• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so assuming what OP says is correct, and there is a significant degree of overlap in staff between survive and the previous MGS games...

doesn't this just mean that kojima + the people who did leave have much more to do with the success/quality of the prior MGS games?

well i guess we'll see how mg survive is received, but the beta last weekend did not leave a favorable impression

Nov 23, 2017
In 6 years when we still are only getting confusing trailers for death stranding we will realise that kojima was a problem.

I love the guys games but he seems like a money pit

Deleted member 40148

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 20, 2018
All I can say people have short memories. There is a post on the first page reminding what kind of comapny Konami is. Go refresh your memory.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
No they changed to this mobile direction once Hideki Hayakawa became CEO. What was this budget of MGSV btw?
Konami was already a big mobile publisher before he became a CEO, and the dude made those remarks when all the rumors surrounding Kojima was coming in.

MGSV budget was +$80M 5-6 months before launch, before marketing kicked in, the game still launched unfinished. No doubt it was the pivotal reason they bailed out.

EA literally won the title of "Worst company in America" for some years. It have the most downvoted comments on Reddit.

We even have a thread here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/worst-company-in-america-2017-era-edition.5919/
Okay, I still think it's ridiculous that the hate on Konami is at the same level considering that hatred is based on their treatment of the diva of the industry, rather than anti consumer bullshit EA, Activision etc pull off.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're right about them, everything you said. They're in better shape financially than ever. But what are we suppose to do? Be happy for them? That they survived and ceased to be relevant to gamers? Also what AA games have they put out?

I guess other Japanese game companies should follow suit then, they would all probably be in better financial shape without making traditional games for us...

You can be sad, but it's the reality. They probably wouldn't exist otherwise and as a company, they made the best decision to them. Also, gamers aren't their only costumers and only a minimal fraction of the market, so I don't know why they would cater about such things. But to be fair, they still cater to PES fans.

Also, if other companies want to follow Konami if they're in such situation as them, then go for it. You need to make some decisions to have to survive.

And AA games that they put is Bomberman R.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did Kojima mistreat her? Cos she wears a skimpy outfit? So what, many games do this, Kojima is not isolated. He also created The Boss.
She breathes through her skin??!?! Let's outrage about this.
Well, clearly that guy is a troll. None of his post made any sense.

Where did the op go anyway? He wrote that essay and packed up.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
When did Kojima mistreat her? Cos she wears a skimpy outfit? So what, many games do this, Kojima is not isolated. He also created The Boss.
She breathes through her skin??!?! Let's outrage about this.

My problem with Quiet was never her outfit (even if the cutscenes are kinda cringe) but with Kojima trying to justify it with excuses.

As we've seen with SNK Heroines dev its apparently really hard to just admit you like girls in sexy outfits.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
Disliking Konami for not creating PC / Console games of classic IPs is one thing, but I don't really understand the hate for them doing these low effort pachislot machines that are basically just them leveraging existing IPs to use as graphics. Slapping the Silent Hill name and creating some new CG movies to display is not the reason they have not made a PS4 Silent Hill game.

So you know that? I think the pachislot machines make a ton of money and leveraging existing IPs with those pachislot machines gives a perfect excuse to not make games other than gambling machines using those same IPs

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You know what we need to rethink? Blind corporate fanboyism that I keep seeing here - Konami have done zero effort to make amends to their own employees (who they still treat like absolute shit, theres a ton of info out there so you can get educated) and zero appeals to the fans of their former IPs. Let's get real, the only reason this thread is coming up is because the few instances of people calling out poor corporate behavior ruffles the feathers of those who cannot stand to see how companies are being held accounted for. And I say this while adhering and insisting on the need to respect developers and the work they do on. There's a very easy way to separate the decisions of management to the developers who have little say on what projects they work on.

This is correct and all, but let's see how many people keep the same energy with a company that is less easy to hate because they still might be putting out games you want to purchase. If the Red Dead Redemption 2 OT is posted the same week that yet another 'Rockstar crunch time / employee treatment' article is released, I can guess which thread would have more replies.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I will buy Konami games if it's appealing to me. Metal Gear Survive doesn't appeal to me, so I am not buying it.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Well, clearly that guy is a troll. None of his post made any sense.

Where did the op go anyway? He wrote that essay and packed up.

He could be busy at the moment life happens I understand, but I have seen OP's set up a certain type of thread and bail before.

My problem with Quiet was never her outfit (even if the cutscenes are kinda cringe) but with Kojima trying to justify it with excuses.

As we've seen with SNK Heroines dev its apparently really hard to just admit you like girls in sexy outfits.

Yeah I didn't care for the excuses for her outfit either but I'm not gonna get mad about it. Quiet even has an alternate outfit.
I may be wrong here but didn't Yoko Taro say something like that with regards to women in sexy outfits?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not childish to deitify Kojima in the first place, so I have no hate for Konami. I dont let such politics get into my way of enjoying their game. If people wants to boycott (potentially good) game, its their loss anyway and I couldn't care any lesser about that.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So you know that? I think the pachislot machines make a ton of money and leveraging existing IPs with those pachislot machines gives a perfect excuse to not make games other than gambling machines using those same IPs

Even if this was true, the vitriol wouldn't make sense. You're getting upset with a company for making a business decision. Again I agree that it's often disappointing but some people act like there is a Konami board room full of execs reading internet forums, laughing at people wanting a new console title, and releasing a pachislot machine out of spite.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
This is correct and all, but let's see how many people keep the same energy with a company that is less easy to hate because they still might be putting out games you want to purchase. If the Red Dead Redemption 2 OT is posted the same week that yet another 'Rockstar crunch time / employee treatment' article is released, I can guess which thread would have more replies.

There are a lot of social issues people don't want to address in the search for immediate gratification with games - I don't hold it against them when they prioritize their own happiness over the plight of others, but I do take issue when people try to shut down conversation because it'll feed into their cognitive dissonance.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Konami was already a big mobile publisher before he became a CEO, and the dude made those remarks when all the rumors surrounding Kojima was coming in.

MGSV budget was +$80M 5-6 months before launch, before marketing kicked in, the game still launched unfinished. No doubt it was the pivotal reason they bailed out.

Okay, I still think it's ridiculous that the hate on Konami is at the same level considering that hatred is based on their treatment of the diva of the industry, rather than anti consumer bullshit EA, Activision etc pull off.

Man, I just don't understand why you find it ridiculous. Konami screwed over not only with Kojima but with his old public, Del Toro, his employees, the long time fans... It's not because Kojima only. And Konami knows how to be an anti-consumer company too.

Silent Hill HD was a disrespect for the legacy of the games (never got patches).
Canceled Silent Hill PS4 game.
Giving the middle finger for his costumers (so many IPs left to rot) and not understanding your public (Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2)
PC version of PES being an old gen version for no reason.
MGS V left incomplete, the problems with the online mode.

Well, I could go on and on but the problem is not only Kojima.
Well, even if it was only because of him it would something to talk about. Kojima is a very important videogame developer.

spladam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mate, you can shot your entire life and make #fuckkonami that it isn't going to change. They're not even in the same market that you are. They don't care about you (like, no company does tbh) and with how the working culture exists in japan and also in companies, it's completely irrelevant.
Then there is no problem here, we get to vent and nobody loses. Problem solved.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
They aren't. If not by them, Konami would be probably destroyed with how things were going. They did the best thing for the company and it's doing really great for them since then. Note that I'm not talking about how employes are treated and how japanese business works but how they did better in economical parts.
Oh no, I agree with you, I was not talking about what they needed to do to financially survive. A lot of the people in charge had made back to back terrible decisions regarding their IPs. Scaling back was the smartest thing they did, but a load of the people that made terrible calls are still there and will likely be a problem again in the future.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just don't understand why you find it ridiculous. Konami screwed over not only with Kojima but with his old public, Del Toro, his employees, the long time fans... It's not because Kojima only. And Konami knows how to be an anti-consumer company too.

Silent Hill HD was a disrespect for the legacy of the games (never got patches).
Canceled Silent Hill PS4 game.
Giving the middle finger for his costumers (so many IPs left to rot) and not understanding your public (Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2)
PC version of PES being an old gen version for no reason.
MGS V left incomplete, the problems with the online mode.

Well, I could go on and on but the problem is not only Kojima.
Well, even if it was only because of him it would something to talk about. Kojima is a very important videogame developer.
Silent Hill HD happened years ago, it's shitty but there must be a reason they couldn't fix it, because ZOE HD was fixed. Canceled Silent Hills was the direct result of booting out Kojima. So many publishers let their IPs rot.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to find an indie game that accurately replaces the series it's meant to homage. Have I played some games that capture some of the magic? Sure. But there has yet to be an indie Castlevania-style game that lives up to SotN's legacy, and from what I've seen/played of Bloodstained so far, it won't either, primarily because of the graphics and animation. It might be a good game when all is said and done, but it's still just a pale facsimile of a series I greatly miss. Same goes for Silent Hill, Suikoden and Metal Gear.

An aside, and I know it's Capcom not Konami, but if you're a Ghosts n Gobilns/Ghouls n Ghosts fan, try Maldita Castilla.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
Even if this was true, the vitriol wouldn't make sense. You're getting upset with a company for making a business decision. Again I agree that it's often disappointing but some people act like there is a Konami board room full of execs reading internet forums, laughing at people wanting a new console title, and releasing a pachislot machine out of spite.

I respect the business decision. I even respect the ability to use existing IPs however that business wants. To seemingly ignore the desire to use those IPs is where my main problem lies. Konami is seemingly hoarding those IPs for themselves, and only allowing developers they deem acceptable to use those IPs. They own Bomberman (which we got a great version for the Switch), Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Adventure Island, Bloody Roar, Contra, DDR, Frogger, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Pro Evo Soccer etc..

Other than Bomberman R, Metal Gear Survive (Which has no connection to the MG mythos) and Pro Evo Soccer 2018 have any video games been announced using Konami's IPs?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Other than Bomberman R, Metal Gear Survive (Which has no connection to the MG mythos) and Pro Evo Soccer 2018 have any video games been announced using Konami's IPs?

If you mean non-arcade and non-smartphone titles then I don't think so. Even the titles on those platforms aren't IPs like winning eleven and yugioh, though.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Konami has made too many mistakes, too often. I'm sure none of their employees are evil puppy-kickers, but the recent news that they had blacklisted IGN is just another slam against them.

They're a big company, we're consumers. Survive clearly wasn't what people wanted, there's a higher chance they'll be forced to adapt now.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Where I fall into the #fuckkonami camp is less to do with them making a boring looking game and more to do with their relocating of staff to shit jobs in the interest of having them resign rather than trying to properly manage the situation.

However I reckon that's more a symptom of a toxic japanese corporate culture than anything intrinsic to Konami. But then it gets way worse when you read stories of Konami blackballing former employees from accessing healthcare.

Just none of it is good. The dull looking survival game thing is just a dull looking game, nothing more.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'll treat them the same way I treat EA and other publishers who offer things I don't want: with cold indifference. I just happen to have a more personal stake in the Metal Gear IP than I do many others, and I'm allowed to voice my displeasure over the direction the franchise is taking. I think that's a reasonable stance to take.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2001. Silent Hill 2. Fantastic.

2003. Silent Hill 3. Fantastic.

2004. Silent Hill 4. Pretty good.

After this, the series starts going downhill until we finally arrive at:

2015. Silent Hill pachinko.

Life is not fair sometimes.

Konami doesn't strike me as a great place to work at based on the things I have read. Although Kojima could have been costing them a fortune as well. No doubt he is amazingly talented though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe not, but "Love Plus Every" is supposed to be a thing this winter. We've had no updates, but I have high hopes for it.
This version is also good

I5NDGRM.jpg

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I respect the business decision. I even respect the ability to use existing IPs however that business wants. To seemingly ignore the desire to use those IPs is where my main problem lies. Konami is seemingly hoarding those IPs for themselves, and only allowing developers they deem acceptable to use those IPs. They own Bomberman (which we got a great version for the Switch), Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Adventure Island, Bloody Roar, Contra, DDR, Frogger, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Pro Evo Soccer etc..

The Zone of the Enders remake

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Never was that to begin with.

What they did was shitty but its not like Kojima is a god that needs his name on the box to be worshipped. Well at least for most.

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This all falls into a bigger issue of misunderstanding how any piece of media is created. People tend to view most modern media as created by a single talented individual and any success or failure that media receives will be attributed to them. This is very good for corporations and publishers as it allows them to cut ties with the "issue" if something goes wrong or improve their marketing if that person does well, so you can see why this concept would be encouraged and developed over time. Unfortunately, this act of super humanization has the negative effect of dehumanizing the actual people who are doing most of the legwork on games or film or whatever. These can only be seen as collective works but, either due to natural oversimplification by audiences or intentional encouragement of the model by publishers and business interests of the industry, it never seems to end up that way.

Metal Gear Survive is an abomination though and every human individual working on that game should look at it as a prime example of what not to do in the future.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I get the sentiment, but there's nothing here that Konami didn't bring unto themselves, horribly mishandling their problems. I'm also sure the devs of Survive have a good grasp of the hole they're in with fans due to circumstances they couldn't control.

I hope Survive does well enough for them. I'm down for seeing more crazy idea games like Survive or the old Metal Gear Acid games.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Bah i'm only angry with them for their misuse of, otherwise, dormant IP but yeah that's about it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Creating a hypothetical where the victim is now a terrible person seems pretty out of line, and then making predictions about the fan reaction to prop up your defense of a company...because its a bigger issue that just the company!
Is that the best argument out there?
Maybe I framed that awkwardly. Let me reframe.

I don't think anyone besides trolls thinks the actions of Konami's poorly defined upper management are good or even defendable. They are horrible people acting in a poor way. A little typically for Japanese business culture? Sure, but that doesn't excuse them.

But there's a core problem here. People parrot "FuckKonami" because they have NO IDEA who actually runs Konami. Their world is split into the celebrity game designer Hideo Kojima vs the nebulous "Konami". Everyone from the development team to the guy/gal who runs the twitter account to the CEO is "Konami". In order to make this work, they pretend Konami has no game designers and all the game designers work for KojiPro 2.0. The fact KojiPro was dissolved into Konami and now KojiPro is simply "Konami" is an inconvenient truth. They direct their blank and empty and largely impotent rage at the faceless company instead of saying, "This person in charge of Konami did a bad thing."

Crytek are a company full of incredibly talented and passionate people. But the company is run by the Yerli Brothers. Cevat Yerli is a visionary game director. Irrefutable. He directed some absolutely incredible videogames. But he does not have a Hideo Kojima-style cult of personality. His failings are placed on his shoulders and not deflected to the publisher or other people in general. The terrible crunch and failure to pay employees and all that stuff -- because he isn't worshipped as a design god who somehow created Crysis all on his own, he faces the music. Wheras with Hideo Kojima, every single problem with Metal Gear Solid V is blamed on "Konami". That's what happens with a cult of personality. It's why Activision gets blamed for VTMB being a broken mess. It's why everyone but Obsidian gets blamed for their games being unpolished. They're the creative visionaries. If only they'd be given infinite money and infinite deadline extensions. It's never their fault. Metal Gear Solid V's bad writing? That's Konami's fault because they wouldn't let Kojima finish the imaginary Chapter 3. I'm not joking here. People were so obsessed with the cult of Kojima that instead of saying, "You designed this less than greatly," all the flaws were instead blamed on the vague and undefined Konami.

Some people say, "I don't hate Konami employees. I just hate the evil management." This would be totally fair except "FuckKonami" doesn't do that. It paints the entire company as being faceless greedy executives who mistreated and perhaps still mistreat, their employees. It's incredibly low effort meme nonsense. If people have a problem with the actions of Konami management, attack the management, not the game designers. It's like looking at footage of Hunt: Showdown and saying, "Fuck Crytek," instead of "Pay your damn employees and issue a public apology to those poor people at Crytek Shanghai and Crytek UK and everywhere else who suffered because of you, Cevat Yerli." That's just stupid. It's not the fault of game developers that they share the name "Konami". Nor is it the fault of anyone else within Konami as a corporate entity except those who are actually responsible -- these people are almost never cited because there's a language/business barrier and it's way easier to just say, "FuckKonami".

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Honestly, I'm not even mad at Konami anymore. More damningly, I just don't care about them.

They have nothing to offer me as a publisher, and their developers aren't releasing anything notable. Would I be happy if they somehow started making good games again? Absolutely! I would be ecstatic if we got a good Castlevania game again or if they hired Murayama back to finish the Suikoden series. Or if they gave a Japanese team the time and budget to make a new Silent Hill. Or if they brought Platinum back to make Metal Gear Rising 2.

But it's been a long time since they've expressed any desire to do anything of the sort, and the Survive beta was such an awful mess I couldn't even play it for more than an hour before I just needed to stop and do anything else.

Like so many fallen studios before them, I miss Konami. But as of right now, they occupy about as much of my brain space as THQ or Volition.

THQ Nordic is putting out some very ambitious games and is growing rapidly as a publisher. I would say to keep an eye on them.

As for Konami, I mainly care about the BEMANI series and wonder why they half ass much of their output from their classic IPs in lieu of shoveling out pachinko games. SNK learned that is not sustainable and I feel that Konami will learn that, too.

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
Warning: Personal Attack.
The "Fuckonami" movement and the blind Kojima defending ever since is one of the dumbest thing I've seen in gaming.

They wouldn't do that to a giant Western pub, and we don't know whether Kojima was also at fault. He likely was but let's just shit on Konami anyway because PACHINKO. In fact, the reason I see Konami leaving AAA gaming is because they got scared shitless about the new gen development costs seeing how much MGS5 was costing them, a bare-bones MGS game that's not even finished.

You're either a troll, or so dense that it would be better for the forum if you refrained from posting.

Oct 27, 2017
They did nothing until now to let public opinion change about them. Let time pass and people will give them credit if they go back to making the quality videogames everyone expects from them,

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Some people say, "I don't hate Konami employees. I just hate the evil management." This would be totally fair except "FuckKonami" doesn't do that. It paints the entire company as being faceless greedy executives who mistreated and perhaps still mistreat, their employees. It's incredibly low effort meme nonsense. If people have a problem with the actions of Konami management, attack the management, not the game designers. It's like looking at footage of Hunt: Showdown and saying, "Fuck Crytek," instead of "Pay your damn employees and issue a public apology to those poor people at Crytek Shanghai and Crytek UK and everywhere else who suffered because of you, Cevat Yerli." That's just stupid. It's not the fault of game developers that they share the name "Konami". Nor is it the fault of anyone else within Konami as a corporate entity except those who are actually responsible -- these people are almost never cited because there's a language/business barrier and it's way easier to just say, "FuckKonami".

what? so when people protest corporations, like this

GP03T7H_Web_size_with_credit_line.jpg

do they have to clarify who it is their criticizing?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The way I protest Konami is by not paying Konami any money.

I think it will continue to work just fine, if unfortunately become too easy to count as an actual protest, if they keep going the way they've been going.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Konami did a really shitty thing with how they handed the firing of Hideo Kojima, but people need to wake up and realize that big projects like Metal Gear Solid is not the sole work of one man.

It's evident that lot of veteran Metal Gear Solid developers stayed behind with Konami to work on Survive and it shows, it's not a bad game by any means.

People can shit all they want on the business decisions Konami makes as a corporation, but they should stop shitting on Metal Gear Survive for the simple reason that Kojima wasn't attached to it.

YuriCloud3

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I would agree if survive at least got to be a decent game, but no , for me the game is mediocre and konami doesn't got my forgiveness.