• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
Agreed. There's a lot of foolish takes in this thread.

EDIT: And in general, there are too many people just acting like assholes in this thread. Like it's cool if you disagree, but the amount of shitposting is disappointing.
It's not shitposting. As has been pointed out, 'Aeris dies' is the 'Vader is Luke's father' of gaming twists. Or would you also argue that people should spoiler tag the original Star Wars trilogy?

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Here's the thing. I would understand someone getting mad at spoilers if a game was stuck on one platform, was not talked about for a long time and had no support until decades later. Like I can understand being mad at Killer7 or 999 spoilers because they are niche games that are rarely talked about except in gaming forums (and even then they have little discussion).

FFVII released on almost everything. It is constantly lauded as one of the best Final Fantasies and JRPGs time and time again by almost everyone. What's someone excuse for not playing it at this point?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yall just shot yourselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about internet spoiler culture (I'm an expert), but empathy and sympathy are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real life where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the internet by spoiling Aeris' death, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that is repentance.

What this means is the everyone on the internet, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII on any device or platform (whether it's iOS, PS1, or PS4), nor will they purchase any of Square's older games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want but y'all have alienated an entire market by spoiling FFVII to everyone.

You should publicly apologize and stop spoiling FFVII or you can kiss your Episode 2 and 3 goodbye.
Uhm what? Pretty sure having things spoiled for a decades old game won't have a substantial impact on the game's sales, Mr. Internet Spoiler Culture Expert. lmao

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Again...The thread is marked [Unmarked Spoilers] which is the point. If you're going to openly talk about spoilers, just do the courtesy of warning others first.

The OP refers to two audiences: the group of people who've played FF7 before and the group of people who haven't. In a bid to cater to the second group, the OP suggests no more open spoilers for the game.

A bunch of people from the first group are saying this is nonsense, you can't put the genie in the bottle. (As someone from the second group, I actually agree; Aerith Dies is basically the video game equivalent of I Am Your Father at this point.) Presumably you'd have a bunch of people from the second group who could argue their case, except they can't because the thread says it has unmarked spoilers and so they can't come in here if they care about spoilers.

FWIW I've accepted that I'm just going to see FF7 spoilers. I already know the big one; I've known about it since before I cared about FF7. But the reason it took me this long to come into this thread was because I didn't want to unnecessarily spoil myself on anything else, and who the hell knows what people are talking about in this thread until you actually read it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Would you spoil jojo to someone who is watching the anime? It's a 1980s manga, why can't they be normal right?

This is the most idiotic excuse ever. There's a remake coming intended for new audiences. Respect that. If you can't, you're the one who's not normal.

I think there's a very vast difference between a manga whose series isn't even officially localized past it's fourth part and a 20 year old game that was localized on the spot,

If you're new to the franchise of course I'm not gonna spoil you but that's not an expectation I hold for a culture like this

The game is 20 years old and readily available on modern platforms

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Here's the thing. I would understand someone getting mad at spoilers if a game was stuck on one platform, was not talked about for a long time and had no support until decades later. Like I can understand being mad at Killer7 or 999 spoilers because they are niche games that are rarely talked about except in gaming forums (and even then they have little discussion).

FFVII released on almost everything. It is constantly lauded as one of the best Final Fantasies and JRPGs time and time again by almost everyone. What's someone excuse for not playing it at this point?

I've never played it, never wanted to on any platform it was available on that I owned because I hate the low poly visuals.

I want to play the remake because the CG like visuals appeal to me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this has been done for any other remake and the spoilers of this game are common knowledge, so that's a big "no" from me dawg.

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
"Stop spoiling the game!"

OP Literally spoils the game in the post.

This will be a good thread.

*Edit.. ah it said unmarked spoilers. I missed that. Regardless the statute of limitations on FF7 spoilers has long past. I'm actually expecting this game to subvert expectations since so many players already know generally what's going to happen. We shall see.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Game is 20 years old. The remake doesn't erase that. It's part of pop culture in a way.

EDIT: And yeah, you could've played the game. It's not like it's an obscure title that is hard to get by. It's one of the most famous games of all time. You can't put that back in the bottle.

LooseGoose717

Banned
May 9, 2019
I'm all for not spoiling a game's story, regardless of its age. But we have to consider that the remake may not follow the original story 1:1.

Better to err on the side of caution, though. Good thing I haven't beaten the game for myself yet, and the last time I saw a full playthrough was the early 2000's. =X

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Alright, I dunno why you don't want to play the original game but surely entering a thread that says "UNMARKED SPOILERS" was a bad idea.
Because it's old and doesn't hold up that well for people that haven't played it before? FF9 holds up well

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Folks, it's time to stop spoiler star wars.

I think it's too late now. The spoilers are ingrained in the culture

Deleted member 50949

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Because it's old and doesn't hold up that well for people that haven't played it before? FF9 holds up well
I don't really buy the "it's old" excuse. Plenty of people I know played it last year and liked it for what it is, so I guess it all depends on personal taste or how far they're willing to go to see if they liked it or not.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DwHsua-WoAA1_4Y.jpg
This.

Seriously though, expecting people to care about spoiler warnings for a 22 year old well known game is expecting to much. Next you will tell me Luke's father in SW shouldn't be spoiled.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
It's not even the same game. It will be drastically different and I'm guessing the story won't be even close to 1:1. This isn't like Super Mario Bros to All-Stars, this is a complete restructuring of the game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yall just shot yourselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about internet spoiler culture (I'm an expert), but empathy and sympathy are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real life where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the internet by spoiling Aeris' death, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that is repentance.

What this means is the everyone on the internet, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII on any device or platform (whether it's iOS, PS1, or PS4), nor will they purchase any of Square's older games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want but y'all have alienated an entire market by spoiling FFVII to everyone.

You should publicly apologize and stop spoiling FFVII or you can kiss your Episode 2 and 3 goodbye.
This post never makes me not smile.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are so goddamn heartless not abiding by this. How is it too much to ask to ban all discussion so I don't get accidentally spoiled when I join a ff7 discussion.
It's not that hard to be vague about things or spoiler tag them so I can still read everything I want on the internet. For god's sake let me eat my cake and have it too. Also thanks a lot for spoiling Aeriths death right in the OP.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Alright, I dunno why you don't want to play the original game but surely entering a thread that says "UNMARKED SPOILERS" was a bad idea.
See my edit.

I don't really care about the story spoilers posted in the OP, the OG game is ugly to me, visually speaking, obviously limited by that eras technology but still I don't play games I don't find visually appealing.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's too late now. The spoilers are ingrained in the culture

I think this is how I feel. I will spoiler tag plot points from a game when a remake for an old game or even for old games that don't have remakes, but I don't think it's really realistic to think that everyone would do this.

I mean... they do make it easy 'round here with a button just for spoiler tagging (it's the flag if you've been just typing []>left arrow>spoiler since now).

Deleted member 50949

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
See my edit.

I don't really care about the story spoilers posted in the OP, the OG game is ugly to me, visually speaking, obviously limited by that eras technology but still I don't play games I don't find visually appealing.
eh, fair enough, it has it's own appeal and it's significantly different from the remake but that's your personal choice. though you might like it if you gave it a shot imo.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think this is how I feel. I will spoiler tag plot points from a game when a remake for an old game or even for old games that don't have remakes, but I don't think it's really realistic to think that everyone would do this.

I mean... they do make it easy 'round here with a button just for spoiler tagging (it's the flag if you've been just typing []>left arrow>spoiler since now).

Yeah like if someone doesnt know the twist I wont go out of my way to spoil it, but trying to remove the Aeris death from public consciousness is like trying to make people forget that Princess Peach isn't ACTUALLY in that first castle in Super Mario Bros

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People are openly spoiling Infinity War only one year after release, I think it's fine to openly talk about one of the most popular video game ever.
Like, I'm not joking, Aerith's death is literally the "Luke I'm your father" of video games, not saying that it's as good or anything, but that even people that never played the game know this scene. Everyone knows. It's like the Fight Club's or The 6th Sense's twist, people know it even before watching it because everyone has heard about it at least once in his life.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I don't really buy the "it's old" excuse. Plenty of people I know played it last year and liked it for what it is, so I guess it all depends on personal taste or how far they're willing to go to see if they liked it or not.
I'm just saying. My friend has 0 interest in playing the original because turn based bores him (bores me too tbh lol), so he's excited to play the remake with this combat style.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think some people are really, really overestimating the number of "kids" who are itching to play this game.

Like, this remake isn't for a new generation; the people that already played it were the ones begging for it for so many years. If it sees new people brought into the fold, that's cool and all, but let's not pretend like that's the reason this project was ever given the green light in the first place.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Yeah, I am with you OP. Spoiling something has always been a dick move to me, regardless of popularity, cultural status or whatever metric people use. Using spoiler tags is way too hard for most people in here, apparently.

People who rage about spoilers are annoying too, don't get me wrong. It really isn't that important.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in playing FF VII because I know the twist and the game's major plot points. I was 6 when the game launched so I knew from those spoilers as back as I can remember.

This is one of the main reasons why I'm not that interested on the most popular media. I watched the original trilogy of Star Wars for the same reason and I don't plan to watch The Sixth Sense for it, too.

It's not, like, the Holly Bible guys. And yes, spoiler tags exist just for the purpose of speaking openly about stuff without spoiling other people.
The fact that you're calling it 'the twist' and somehow think you know the major plot points just shows how dead wrong you are though.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its all over social media, not just forums. Its kind of the reason I HAVE to watch new Game of Thrones episodes the moment they come out, because people on social media are disrespectful and cant help themselves but talk about it immediately.

True, even YouTube thumbnails. The best thing is to just avoid the Internet until you can watch other, now it's just life. No one is gonna die.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You have to realize how ego-centric it is to expect people to accommodate you for not seeing something like the old Star Wars films. Imagine being that person.

Imagine projecting so much you call me "egocentric" for asking you not to spoil things for others (I played through FFVII two decades ago, thank you very much. Twice, in fact).

No, really; imagine that, because I can't. Try to imagine calling someone egocentric for saying "let's be nice to another person". I mean... what? :D

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
Nah. I'm not going to go out of my way to spoil something for someone who has not played the game, but....if it happens it happens.

This got me thinking about the asshole who came out of the theater for Avengers and spoiled the ending to the line, leading to him being beat up or whatever. That is a real dick move, obviously, but how did they know he wasn't just lying as a joke? I think someone in said group who did the beatdown already knew from some other spoiler! That's my theory anyway. Lol.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Final Fantasy game in my entire life. I haven't played any video game not on a PC - including portable and phone games in 10 years, I went through a 4 year block of time where I made no video game and even I know about the big twist in FFVII. It's like the Luke I am Your Father of video games man.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm not interested in playing FF VII because I know the twist and the game's major plot points. I was 6 when the game launched so I knew from those spoilers as back as I can remember.

This is one of the main reasons why I'm not that interested on the most popular media. I watched the original trilogy of Star Wars for the same reason and I don't plan to watch The Sixth Sense for it, too.

It's not, like, the Holly Bible guys. And yes, spoiler tags exist just for the purpose of speaking openly about stuff without spoiling other people.
That's really... You don't watch movies, read books or play games when you know the twists? You can only enjoy something if you know nothing about what will happen? So you can't watch a movie if you read the book?

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
eh, fair enough, it has it's own appeal and it's significantly different from the remake but that's your personal choice. though you might like it if you gave it a shot imo.
Just wanna point out, it's not strictly a FFVII is ugly thing, it's more that when I got into gaming, 3D PS1 era games just didn't look good to me. I just don't think games with that look from that era hold up compared to the games when I really started gaming, which was middle of the PS2 era.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Nah. I'm not going to go out of my way to spoil something for someone who has not played the game, but....if it happens it happens.

Of course...going out of the way to spoil it would just signal that the person doing it is a dick. Holding someone accountable for saying something about a 20 year old game that popularized JRPG's in the west is beyond ridiculous.

Perfectly OK to expect someone to not be a dick about it, but it's pretty safe to assume that everyone knows about the game at this point, so speaking about it freely is the norm, not the deviation.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jokes on you, most people that played the game don't even know the twist and major plot points