• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine projecting so much you call me "egocentric" for asking you not to spoil things for others (I played through FFVII two decades ago, thank you very much. Twice, in fact).

No, really; imagine that, because I can't. Try to imagine calling someone egocentric for saying "let's be nice to another person". I mean... what? :D
So you're concerned about an unknown group of people who haven't played Final Fantasy VII but would potentially being upset by knowing Aerith dies beforehand? Move on.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine projecting so much you call me "egocentric" for asking you not to spoil things for others (I played through FFVII two decades ago, thank you very much. Twice, in fact).

No, really; imagine that, because I can't. Try to imagine calling someone egocentric for saying "let's be nice to another person". I mean... what? :D

Are you seriously suggesting that openly talking about the plot of media that are decades old flies in the face of "let's be nice to another person"? lmfao

Now we're tying morals to this, absolutely hilarious b

• Knowing that someone is about to consume of a piece of media for the first time and purposefully spoiling it for them = dick move
  • Carelessly dropping spoilers of a piece of media that just released (I.E. Endgame) = dick move
  • Talking with your friends or people online about old pieces of media and making jokey references about it = normal thing that normal people do about normal, popular things

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Getting people to stop spoiling Aerith's death is like trying to get people to stop spoiling that Darth Vader is Luke's father. That cat's never being put back in the bag.
It's ruined forever for me. I may never touch the remake unless it's exceptionally great.

Deleted member 11290

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
215535297_B2j5j-2100x20000.jpg

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/05/as-regards-spoilification

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly speaking, does anyone ever really talk about plot specifics outside of literally the most famous death scene in a video game?
Almost never, honestly. Aerith's death isn't even really the biggest twist of the game, I'd say that's the truth behind Cloud's identity/backstory. But the Aerith scene is the one that gets all the attention because it's *the* big iconic moment of the game

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Imagine thinking that Aeris' death is even the most important plot point in the game. There's actual megatons before and after that her death relies on to even have significance.

Fuck man, her death is on disc ONE.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
its a remake of a 20+ year old game, the original was released on multiple platforms (PC, Mobile, Switch, PS, XB)...we are way past spoiler territory

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Almost never, honestly. Aerith's death isn't even really the biggest twist of the game, I'd say that's the truth behind Cloud's identity/backstory. But the Aerith scene is the one that gets all the attention because it's *the* big iconic moment of the game
It didn't do much for me tbh except make me mad that I couldn't use her anymore. I'd put quite a bit of time into leveling her up before that, and then boom, tough luck! :P Knowing that beforehand is almost more helpful so that you don't waste more time than you need to (which is what I did on my second playthrough).

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Here's something that may surprise you: there may be people who weren't alive 20 years ago who might want to try this game out.

Star Wars has been around for what, 40+ years? I'm sure at some point little Timmy wanted to check the movie out only to have his asshole dad don a Darth Vader helmet and start spouting "I am your father". If all the fans stopped meme'ing that line, it could probably be obscure again.

Yeah I know that's borderline impossible, but as big as FFVII is, it's not Star Wars big. I think it's less impossible to curb the open spoilers.
Naw doggy. The games been available to them all their life. I'd they want to dodge spoilers the onus is on them not me.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing this got to 800+ posts. This is like going to see the Titanic and not knowing if it sinks. The game is one of the most prevalent video games over the last 23 years. People saying no spoilers are being ridiculous at this point. It's 23 years. If you're wanting no spoilers for this game I'd avoid all content online related to it. Nothing is safe as this game has been out for over two decades.

QUOTE="Redfox088, post: 20654958, member: 44291"]Naw doggy. The games been available to them all their life. I'd they want to dodge spoilers the onus is on them not me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Aerith dying is referenced to far and wide to avoid, but even then, I only played the game myself last year and there's a LOT of surprises that no one really talks about. I think things are fine as they are now, context is really the key to FF7 narratively.

Sephiroth, for example, is waaaay more nightmarish in the game than any portrayal after.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Fun Facts:
- FF7 was re-released 3 times in the past 5 months (PS Classic, XBone, Switch)
- the US instruction book spoils every party member, yes even the two optional/missable ones, that theres a whole world outside of Midgar, and that you'll be getting a plane, airship, and submarine over the course of your adventure
- the Switch launch tralier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjSpVRa3rQ) is nothing but cutscenes from the game starting from THE ENDING and working its way back to the start

Pro-Tip: only jerks put spoilers in thread titles

I haven't played FFVII because the original game has aged like piss and I'm waiting for the remake. I would appreciate not being spoiled.

Aerith is fair game though. Everyone and their mother knows this spoiler if they've ever touched a PlayStation controller. I just don't want other key segments/plot details spoiled for me. Like, Aerith is literally the only plot beat I know, so everything else is a legitimate mystery.
Ya never played the game yet assert its aged like piss? Wha? Also what're ya doing in a thread with unmarked spoilers if ya dun wanna be spoiled?

This will be a drive by post. I haven't played FF7 and am extremely excited about the remake.

I would also wish people will start acting like this is a new game (of sort) , and be considerate about spoilers.
I agree that it is a new game, however I'd say its not a new story. There may well be additional characterization or minor new story elements but I dun think I'm reaching here in saying that the overall story will remain as-is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
giphy.gif

When keeping it woke goes wrong- sorry to say, but what's horrifying is not her gender reveal, but discovering her bathed in blood, holding a knife, next to the decapitated corpse of another camper.

The movie clearly frames the reveal of her penis as a horrifying twist. To act otherwise is to be willfully disingenuous.

https://www.horrorsociety.com/2017/11/25/time-talk-transphobia-horror-films/

And the films take it further, eliciting fear and disgust not only from the characters' acts of violence, but from their trans-ness. The most horrifying scene in Silence of the Lambs isn't an act of murder, but Buffalo Bill dancing to "Goodbye Horses" and tucking his penis between his legs. The shock ending of Sleepaway Camp is not a murder scene, but the reveal of Angela's penis. The message is very clearly sent that these characters are awful, not only because of their criminal acts, but because they do not conform to gender roles.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I understand the idea, but I don't agree.

The whole idea of a remake is that it's being remade from the original. If you want to say no spoilers about changes, sure, but let's not pretend like the original doesn't exist and hasn't been around for a long time. If people can't enjoy a piece of media because it's a remake and they already know the story, that's a personal problem, and one that would destroy wide swaths of media in every medium.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Ya never played the game yet assert its aged like piss? Wha? Also what're ya doing in a thread with unmarked spoilers if ya dun wanna be spoiled?
By "never played" I mean booted up on several occasions and been deeply put-off by how poorly it has aged before turning it off. I've never gotten more than 20 minutes into the game. That's not properly playing it.

As for your second question, that's easy: I'm not reading replies. Just offering my opinion as someone who has never really played the game, since it seems like a relevant perspective given what the thread is about.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Unless you can come up with a way to sensor 20 + years of internet history, this is a lost cause.
People seem to forget most of everything that goes online is semi permanent.
Anyone that googles ff7 is going to get hit with decades of spoilers wrapped in linkin Park themed music videos and late 90s, early 00s message boards.

Last edited:

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Anybody hear about this old ass movie called Citizen Kane? It's crazy good cinematography for the time. I've literally never heard about it. Only about half way through, but I really hope his last words actually mean something significant.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gaming side: It's Time We Stopped Openly Spoiling Final Fantasy VII

OT: Spoil key Game of Thrones moment in thread title

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is spoiler culture to the max. It came out more than 20 years, it's ok.

Of course if you know someone that it's going to play it for the first time don't spoil them. Otherwise you can't stop people from discussing it openly in a gaming forum. That's insane.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about spoilers but my fiance doesn't know any of the twists from the game beyond the fact that Cloud suffers from mental illness (and that's just because I brought that up myself one time). I'd love to see her reaction on a first playthrough.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about spoilers but my fiance doesn't know any of the twists from the game beyond the fact that Cloud suffers from mental illness (and that's just because I brought that up myself one time). I'd love to see her reaction on a first playthrough.
And that isn't even much of a twist, because Cloud is clearly freaking the fuck out, shaking his head around, and hearing voices right from the reactor bombing at the beginning.

All the reasons why are the real spoilers.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I don't remember anything about the ending of the game?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
why would you have to mind what you say when this is a discussion forum and the game has been out for 22 years?

you either cared enough to play it at some point for all these years and platforms or not. everything in life must be a spoiler for some people and hilariously so since most of it they will never see any ways. there's plenty I haven't read, watched, or played, and while I maybe will one day, I don't care enough about them like I do other things, and I am not mad if I come across a spoiler for it and definitely don't expect people to tip toe around it when talking about something.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
Sometimes you just have to let something go. 20+ year old spoilers for instance. Rosebud was a sled, y'all.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
The first thing I found out about ff7 was Aerith's death. I only played ff9 as a kid and didn't have full access to the internet at home until 2007 or so. By that point her death was talked about in countless top 10s and gaming videos.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
But it's also abundantly clear that there's going to be a significant chunk of people who never touched FFVII, let alone RPGs, that will go into this game out of curiosity.

No, I'm never going to tip toe around the Internet just because someone couldn't bother to play the original at this point, especially when it was announced in 2015. Why be excited or curious about a remake of a game they've never touched? I'm going to discuss it as I have always done it. This is getting ridiculous.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
It's like restricting people to talk about Beauty and the Beast (or Aladdin) plot line before the live action remake. A bit ridiculous IMO.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm not being held hostage by people who were not around to play the game back then. You people are and spoiler culture are so ridiculous. No one is allowed to talk about anything ever becasue someone born tomorry has yet to experience the thing from 20+ years ago. Get real. I'm not saying i will go up to kids and others saying rosebud was his sled, Vader is Luke's father, and Aerith dies but JFC, if I'm not allowed to openly talk about shit others refused to, could not, or were not alive to experience when it was going on.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People should mark their spoilers, regardless. It's stupid and inconsiderate to do otherwise. Why is this even a question? Definite bans for people who put spoilers in thread titles and shaming youtubers who thumbnail them. Why would the games age change any of that? Mark spoilers: it's simple.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So we never talk openly about anything ever again because, obviously, there will be people born after it came out?

Seriously?
You can ask first if everyone is up to speed if you're talking with people irl.
On an internet board like this one, there are open spoiler threads for this, so that's great for people who want to completely let loose.. And outside of that, there are spoiler tags that literally require one second to add. I don't really see the hassle.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can ask first if everyone is up to speed if you're talking with people irl.
On an internet board like this one, there are open spoiler threads for this, so that's great for people who want to completely let loose.. And outside of that, there are spoiler tags that literally require one second to add. I don't really see the hassle.

So we'd need two threads for every subject, one with open spoilers in case anyone brings anything up at all that anyone might consider a spoiler and one with tagged spoilers so they can safely post in them?

And I s'pose we'd need to tag the spoilers so people know what's being spoiled, otherwise they might click on something that spoils something they haven't seen.

And we're not just talking stuff that came out a week or a month ago, but literally anything that has ever come out? Every movie, television show, every comic book or cartoon? This would also include any and all reaction images too, right? Can't use "that's bait" from Mad Max because it's actually a huge spoiler, for example.

Do we need spoiler tags in movies too? Spiderman mentions scenes in a few movies between Civil War, Homecoming and Infinity War that could be considered spoilers.