• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's immersion breaking
vZ3SPOS.gif

Oct 25, 2017
We need to add rolling to first person games as well. Keep the view from your character's eyes through the roll.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't understand this 'immersion' thing. Like, are the people who tout "immersion" in a sensory deprivation tank with noise cancelling headphones and a VR headset on their head? And as soon as they see a character do something unrealistic they think "ah god. I'm playing a game, aren't i?"

I'll never be so immersed in a game that I'm fully unaware that I'm playing a game, and I kind of doubt anyone else will either.

As far as I can tell, after seeing "immersion" bandied about for a decade, is its some sort of "know it when I see it" verisimilitude thing, where immersion being broken is always an unforgivable sin even though I've never felt "immersion" once in my lifetime playing games. Dodgerolls are the bridge too far in terms of controls in this particular instance.

Admittedly, as someone said before, the "ohshit" scramble that happens in some games (Resident Evil Revelations 2 had a short side-hop as the dodge maneuver) might fit it better than a perfect gymnast dive, tuck, and roll, however, at the same time, I've never felt a roll feel terribly out of place--maybe because I've seen a lot of shitty action films with dumb tactical rolls all the time. Plus, yeah, most game heroes are generally athletic enough that it never reels like "this don't really seem like something they could do".

Rolling proves itself to be better in that gams. Rolling is consistent. Carlos punch is weird the timing is weird and it annoyed me.

Both honestly felt equally finicky in my opinion. Could just be I suck at the game (spoiler: It is because I in fact suck at the game).

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Can we get rid of fast travel in video games? As someone that can't fast travel irl, it really breaks immersion any time the feature is presented in video games.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I find 3rd person action games do an acceptable job at making these animations believable. It's the multiplayer FPS' with all the strafing, bunny hopping and crouching that looks janky and comical.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do some of you get bothered by the most insignificant things so much?

I will never understand these immersion arguments.
Because they have no argument. It's one of those dumb things people say to really mean they don't like a thing. Meanwhile all the other unrealistic things, HUDs, and pausing during inventory navigation, and other game-y things are perfectly fine with them

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The key thing about rolling is that it clearly changes the silhouette of the character, giving a visual tell to a gameplay state change.

"Quick stepping" is terrible for that.

EDIT: ^^^ cartwheeling (or a round off in the above image) is great for clear silhouette change as well.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
The key thing about rolling is that it clearly changes the silhouette of the character, giving a visual tell to a gameplay state change.

"Quick stepping" is terrible for that.

EDIT: ^^^ cartwheeling (or a round off in the above image) is great for clear silhouette change as well.

What if the quick step was accompanied by a Kermit the Frog arm flail? That'd break up the silhouette as well.
tenor.gif

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne dodge is great, I do prefer that animation over rolling.

But let's just go full ninja in all games instead
giphy.webp

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, the quickstep in Bloodborne is insanely satisfying compared to the roll in Souls. Just visually, it screams "i aint getting this cape dirty, also fuck your reach attack"

I'll take a good quickstep over parrying or rolling any day

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Can we get rid of fast travel in video games? As someone that can't fast travel irl, it really breaks immersion any time the feature is presented in video games.
Not far enough. We need all games to measure our height, weight and obesity to get a closer account of our bmi and general fitness level to determine if we can even do anything the game asks of us.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, the quickstep in Bloodborne is insanely satisfying compared to the roll in Souls. Just visually, it screams "i aint getting this cape dirty, also fuck your reach attack"

I appreciate it when games offer a quickstep as the dope-looking showoff fast dodge move, but you can double-tap the quickstep to roll in case you really need to create some distance

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, rolling is fine as long as I get i-frames.
What I hate is dodge moves without i-frames.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked how Ghost of Tsushima handles this, where 1 tap is a dodge and 2 taps is a roll. Of course it makes two quick dodges harder to pull off, but the game usually doesn't require so much fast dodging around.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

It feels like your character is more skilled as well. You're upright, keeping your eye on the opponent and able to respond with a quick counter. Rolling in comparison is throwing your body on the ground and taking your eyes off your opponent.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Did no one read the OP.

The problem is that rolls completely fail to communicate the iframes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why not a system of different animations that respond to environmental and combat feedback? Sometimes, you really DO need to roll to get out of the way, but sometimes you can just step to the side. I say add more stuff in there, not to replace the roll entirely.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
You "everything needs to be realistic and serious looking and immersive!" guys are just the worst, always trying to ruin all the fun for everyone else.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Why not a system of different animations that respond to environmental and combat feedback? Sometimes, you really DO need to roll to get out of the way, but sometimes you can just step to the side. I say add more stuff in there, not to replace the roll entirely.

Dark Souls had the Wood Grain Ring change the roll to a ninja flip, we just need more rings to give us different animations.