• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I went to a lot of trouble to write this up, remain tactful, aim for constructive... and I think it's kinda shitty to clap it shut faster than anyone could have conceivably even have read it.

In case it's just dumped into the abyss while we're in lockdown mode (seriously?):

Era has a culture problem. One of the more salient ones is that moderation philosophy largely remains a holdover from pre-nightmare Gaf. Accountability is a lovely sentiment that I appreciate our mods espousing, but with Era's present structure, it's toothless. That's more than a little problem on a forum this large and unwieldy, where personal relationships can only guarantee so much. So, I want to workshop ideas on how to address this issue and make peers of the mods once more. Some of them come from experiences on other (sometimes ancient boards), others are more improvisational:

1. Sanction board: per-user thread that collates their history of warnings, bans, why, and the reasoning behind extensions. Don't obfuscate behind a shell account.
  2. Formal ban appeals: to be attended to not by the mod that instituted the ban, particularly when considering long or permanent bans, as a hedge against cronyism, over-reaction, or plain error. Include appeals to the sanction board.
  3. Mod nominations: you want better coverage of the forum's corners, more diverse voices, and a less adversarial relationship? Here's a way how. Nominate on a regular cycle such that existing mods can also feel free to step down without shortchanging anyone.
  4. Mod recalls: because, let's be honest. Sometimes we get some stinkers and that's just mundane reality when it comes to running a place like this. Make nominations for recall anonymous through a bot akin to the Giftbot, and set a percentile threshold to carry the recall or not.
  5. No blanket staff posts: Append each name individually to an advisory post, not in aggregate. If you want to be regarded as like us, post like us instead of erecting a procedural wall of perfect mod unity (it mostly serves to stifle discussion and cement the perspective that you're not our peers).
  6. Forget moderation of console warring/port begging/store warz that falls below the point of personal attacks. It's all trivial consumerist faff and coming down on it so hard is a solution in search of a problem. It's busywork, not valuable work.
  7. Shed the Gaf vestiges: seriously, so much of this crud is just hanging on because of simple inertia. Do we need member castes? Do we need four canonical subforums? Do we need to mandate OTs that expire at 20k posts?
  8. No more heavy-handed, "This is the last word on that, the united, formless, shapeless, and undivided mod mass decrees it" tosh. Discussions taper off and end. Don't throw weight around just to have the last word.
  9. More openness: discussion of the site's culture, future, and problems can't solely remain the prerogative of the mod team. Open discussion is the only reasonable way to make things better, work conciliation, and invest the entire forum in better outcomes.
  10. Proportion: accusations of bigotry can't be simply played off with stonewalling and blanket accusations of a criminal offense committed by the sanctioned member. It's irresponsible, it's insulting, and perfectly underlines the cultural problem that is driving people away and embittering members against a mod team that increasingly looks out of touch and out of hand.
  11. Conciliation: full and open discussions of crises like this one, including giving the accused and their witnesses the chance to speak for and defend themselves, and full ownership of mistakes, blind-spots, failings (both on the account of the mods and the accused). The social expectation to cop to fuckups should be expected of mods too, and not just as something that is nice to have when it happens.

So, these are just a few things that I've been thinking on, and I'd like to talk about where we go from here. Openly. Because it's overdue.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't been able to get any invites to the Discords. I'm really sorry to keep bringing it up, but could somebody help me with this? I'd really appreciate it.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
You mean this flag?

11M3K2WNIqL._SX355_.jpg

Works as well as any.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I went to a lot of trouble to write this up, remain tactful, aim for constructive... and I think it's kinda shitty to clap it shut faster than anyone could have conceivably even have read it.

It's really revealing that they're in damage control mode and have done nothing whatsoever in terms of actual, reasonable approaches to this. That your thread was locked is a good clue that the person or persons locking the threads has no interest in transparency.

Where do I sign up for a Ketkat avatar? I'm so frustrated with this site right now

Just steal one from another user :v

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So, as these mods going to get kicked off the staff or are people just going to make excuses for them? Pretty sure no one's really going to stand for anything other than cutting out the cancer ya know

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look, any mod, I understand that you're likely not all on the same page about this, and you're probably frightened by the deserved backblow. But if you don't start communicating things are going to spiral out of control damn quick.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this stuff was going down (I didn't even notice this thread; my brain auto-skips stickied posts on every site) and still only have cursory understanding of events but yo what the FUCK

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I wish you luck, this sort of mod behavior is pretty wild.

residentgrigo said:
The whole Era is is an accepting and welcoming place has always been a myth if you actually follow the site even as a lurker. This mod infraction is pretty wild though. The community will eat itself if this is how it´s future is supposed to look like though.

You're not an ally. Go away.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Reading posts from trans members expressing they don't feel safe is really disheartening. They should feel safe. And the priority should've been to discuss it with the community on ways to make things better/safer for them.

Instead they're here stressed out, thinking of where to go because they've not been offered any sort of relief after a pillar of the community was removed forcefully.

The way I see it, the posts full of fear, anger and confusion are an olive branch. They're calling on the moderation team to do better.

There's a history here of broken trust, and it is not regained by platitudes. It's actions. People are tired of having to contend with micro-aggressions on this website. Of having their identity be trampled on. Please, listen to them! A lot of them are ostracized in their homes and communities and THIS SITE could be the only place that becomes a lifeline. Don't take this from us.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, the mods have been bad from day 1 - the issues just didn't become obvious until later. I still remember when they said new rules would be decided on by the community and then they just brought over GAF's banned games list without a discussion. Regardless of your thoughts on the list, that was fishy af.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
People do deserve safe spaces where they can be wrong to learn to be better, but I don't feel the staff is giving us the courtesy either, going immediately to full perma ban and locking the topic where we can talk about any of it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Look, any mod, I understand that you're likely not all on the same page about this, and you're probably frightened by the deserved backblow. But if you don't start communicating things are going to spiral out of control damn quick.

Oh it's far too late for that. Once that Royalan post got revealed, the shit rightly hit the fan, and that fan is not going to be turned off anytime soon.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unban KetKat.

Demod and permaban Royalan, the other acephobic mod, Morrigan, and all other staff involved.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they're necessarily trying to quarantine the thread, more that they are trying to figure out how exactly to respond to the growing discontent and are leaving this open until they make a decision.
That's exactly what EvilLore and his team did back on GAF, and it was a terrible idea. It takes 10 seconds for someone to come in and say that mistakes have been made, lift the ban, and say they'll have a more detailed write-up later about why this fuckup happened and how they are going to avoid again in the future.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mod rotation desperately needs to happen. With what happened on NeoGAF you'd think maybe there would be some foresight with that

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Had no idea this stuff was going down (I didn't even notice this thread; my brain auto-skips stickied posts on every site) and still only have cursory understanding of events but yo what the FUCK

That's what they are probably aiming for with the locks of all other threads pertaining to the issue. Better for the staff to keep it contained to here. It's likely the only reason this thread isn't closed right now.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what EvilLore and his team did back on GAF, and it was a terrible idea. It takes 10 seconds for someone to come in and say that mistakes have been made, lift the ban, and say they'll have a more detailed write-up later about why this fuckup happened and how they are going to avoid again in the future.
It really is giving me EvilLore crisis response vibes.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
That's never been the moderation style of this forum. Despite initial promises. We are to kowtow to them. Not the other way around.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
We could use some help with making more threads about this. If mods are gonna lock 'em as fast as they can be posted we may as well go whole hog.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Dissapointed that the staff team is this ignorant and incompetent. You don't lock a thread without leaving a comment. Common sense and good moderation would agree with that.. guess that isn't here. Shame

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
edit: nvm

All I'll say is I admired Royalan in the past for his steadfastness in the old site by championing inclusivity without capacity for accepting bullshit and I hope that quality wins out in how he handles this situation on a personal level.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you all are going through this. This reminds me a lot of the Etika/mental health thread. This is nuts.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it's a goddamn meme at this point about how awful Era is to trans people and moderation has the gall to ban a super prominent member for barely referencing problematic comments made by a staff member in order to cover their own asses shouldn't be surprising really. Era will keep continuing on to perpetuate the visage of being ultra woke, when really its a bunch of nerdy ass white liberal men that cower the second they personally have to deal with anything that isn't "normal". Trash ass response, trash ass message, and trash ass staff. Go ahead and ban idrc since I barely ever log on anyway.

I'd say you should be ashamed of yourselves but clearly you can't see beyond the shelter of your privileges.
This cannot stand. This wasn't a self requested ban. Un ban yuki you cowards. And step out of the shadows and say something