• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
On the old forum, I had a bit of a reputation for being "the Wild Arms guy". People would tag me on Wild Arms related news, because they knew I loved this series more than any other at the time. I stan more for Terranigma and Shadow Hearts these days, BUT! I still have a place in my heart for Wild Arms.

There aren't any other JRPGs out there with the wild west setting mixed with fantasy and sci-fi. Nor are there any other JRPGs out there with the tool system, which adds the puzzle aspect to the game... probably one of the most beloved things about the series. I don't know if a sequel would be the best idea or not in terms of grabbing new people and pulling them in. They might think they need to play the first 5 games to understand number 6. So maybe a reboot is the right choice. Either way, I wouldn't care. I just want more Wild Arms!

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While I would love to see it, even more so a good budgeted version that leans even more into the western aesthetics, given recent talks of Sony's approach to where to focus it's effort, I would say it's a lost cause.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Honestly? Just give me the Wild Arms 5 PS2 classics port to PS3 that Japan got and I'll be a happy camper.

Also Wild Arms XF is criminally underrated/unknown.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hopefully, one's announced.
I mean, there is a Suikoden-spiritual successor and a Saga Frontier Remaster coming, so a Wild Arms-something would round it out.
Well, at least, in terms of old PS1 games I was pretty into.

Adeptfawn

Oct 28, 2017
Even if they weren't amazing on a gameplay level I'd love another Wild Arms game just to get a new soundtrack. They always deliver on that front.
Wild Arms 5 for example was nothing special on a story or gameplay level (not bad, just not amazing) but it had one of the best battle themes of all time

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
14676750232920.gif

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Loved WA2 and 3. Didn't play any of the others. I think i played some sort of SRPG one at some point which was kinda cool.

Would love more from the series

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wild Arms Million Memories didn't do that well ;(

Wild-Arms-Million-Memories-image-1.png

So iunno. Media.Vision is currently both the biggest and quietest it's ever been. They went from releasing one game a year to nothing since Valkyria Chronicles 4 in 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
Media Vision has been off the radar since VC4. I wonder what they're up to. Wild Arms is up there with Suikoden as far as amazing franchises that have been as good as dead since the PS2

I remember having hope when we got Wild Arms 3 as a PS2 classic a couple years back..

You can make a pretty sizable list of abandoned jrpg franchises from the PS2 era..

Wild Arms, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, .....GRANDIA

All of them added things to the genre you still don't see commonly today

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Wild Arms director done with Symphogear? Now is the time!

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got the first Wild Arms as a Christmas gift from my parents. I had not asked for it, I had not played any JRPGs before (other than Pokémon), they knew nothing about games, I have no idea how they ended up buying it.

But it turned out to be an absolutely beautiful game. I haven't played it since my childhood and frankly I'd be a bit afraid to, if it isn't as magical as it is in my memories.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love another Wild Arms game. I think its unique asthetic makes it stand out among JRPG. They were never the most compelling stories but I think a fresh team could give it a good shake. The JRPG market is way less crowded these days too. I know the series never blew up but I like it. Never finished 3-5 though, might have to change that if I ever beat Xenoblade and DQ11.

Nov 2, 2018
Wild Arms 1 is a legendary game for me - one of the only games I own I've never completed. I remember getting it when I was quite young and getting stuck for years at the festival looking for the damn boy with the balloon.

Furthest I ever got was the first assault on the demon ship or maybe a bit past it when you get a plane. How much longer did I have to go?

Never made it past the password of Jacks first temple nor did the wind(?) guardian ever answer my call 😆

Such a crazy, meaty game. Western/Fantasy setting with splashes of sci-fi is great.

I would love an uncomplicated combat system like the first game has, straight turn based Pokémon - hell I'd be happy making it with sprites and using that to make it Skyrim huge.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
I love the series too.
It would be awesome to see it come back in any shape or format.
But a new game would be amazing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wild ARMs was pretty neat on the PS1. Never played any of the sequels though.

I'd welcome a remake/remaster that was 100% 2D. Those 3D battles age the game so bad. Although honestly I don't think Sony has any interest in either this IP or in making jrpgs.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
On the old forum, I had a bit of a reputation for being "the Wild Arms guy". People would tag me on Wild Arms related news, because they knew I loved this series more than any other at the time. I stan more for Terranigma and Shadow Hearts these days, BUT! I still have a place in my heart for Wild Arms.

There aren't any other JRPGs out there with the wild west setting mixed with fantasy and sci-fi. Nor are there any other JRPGs out there with the tool system, which adds the puzzle aspect to the game... probably one of the most beloved things about the series. I don't know if a sequel would be the best idea or not in terms of grabbing new people and pulling them in. They might think they need to play the first 5 games to understand number 6. So maybe a reboot is the right choice. Either way, I wouldn't care. I just want more Wild Arms!

As the 'wild arms guy', youre required by law to post your ranking and impression of all the wild arms you've played

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy remasters of 3,4,5 and XF but I don't think they're any more likely than Shadow Hearts or Suikoden remastered

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
As the 'wild arms guy', youre required by law to post your ranking and impression of all the wild arms you've played

Mmm, I'd need to replay them all to actually give impressions!

But 1 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 4 is my current ranking. I love them all... except 4. I hate 4.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
First game in the series is in my personal top 10 and it is the sole reason I bought the infamous Playstation Mini Classic orwhateveritscalled.

Don't need a new one because the series got worse and worse with every new entry in the series.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
what about a remake?

HOLY ... FUCK

edit: went to the channel to find the 2nd disc openning and could not find ... DEAR LORD don't do this to me
The first one already has a PS2 remake:
wildarms.fandom.com

Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Wild Arms Alter Code: F (ワイルドアームズ アルターコード・F ,Wairudo Āmuzu Arutā Kōdo Efu?), or WA:F is an enhanced remake of the original Wild Arms game, featuring entirely new 3D environments, five new playable characters and many other improvements. The game's North American release was postponed several...

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The first one already has a PS2 remake:
wildarms.fandom.com

Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Wild Arms Alter Code: F (ワイルドアームズ アルターコード・F ,Wairudo Āmuzu Arutā Kōdo Efu?), or WA:F is an enhanced remake of the original Wild Arms game, featuring entirely new 3D environments, five new playable characters and many other improvements. The game's North American release was postponed several...
It does... I don't recommend it though. It ruins the characters (especially Jack) and the music isn't nearly as good.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We did a Wild Arms April Fool's Day joke a few years back.

Untamed1large.png

Yes, I know that the art style there is more Etrian Odyssey than Wild Arms, but c'est la vie. :)

If Sony ever wants to license out their IPs to indies, I'd love to do a retro-style Wild Arms game. Also, I really hope at some point, they do a collection of all the games (1-5, the remake, and XF).

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, nah, it had a good run. It has five games in the main series, a reimagining of the first game, and a strategy game for the PSP. Sometimes a franchise just needs to finish, and it didn't have the main stream appeal that something like Final Fantasy did to keep it afloat. I'm super happy the series exists, fantastic games, but it'd be past its prime to come back.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, nah, it had a good run. It has five games in the main series, a reimagining of the first game, and a strategy game for the PSP. Sometimes a franchise just needs to finish, and it didn't have the main stream appeal that something like Final Fantasy did to keep it afloat. I'm super happy the series exists, fantastic games, but it'd be past its prime to come back.
I mean, many games deserve to come back since JRPG systems have sort of regressed to being standard again.

Do any currently running JRPGs have anything like the tool system?
Do any currently running JRPGs have a battle system like Grandia's?
Do any currently running JRPGs have the judgment ring from Shadow Hearts?

I miss these systems a lot. They all have their place! Surely someone with a Vagrant Story avatar would understand!

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not on the top of my list like Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, or Shadow Hearts, but I'd love to see Wild Arms again.

Media Vision has been off the radar since VC4. I wonder what they're up to. Wild Arms is up there with Suikoden as far as amazing franchises that have been as good as dead since the PS2

I remember having hope when we got Wild Arms 3 as a PS2 classic a couple years back..

You can make a pretty sizable list of abandoned jrpg franchises from the PS2 era..

Wild Arms, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, .....GRANDIA

All of them added things to the genre you still don't see commonly today

There's so many abandoned JRPG franchises/series. BoF, Vandal Hearts, Jade Cocoon, Legaia, Lunar, Lufia, Valkyrie Profile, Parasite Eve, Chrono, Front Mission, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, Arc the Lad, Ogre, FF Tactics, Xenosaga.

We did a Wild Arms April Fool's Day joke a few years back.

Untamed1large.png

Yes, I know that the art style there is more Etrian Odyssey than Wild Arms, but c'est la vie. :)

If Sony ever wants to license out their IPs to indies, I'd love to do a retro-style Wild Arms game. Also, I really hope at some point, they do a collection of all the games (1-5, the remake, and XF).

Neat art.

Have you ever been in touch with a publisher about making a game based on an IP (besides Penny Arcade)?

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
WA3 is great, and really deserves more attention.

I still need to give Alter Code F a fair shake and actually try WA5. Also tempted to try WA4 again even though it didn't really click with me.

I would buy remasters of 3,4,5 and XF but I don't think they're any more likely than Shadow Hearts or Suikoden remastered

Honestly, the PS2 on PS4 version of WA3 is solid, and as close to a remaster as we're likely to ever get. The game's art style holds up well.

Shame they never did the same for 4/5/ACF but I'm sure the rights issues pop up there since Sony didn't release those themselves in the west.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm so IN op.
I loved, adored Wild Arms 1, 2 and 3. The series fell off for me afterwards but I enjoyed AlterCode F and the psp strat one. I would be hyped if the series came back. And not a mobile game lol

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I played the first one to completion and liked it quite a bit.

Wild Arms 2 was sort of a downgrade. I was so confused with the translation/story and the discovery system on the world map was annoying. Quit after like 5 hours.

funny thing is I have practically every game in the series. I think I am missing maybe one?

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
There's a rumor on r/PS5 about a new Wild Arms game made by MediaVision lol

www.resetera.com

Arrowhead(Helldivers, Magicka) announces next project | A 3rd person shooter co-op experience for next-gen consoles/PC News

Arrowhead Game Studios is working on a Next-Generation 3rd Person Cooperative Shooter The Stockholm-based studio, known for their uncompromising game mechanics and intense cooperative gameplay, are well underway on their next project: a 3rd person shooter featuring next-gen graphics...

Wtf. This is the first one on that list.

Please be true.