a lot of blanks to fill regarding this incident. After all, I'm an incident manager, this is my job, and I feel like the reasoning provided is not good enough. If I were to write an Incident Report based on the information available to me from both staff and non-staff, it would be sent back to me, with the reason that the Root Cause Analysis is not good enough and does not warrant the punishment given.

With the way that it is currently framed, you have someone who is essentially a whistleblower that became banned BECAUSE they brought forth issues with moderation and discrimination against Asexuals. I want to believe that Era is not this forum of dog shit. I want to believe that all of these Twitter messages I get are wrong, and this place is a safe space for progressive thinking and inclusiveness. Currently, I'm not so sure.

Moderation needs to correct the current view point with something substantial.

P.S.

Lets not do what some people do in the LGBT+ community and talk about how you're part of the community and then belittle and discriminate against the other letters that it stands for.
Another awesome post. Thank you for this.

AtDi89m.png

I was going to bring this up myself. The staff tried hard to cover their asses. The "so they ban you" combo with the ban message is too bittersweet.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this thread for a while now too perplexed to say anything. I just want this to be resolved the right way so I can go back to thinking ERA is a safe place for queer folks because I don't want this to be just A Place Where I Talk About Video Games. If Trans individuals find comfort and solidarity in this forum because it was designed from day one to be a space for solidarity, then by god let's fucking get on that and do everything in our power not to undermine it to the best of our abilities.

Mods of ERA, you have the power and the responsibility to make this right. We're not asking you to be gods or superhuman, we're not asking you to be perfect and without error, we just ask of you to understand the mistakes you've made with this topic so that we can make ERA the better place it was always meant to be.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
If I were her, or any of the mods or admins, today or in times past, I wouldn't be tomorrow. Too much trouble rewarded with too much harassment and animosity. I know this isn't a place right now that's very sympathetic to the mod side of things, but I frankly don't think it's worth it. Everything you do will always anger someone and some people don't forgive easily and know how to hold a grudge. I respect Sweetnicole's choice to depart from the team and would never pressure her or anyone else to step back into that role, or stay in it a moment longer than they desire to. It's shit.

It wasn't an attempt to pressure her, it was just my way of saying I miss her presence as an admin here.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said by other, smarter people but much love to the trans, NB, and ace members of resetera

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime and offer my two cents on the ongoing situation. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former administrator for this website, and a transgender person myself. I also own and co-run the TransEra community discord. With that context out of the way, let's dig into things.

First of all, I think the mod post in this thread misunderstands what the actual issue is from the community's perspective. The community's issue is not with leaks. The community's issue is not with investigations. The community's issue is with how the situation was handled.

It is one thing to ban a member for leaking something that was private. I think most people can understand that logic, even if they don't necessarily agree with the decision. Where you lost people is when you decide to start talking about investigating the issue seriously, as if there was ever going to be any kind of chat log or read receipt in Discord that provided a smoking gun. The entire 'investigation' could never be more than he said, she said, for that's all that Discord provides you.

I am very frustrated to see that the staff has a willingness to take a swing at a banned member who can no longer speak for herself here in a thread about transgender awareness, no less. The sheer lack of awareness is mind boggling. To take a shot by saying, 'Ketkat understood the importance of privacy in safe spaces, as she has championed this herself,' isn't just low, it is quite frankly pathetic. Why would ever think it is ok to take a snide shot at someone like this in an official capacity? I cannot believe that there is an administrator on staff who approved this. It makes staff look like the pettiest people on the planet, taking a shot at a former trans member of the community loved by the community in a thread about the trans community.

The community doesn't care about how the ResetEra staff feels right now. It isn't about the ResetEra staff feeling comfortable, it is about the ResetEra community feeling comfortable. Ultimately, the staff serves the community, not the other way around. When I was on staff, I was always willing to make myself uncomfortable if it meant making the community more comfortable, even if it meant having hard conversations that lasted long hours. That's part of being a volunteer, and that is part of serving. It isn't about you, the staff, it is about us, the community. That is something that has absolutely been lost as time has gone on.

There's a lot more I could say on my feelings, but my feelings are ultimately moot at this point, and so are words. What really matters at this point is actions. ResetEra staff, whether you agree with them or not (and I hope you do), the community feels extremely wronged right now. People are hurting, and they're hurting because you've hurt them. Now is the time to show that y'all really are the good people I know and worked alongside for years. Do the right thing, and show it with your words, not with your actions.

I would suggest the following:
  • The moderator who made the post that has been linked around this thread needs to resign. In order for the community to move on and to heal, sometimes it is necessary for oneself to step aside. In this case, it is time for you to step aside and allow the healing process to begin.
  • An apology should be posted for this whole situation. In this apology, you should clearly outline the steps that you take when evaluating transphobic content or other content that is anti-LGBT. There are plenty of us in the community that are former staff and could as easily articulate these rules, but you need to step forward and tell the community what they are. And then, you have to let the community hold you accountable to them. That's how you will open the door for the community to restore trust in you, by enforcing this policy (that you already have) not with your words, but with your actions.
  • There needs to be a greater diversification in the administration table. This is something that has been great in the past, but after most of the original administration left, is severely lacking now. Please correct this decision with serious administration changes that will result in better conversations in the administration room with voices who are more concerned about doing right by the community than doing right by the moderation rulebook.
  • And, this really should be a given, but at this point, Ketkat should be unbanned. Right or wrong, it doesn't really matter how you feel about it. It will be a good starting sign to restorting the trust between the community and staff. If Ketkat breaks the rules again, that's on her, but right now, it doesn't really matter. What matters is keeping the community together and restoring the trust that has been broken.

This is by no means the only things that have to happen or the only things that can happen, but I would call this a good start. It is hard. It is going to not be particularly fun for anyone involved. But, at the end of the day, it is worth it because this community and ResetEra are worth it. I urge this to be done at all haste.

If you have any questions for me, my inboxes are always open. If others have suggestions or additions to this list they'd like to see, please feel free to mention them, this was simply the first few big points that came to my mind.

Thanks,
Nicole

edit: fixed a typo

Thank you for this post, I can only add my agreement.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone needs a place to vent or needs to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to DM me. If you are unable to, please feel free to hit me up on discord - Hobbesenero#0296

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

AtDi89m.png

Brock's ban was completely undeserved. Banning him for "conspiracy theories", and then it turns out one of the mods did have something to hide after all. He was right.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Understanding people is what makes things start to get better, not disregarding people or trying to quantify what an "equal role in the struggle" is.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if people are asking for any Discord, then here are the ones I mod/admin.

My Little Pony Era
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic the Gathering Era
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

AtDi89m.png

*This* is what happened to Brock??

Holy hell. I'm so disappointed in the staff here all around. To the point where using the word "disappointed" feels like giving them a slap on the wrist. Disgusted is probably a better word for it.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Brock's ban was completely undeserved. Banning him for "conspiracy theories", and then it turns out one of the mods did have something to hide after all. He was right.

Right, like... even if it's not to the degree that was guessed at in the "conspiracy theory", in retrospect: was it unfair to question that?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to everyone here that was out there raising awareness about this. This is something that should upset every poster here, and I'm glad locked threads and dumb bans didn't stop y'all.

Also, that Brock ban is shitty as all hell. Get your shit together admin staff.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I trust the administrators and moderators that are not involved in this situation to do the right thing.

Please. Let's show that we're a better place than that *other* shithole.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Lady Bow was it confirmed Brock's ban was a perma? It still says "duration pending" but I assume it's a perma...

Oct 25, 2017

AtDi89m.png

What the hell, staff. Get your shit together now.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
I trust the administrators and moderators that are not involved in this situation to do the right thing.

Please, let's show that we're a better place than that *other* shithole.

I think you forgot the /s

unfortunately I sincerely doubt anything will be done except more defending of the staff and silencing while they "promise us they're getting better owo"