• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Man I can't wait to see what happens with this Genie character in Aladdin, I wonder if he'll make a bunch of pop culture references and then be freed from his horrible prison at the end. You know what they say about Genies, once they're out... they're very easily confined back into the bottle.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for 2033 when people are posting "Stop spoiling The Last of Us!!!" on whatever form of message boards still exist.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
People should mark their spoilers, regardless. It's stupid and inconsiderate to do otherwise. Why is this even a question? Definite bans for people who put spoilers in thread titles and shaming youtubers who thumbnail them. Why would the games age change any of that? Mark spoilers: it's simple.
Yep. It's so simple indeed but of course that's too much to ask on Era.

Edit: anyone that wants to quote this to argue don't bother, this is my last post ITT.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Sometimes it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. I'm extremely excited to experience the same feelings and emotions I did back in 1997, but with modern graphics and story-telling conventions.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Do they??? You think some 13 year old kid now who was born in 2006 who might wanna try this game at the same age I was when I played FFVII in 98 has to know the plot twists?

I approve of this, OP. From now on, because of the remake, at least on Era we should treat FFVII like we would any other new game regarding spoilers.

You have my sword.
If they want to play it at 13, they have had the opportunity to play FFVII on PS1, PC and PS4 for years, and X1 and Switch for nearly a month as well. If a child gave a shit about wanting to play it, they would have. Children are impulsive, and the game is cheap.

Last edited:

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Earlier someone said GOT came out in 1991, but it really came out in 1996. This is totally irrelevant, but it was going to eat away at me.

As for whether or not we should spoil FF7 it is a weird thing. Since people who are not old enough to have played it, or are going to wait for the remake there is a real possibility that they might not know the entire plot. It's also very easy for anyone to play it now. It's on almost every platform under the sun for super cheap.

If someone were worried about being spoiled though I would imagine that they would take the approach of people who avoid spoilers now and avoid all FF7 related content. I guess I would just expect to be spoiled when looking into something that's over 20 years old on the Internet.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember Warcraft 3 is getting a remaster. Remember then, don't mention Arthas's fate; we have to take into consideration people who haven't played the game... Despite Wrath of the Lich King was released in 2008.

Sometimes it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey.
Exactly. You may know what happens, but what is exciting is to learn how did that happen.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Yep. It's so simple indeed but of course that's too much to ask on Era.

It is indeed too much to ask for people to step around spoilers for a 20-year-old game. I can't believe that this is even being discussed in the first place. Do people put spoiler tags around Star Wars spoilers? Or Anna Karenina and Romeo & Juliet, for whom perhaps their most famous scene is the very end? No. They don't. Because spoilers don't dictate their enjoyment of the story.

Anyway, the game is still available on many platforms and if they're so worried about spoilers, they can play it now.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Aerith dies, the "real" Sephiroth's is actually in the Northern Crater where he summons Meteor, Cloud was never SOLDIER instead his broken mind adapted himself to the memories of Zack Fair, Tifa and Cloud sleep together, Cait Sith is Reeve, Rufus seemingly dies to a WEAPON when he uses the Mako Cannon to destroy it and Sephiroth's barrier around the N.Crater, Holy was too late and its struggle with Meteor destroys Midgard, it is implied humanity eventually goes extinct in the ending.

The game is 22 years old. It has been reissued half a dozen times. It is currently available on all modern consoles, most smart phones and PCs.

It is unreasonable to expect everyone to jump through hoops while discussing the remake to avoid "spoiling" it.

The journey is the destination.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Besides the death of Aerith, I feel that nothing else in this game gets constantly spoiled.

Hell, I know that the ending involves Sephiroth and a meteor and yet I still don't know what's the ending of the game

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am happy to mark any plot points new to the remake as spoilers, as long as they really are added or changed from the original game.

I will also be openly discussing any plot points that were in the original though, because those are not spoilers.

Nov 13, 2017
Guys, GUYS

The Count is secretly Edmond Dantes!

giphy.gif

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
What? Aerith's death in FFVII is one of the most famous and iconic moments in all of gaming. People (with at least a remote interest in video games) who haven't even played it know about it. This is like saying people can't "spoil" or discuss the fact the main character in Psycho gets murdered only halfway through the film or that Norman Bates is the real killer because others may not have seen it.

ivb

Oct 28, 2017
That's really... You don't watch movies, read books or play games when you know the twists? You can only enjoy something if you know nothing about what will happen? So you can't watch a movie if you read the book?

No, but it affects my interest in specific pieces of media that revolve around the literal events they display. If an author decides to kill off a character on a specific point of the story, this means that he wants you to experience that in this specific moment, not before starting the aforementioned media. I'm not saying anything more than this. I know that there is more about media than specific plot points. But spoiling them has a clear negative impact.

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This is something I've been thinking about ever since the Remake was announced. Obviously it goes without saying that a big chunk of the fans who played the original are going to scoop up the new version when it comes out, no matter how loudly some will complain about the changes made.

But it's also abundantly clear that there's going to be a significant chunk of people who never touched FFVII, let alone RPGs, that will go into this game out of curiosity.

It's been accepted for the longest time that Aerith's Death is one of the most openly spoiled moments in videogame history, kind of like other spoilers for other big franchises like Star Wars or Harry Potter. Obviously there's going to be a fair share of newbies going into FFVII and at least knowing about Aerith's fate through osmosis.

Even so...I've seen for myself plenty of online posts from people who 100% have no idea that it happens.

That's why I want to try and make a community plea that we stop openly spoiling Aerith's Death, in addition to any other FFVII spoilers involving the characters, story, and so on.

I'm aware this is a tall order, it's not like we can control media outlets, journalists, meme lords and the thousands of other people still mentioning that moment to this day. But if there's a chance to spread awareness in order to lessen awareness of this moment, then a whole new generation of people can fall in love with Final Fantasy VII again and experience the same heartbreak so many of us felt back in 1997. Based on the community reactions I've witnessed online, people are already positively receptive towards Aerith's unveiling in today's trailer, both old fans and new fans alike. We owe it to the folks going in blind, scant as they may be, to let them experience FFVII for the first time.

At the very least it's the courteous thing to do.

Aerith dies?!?!? YOU RUINED IT FOR ME!!

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
There's no way that Aeris's death won't be spoiled all to hell, but there are a lot of other twists in the game that I think we would do well to not spoil.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to play it at 13, they have had the opportunity to play FFVII on PS1, PC and PS4 for years, and X1 and Switch for nearly a year as well. If a child gave a shit about wanting to play it, they would have. Children are impulsive, and the game is cheap.
ANd you think a ton of 13 year olds who were born in 2006 will feel compelled to seek out a 90s JRPG and sit through it without nostalgia goggles? I'm sure some could but not many. This is the same reason why so many more of our generation, say, saw The Mummy movie from 1999 with Brendan Frasier and not the black and white Boris Karlof versión from decades ago.

Oct 28, 2017
I knew Aeris died on my first playthrough of the game only like 2 years after it first came out.

It didn't ruin it at all for me and her death still kinda shocked me cuz it happened way earlier in the story than I would've thought.

The actual journey matters, not just the top level "spoiler."

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The game is 20 years old. No one is going to fucking pretend that these obviously known details need spoiler tags.

Spoiler culture os the dumbest shit.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
ANd you think a ton of 13 year olds who were born in 2006 will feel compelled to seek out a 90s JRPG and sit through it without nostalgia goggles? I'm sure some could but not many. This is the same reason why so many more of our generation, say, saw The Mummy movie from 1999 with Brendan Frasier and not the black and white Boris Karlof versión from decades ago.
Do you think someone would bitch about spoilers about a remake of the Boris Karlof version in 2019 though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't think it's realistic to request spoilers not be posted on a game that is not only 20+ years old (TWENTY!) but also has been played by millions upon millions of gamers then and ever since. Released and re-released on multiple platforms along the way.

I know there will be a generation of gamers for whom it is new to, but...nah. That's not how it works.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Not really got any arguments against the subject. No problem with it really.

I found it funny that the GAME ITSELF spoils you on Aerith's death with a big picture of her dead on the back cover. Even as a kid without the internet I had it spoiled in 1997 lol

KupoCheer

Jan 29, 2018
I definitely got annoyed when I saw the Kotaku article that hints at it in the Headline and outright says it in the text beneath it on the same, main page. At least make people click on it. I understand the argument that it's an old game and it's a widely known spoiler, but the game is also 22 years old - older than a lot of gamers these days - and it's just now receiving an extensive overhaul of a remake. Can you at least not put the spoilers where everyone can see them without choosing to?

Don't also get me started on the Game of Thrones stuff. That's an ongoing show for one more week now. Open spoilers about it have zero excuse being out there.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I think the problem with this kind of popular franchises is that people spoil you regardless of wether you are looking into that conversation.

For example, if you know you want to experience a game or movie and your friend starts talking about it, you can turn down that conversation. This thread? Just don't enter it. But normally you can't control it and the conversation wasn't even about it, they drop the info just because.
It has to be normal from the way we talk already about history to show lessons, but translates weirdly when learning a story is something so crafted.

I think I had the Star Wars twist spoiled by the Simpsons doing an scene about it.

For Harry Potter, I got spoiled by the f*cking autofill of youtube's search bar while I wasn't even looking for anything Harry Potter-related. And then I got another spoiler because someone doing a game review said "this is a shocking development" (or something of the sort) and then out of nowhere he puts a death scene on the screen.

Luckily this results in one paying more attention to the little interactions and scenes that you didn't expect because your whole idea of the game/movie was based on that spoiler that would come at some point / you already left behind. But it would have been nice to just don't get spoiled in the first place.

If anything, try to do a marked spoilers when the remake actually comes out because it might have differences.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This thread reminds me of a co-worker who chastised us for talking about Game of Thrones because he hadn't watched any of the show yet. We all just laughed at him and carried on with our conversation.

Also PAL gamers would remember that Aerith's death was basically spoiled by the game's box art anyway.

243319-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-back-cover.jpg
That doesn't spoil anything without context.

Asking for Aeris death to remain a secret is stupid, but saying Square spoiled it themselves is not the correct argument to make. They didn't, not with that boxart.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
look i get it. I was spoiled on FFVII myself at like age 10. and i don't personally subscribe to that "but you had X years!" BS. people got shit to do and other entertainment to consume and i know most of you have a giant backlog that never ends, probably with old af games in there too. so i try not to spoil shit even when it's old.

but it's impossible for FFVII, let's face it. even if everybody stopped spoiling that death, there are still all those random places where it'll pop up. best we can hope for is that experiencing that death in HD with full VA will actually hit the feels for the ones that got spoiled first time around.