• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Here's another spoiler: you can know the plot of a story and still enjoy it. "Surprise" is not the only (or even most important) element of good narrative.
this

if you get spoiled on some things, just don't sweat it

if the entire narrative can be ruined with a single spoiler then i find it wasn't very good in the first place

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend that has played every Final Fantasy game from 10 to 15 by growing up in the PS2 era and has played probably three times as many RPGs as me. I grew up a generation before him and got to play FF7. I didn't spoil it for him but I was amazed he still has no idea about Aerith dying. I think it's neat that a person can go so long and not know such a significant detail in the history of not just FF, but video games. I'll never spoil it for him. YouTube on the other hand will do that to him fairly soon with horrible recommendations from clickbait vids. He's so screwed.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I get it and agree with you 100% OP. I played FF7 for the first time 4ish years ago and I already knew that twist. I was only 18 then. Not born during the peak of FF7's popularity. A new remake is coming out for new FF fans. Would it kill y'all to not scream "AERITH DIES" from the heavens like everyone on the Earth played FF7?

NegativeCero

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like anything that's basically become a meme now is pushing it. Hell a 20 year old game that has been released multiple times throughout the years shouldn't exactly have spoiler sensitive people getting upset.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that you have a game that involves one of the most iconic scenes in gaming that was already widely talked about for decades. At this point, the big moments of that game are more or less common knowledge to the console gaming crowd anyway.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
nah man, it's ridiculous to expect people to do that.

the game is like 22 years old at this point and has been ported to every platform under the sun, her death scene is practically the first thing you hear about vii. if you haven't played it at this point, that's on you.

I agree with you, it's even harder to avoid spoilers when this game is so fondly remembered as a pioneer of the JRPG. It's like asking somone not to spoil the original matrix when the movie is old and referenced so much culturally.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
There is more value to fiction than knowing what the fuck fucking happens holy shit

Aerith dies nigga I'ma tell it loud too

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
There's a lot of people without much empathy in this thread. A remake brings in a new audience and potentially young audience who didn't have the opportunity or didn't care about the countless ports because they had no nostalgia for the game. A remake like this is undoubtedly an opportunity to jump in tho. So yes, people should watch out for their spoilers.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed there are so many hostile users in this thread.

I agree with OP. It's a courteous thing to avoid spoilers when a game is about to be re-released. Why not take the tiny amount of effort to use spoiler tags, if there is a chance it will improve someone else's experience? It's just a nice thing to do.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually really disheartened that this community is so openly hostile at the idea of preserving one of gaming's greatest moments for those who haven't had the chance to experience it yet.

Like... What the fuck does it matter to you that fans of this game want others to experience it fresh like we did? If that's possible, why would you literally go out of your way to disregard their potential experience and spoil it anyway? I don't understand.

The "decades old" argument is completely irrelevant. THIS game will be brand new, and will definitely be a first, fresh experience for so many people. This is a valid conversation, and the people mocking this thread and telling OP to fuck off have a disappointing lack of empathy.

There is more value to fiction than knowing what the fuck fucking happens holy shit

Aerith dies nigga I'ma tell it loud too

Like... The fuck is this post? Are we on Resetera or 4chan?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to personally thank everyone in the thread reminding us of the exact number of years that have elapsed since the game was released. This is very important information that we must keep in mind at all times, and it's not at all annoying to see it repeated it over and over. Bringing it to our attention truly is the hallmark of original discussion and insight you believe it to be, and it doesn't get old at all.
Rosebud is the name of his sled

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
One person's spoiler is another person's insignificant plot point.

I for one can't be bothered to legislate for every minor plot point I might mention being a spoiler just because someone who's overly spoiler sensitive thinks it is. And especially for one of the most popular games of all time, that is 20 years old.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Its a 20 year old game. I don't think you can expect people to not talk about some spoilers at this point.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really disheartened that this community is so openly hostile at the idea of preserving one of gaming's greatest moments for those who haven't had the chance to experience it yet.

Like... What the fuck does it matter to you that fans of this game want others to experience it fresh like we did? If that's possible, why would you literally go out of your way to disregard their potential experience and spoil it anyway? I don't understand.

The "decades old" argument is completely irrelevant. THIS game will be brand new, and will definitely be a first, fresh experience for so many people. This is a valid conversation, and the people mocking this thread and telling OP to fuck off have a disappointing lack of empathy.
Sephiroth killing Aeris is so ubiquitous of a spoiler that Squaresoft itself included the scene in promotional material for the game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will keep "spoiling" it and there's nothing you can do to stop me OP.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
ITT:

old.jpg

"LET ME SPOIL YOU DAMNIT!"

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Sephiroth killing Aeris is so ubiquitous of a spoiler that Squaresoft itself included the scene in promotional material for the game.
That's not counting the countless other times they did it, or gaming magazines that referenced it, or other mediums referencing it, etc.

It's actually bonkers to request what's being asked in the OP.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is less that the game is over twenty years old (you don't see too many people go out of their way to spoil plot points in Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, or even Final Fantasy VI) and more that it was a game that sold over 10 million copies and been played by even more since then. It's so ridiculously popular and iconic to gaming as a whole that it's kind of assumed that you already know everything there is to know about it before joining a gaming enthusiast forum.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know you say it in jest, but I think the actual big spoiler of FFVII is how Cloud took over Zack's identity. I see plenty of people online who don't seem to have heard of that.

I'm willing to meet halfway on Aerith's death because it's so ubiquitous that people outside of Final Fantasy's circle have heard it, but other spoilers like the whole Zack deal, Sephiroth's true nature, stuff like that should be spoiler tagged because it's not as ridiculously blown up and famous as Aerith's iconic death scene.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Should Jesus being crucified in the Bible be spoilered for future Christians?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are misconstruing the people calling out the spoiler culture. The fact of the matter is that people aren't being overly malicious or have any ill intent when they said the they aren't willing tip toe around spoilers. I include myself amongst the people that find it ridiculous that we have to tip-toe around a group of people that have yet to have the game spoiled. The game has been out for 20 years and there are tons of people out there that have yet to experience the game because they weren't around at that time. Having said that, this means that we need to tip toe around every little thing. How is it a fair expectation that people just live catering and coddling to those that have yet to be spoiled. At what point does someone make a law or rule saying X amount of days or years is fair before things are spoiled or X days/years is the requirement before leading up to a remake? It's so unreasonable it becomes asinine. The naysayers on the thread aren't saying that they refuse to be empathetic or sympathetic to the intent. What we are saying is that it's an unrealistic expectation to coddle to the whims of everything in the name of giving someone the "best experience" by not spoiling something. The reality is that we can't coddle or tip-toe around every little thing and be "considerate" all the time.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What if spoiling something for someone actually enhances their experience, and they wouldn't even know the benefit unless they stumbled across it!?!

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
There's a lot of people without much empathy in this thread. A remake brings in a new audience and potentially young audience who didn't have the opportunity or didn't care about the countless ports because they had no nostalgia for the game. A remake like this is undoubtedly an opportunity to jump in tho. So yes, people should watch out for their spoilers.

Even if we all agreed to not spoil new generations about it, try to get the rest of the whole internet to do the same. Also, I'm the hypothetical person who has never played FF7 and got spoiled about Aeris' death, I honestly don't mind knowing about it, hell, I don't even remember when or where I learned about it, and I'm interested on playing the remake because I know the game is more than just that specific plot point. The thing is pop culture among video game players, can't do much about it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Here's something that may surprise you: there may be people who weren't alive 20 years ago who might want to try this game out.

Star Wars has been around for what, 40+ years? I'm sure at some point little Timmy wanted to check the movie out only to have his asshole dad don a Darth Vader helmet and start spouting "I am your father". If all the fans stopped meme'ing that line, it could probably be obscure again.

Yeah I know that's borderline impossible, but as big as FFVII is, it's not Star Wars big. I think it's less impossible to curb the open spoilers.
You're expecting an enthusiast board to talk cryptically about a game that has been a defining cultural centerpiece for decades. This isn't some obscure thing getting brought into the spotlight - it's still one of the most widely identifiable games ever made.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I dun recall people calling for and end to RE2 spoilers when its remake was coming around? Heck Capcom themselves spoiled tons of it with their promotional material.

Dyne and Bugenhagen dies

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
know you say it in jest, but I think the actual big spoiler of FFVII is how Cloud took over Zack's identity. I see plenty of people online who don't seem to have heard of that.
That I can agree with, mainly because of how out of the way that scene is. I had to have it pointed out to me because there's no logical reason to reach the in-game scene trigger.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree.

People tend to forget that there are people who enjoy games today who weren't born yet in 1997 (which is fair if you realize that the majority of ERA users are in their 30s or even older). By the time they were into gaming, FFVII is already too old for them. FFVIIR is going to be a lot of people's first FFVII experience, and as old fans it'd be best if we respect them.

We're better than the toxic gamers community out there, aren't we?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I never played it past the first 20 mins, and I found out about 15 years ago the main twist.

At this point IMO its like saying Bruce Willis is a
handsome man
or Brad Pitt from Fight Club is really
attractive

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the idea of a young gamer experiencing that for the first time could in theory be a cool moment, but like, it's still a remake of a 20+ year old title. It's a game being made for the likes of us who played this game when it was relevant and grew up with it. Today's youth is just along for the ride.