• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying platformers would be better without air control or "coyote time". It sounds right, but it just doesn't work in practice.
I'm not advocating nuking them from existing games. I just tend to like games that don't design their combat systems for i-frames. Like Sekiro largely removed them and that is a large part why it has my favorite From combat system.

Nov 27, 2020
United States
Rolling is best when it gives i frames, it makes it more obvious to me. I like non-rolling animations for games without i-frames like Hollow Knight (unless you count the shadow dash which makes the invincibility more obvious)

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I do prefer dashes to rolls, since dashes make combat feel a bit more fluid and faster paced while still remaining timing-based.

Jun 6, 2020
There's a lot of opportunity to grow here I completely agree. There are some instances mentioned where something very fancy takes the place of the animation and I hope more games do that. Anything that fits the theme of the game is better than a jarring rolling animation.

Also this thread is the prime example of why I am really not enjoying this site. Just pages of 2 word or single gif responses.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly fascinating to see the different ways developers use to show the character dodging in a flashy way. Personally I don't really mind one way or the other if rolling vanishes as an action game staple, but only as long as the new dodge -- whether it be dashing or sliding or whatnot -- clearly telegraphs when the invincibility frames end. Although that said, I did like the feel of Bloodborne's hunter dash more than the Dark Souls roll, especially when dodging combo attacks.

Of course for me personally, the best of both worlds is having a roll dodge and a dash dodge, with both types serving a unique defensive function. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix is my favourite example of this; both Dodge Roll and Quick Run grant invincibility, but the former is shorter and allows Sora to recover quicker while the latter covers a much greater distance, allowing Sora to close the gap if an enemy escapes melee range.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
With rolling, new players think they have to roll completely out of the way to not get hit, usually resulting in players who constantly roll backwards or sideways and getting punished for it; instead of moving through the enemies attack and countering. And I don't blame them because who thinks 'I'm gonna roll my body through the axe!'?
How does quickstepping through an axe make any more sense than rolling through?

Seems like a matter of aesthetics and visual grammar to me. If the player learns that the "cartwheel" animation has i-frames, they'll use that just like your beloved quickstep! Your immersion be damned!

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne changed the roll to a dash because it was meant to be a faster action but I can't see a quick step option working as well in souls where the roll is mostly there to communicate that little bit of lag at the end of the dodge.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm open to there being something else, but quicksteps never feel as good. Rolling allows you to conserve your momentum and feels natural to run in/out of, quicksteps are just quick bursts of movement that usually feel less natural in terms of movement mechanics despite being more of a realistic action.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Anytime I start a 3rd person game and I hit B, I better roll.. If not, it's getting uninstalled.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
no way bro

1C6C170CD6B144C4969E89BEE58F770CF05A71AA

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
Dash doesn't work in every game. In valhalla, it looks kinda stupid. A roll would be better suited there I think.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The dodge in The Surge games feels so good to me. I like it more than rolling in Souls games.

I beat The Surge 2 with all dodge and not a single parry.

Nov 17, 2017
Nah, why is immersion important on that level? If Sora from Kingdom Hearts isn't rolling around bad guys like he's Sonic the Hedgehog, I want nothing to do with it.

With rolling, new players think they have to roll completely out of the way to not get hit, usually resulting in players who constantly roll backwards or sideways and getting punished for it; instead of moving through the enemies attack and countering. And I don't blame them because who thinks 'I'm gonna roll my body through the axe!'?
You just experiment and figure it out. I feel like if you're the type that would never figure that sort of thing out, it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I can't imagine it would significantly be a detriment to them enjoying the game by not playing so optimally.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The long jump/dive is superior (with the prone recovery window,) but I love me some good dodge rolls.

Come to think of it I love the dive in Last of Us 2. Its so good.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like an asshole.
Do you guys not just roll around everywhere you go IRL because it's faster?