• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Pretty wild how there hasn't been a peep from staff in close to 3 hours now but they're obviously still around to lock threads and the like. If y'all are hoping for this whole thing to blow over, it's not.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
accept your fate
I'll chime in and say that whatever has been flying around about this conversation is largely overstated or over-exaggerated. Granted, I heard it about it second hand, and I have not seen any evidence that the conversation existed or the exact details of said conversation beyond a second-hand account of it. There's a reason I intentionally left all reference to what you're referencing out of my main post.
Is that so? Well, it's not like I have direct information. Regardless the response has been a shitshow and that certainly does need to be 180'd.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Pretty much Deffers. I would be VERY CAREFUL to divulge privat information in this thread. Literal Neo-Nazis are taking notes right now. Well done mods. KitKat is about to become a martyr for both allies and people who would rather see us all dead.

You all have a discord it seems. Use that one.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, *any* Discord?

Because I know a Discord with about 80 people that was created when a ton of people jumped ship from another forum that had it's own issues with moderation not being transparent or fair in their dealings with the community. It's not as active as the big several thousand person Discords out there to be sure, but the people there are very genuine and caring and a not insignificant percentage of our group is trans or non-binary.

As a more general response to this topic, I still need to read through everything that's going on but from what I've read so far this is all very disappointing and, again, partially reminds me of a huge mess that functionally destroyed the community on another forum I used to post on. It's not a nice thing to flash back to, to say the least. I can only hope that the moderators that are responsible for all this are ousted and that the rest of the staff will use this as an opportunity to increase transparency and speak with the community as equals instead of making the mistake of towing the line.

I just sort of meant the LGBTQ+ circles around here, I generally don't involve myself in a lot of Era community threads so I'm not as connected with everyone as I feel I should be

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
av89ApA.png

I love this thread, and I love you all. I made an avatar for those that need it. I'll make more and take requests.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand why some people think subsections of their own (already externally vilified) community are beneath them. It is so utterly self-defeating, it drives me crazy.
Bi erasure, TERFs, acephobes. It's all too common. Even in the trans community, we've got trans people erasing non-binary and other gender non-conforming identities.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How embarrassing is it that a thread that should have been celebrating trans folk is mired in controversy with the weeks leading up to it comprising of multiple bans and thread locks. It's mind blowing to me that a member like Ketkat would get disproportionately punished for exposing frankly questionable behaviour. She has been an incredible pillar and voice for the trans and mental health communities.

This place was supposed to be different, it was supposed to be more inclusive and more transparent. Every staff response regarding these calls for improvement has been devoid of empathy and has been completely tone deaf. Era's trans and ace members deserve far better than that.

I can't speak for those members, they've done a far better job of articulating their points and suggesting improvements or changes anyway (please take Nicole's post seriously). All I can say is that these changes begin with unbanning Ketkat.

I hope that the staff takes the multitude of posts in this thread seriously and doesn't just lock this thread in a couple days because Trans Awareness Week ends on the 20th...

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was surprised and yet I'm not surprised by how this was handled.

It's not the first time we lacked transparency from mods. (yet claiming we are transparent. Only thing transparent is the lie). There was also how bans regards of downplaying 'isms and phobias were given a slap on the wrist for a while (and it bit back hard). It was hard to think "everything is alright, the mods have the communities best interests in mind" when you have situations like this cropping up.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I know there are LGBT mods... and that we are being told that they had some say in some of these responses and actions… Either tell me their judgment is suspect, or they are worried about not towing a line

At least one LGBT mod was outed as acephobic.

It's reflective of an unfortunate truth that some LGBT people think of themselves as above others. "Fuck you, got mine" logic.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I just sort of meant the LGBTQ+ circles around here, I generally don't involve myself in a lot of Era community threads so I'm not as connected with everyone as I feel I should be
I gotcha. Hope someone's got your back on that in that case. Still, if anyone needs a place to duck down, the offer's still open for me to go and see if I can find/get a server link. This isn't my first rodeo on all this, and I know what it feels like for a community to feel like the people that are supposed to be watching over them are fighting against them instead.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

Someone messaged me to bring this to my attention. As I understand the situation, a leading community figure in the trans era community was banned for mentioning that chats exist regarding a moderator who expressed discrimination of Asexuals in a private staff-run Discord server/channel.

Most importantly, the allegation alleges that this discrimination was not challenged and even agreed with by other(s). Below are a list of questions I request Administration to answer as best as possible to allow a cleaner discussion regarding the issue.

1. Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
  2. If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
  3. What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
  4. Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
  5. Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
  6. How was the investigation conducted?
  7. What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?

I believe moderation has quite a lot of blanks to fill regarding this incident. After all, I'm an incident manager, this is my job, and I feel like the reasoning provided is not good enough. If I were to write an Incident Report based on the information available to me from both staff and non-staff, it would be sent back to me, with the reason that the Root Cause Analysis is not good enough and does not warrant the punishment given.

With the way that it is currently framed, you have someone who is essentially a whistleblower that became banned BECAUSE they brought forth issues with moderation and discrimination against Asexuals. I want to believe that Era is not this forum of dog shit. I want to believe that all of these Twitter messages I get are wrong, and this place is a safe space for progressive thinking and inclusiveness. Currently, I'm not so sure.

Moderation needs to correct the current view point with something substantial.

P.S.

Lets not do what some people do in the LGBT+ community and talk about how you're part of the community and then belittle and discriminate against the other letters that it stands for.

Oct 25, 2017
I support mods that are of this community, and have been a part of this community -- and *known* by this community. Also, mods that respect the very rules they ask the members of the forum to follow. I know Nicole from day 1 and trust her appraisal of this situation, and I also believe that we should listen to the community, especially since transparency is the one thing this website has always lacked despite it being one of the founding principles from the first moment our shoddy discord was formed once GAF splintered and we started knocking ideas back and forth about what this site should be. Frankly, trust is lost, and the route to restoring it will be through the community.

Trans rights are LGBTQA rights, and LGBTQA rights are human rights.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, it took until I saw the locked threads to become aware & learn about this awfulness brewing in ResetEra.

To my trans & ace folks, you are valid. You have my support.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From top to bottom the staff's behavior and actions has been shit from the go

I feel for you, TransEra. You all deserve better.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Trans rights are human rights.

Aces are ace.

You have my support. I stay out of the political threads as much as possible, but this is way too much.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I believe moderation has quite a lot of blanks to fill regarding this incident. After all, I'm an incident manager, this is my job, and I feel like the reasoning provided is not good enough. If I were to write an Incident Report based on the information available to me from both staff and non-staff, it would be sent back to me, with the reason that the Root Cause Analysis is not good enough and does not warrant the punishment given.
Need help improving those incident reports and root cause analysis? Might add some Fishbone diagrams to that, some historical data, some trend analysis, some risk analysis, and some correction and prevention actions to it, because the punishment was completely unwarranted for.

Communication is good. Don't silence discussion. Thank you for looking into it! You should become the big mod! ;)

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Hello,

Someone messaged me to bring this to my attention. As I understand the situation, a leading community figure in the trans era community was banned for mentioning that chats exist regarding a moderator who expressed discrimination of Asexuals in a private staff-run Discord server/channel.

Most importantly, the allegation alleges that this discrimination was not challenged and even agreed with by other(s). Below are a list of questions I request Administration to answer as best as possible to allow a cleaner discussion regarding the issue.

2. If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
  3. What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
  7. What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?

With the way that it is currently framed, you have someone who is essentially a whistleblower that became banned BECAUSE they brought forth issues with moderation and discrimination against Asexuals. I want to believe that Era is not this forum of dog shit. I want to believe that all of these Twitter messages I get are wrong, and this place is a safe space for progressive thinking and inclusiveness. Currently, I'm not so sure.

P.S.

Lets not do what some people do in the LGBT+ community and talk about how you're part of the community and then belittle and discriminate against the other letters that it stands for.
its really good to see you in the thread, hobbes

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing im competent at is shitposting and making bad photoshops

and describing a Terminator threesome

i have no administrative qualifications at all

having community buy-in is generally a desirable quality for moderation/administration at least

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Hello,

P.S.

Hobbes, thank you.

Agreed across the board.